• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official MBR Tier List

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I hope you realize the entire tier list is built upon opinion.
The tier list is an opinion derived from the best and most knowledgeable smashes in the communuty, because its not fact but its based off facts and numbers and tournament results.

The list isnt as it is because somebody ambiguously thinks it is, reasons were given assumptions were made, and actual data goes into ranking the characters.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
The tier list is an opinion derived from the best and most knowledgeable smashes in the communuty, because its not fact but its based off facts and numbers and tournament results.

The list isnt as it is because somebody ambiguously thinks it is, reasons were given assumptions were made, and actual data goes into ranking the characters.
That's exactly it, but apparently somebody thinks I'm trolling when I say the tier list is built upon opinion.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
If you want to be taken seriously maybe you should elaborate on what you say and then not call everyone with a dissenting opinion a troll instead of just posting one or two lines.

indie_dave

Smash Ace
Irony...? Clearly, you didn't read a single thing that I said. He was the one calling me the troll, I never called anybody a troll.
dude

everybody knows cubaisdeath and pockyD are 2legit

if they think you should qualify your posts better

no need get defensive...

just try qualifying your posts better.

/random input

also ness for top tire discuss :ness:

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Ness for top tier.

When he finally levels up and uses moves he actually learns, he'll be really good. Psi Rockin + Paralysis + Life Up all day. Same with Mewtwo.

Rat

Smash Lord
What characters are capable of winning a tournament?

Where is the cut-off point?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I think the lowest ranked character that ever won a large tournament in 07 was ICs for Pound 2 but that's not really fair because Chu is a top level player, and easily one of the top 5 players for that era. Mango at Pound 3 was also similar, with mid tier / high tier (whatever you count Puff as) winning it, but again it's troublesome to use that because Mango's really good so you could also make the argument for simple player skill. Also, M2K hates Puff :)

On West Coast there was a large tournament with Luigi Ka-Master and Hugs in the finals, so if we're going off slightly smaller (but still formidable) tournaments, then Samus is also viable, but again we have the issue of Hugs and Ka simply being better than people at that time. Hugs is semi-retired from Melee (or did he quit entirely? Someone correct me on this), and Ka doesn't travel much, though, so - like Pound 2 - it's somewhat of an isolated incident.

The top four have a significantly higher amount of winning power than the characters below them. I think Jigglypuff, Falcon, and Peach all have enough to win good sized events, and get far, and a good pilot can take a mid tier pretty far, but whether or not the mid tiers can actually pull off a win with how gay Melee's become / is becoming is a tough one. I'm optimistic, though, so I'll give a very guarded "yes".

For major tournament, I think the upper end of mid tier can go far but I don't think unless they're more skilled or lucky or something they'll be able to win. Similarly, I think it would be brutally hard, but high tier could probably do it too.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Why the hell would u expect ****ty players to win tournaments. Top level players should always win unless the moons align or some sort of crazy mishap. But they are top level because they win. the same player without winning is just good

Mango won with puff. I think thats the lowest one, that I know of anyway.

Binx

Smash Master
Chu wins plenty of tournaments with ICs (though not typically national ones), Armada wins all the tournaments in Europe with Peach. For the most part though you are really handicapping yourself if you pick anyone under Falco.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
not neccesarily handicapping.

some chars just don't feel right for certain people so they go with whats comfortable or where confidence resides.

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
its not a handicap, is just that your chances of winning (the whole tournament) severely decrease. a long time ago(probably 2006-2007) The King told me "if you pick anyone under peach you are asking for trouble." I believe it. once you are out of the top tier region, your matchups get severely harder, and your characters have more "hard counters" than having advantages, or going even with another character.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Why the hell would u expect ****ty players to win tournaments. Top level players should always win unless the moons align or some sort of crazy mishap. But they are top level because they win. the same player without winning is just good

Mango won with puff. I think thats the lowest one, that I know of anyway.
My point was that they're (Mango and Chu) strange and arguably handicapped by picking worse characters. Pound 2 and Pound 3 happened once out of how many tournaments in that time.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
I would even argue to an extent that anybody below Sheik is limiting your "potential." Like on the previous pages, we discussed how Falco is a toned-down version of Fox, and how his control of the stage and his damage-racking combos are overseen by his inability to recover and how easy it is to gimp him. I remember even seeing one of those joke flow charts with Falco, and in the ending, it said "Lost? ---> Switch to Fox." While this flow chart was obviously a joke, it was correct to a certain extent; many people who realize how easy it is to gimp Falco often switch to Fox and then main him, not only because he is a better character overall but because of the gimps he can do on other characters and how more difficult it is to gimp him.

Also, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qna80MbcAAc

Watch the last kill, that's basically exactly what I mean by "easy to gimp." Not to say that this couldn't have happened to Fox (seeing how it's M2K controlling that Marth), but it's definitely a lot harder to gimp Fox and I don't think M2K would've gotten that gimp had it been Fox. Maybe.

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
I know fox, marth, sheik, falco, falcon, jiggs, and ics have won national tournaments. Has peach ever done this? Not counting Europe and their PAL shenanigans. I can't think of a huge USA tournament that peach has won.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Chu wins plenty of tournaments with ICs (though not typically national ones), Armada wins all the tournaments in Europe with Peach. For the most part though you are really handicapping yourself if you pick anyone under Falco.
ur right. its not that mango likes puff hes just sooo good that he wants a challenge.

Play with who ur are comfortable with and other characters are good cps at the least

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
there is a way to play ness good. ever hear of simna? it just sucks that there are so many ways to beat the character lol

otg

Smash Master
Uh... Simna... yeah.... not so great. No offense, that dude was the innovator of Ness's metagame, but that's not saying much at all. Ness is incredibly limited, and it shows. Where is Simna now? What high level tournaments did he ever win? None, most of what I've seen from him are videos of him beasting on players worse than him, and than getting 3 or 4 stocked by players who actually know what they are doing.

Rat

Smash Lord
I'm more curious if Mango could win a tournament with a mid/low tier.
Say Luigi or Young Link.

I'm also excited to see this peach wreck some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom