• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Metaknight Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

etecoon

Smash Hero
lawl at pro ban....trying to make this look like science

why not waste your time b1tching about mk and actually spend the time learning the matchup...i mean it works...ask ally and adhd
it's okay this game is getting frustrating with all the bull**** gimping. I'm no longer a true Snake mainer, I'm seriously putting time into Diddy/MK now. **** this game.
yeah, everything will work if you just practice your inferior character to death, just ask the best snak-oh wait, he plays MK now.

edit: I actually mostly agree with you for good characters like snake or diddy, but you left yourself open to that : p

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
but realize that not all of us our scientist and don't think that there is only one specific path to proving points and making arguments.
It isn't, but keep in mind that when it comes to proving a point, especially in this matter, that hard, statistical backing is almost impossible to beat- unless the data was gathered incorrectly, which others would have to point out.

Statistics show that Meta Knight is dominating tournaments. In fact, in those three tournaments you posted, Meta Knight STILL took the most spots in those top positions.

Psst... ankoku updated his chart.

DETAILS
S Rank «Uber» 43.23%
1 :metaknight: Meta Knight (179 top8, 126 top4, 72 top2, 75 wins, 452 total) - 4020.7
2 :snake: Snake (131 top8, 71 top4, 39 top2, 48 wins, 289 total) - 2024.0

A Rank «Overused» 20.67%
3 :diddy: Diddy Kong (76 top8, 31 top4, 23 top2, 23 wins, 153 total) - 1325.6
4 :marth: Marth (42 top8, 37 top4, 15 top2, 14 wins, 108 total) - 877.9
5 :falco: Falco (59 top8, 38 top4, 15 top2, 8 wins, 120 total) - 686.0
And the gap widens.

@Candy/Boss: Yes, because everyone's been too busy sitting on their ***** and waiting for something magical to appear for the last two years to knock MK down.

yeah, everything will work if you just practice your inferior character to death, just ask the best snak-oh wait, he plays MK now.
I didn't know Team Attack was on.

lol.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'd suggest everyone on the anti-ban think to themself "What if Metaknight should be banned" and think about it. I do this pretty frequently and ask myself "What if MK shouldn't be banned?"and double-check myself. Have yet to have anything consistent happen though.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
u might as well put up with MK.....people are gonna see how good the character is so why not use him......

i will never sellout to a character like MK....i play for fun....and money....
You're obviously not playing for money if you're not using Meta Knight.
Consider the money you DO get as a reward for entering a tournament with no particularly strong Meta Knights.

So...fix'd.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
And it's people like Boss that push the bar for characters such as Mario and Luigi, the ones that aren't quite up to snuff on the national level.

Everyone's pushing their characters' metagame, trying hard. But in the end...when it comes to the really big picture here (Nationals),

Is it enough?

Sorto

Smash Journeyman
os or anyone... What percent of a tournies competitors do u feel actually play mk? Just curious?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
And it's people like Boss that push the bar for characters such as Mario and Luigi, the ones that aren't quite up to snuff on the national level.
Just to get a misconception out of the way.

Boss doesn't go Mario for tournaments anymore. There are other big-names out there that pushes the metagame for Mario more than Boss, such as Pierce, Famous, and Vato.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose

Everyone's pushing their characters' metagame, trying hard. But in the end...when it comes to the really big picture here (Nationals),

Is it enough?
Not even close to enough. Notice the lack of Mario and Luigi at nationals?
Mmhmm.

says the sonic main >_>
Sonic's a terrible character. I could do good, and maybe win some money, but:

1) If I do win money, it's because there were no Meta Knights at the tournament (or just not strong enough competition).
2) It's unreasonable to believe I can do any better than what I currently do with a character that has zero options against Meta Knight half of the time.

I'd be smart to switch to Meta Knight, but I don't because I'm a fool, and only play in tournaments for fun.
I only RARELY get money because I get lucky with the lack of MK in my tournaments.

Sorto

Smash Journeyman
Here's some actual math (this is of course skewed by counterpicks, but hey. It's actually more favourable to the player with worse odds when you consider counterpicks). This assumes that you have an equal chance to win each match.

if you have a 40% chance to win a given match, you have a 35.2% chance to win a BO3, and a 31.577% chance to win a BO5.

If you have a 30% chance to win a given match, you have a 21.6% chance to win a BO3, and a 16.308% chance to win a BO5

20% - 10.4% for BO3, 5.792% chance to win BO5

10% - 2.8% for BO3, 0.856% chance for BO5.
as i stated earlier, most of my math was based on the idea that a matchup ratio was for the set, not a particular match. if its for a particular match, how can one determine a fair stage to determine the ratio. if it is for the set, ratio makers can assume favorable cps. understand? There is no need to do any more complicated math. the matchup ratio says snake goes 45:55 with mk, but on what stage, even the neutrals have variation on that. i assumed it for the set. Regardless tho, either way, yours or mine, my intial point is valid about how big a small percent difference in a matchup is mathematically

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Just to get a misconception out of the way.

Boss doesn't go Mario for tournaments anymore. There are other big-names out there that pushes the metagame for Mario more than Boss, such as Pierce, Famous, and Vato.
I knew he dropped him for Luigi, but I thought he used Mario as a secondary? Or was I mistaken there. Either way, oh well.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I knew he dropped him for Luigi, but I thought he used Mario as a secondary? Or was I mistaken there. Either way, oh well.
He's just slowly making the transition by using "Play to win".

If he truly wants to start winning, he'll pick Meta Knight.

Sorto

Smash Journeyman
For the ones that go to tournies and place well consistently, 'bout 60-65%.
so correct me if i am wrong, but you are saying that tournaments standardly consist 65 percent of good mks, and 35 percent of various other characters?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Not even close to enough. Notice the lack of Mario and Luigi at nationals?
Mmhmm.

Sonic's a terrible character. I could do good, and maybe win some money, but:

1) If I do win money, it's because there were no Meta Knights at the tournament (or just not strong enough competition).
2) It's unreasonable to believe I can do any better than what I currently do with a character that has zero options against Meta Knight half of the time.

I'd be smart to switch to Meta Knight, but I don't because I'm a fool, and only play in tournaments for fun.

I only RARELY get money because I get lucky with the lack of MK in my tournaments.
Your not a fool at all, I play to win but I do it with characters I want to win with. So it's not really cut throat competitive, but honestly I don't care I don't think you should either.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Back on track, please.

Someone from anti-ban want to help Omni out? This is the third time now he's read one of my posts and said he just didn't feel like responding.

RDK

Smash Hero
Will you actually respond to my post if I respond to yours this time?

Sorto

Smash Journeyman
yo OVERSWARM do you feel that Metaknight is a BROKEN Character?

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
Then what is?

I mean, if MK isnt broken, how in the hell is he ban worthy?

Noone has come up with a viable answer to this question
Been over this a thousand times, but sure, why not.

The primary issues, at least in my mind, are a ridiculous over centralization on one character along with bannings and other rules implemented to limit MK, some of which effect other characters who do NOT need these limitations.

I don't know if I've seen -any- pro-banner complain about MK being 'unbeatable,' but people bring it up all the time. It's increasingly frustrating to be dismissed for an argument you never made time and time again.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
so correct me if i am wrong, but you are saying that tournaments standardly consist 65 percent of good mks, and 35 percent of various other characters?
Actually I think 40% of each tournament would normally have MK players. But in terms of placing well 65% are MK. IDK 'cause I'm not up to date w/ Ankoku's tourney rankings.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
os or anyone... What percent of a tournies competitors do u feel actually play mk? Just curious?
Not sure. The amount of overall players is generally only a drop in the bucket. There could be 10,000 MKs, but if they all went 0-2 it wouldn't matter. I've only concerned myself with the top 8 of large tournaments and the overall bottom line. data for both can be found in my post and on Ankoku's list.

yo OVERSWARM do you feel that Metaknight is a BROKEN Character?
Define broken.

Will you actually respond to my post if I respond to yours this time?
I'll do my best. I'm on smashboards a decent amount, but when I'm not, I'm not. I don't go back 10 pages to necromance an older post, so if I didn't see you quoting me specifically I may have missed it.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Meta Knight himself isn't broken enough, in my opinion (not factoring stages and whatnot for the following point). It's the planking/scrooging/timing out that COMPLIMENT his superiority that raises the issue as a character; and these are all things that can't exactly be monitored at all times everywhere, so nothing is stopping an MK player from doing this. The overgeneralization at higher caliber play wherein his frame advantages/strengths also play an important factor in the gay tactics that suceed, also leave something to be desired in a legitimate top tier character.

When you make rules specifically against Meta Knight, such as a ledge grab rule to combat planking (a Meta Knight won't even have to exceed the limit and still plank a good portion of the match because he's that good), no scrooging (yeah good luck with differntiating between stalling and avoiding edge guarders and being watched all the time), etc, just to give others a chance?

Those that put in these rules to keep Meta Knight in the game, are already doing what the Anti-Ban side is accusing us of wanting MK gone for. So that lower tier characters and other players can "have a chance"; it's already being done with all those rules being put in, and yet MK is STILL finding ways around it at the highest level.

If TO's are gonna go that far to give others a chance, it's only a pre-cursor to the banning of the character itself.

That's how I feel at this point.

Long story short, if Meta Knight did not have every single one of those advantages and didn't have access to the methods that break the ideal of a Smash Bros. match, I would have been Anti-Ban long ago.

Hell, I don't even think there would be discussions about Meta Knight being banned to begin with. And if there were, they wouldn't last long. There's a reason why this has gone on forever.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Top MKs: M2K, Tyrant, Dojo, Shadow, Ksizzle, Anti, DSF, Judge, Seibrik

From October 1st to January 31st:

Anti
- 3rd out of 39 at Gauntlet 10-03-09, lost to Ally (Snake) and ADHD (Diddy)
- 3rd out of 53 at DAPHNE I, lost to Ally (Snake) and ADHD (Diddy)
- 4th out of 100 at Viridian City 6, lost to Mew2King (MK) and Meep (IC)
- 1st out of 34 at Bum Presents: The Gamers, 0 sets lost
- 3rd out of 74 at PolyBrawl 11.28, can't find any brackets - outplaced by Ally (Snake) and ADHD (Diddy)

Dojo
- 1st out of 71 at HOBO 19, can't find any brackets
- 1st out of 71 at Phase 2, 0 sets lost
- 1st out of 39 at Phase 3, can't find any brackets
- 4th out of 50 at HOBO 21, lost to Hylian (IC/G&W) and Razer (Snake)
- 2nd out of 46 at Final Smash 8, lost to Razer (Snake) twice

DSF
- 1st out of 43 at CGC XII, 0 sets lost
- 1st out of 49 at CGC @ SFSU 13, 0 sets lost
- 3rd out of 120 at R3, lost to DEHF (Falco) and Tyrant (MK)
- 1st out of 109 (split with DSF) at UCSD Winter Game Fest V, can't find any brackets
- 3rd out of 70 at SCSA West Coast Circuit #5, lost to DEHF (Falco) and Tyrant (MK)

Judge
- 2nd out of 61 at Brawl Bootcamp Lvl. 2, lost to Mew2King (MK) twice
- 2nd out of 31 at LoLiS 4, lost to Mew2King (MK) twice
- 2nd out of 30 at Kuntasm, lost to Mew2King (MK) twice
- 1st out of 42 at LoLiS 5, lost to Anther (Pikachu) once
- 5th out of 190 at Pound 4, lost to Shadow (MK) and Ksizzle (Lucario)

Ksizzle
- 7th out of 100 at Viridian City 6, lost to Ally (Snake) and Atomsk (???)
- 2nd out of 60 at Crank That Kosha Boy!, lost to Ally (Snake) twice
- 2nd out of 24 at Daisho's Tournament 11/21/09, can't find any brackets - lost to Cable (DK)
- 4th out of 190 at Pound 4, lost to ADHD (Diddy) and Ally (Snake)

Mew2King
- 1st out of 36 at LoLiS 2, 0 sets lost
- 1st out of 61 at Brawl Bootcamp Lvl2, 0 sets lost
- 2nd out of 100 at Viridian City 6, lost to Ally (Snake) twice
- 1st out of 39 at lain's Lollapalooza, 0 sets lost
- 1st out of 31 at LoLiS4, 0 sets lost
- 1st out of 30 at Kuntasm, 0 sets lost
- 1st out of 89 at Winterfest, 0 sets lost
- 2nd out of 45 at Wiegraf Too Good, lost to ADHD (Diddy) twice
- 1st out of 29 at Wait, AGAIN?!, 0 sets lost
- 2nd out of 190 at Pound 4, lost to ADHD (Diddy) twice
- 1st out of 30 at Delta Upsilon II, 0 sets lost

Seibrik
- 2nd out of 41 at Gigabits - A Fall Brawl, can't find any brackets - lost to RedHalberd (MK)
- 2nd out of 24 at WATO 8.5, can't find any brackets - lost to RedHalberd (MK/Snake)
- 2nd out of 89 at Winterfest 2009, can't find any brackets - lost to Mew2King (MK)
- 1st out of 28 (split with CO18) at WATO 9, can't find any brackets
- 2nd out of 39 at FIU Brawl Tourney 1/23, lost to Nick Riddle (ZSS) twice

Shadow
- 4th out of 60 at Crank That Kosha Boy!, lost to Meep (IC) and ADHD (Diddy)
- 2nd out of 45 at KTAR, lost 2x to Ally (Snake)
- 2nd out of 25 at Powerplay Gaming Tournament, lost to Atomsk (???) and Ally (Snake)
- 5th out of 190 at Pound 4, lost to Mew2King (MK) and Ally (Snake)

Tyrant
- 3rd out of 43 at CGC XII, lost to DSF (MK) and michealHAZE (Marth)
- 5th out of 100 at Viridian City 6, lost to Ally (Snake) and Meep (IC)
- 2nd out of 120 at R3, lost 2x to DEHF (Falco)
- 1st out of 18 at The BR Act: Program 1, 0 sets lost
- 1st out of 109 (split with DSF) at UCSD Winter Game Fest V, can't find any brackets
- 2nd out of 70 at SCSA West Coast Circuit #5, lost to DEHF (Falco) twice

If you have any info on set losses let me know.
Updated with DSF and Seibrik. Florida is ****ing terrible at this results thing. Also I'm not really sure Seibrik is on the level of the other MKs I posted.

Still need to update other players with some recent results.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Clicking the quote link in my previous post will now show you the completely updated results.

Non-MK players that beat them in more than one instance:
ADHD (Diddy)
Ally (Snake)
Atomsk (???)
DEHF (Falco)
Meep (IC)
Razer (Snake)

Number of top MK players I listed - 9
Number of players that beat them on more than one instance - 6

It does look pretty bad for the anti-ban side.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
It might be prudent to collect data for the players that beat them more than once. You may see something interesting.

Flayl

Smash Hero
It might be prudent to collect data for the players that beat them more than once. You may see something interesting.
I'm not going to be putting any more time into this, the results seem conclusive. MK is too good.

I'm glad I waited until this data was collected before I changed my mind though.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Ankoku's thread and finding brackets for each tournament (most are in the link that's given to Ankoku).

I didn't even look for players beating them consistently, if more players had beat them in more than one tournament I wouldn't have changed my mind yet, haha.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
So we've got a grand total of one character that is used by more than one player to beat MKs in more than one instance, and that's Snake with Ally and Razer. Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom