• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Metaknight Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Yeah, according to M2K Diddy counters MK.
If you haven't noticed M2K tends to overrate the characters he loses to.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
You can say the same for Melee Jigglypuff that you do for MK.

The 2 top jiggs players consistantly getting top 2 in national tournaments.........
wait.....
That's worse than MK.
Ban Jigglypuff? nope.

Smash 64 Pikachu doesn't have a counter or at least an even matchup, better than MK.
Smash 64 Pikachu doesn't have bad legal stages, like MK
Pikachu has no weaknesses, like MK(stupid statement because imo, both MK and Pikachu have their own problems.)
Wins players get with Smash 64 Pikachu are often discredited because of the level Pikachu is at....not even MK has that.
Smash 64 Pikachu isn't banned....MK is not close to Pikachu's level of ban-ability.

Judo777

Smash Master
You can say the same for Melee Jigglypuff that you do for MK.
well according to chue fox counters jigglypuff! haha see what i did thar?

If not i guess u have 2 equally good characters that have no counters including each other....... Now if only brawl had something like that.

Jash

Smash Lord
MK makes me so angry, but there's really no use in hoping for him to get banned. We have to deal with his BS or just quit the game. Or you can join them, that's a 3rd choice.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
I like how in the matches Gnes posted, m2k lost his lead trying to camp.

He won because of how he did when actually fighting diddy.

MK doesn't outcamp diddy. That's just ********.

Judo777

Smash Master

But in the end he won the game because he did camp. he may have lost his lead while trying to camp a few times but gnes took a ton of damage trying to dislodge that lead whilst he might have done without taking hits had m2k not camped. Again the thing that makes MKs camping so great is that he doesnt have to do it. He can win without using it its just another option. Similarly to sheiks tether which is the best in the whole game why? cause she never has to use it to recover (also its invincible on retraction but the first is more importsnt imo).

rathy Aro

Smash Lord

M2K wasn't committed to camping him. He lost his advantage because he kept trying to randomly (and stupidly) be aggressive. Though ppl like to think camping takes no skill, there's is still a proper way to do it.

Jash gonna give mks da dyck arrow.

I think I'm gonna be anti-ban again and with the same reasoning I was anti-ban before. MK has not proved himself to be broken yet. Stop placing limitations on him or banning strategies that haven't even had a chance to flourish. If he is that broken (and he prob is) then it will be VERY apparent once we stop prematurely banning everything he gets. I imagined Akuma got banned at the point when ppl who even mained him realized their character was just on a different lvl then everyone else's and it made the game stupid. MK doesn't really do that now, but he could with planking and scrooging (unbanning idc is a little pointless lol).

OverLade

Smash Hero
LOL @ Fox having counters.
You clearly don't play melee.
The difference here is that being good with fox is far harder than being good with MK. Fox is the hardest character to learn in Melee. MK is the easiest character to learn in Brawl.

Having no bad matchups doesn't matter when most people can only play him at 56% of his potential.

OverLade

Smash Hero

LOL don't base your opinion on one match. Just because M2K doesn't camp right doesn't mean that MK doesn't outcamp diddy. Gnes wrongly tried to use his match as a statement just like you're now wrongly trying to make a statement.

How about you check out some DPHAT vs Gnes instead son?

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
Larry's picking up a whole other character for the MK match-up.

So ... See Ally, and ADHD.

ADHD loses to top MKs now.

So ... See Ally.

He's pro-ban.

So ...

Good point!
I never said I was picking up another character for Metaknight =/

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
glad someone's backing me up, volume... thanks.

Rathy, if we unban the broken strategies, and MK dominates, the anti-banners will attribute it to the strategies, not the character. By banning so many of his broken strategies and seeing how MK is still broken even with all these ridiculous limits, maybe someone will finally see the justice (Not "MK is justice" justice O_o) in banning him, at least for 6 months. Right?

Or maybe they'll keep on making excuses... on second thought, that sounds more like it...

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
The difference here is that being good with fox is far harder than being good with MK. Fox is the hardest character to learn in Melee. MK is the easiest character to learn in Brawl.

Having no bad matchups doesn't matter when most people can only play him at 56% of his potential.
Fox is pretty easy to learn actually. Uthrow uair on everyone, laser camp shiek/peach, look for grabs, drillshine to either grabs or usmash or thunders if they fall over, nair falcon a lot..etc. You can have mediocre spacing with him and still do well because how good his pressure game is.

Believe it or not you can't have mediocre spacing with MK and do well, people will destroy you lol.

Gnes

Smash Master
LOL don't base your opinion on one match. Just because M2K doesn't camp right doesn't mean that MK doesn't outcamp diddy. Gnes wrongly tried to use his match as a statement just like you're now wrongly trying to make a statement.

How about you check out some DPHAT vs Gnes instead son?
Naw i didnt use the wrong match...i just wanted to use that one since i was quoting m2k and will forever be salty LOL.

and u gay...i was so bad against mk back then :(

Roie

Smash Cadet
Of course you can base balance off of one game. A game's balance is defined in the context of the current metagame - that is to imply, M2K is the only metaknight that knows what he is talking about.

OverLade

Smash Hero
Fox is pretty easy to learn actually. Uthrow uair on everyone, laser camp shiek/peach, look for grabs, drillshine to either grabs or usmash or thunders if they fall over, nair falcon a lot..etc. You can have mediocre spacing with him and still do well because how good his pressure game is.

Believe it or not you can't have mediocre spacing with MK and do well, people will destroy you lol.
But an average player won't have a higher degree of success in Melee JUST from picking up Fox like MK. That's more likely to happen with a character like marth or w/e.

Anyway I digress.

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
^I think Roie is trollin'^

Regardless, M2K's being a bit of a jerk, but let's quit antagonizing him... he's doing a good enough job of that himself :p

Back on topic, um... Well, uh... hm.., I guess there isn't much to say on-topic right now, is there? I can discuss Melee Fox's simplicity, Gnes's saltiness, or the hordes of trolls... actually, I already touched on the trolls, so I guess I'm on-topic...

Seriously, guys, let's get back to Discussing Meta Knight here on the Official Meta Knight Discussion... what do you say? O_o

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
aight

meta knight

IS

JUSTICE
*facepalm*

MK can't be justice cause hes not on Captain Falcons team at all times and Captain Falcon's ally is justice!

Ok seriously guys we should try a temp ban after MLG for sure.
lol and yes, definitely push for one. Etecoon, Judo, the link in my sig is for a group I joined that's serving as a sort of petition group for the 6-month ban... the more people we get, the better, so just something for you bro-banners and/or temp-banners out there to keep in mind.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
It's just so difficult, not being able to practice the matchup that is.
The moon has some good MKs I heard, plus you'd get to be the best toon link on the moon.

Regardless, we'll see what happens, and come on man, if you give up, the mk's are definately gonna win.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Seriously, guys, let's get back to Discussing Meta Knight here on the Official Meta Knight Discussion... what do you say? O_o
I like that spinny move he has. I also like when he goes invisible. His special thingy where he traps you in his cape and cuts really big is ok. It could be better.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord

But his pressure game requires you to be technically consistent. If you miss an l-cancel with fox that could easily be death. If you miss-space something with MK you'll get 50 percent at the max. Also you can often just outspeed your opponent with mk (upB, nair, tilts). Saying that mk is easier than fox is laughable. >.>

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
etecoon, that's not very nice... but it may be true. He can keep working for that ban, and that would help him... right? Like the link in my sig (I'll attach my sig to this post)

We can't givve up! Only anti-ban can give up and still win! After all, they have justice on their side, and META KNIGHT IS JUSTICE! (why, oh why do we keep saying that?)

EDIT: forgot to put my sig on... again...

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
Here's my sig with the link to the group that I've been promising all page:

EDIT: I don't know what's going on... you guys can go back a page if you need to see it that bad :p

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
But an average player won't have a higher degree of success in Melee JUST from picking up Fox like MK. That's more likely to happen with a character like marth or w/e.

Anyway I digress.
I don't know anyone who's had a higher degree of success in brawl by just switching to MK without putting a ton of work and time into the character.

Really I just mean you can sit at home and practice technical stuff with fox but you really need good experience to pick up MK and do well with him in a short amount of time. I don't think he's easy to play at all because everyone knows how to play against him. Yeah his technical stuff is easy, but every characters technical stuff is easy in brawl save like..Ic's and maybe diddy lol.

OverLade

Smash Hero
I don't know anyone who's had a higher degree of success in brawl by just switching to MK without putting a ton of work and time into the character.

Really I just mean you can sit at home and practice technical stuff with fox but you really need good experience to pick up MK and do well with him in a short amount of time. I don't think he's easy to play at all because everyone knows how to play against him. Yeah his technical stuff is easy, but every characters technical stuff is easy in brawl save like..Ic's and maybe diddy lol.
I'm not even saying a higher degree of success I'm saying the degree of success relative to the amount of time you put into a character. Many players who switched to MK/began using MK began placing higher and more consistently overall. Once you actually get good with MK, half the cast should become unviable against you if you know your options. Anyway it's not so much comparing him to melee fox as comparing him to other characters in brawl because Melee fox is only really the best character at a level beyond what anyones able to consistently pull off.

And concerning good experience with MK, it's relative. Seibrik/Ally had very basic MKs but still saw success because of how good the character is (obviously they're both very smart players, but neither of them practiced the character).

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
But his pressure game requires you to be technically consistent. If you miss an l-cancel with fox that could easily be death. If you miss-space something with MK you'll get 50 percent at the max. Also you can often just outspeed your opponent with mk (upB, nair, tilts). Saying that mk is easier than fox is laughable. >.>
That's true of almost any character. Melee is just harder than brawl in general. In comparison though yeah I think MK is harder to play and compete on a professional level with. Fox is harder because the game is harder lol.

Also, when MK miss-spaces something against me he dies :). Relying on his moveset isn't going to help you that much against top players. You have to understand a lot of match-ups and learn what people are going to punish you for etc etc it takes time and experience against good players.

OverLade

Smash Hero
That's true of almost any character. Melee is just harder than brawl in general. In comparison though yeah I think MK is harder to play and compete on a professional level with. Fox is harder because the game is harder lol.

Also, when MK miss-spaces something against me he dies :). Relying on his moveset isn't going to help you that much against top players. You have to understand a lot of match-ups and learn what people are going to punish you for etc etc it takes time and experience against good players.
I must disagree with the first part. Being successful with Snake from the get go for example is a lot harder than being successful with MK. Havok (who recently began going all snake) as well as me (who also recently began going all snake) can testify even though he's supposedly the 2nd best character.

For top players who already have fast reactions and good spacing doing all those things with MK isn't difficult at all. You can rely on his moveset easily as if you have good spacing you can make absolutely everything safe. If you have good spacing, you can beat some characters only by dair camping and using tornado effectively.

Anyway I'm not arguing anything besides the fact that MK is the best character, and also the easiest character to use, which proves my point in itself without citing any examples.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I just really disagree with MK being the easiest character to use.

Kirby?
:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom