• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Metaknight Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
it's his staying there, and not coming off of it that is.
So you know I gotta hit you with the classic question:

How long is too long for MK to be staying there?

Step 1: MK planks.
Step 2: Opponent moves away.
Step 3: MK waits a li'l before he's like, "F**k, I gotta get back on stage.
Step 4: Opponent attacks.
Step 5: MK planks.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I've read his thread. Doesn't change the facts. it isn't like you have to guess when those six frame are coming. once he grabs the edge his invisibility has a set limit and I know it like the back of my hand. All you have to do is wait until time is up and do your thing.

Honestly luck doesn't effect stuff like this. luck is trying to power shield uair and react.

even sonics spring gets around planking and he is horrible...

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oh and did you know a well timed down B makes him another 8 frames of invincibility? if you do steal the ledge than he down b's on stage and runs to the other side.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Tethers will get ***** by MKs aerials.
even if well timed.
just wanna put this out there to stop that propaganda before it spreads.

you also don't have enough time with a 6 frame window to drop off the ledge and up b or anything else of the sort.
if you drop down before that congrats. you just earned a uair to your face.
1. there is 26 frames? something in the 20s where MK can't do anything after he grabs the edge. nothing.
2. after he lets go he can't regrab the edge for over 30. that over 30 time period is plenty of time for you to grab the edge ON REACTION to him letting go. with a tether from outside of his attack range. remember MK has horrible aerial movement.
3. once you do get to the edge you now have invulnerability! yeah Mk isn't the only character who gets it. with it you have more priority than MK!
4.even if he does grab the edge once you let go to reclaim invul he is stuck there for another 20odd frames again giving you time to wait him out again out side of his range or to jump on stage safely.

there are what I like to call "instant tethers"
characters who instantly rise to the edge after hitting up or B or a or whatever once their tether hits the ledge.
They include sheik, Ivy, ZSS and Olimar. you'd have to hit them while the tether is traveling which is very difficult when they aren't right next to you. Olimar has a hit box between himself and the edge when he uses his tether.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Oh and did you know a well timed down B makes him another 8 frames of invincibility? if you do steal the ledge than he down b's on stage and runs to the other side.
I keep forgetting MK's down B has no start up or ending lag. thanks for reminding me about that.
*E sarcasm.* :)

My point is planking is far from unbeatable just like Mk isn't unbeatable. Stop making excuses and just learn the fight...

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
4.even if he does grab the edge once you let go to reclaim invul he is stuck there for another 20odd frames again giving you time to jump on stage or try to wait him out again out side of his range.
what is this accomplishing then? all you're doing is stalling out the number of LGs he has and not hitting him/punishing his planking at all. this is just a slight annoyance if anything.

I keep forgetting MK's down B has no start up or ending lag. thanks for reminding me about that.
*E sarcasm.*
start up would be covered by LG invincibility. end lag, while i'm not certain i very much doubt is more than anything most characters can do on the ledge. the best you could hope for is MK landing close enough to the ledge from down b for you to fall off of the ledge and aerial him. and that's just luck...

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
this <3 guy should be winning tourneys. he seems to have all the answers.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
what is this accomplishing then? all you're doing is stalling out the number of LGs he has and not hitting him/punishing his planking at all. this is just a slight annoyance if anything.
yep in no human error land. chances are he isn't going to be in position to instantly snap to the ledge once you let go, and with invulnerability you can take advantage of what ever position he is in. In the worst possible situation you find yourself back at neutral or with another chance to try and take advantage of your new found invulnerability.

You are now in control because of MKs poor air speed, your invincibility, and MKs invincibility to produce invincibility on command when aerial, as well as your ability to stay on the ledge as long as you like for the most part.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
oh lol fine i'll play your game.

if you tether RIGHT when he let's go. you now have 30 frames to get back on stage (unless you wanna have a go at fighting MK off stage...) now you're on stage in the exact same position you were in when he started planking. again, congrats on that uair to your face.

if you try and fight him off stage.
both your invincibility frames (both perfectly timed) are about even, with you having 1-2 frames more.
assuming you both aerial as soon as your invincibility frames end, mk uairs and wins.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
oh lol fine i'll play your game.

if you tether RIGHT when he let's go. you now have 30 frames to get back on stage (unless you wanna have a go at fighting MK off stage...) now you're on stage in the exact same position you were in when he started planking. again, congrats on that uair to your face.

if you try and fight him off stage.
both your invincibility frames (both perfectly timed) are about even, with you having 1-2 frames more.
assuming you both aerial as soon as your invincibility frames end, mk uairs and wins.
I'm not trying to be an a**hole. I just believe what I'm saying. And I hate it when people win an argument with me by not arguing or discrediting my knowledge skill or whatever.
I've read DMG's thread multiple times and other similar threads like D.Pch's on how peach can beat MK's planking game. it is absurdly difficult to beat MK from on stage when he is planking and that's most of what DMG covers so all of what he is saying is very sound. I agree with a lot of it.

No, you'd have about twenty more. There's just over 40 frames of invulnerability total starting once you grab the edge. so even in perfect world. MK lets go but you knew he would that instant and arrived there just in time to take the edge from him. he has used up half of his time. you have all of yours. by the time you can let go of the edge MK's invulnerability is up and you still have your twenty left.

Yes MK could be there to snap to the edge or he could be on his way to the other edge. but if for some reason he is off stage in the air with you you have the advantage in the fight.

When you have all the answers, how do you get beat by... well, anything?
I'm not perfect but for stuff like this you don't have to be. I have answers to a lot of questions, lol, but not everything. When I do play I do well in tourney. there are few people who play me who wouldn't use the word "good" to describe me and that includes the FL PRs some of the strongest players in the countery if I don't mind saying so myself. :)

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
oh i thought we were talking about tetherers? they only have 21 frames of invincibility.

salaboB

Smash Champion
You guys are forgetting one key point...

MK doesn't have a bad enough MU against anyone with a tether that he'll need to bother planking them, he can just smash their faces in.

Thank you, you may now resume your previous conversation (If you can't understand why it's not relevant.)

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
@spelt

oh... tethers invul start as soon as you grab but you don't have to do that immediately to control the ledge. you can realistically wait until just before MK can invul is up again until pull in if he isn't threatening you. or wait until he is about to grab to actually tether.

If he doesn't let go by the time his invul is up you can force him off with an aerial or something.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
errr or he can hit you while you're hanging there doing nothing with no invincibility...
when you do grab the ledge, all he has to do is use his multiple jumps and spam uair until you get off and then you've just come full circle.

still don't see how you're punishing him or hindering him in anyway...
and honestly nothing you've brought up hasn't been mentioned in DMG's thread. :/

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
You guys are forgetting one key point...

MK doesn't have a bad enough MU against anyone with a tether that he'll need to bother planking them, he can just smash their faces in.

Thank you, you may now resume your previous conversation (If you can't understand why it's not relevant.)
Gimping isn't as easy as people make it out to be even tethers. most have very good aerials or projectiles to force you off stage or in cases like sheik and ZSS etc. alternate recovery specials.

between good DI and saving jumps recovery isn't as bad for most characters even against. MK can't really hit people down either unless he is above them and since he can't hit people at low trajectories on stage...

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
errr or he can hit you while you're hanging there doing nothing with no invincibility...
when you do grab the ledge, all he has to do is use his multiple jumps and spam uair until you get off and then you've just come full circle.

still don't see how you're punishing him or hindering him in anyway...
and honestly nothing you've brought up hasn't been mentioned in DMG's thread. :/
I'll try and make a video about it in the near future...

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I get what you're saying... :/
it just doesn't work.

if someone without a tether grabs the ledge, MK down b's to safety.

if someone with a tether tether's and hangs there, MK aerial's them off. if you grab the ledge they wait until you get back on stage and then continue grabbing the ledge.
you grab the ledge on the first frame he drops, and then drop down 1 frame later.
he has 20 frames of invincibility and you have 21. when you both run out of invincibility he uairs you and possibly gimps while safely regrabbing the ledge.
there IS no way around it, he wins anyway you stack the cards.

i'm bored of repeating myself though, so i'm done.

NNID
Budget_Player
For the record, I liked the list of stages that could be added to make it harder for MK to scrooge/plank. However, w/ stage striking, you wouldn't be able to get him onto one of those neutrals, so it wouldn't be too useful.
Just use my rule, or a watered-down version of it! On the first round and every counterpick, a non-MK can choose ANY stage against an MK. On MK's counterpick, it's reduced to neutrals minus Smashville.

K.

MK unfortunately isn't permanently invincible once he touches a ledge, then I'd be wrong.

he has X amount of invul frames when he grabs the edge. like most characters in the game. in order to refresh that invulnerability he needs to regrab the ledge.

BUT WAIT! there is a timer that forces you to wait a set amount of time before you can regrab! even with optimal timing you won't be invincible the full time. For any good character, apparently by my definition sheik is one of them. That is more than enough time to take advantage of this would be planker. others include characters with invicible/super armor or very disjointed upBs and tether grabs who can literally force MK off the stage after his invulnerability is up but don't fear getting hit (or at least knocked back)
So characters like Charizard, like peach, marth, DK, ivy, ZSS sheik. you can litterally jump off stage and wait and MK can do nothing especially if you take advantage of the almost half second where he can't do anything after he grabbed the ledge to capitalized your distance between him.

Next you have speacial projectiles. links' bombs, peach's tunips, Zamus's armor wario's bike peices, banana's, din's fire, etc. where with half decent timing you can time for his invunerability to run out drop the item or explode it or what ever, at the very least with all of these character you force MK back on stage with a roll or a stand up or attack up.

Obviously it isn't a simple as I spelled it out but planking is no where near impossible to beat. If I could wrap my head around a way for Shiek to get through it in two seconds I know other characters have ways though it too.
1. there is 26 frames? something in the 20s where MK can't do anything after he grabs the edge. nothing.
2. after he lets go he can't regrab the edge for over 30. that over 30 time period is plenty of time for you to grab the edge ON REACTION to him letting go. with a tether from outside of his attack range. remember MK has horrible aerial movement.
3. once you do get to the edge you now have invulnerability! yeah Mk isn't the only character who gets it. with it you have more priority than MK!
4.even if he does grab the edge once you let go to reclaim invul he is stuck there for another 20odd frames again giving you time to wait him out again out side of his range or to jump on stage safely.

there are what I like to call "instant tethers"
characters who instantly rise to the edge after hitting up or B or a or whatever once their tether hits the ledge.
They include sheik, Ivy, ZSS and Olimar. you'd have to hit them while the tether is traveling which is very difficult when they aren't right next to you. Olimar has a hit box between himself and the edge when he uses his tether.
Just read the thread... It's not really possible. Also, speaking of "no human error land", imagine you **** up your tether snap as ZSS/Ivy/Oli. What then? You ****ing die. The risk for you is the loss of the stock, the risk for MK is that he has to abandon the ledge and get away.

One things for sure. I don't get beat by planking MKs.
Because there's a ledge grab limit?

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
The big deal is that you are forcing a player to make a move that he doesn't and shouldn't normally have to make. If a player is pressuring a non-MK/Pit/*insert good planker here* player on the ledge that has the lead (for clarity, the player on the ledge has the lead) , but he can't get anything good out of pressuring the opponent for whatever reason if 2 minutes are left, why are we giving that player the option of moving away from the ledge and forcing the player with the lead to come on stage? That's what I don't get.
Why are we leaving the MK with the option of doing broken techniques and not giving the hopeless opponent any way of taking care of it? What makes it OK for MK to have 0-6 frames of vulnerability on the ledge (depending on uair planking or downB pnaking), and every opponent being unable to do anything about it? Why is it wrong to take away scrooging, for everything other than recovery purposes? I'm giving a suggestion to a situation we all dislike because of how hopeless we are in it, and how all of our options are compromised when the opponent decides on doing so.

It's a good defensive strategy, yes... But if you're conscious that it breaks the game, that you have a character that inherently has many options then do it anyway, we should give the victim at least ONE option to answer to it with. Pit's planking isn't as bad as MK's because we can punish him for it, so people would most probably just do what they still do to Pit, and SDI the uair and punish/wait for Pit to jump off from the ledge then grab the ledge/whatever. Nothing changes... Except the fact that MK's planking+scrooging (and Pit's scrooging) have an answer to it now.

Isn't banning ALL planking a surgical change?
Regardless, you do neither. If you have a technique available to all characters and that can be used minimally by all characters and better by some characters, but it broken with one character, you should probably ban that character.
Banning planking isn't a surgical change because we're not imposing a limit on some inherent trait a character possesses. We're giving the entire game one extra option: the ability to give the opponent space for him to recover, and the opponent successfully recovering onto the stage. The opponent shouldn't be allowed to grab the ledge after this until someone's hit once again (possibly just the planker), which should counter all of that "avoiding any and all contact" as well as the "position that requires the opponent to take a great deal of damage and/or lose a stock in the process to get you out of there" thing.

You say that scrooging is broken regardless of who's using it. Let's assume I agree with you.
So you're all for banning Pit's planking even it isn't broken?
My suggestion doesn't ban planking, it gives the victim one extra option to deal with planking... We can all agree that we can't ban planking due to how it can be confused with an opponent recovering, so the player can give the opponent the space he would require to recover, and the opponent will be forced to recover ON-STAGE (meaning no scrooging to bypass this rule by following the opponent to the other side of the stage). If you give them the space required, it's very safe for the opponent to leave the ledge, touch the ground and continue the match. When Pit/G&W/whatever planks, they're doing the same thing MK does but to a lesser extent... Taking a broken tactic and manipulating it to suit their needs.

It doesn't matter what character performs the broken tactic, if it's broken then it should be removed.

No, because you removed everything that makes him broken. Could I compare it to removing the laser from a gun that has a laser to help aim? Yes, I can still use the gun, but the laser helped me aim at my targets better. The gun is better with the laser than it is without the laser. (possibly subjective use of the word "better" with the attempt at the gun analogy, i know)
...... Then if you say that removing planking+scrooging would remove everything that's broken from MK, what's the problem?

Honor... what is honor? I thought we were playing to win.
Man, you're nitpicking my choice of words. What good does it do for your arguments? Fine... Let's change it from "honored" to "grateful". Happy now? -_-

If the ledge is a defensive position, is ledge pressure not offensive?
If the opponent runs to the other side of the stage and is putting himself in a disadvantageous position, while your position on the ledge is very advantageous, why do I have to come up off the ledge again?
What's wrong with it is that you are forcing players to make moves that they shouldn't have to make. You're removing options from every character in the game, mainly because of one character.
The ledge is a defensive position, and ledge-pressuring will still exist. When you're fighting an opponent and they're on the ledge, and you know that jumping off to get them out will kill you, what other options do you have? Well, you can try all of those other options, and if none of them work and your only option is to die trying (or take lots of damage), then now you have another option: to give them the space required to recover safely.

I'm not removing options from anyone, but adding one option that works against the pseudo-stalling tactics. Can you give me 3 realistic situations of different characters (excluding MK, Pit, G&W and Marth) that proves my suggestion removes options from every character in the game?

what are his other powerful advantages in tourney-use?
what makes those other powerful advantages ok to use?
He has the most versatile recovery in the game, arguably the best in the game. He has the best offensive:defensive ratio, making him a very unbalanced, overpowered character. His attacks have lots of reach, and good damage output, as well as comboability. A spammable semi-spike (dair) and multiple jumps to force gimps, as well as a powerful set-knockback semi-spike (aerial upB) which puts him in gliding animation, perfect for recovering afterwards. He has the best and safest frametrapping move in the game (tornado). One of the best OoS options (grounded upB) where he has invincibility on start-up and can kill off the top AS SOON AS his shield is touched, assuring 100% connection between the attack and the opponent.

These are all powerful advantages over the vast majority of the other characters. Do you disagree? Care to add anything?

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Why are we leaving the MK with the option of doing broken techniques and not giving the hopeless opponent any way of taking care of it? What makes it OK for MK to have 0-6 frames of vulnerability on the ledge (depending on uair planking or downB pnaking), and every opponent being unable to do anything about it? Why is it wrong to take away scrooging, for everything other than recovery purposes? I'm giving a suggestion to a situation we all dislike because of how hopeless we are in it, and how all of our options are compromised when the opponent decides on doing so.
We are leaving MK with the option of broken techniques because these techniques are still a part of the game.

But let's say your suggestion works...
You might give MK the space, and then he gets on the stage. What dictates how much time MK has before he can decide to get back on the stage? Do you penalize the MK for not getting back on the stage IMMEDIATELY after the opponent moves away? Does he wait for his opponent to stand still? Does he wait a while to make sure his opponent is in a neutral position? How long does he wait?

And here's my favorite part, what keeps MK from going back to the ledge, which isn't stalling, but is rather running away to reach a better position? He can dodge an attack or two, then boom, back to the ledge. Now the opponent has to move away from the ledge again before MK can get up... refer to the questions about getting up on the ledge above...

lather, rinse, repeat.

It's a good defensive strategy, yes... But if you're conscious that it breaks the game, that you have a character that inherently has many options then do it anyway, we should give the victim at least ONE option to answer to it with. Pit's planking isn't as bad as MK's because we can punish him for it, so people would most probably just do what they still do to Pit, and SDI the uair and punish/wait for Pit to jump off from the ledge then grab the ledge/whatever. Nothing changes... Except the fact that MK's planking+scrooging (and Pit's scrooging) have an answer to it now.
or do they? (see above)

Banning planking isn't a surgical change because we're not imposing a limit on some inherent trait a character possesses. We're giving the entire game one extra option: the ability to give the opponent space for him to recover, and the opponent successfully recovering onto the stage. The opponent shouldn't be allowed to grab the ledge after this until someone's hit once again (possibly just the planker), which should counter all of that "avoiding any and all contact" as well as the "position that requires the opponent to take a great deal of damage and/or lose a stock in the process to get you out of there" thing.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=262943&highlight=surgical

My suggestion doesn't ban planking, it gives the victim one extra option to deal with planking... We can all agree that we can't ban planking due to how it can be confused with an opponent recovering, so the player can give the opponent the space he would require to recover, and the opponent will be forced to recover ON-STAGE (meaning no scrooging to bypass this rule by following the opponent to the other side of the stage). If you give them the space required, it's very safe for the opponent to leave the ledge, touch the ground and continue the match. When Pit/G&W/whatever planks, they're doing the same thing MK does but to a lesser extent... Taking a broken tactic and manipulating it to suit their needs.

It doesn't matter what character performs the broken tactic, if it's broken then it should be removed.
If only one character is using the tactic in a broken manner, how is it broken again?

...... Then if you say that removing planking+scrooging would remove everything that's broken from MK, what's the problem?
If I removed the air fireball from ST Akuma and removed the option to lock your opponent in the frame perfect red fireball lock from ST Akuma, he's perfectly beatable. But he's banned though.

Man, you're nitpicking my choice of words. What good does it do for your arguments? Fine... Let's change it from "honored" to "grateful". Happy now? -_-
Nope. Of course you'd be grateful for the opponent to leave you room, I'd be too. Allows me a moment to not do anything... oh wait, I have to come up off the ledge? Just like it's a decision for the opponent to move back, I don't see why it shouldn't be a decision for me to get back on the stage, especially when the ledge is just as much a part of the game as the stage.

The ledge is a defensive position, and ledge-pressuring will still exist. When you're fighting an opponent and they're on the ledge, and you know that jumping off to get them out will kill you, what other options do you have? Well, you can try all of those other options, and if none of them work and your only option is to die trying (or take lots of damage), then now you have another option: to give them the space required to recover safely.
Is that fair to the opponent who's doing the ledge game better than the opponent can deal with it?

I'm not removing options from anyone, but adding one option that works against the pseudo-stalling tactics. Can you give me 3 realistic situations of different characters (excluding MK, Pit, G&W and Marth) that proves my suggestion removes options from every character in the game?
Character doesn't want to come off the ledge because the opponent can't deal with it. Opponent could be failing against ROB's lasers and (to a lesser extent) gyros, Mario's reupBing, Ike's reupBing... anything simple. If an opponent decides, "Dam, I can't deal with this," he just move back, and now the opponent is obligated to get back on the stage, as opposed to forcing the opponent to figure out how to deal with it.

If you admit to Pit, G&W, and Marth's planking to not be broken like MK's planking is, and the opponent can't deal with it, why should he be given the option to move away and the opponent be obligated to come back on the stage? Why not have the opponent figure out how to deal with it?

He has the most versatile recovery in the game, arguably the best in the game. He has the best offensive:defensive ratio, making him a very unbalanced, overpowered character. His attacks have lots of reach, and good damage output, as well as comboability. A spammable semi-spike (dair) and multiple jumps to force gimps, as well as a powerful set-knockback semi-spike (aerial upB) which puts him in gliding animation, perfect for recovering afterwards. He has the best and safest frametrapping move in the game (tornado). One of the best OoS options (grounded upB) where he has invincibility on start-up and can kill off the top AS SOON AS his shield is touched, assuring 100% connection between the attack and the opponent.

These are all powerful advantages over the vast majority of the other characters. Do you disagree? Care to add anything?
uair ***** airdodges.
dtilt is amazing.
etc. etc.

oh yeah, and planking. :p

Judo777

Smash Master
Kewky you have an interesting idea but its still a losing battle for one reason.

Say u have a falco playing an MK. falco knocks mk off the stage but Mk has a percent lead so mk decides hey "im gonna plank."

Falco player backs up and says "im giving u space get on the stage"

Mk player says "ok" and get on the stage.

Falco continues shooting lasers as falcos do and one laser hits the MK player for 2 percent.

Mk cant "deal with the lasers" so he goes back to the ledge and planks only 2 percent lower than he was initially. If the Mk has a stock lead falco cant win this way.

The other problem is that because Mk can technically go back to the ledge after getting hit it almost forces the other player to go for big damage on the next hit in order to make this oppertunity worth while meaning that they are less likely to attack safer. I just cant see this dea working.

I didnt find the original post of ur idea but i think i got the gist if i am way off ignore this.

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Assuming that a tether manages to grab the edge before MK, he can still just glide to the other side.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
We are leaving MK with the option of broken techniques because these techniques are still a part of the game.
Just like how Peach Bomber and Rising Pound stalling were part of the game and programmed to do those exact effects? Why did those get banned?

But let's say your suggestion works...
You might give MK the space, and then he gets on the stage. What dictates how much time MK has before he can decide to get back on the stage? Do you penalize the MK for not getting back on the stage IMMEDIATELY after the opponent moves away? Does he wait for his opponent to stand still? Does he wait a while to make sure his opponent is in a neutral position? How long does he wait?
As soon as the MK (or character) is able to make it to the ledge, there really is no reason for him to wait on the ledge any longer. Once the opponent gives the space and you realize that he's half a stage away at least, you're obligated to leave the ledge. You can bend it and regrab like 2 more times or something (doesn't matter the number), but does it affect the game as much as no limitations to planking?

And here's my favorite part, what keeps MK from going back to the ledge, which isn't stalling, but is rather running away to reach a better position? He can dodge an attack or two, then boom, back to the ledge. Now the opponent has to move away from the ledge again before MK can get up... refer to the questions about getting up on the ledge above...

lather, rinse, repeat.
MK (or the character) is still achieving a position where the opponent can reach him, and not deliberately (and excessively) avoiding any and all contact between both players. Dodging attacks means that he's in danger of being hit, and that's exactly what I want happening... Plankers+scroogers being vulnerable.

Some surgical changes are better than global changes. Chaingrabs were limited until 300%because they could be executed indefinitely, thus stalling the game. Is it a global change or a surgical change? A global change would've been to ban all the characters capable of chaingrabs, but which is a smarter approach to the situation? I believe there's a best choice for everything, and although global changes are great, it isn't always the best choice... More like a "last resort" unless it as a first resort IS the best answer (which may not be the case here).

If only one character is using the tactic in a broken manner, how is it broken again?
I dunno, ask IDC.

In all seriousness, the tactic proves to be THE most effective tactic by a decent margin, and also has a negative effect on gameplay everywhere. Usually, we'd have to wait to see if this is true, but in tourneys with no LGLs we've seen it to be true already.

If I removed the air fireball from ST Akuma and removed the option to lock your opponent in the frame perfect red fireball lock from ST Akuma, he's perfectly beatable. But he's banned though.
See, I'd be against removing the air fireball... Is it the Akuma player's fault if he mashes in the air and accidentally activates an air fireball? He was conscious of the rule and was never gonna do it, but whoops! An accident and he did it! What happens now?

See, moves and tactics are different in the sense that tactics are much more complicated to execute. Banning IDC was easy because it requires the opponent to mash up on the c-stick right after doing a downB, it literally makes no sense why a person would want to mash up on the cstick besides IDCing. An air fireball is done by a quick flick of the fingers and a button press, planking isn't.

Nope. Of course you'd be grateful for the opponent to leave you room, I'd be too. Allows me a moment to not do anything... oh wait, I have to come up off the ledge? Just like it's a decision for the opponent to move back, I don't see why it shouldn't be a decision for me to get back on the stage, especially when the ledge is just as much a part of the game as the stage.
Why aren't walkoffs allowed, even though they're part of the game? Me as a DDD player can chaingrab to the other side and then DECIDE to let you go without killing you... But come on, do you honestly expect me to do so when money's on the line? I'll chaingrab you all 3 times off the edges if I have to in order to make dat ther money. What makes you think MKs won't plank if they grab the ledge with an advantage? Honor? Sad thing is, that's exactly why MKs don't plank as much as they should: Honor.

Is that fair to the opponent who's doing the ledge game better than the opponent can deal with it?
If MK is planking too good for me to deal with it (as DMG's thread shows), is it my fault that I can't beat a broken strategy? If Pit is constantly scrooging and faking scrooging in order for me to run to the other edge from time to time, is it my fault that I can't catch up to him or beat the strategy?

Character doesn't want to come off the ledge because the opponent can't deal with it. Opponent could be failing against ROB's lasers and (to a lesser extent) gyros, Mario's reupBing, Ike's reupBing... anything simple. If an opponent decides, "Dam, I can't deal with this," he just move back, and now the opponent is obligated to get back on the stage, as opposed to forcing the opponent to figure out how to deal with it.
Even though I abhor hearing examples of horrid players who can't punish easy-to-punish things (like Ike's ledge game or Mario's upB regrabs), I have to admit that they're realistic situations... Well, let's see if I can think of some other suggestion that doesn't affect gameplay, besides planking+scrooging then.

If you admit to Pit, G&W, and Marth's planking to not be broken like MK's planking is, and the opponent can't deal with it, why should he be given the option to move away and the opponent be obligated to come back on the stage? Why not have the opponent figure out how to deal with it?
Pit can scrooge, so he can be pretty broke if done right... Scrooging is a pretty broken tactic, after all. G&W has his uair planking which is slightly worse than MKs due to it not letting the opponents grab the ledge, and if they do G&W can upB them out of the ledges/upB onto the stage. Marth's planking can be handled a LOT easier than the other examples, but people usually just give Marth the space to recover since a tippered ledgedropped uair hurts more than an MK ledgedropped uair.

In all of the scenarios, people usually have no choice but to retreat to a safe position and allow the opponents to complete a recovery or get back onto the stage normally. What my suggestion would do is MAKE the opponents recover instead of exploit the broken defense that ledge-play allows them to achieve (such as planking+scrooging).

Kewky you have an interesting idea but its still a losing battle for one reason.

Say u have a falco playing an MK. falco knocks mk off the stage but Mk has a percent lead so mk decides hey "im gonna plank."

Falco player backs up and says "im giving u space get on the stage"

Mk player says "ok" and get on the stage.

Falco continues shooting lasers as falcos do and one laser hits the MK player for 2 percent.

Mk cant "deal with the lasers" so he goes back to the ledge and planks only 2 percent lower than he was initially. If the Mk has a stock lead falco cant win this way.

The other problem is that because Mk can technically go back to the ledge after getting hit it almost forces the other player to go for big damage on the next hit in order to make this oppertunity worth while meaning that they are less likely to attack safer. I just cant see this dea working.

I didnt find the original post of ur idea but i think i got the gist if i am way off ignore this.
Nah, you got the gist of it right.

Falco would be camping from the other side of the stage, meaning that MK would be forced onto the stage as soon as he grabbed the ledge. The distance limiter has been met before MK even grabbed the ledge, so he should be forced back on-stage and learn how to powershield lasers if he wants to win by shield-camping (which is pretty much how you should beat disadvantaged falcos, forcing them to approach by avoiding their lasers).

I'll see if I can think of something else... Just keep giving me feedback everytime I think of something, to see if it would fail or not, just like MarKO did.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Falco would be camping from the other side of the stage, meaning that MK would be forced onto the stage as soon as he grabbed the ledge. The distance limiter has been met before MK even grabbed the ledge, so he should be forced back on-stage and learn how to powershield lasers if he wants to win by shield-camping (which is pretty much how you should beat disadvantaged falcos, forcing them to approach by avoiding their lasers).
So, what if it's a non-MK with the % lead who gets knocked off the edge and Falco sets up camp?

You've just taken away the ability to sit on the edge and force Falco to come closer to get you off of it from the entire cast if you make people get up into that.

This can apply to any situation where you don't want to get up onto the stage to face the other guy and they can't easily come punish you for it -- it's not just hurting four characters, it will impact anyone who might want to do this for any reason (Even if the reason is poor).

One last example: Maybe you know your opponent falls easily for mixups when you're coming off the edge, and you want them to have to come deal with one. With the forced recovery rule, that option is removed. Who is planking an unbeatable tactic with besides MK, or do you want to strip this option from every character just to deal with him?

To put it another way: Who can plank better than Snake can grenade camp? If the answer is only MK but you're willing to remove planking (and scrooging, in this case) from everyone in the name of keeping the game more aggressive, how do you justify not dealing with Snake's camping? Can we put in a rule where if the opponent stays at the far edge of the stage you have to move closer to them on the count of 3? That way it's a "fair" approach that will keep the game moving rather than being too defensive, and it's just the on-level equivalent of the rule you're proposing.

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
How would gliding between ledges be dealt with?

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
This argument is soooooo bad.

BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD.
Now multiply those bads by the number of skin cells on your body.
Now we're getting somewhat close to how bad this argument is.

Items are apart of the game, banned stages are apart of the game, IDC is apart of the game.
...See where i'm going with this?
No? Okay.

Akuma was apart of the game. Master hand is apart of the game.

Now continue to bring up bad arguments...

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
My favorite part is how the MK mains always get so furious and say, "WHAT ABOUT ALL THE WORK WE PUT INTO LEARNING MK?"

Like, please, won't someone think of the metaknight mains? Won't someone protect them and they're hilariously disproportionate cash prizes?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
So, what if it's a non-MK with the % lead who gets knocked off the edge and Falco sets up camp?
(Power)shield fromt he other side of the stage, force that Falco to approach. :dizzy:

This can apply to any situation where you don't want to get up onto the stage to face the other guy and they can't easily come punish you for it -- it's not just hurting four characters, it will impact anyone who might want to do this for any reason (Even if the reason is poor).
Yes... Because shielding is very hard to do, as is jumping over lasers or ducking under them or absorbing them or reflecting them. :|

One last example: Maybe you know your opponent falls easily for mixups when you're coming off the edge, and you want them to have to come deal with one. With the forced recovery rule, that option is removed.
Actually, only plankers/scroogers force people to stop and do nothing half the time. Every other character can be punished while they're on the ledges. If you give your opponent space, then you just wasted a perfectly good opportunity to edgeguard and prevent them from touching ground, safe for every character while they're grabbing the ledge and their opponents are half a stage away.

To put it another way: Who can plank better than Snake can grenade camp? If the answer is only MK but you're willing to remove planking (and scrooging, in this case) from everyone in the name of keeping the game more aggressive, how do you justify not dealing with Snake's camping? Can we put in a rule where if the opponent stays at the far edge of the stage you have to move closer to them on the count of 3? That way it's a "fair" approach that will keep the game moving rather than being too defensive, and it's just the on-level equivalent of the rule you're proposing.
Between you and me... Kirby uses grenades better than Snake.

How would gliding between ledges be dealt with?
I think scrooging is easier to deal with than planking. We could either mimic Japan's rule to scrooging, which limits going under stages to only once until you touch ground... It's a good rule, since it forces the opponent onto the stage, which is vulnerable against campers... Depends on the community though, unless they want a different answer to it.

salaboB

Smash Champion
(Power)shield fromt he other side of the stage, force that Falco to approach. :dizzy:

Yes... Because shielding is very hard to do, as is jumping over lasers or ducking under them or absorbing them or reflecting them. :|
But you're missing the point: That was one specific example. Replace it with any character that's sitting and at an advantage from you being pinned against the edge of the stage. The instant you climb up, they can rush you and apply pressure -- and you were forced into that situation, rather than them having to come deal with your ledge mixups. I'm not saying this is a good idea in many situations, but giving one player an option to force another player to do anything predictable is restrictive to that other player -- and in this case will be artificially forced by a rule, not by game mechanics.

Actually, only plankers/scroogers force people to stop and do nothing half the time. Every other character can be punished while they're on the ledges. If you give your opponent space, then you just wasted a perfectly good opportunity to edgeguard and prevent them from touching ground, safe for every character while they're grabbing the ledge and their opponents are half a stage away.
That's still beside the point, if you have a reason to want to force the opponent to come to you on the ledge and they can force you off it, this anti-MK rule has just limited your options as a non-MK.

Between you and me... Kirby uses grenades better than Snake.
You're evading the point. If someone can set up a camp that's going to be as bad for someone to try to attack as it is to try to attack a planker (Read: You will get hit trying to break it) why should you be forced to approach them? If you can force someone to get off the edge and stop planking, you should be able to force someone to stop camping on-stage in a way that prevents any safe approach.

How is the situation materially different?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
But you're missing the point: That was one specific example. Replace it with any character that's sitting and at an advantage from you being pinned against the edge of the stage. The instant you climb up, they can rush you and apply pressure -- and you were forced into that situation, rather than them having to come deal with your ledge mixups. I'm not saying this is a good idea in many situations, but giving one player an option to force another player to do anything predictable is restrictive to that other player -- and in this case will be artificially forced by a rule, not by game mechanics.
Infinites are enforced by rules, the IDC Ban is enforced by rules, the Suicide Moves' results are enforced by rules... There's not much wrong with morphing our game around rules. We're forcing a brawler into a fighter by enforcing rules outside of the game.

That's still beside the point, if you have a reason to want to force the opponent to come to you on the ledge and they can force you off it, this anti-MK rule has just limited your options as a non-MK.
I can see this situation being worked around with a twist of my suggestion here and there... But I already said I'd think fo soemthing else, so you can just ignore my suggestion. Just keep the feedback rolling so I can keep morphing a decent rule that would be acceptable (unless of course, your goal is to get rid of MK as a whole, which I have no problem with... I just want to exhaust all of my options bfore dealing with absolutes. But say that you want him banned before i continue, I don't wanna go typing things when no one wants to listen due to their resolves being set in stone!).

You're evading the point. If someone can set up a camp that's going to be as bad for someone to try to attack as it is to try to attack a planker (Read: You will get hit trying to break it) why should you be forced to approach them? If you can force someone to get off the edge and stop planking, you should be able to force someone to stop camping on-stage in a way that prevents any safe approach.

How is the situation materially different?
The camper is at a vulnerable position, the opponent can get to him and regain the advantage, it's all about getting through his (vulnerable) defenses. Getting past planking (according to DMG's thread) is impossible, and when you manage to at least grab the ledge, you're now at a very unfavorable position. The difference between both? Camping has vulnerabilities while planking+scrooging don't.

NNID
Budget_Player
Kewkky. Please tell me you aren't serious. You're supporting an utterly arbitrary limiting rule that would absolutely need judgement calls from TOs and force approaches, and also not really work. It's worse than LGLs!

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Kewkky. Please tell me you aren't serious. You're supporting an utterly arbitrary limiting rule that would absolutely need judgement calls from TOs and force approaches, and also not really work. It's worse than LGLs!
No, what i'm doing is starting from the ground up to see if i can get to some sort of ruling that's aggreeable by both parties. Start from any ground, accept feedback, use it to form a new idea, accept feedback once again, form a newer idea... Unless someone beats me to the punch and suggests something agreeable before me.

If I don't do anything, I'll feel useless. I'm not really serious with suggesting that, which is why I've always called it a "suggestion" whenever I address the previous idea... I'm just trying to start from somewhere that hasn't already been covered before. :|

To me, the one true broken thing with MK is his pseudo-stalling techniques, and I want to see if there is any way that it can be taken care of, before having to resort to removing him from the tourney roster... I'm just looking at options.

NNID
Budget_Player
thats the funny part about it what work?
You have to learn spacing.
You have to learn when to use tornado.
You have to learn which part of your absurdly busted moveset you should use at any given time.
You have to learn to count ledges.
You have to learn to EDC without getting noticed.
You have to learn to plank correctly (takes some finger skill yo)
You have to learn to give up all sense of morals.

It's a lot of work.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Just wanna throw this out here... Does anyone find Japan's rule on scrooging acceptable at any degree? The whole "going under the stage twice is forbidden, you must touch ground after the first scrooge in order to be able to do the second scrooge (...)"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom