• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official MBR Tier List

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
John9Blue:

So, because Isai ***** ssb64 with every character at every tournament, every character is the best!

As for the fox argument. The reason people still construct arguments such as "just laser camp" or whatever is because often times the people who are expected to do it, don't, and then lose. It is then attributed that because they didn't do that strategy is why they lost. Except lucky camping armada at genesis, that doesn't count :laugh:. Theorycrafting can only go so far, yes, but the metagame is definitely approaching the peak of the theory. Except for bowser he still sucks.

john!

Smash Hero
@john9blue - what bout the fact that Mango ***** with his Falco just as hard?
I dunno, his Falco lost to Armada. But if he could beat everybody (including Armada) with Falco, then I'd be prepared to call Falco the second best. Then it would depend whether his Falco or his Puff is better overall, and I would consider that character to be the best in the game.

John9Blue:

So, because Isai ***** ssb64 with every character at every tournament, every character is the best!
Hah, well I dunno. Like I said earlier, you'd have to determine which of their characters they are better with, and that requires personal judgments. But clearly Isai's best character in 64 is the best character in the game.

As for the fox argument. The reason people still construct arguments such as "just laser camp" or whatever is because often times the people who are expected to do it, don't, and then lose. It is then attributed that because they didn't do that strategy is why they lost. Except lucky camping armada at genesis, that doesn't count :laugh:. Theorycrafting can only go so far, yes, but the metagame is definitely approaching the peak of the theory. Except for bowser he still sucks.
I have a hard time believing that people don't do something in tournament intentionally, that causes them to lose. Even if the metagame is approaching theory, there are two problems:

- The metagame will never reach theory, so theory is not all that important
- Theory is highly debatable, whereas tourney placings are indisputable

I've pretty much said most of what I think about this topic, you can agree or disagree or ask questions, but what I say might sound repetitious.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Say characters X and Y face off in an advanced game of rock paper scissors.

Character X can throw rock and it beats Y's scissors and Y's paper, only losing when Y throws rock.

Players of Character X would obviously exploit their advantage and rely on their overpowered rock.

Players of Character Y are forced to throw rock when X throws rock, and only do scissors when X throws paper. Y has absolutely no use for paper.

Which character has advantage in this situation?

edit:: i forgot to mention that Y loses when they throw rock and X doesnt throw rock.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
the funny thing about tourny placings is that right after the dominant jiggs/falco players, theres always like 2-3 Falcons in the top 10.

which is hilarious because everyone in this thread probably agrees that falcon is a garbage character compared to falco/fox/jiggs/marth/sheik and we chalk it up to scar/Hax/Darkrain/SS just being VERY good.

but when we talk about the 2-3 top jiggs, all of a sudden, it turns into JIGGS as a character must be something special.
jiggs is still garbage just like falcon.
but really good players succeed regardless of who they play as.

john!

Smash Hero
say Characters X And Y Face Off In An Advanced Game Of Rock Paper Scissors.

Character X Can Throw Rock And It Beats Y's Scissors And Y's Paper, Only Losing When Y Throws Rock.

Players Of Character X Would Obviously Exploit Their Advantage And Rely On Their Overpowered Rock.

Players Of Character Y Are Forced To Throw Rock When X Throws Rock, And Only Do Scissors When X Throws Paper. Y Has Absolutely No Use For Paper.

Which Character Has Advantage In This Situation?
Assuming this is directed at me...

X . . Y . . Winner
R . . R . . Y
R . . P . . X (not used)
R . . S . . X
P . . R . . X
P . . P . . X (not used)
P . . S . . Y
S . . R . . X
S . . P . . X (not used)
S . . S . . ?

Who wins when they both throw scissors? The players would just react and see who can react the quickest. X would have an advantage though, because more scenarios favor him.

I don't understand your point though... :dizzy:

the funny thing about tourny placings is that right after the dominant jiggs/falco players, theres always like 2-3 Falcons in the top 10.

which is hilarious because everyone in this thread probably agrees that falcon is a garbage character compared to falco/fox/jiggs/marth/sheik and we chalk it up to scar/Hax/Darkrain/SS just being VERY good.

but when we talk about the 2-3 top jiggs, all of a sudden, it turns into JIGGS as a character must be something special.
jiggs is still garbage just like falcon.
but really good players succeed regardless of who they play as.
If Falcon places really well in tourney, then I'd say he's definitely not a garbage character, wouldn't you?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
john, update that with my edit.

edit: and what normally happens in rock paper scissors when two people throw scissors?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I dunno, his Falco lost to Armada. But if he could beat everybody (including Armada) with Falco, then I'd be prepared to call Falco the second best. Then it would depend whether his Falco or his Puff is better overall, and I would consider that character to be the best in the game.
So what if he was the best player, but he could never win in dittos with another player for all the characters he plays?

I have a hard time believing that people don't do something in tournament intentionally, that causes them to lose. Even if the metagame is approaching theory, there are two problems:

- The metagame will never reach theory, so theory is not all that important
The thing is, matches reaching theoretical perfection is not all that far-fetched, especially when you're talking about amazingly technical players which the game is producing now. What will hold people up in the end is,

a. a lot of tech skill is useless or very situational but people WILL learn it if they need it.

b. Too many match-ups, but only a few important ones.

How can we talk about whether a match-up is actually good if we can say, "you know it really is 40-60, but if players could just reliably do [insert humanly possible tech skill here] and [insert humanly possible tech skill here] and [insert humanly possible tech skill here], then it would be a 65-35 in fox's favor.

Especially fox, fox players have shown the capacity to learn to do just about anything.

See the problem there, when players learn to do that, the value shifts, this essentially means that rather then discoveries and major shifts in the metagame that happen rarely defining it, the metagame shifts every 5 minutes as players achieve different tech skills.

Better a theoretical value for the tiers that reflect what players CAN do rather then what they're actually doing, because you can always tell a player, "do this this and this" to make them approach that plateau.

- Theory is highly debatable, whereas tourney placings are indisputable
That's because smash is a VERY difficult game to construct a proper theoretical model for unfortunately, but match-ups are pure logic, they should not be debatable, and that is an area that the community needs to improve in.

Honestly, you seemed like a troll at first, but you seem well-spoken now and bring up some valid points, props.

I don't understand your point though... :dizzy:
His point was that it's clear that rock has the advantage from a purely theoretical standpoint because rock beats two.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
If Falcon places really well in tourney, then I'd say he's definitely not a garbage character, wouldn't you?
not at all.

falcon is a garbage character with no approach, no stage control, no defense other than Dash dance spacing, no options out of sheild, no ability to kill at low percents, no recovery.

but great players do well with him regardless because player skill means alot more than character attributes.

john!

Smash Hero
So what if he was the best player, but he could never win in dittos with another player for all the characters he plays?
Dittos don't really determine which player is better at the character. Also, they don't affect the character's relation to other characters at all, so it doesn't affect the tier list.

His point was that it's clear that rock has the advantage from a purely theoretical standpoint because rock beats two.
Actually, if I was X, I would constantly throw scissors, because I would never lose.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Say characters X and Y face off in an advanced game of rock paper scissors.

Character X can throw rock and it beats Y's scissors and Y's paper, only losing when Y throws rock.

Players of Character X would obviously exploit their advantage and rely on their overpowered rock.

Players of Character Y are forced to throw rock when X throws rock, and only do scissors when X throws paper. Y has absolutely no use for paper.

Which character has advantage in this situation?

edit:: i forgot to mention that Y loses when they throw rock and X doesnt throw rock.
well, if Y loses when it throws rock and X doesn't, then X just always throws Scissors and never loses.

Your example seems flawed.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
I think we should make a new tier list and not necessarily by the MBR. I mean, that's how the SSB64 tiers got updated. Now we just need to debate which characters would go up/down.

Lovage

Smash Hero
that works for the ssb64 tier list because they have an extremely small community and were able to pretty much agree on the list easily. also that game has 12 characters with lots of people who play many characters (because characters are very easy to learn in that game)

so its super easy to rank

.Marik

is a social misfit
Don't forget the fact the SSB64 community has about 11 active members.

/troll

*Edit* Ninja'd by Lovage. Typical.

LAX_

Smash Apprentice
only change i think is that puff be moved to the top tier...
just disregard the placements. anyone on the same tier level can compete against each other easily. if it isn't on the same tier level, USUALLY it's harder (either slightly, moderately, or severely, depending on if you are comparing a high to a top or a bottom to a top).

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
I think all 2000 of us should sit down together and talk this over like adults. I think great conversation and debate would spawn from such a gathering.

`DNS`

Smash Lord
not at all.

falco is a garbage character with no approach, no stage control, no defense other than Dash dance spacing, no options out of sheild, no ability to kill at low percents, no recovery.

but great players do well with him regardless because player skill means alot more than character attributes.
i was about to LOL at this but i guess you meant falcon

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
anyone else have an extra page on this thread for no reason?
deleted posts still count as posts, but they are sent to the realm of last page where only mods can see

or something like that

either way: moderated posts dont get seen but are still there

when i first got into smash, as in: interested enough to see who was good and who was not, i was not surprised to see sheik high, but i was surprised to see that kirby was below pichu. My question arose then and i hope the status quo on the issue never changes: why would anyone ever make pichu better than any other character? Pichu should stay #26 for eternity

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
deleted posts still count as posts, but they are sent to the realm of last page where only mods can see

or something like that

either way: moderated posts dont get seen but are still there

when i first got into smash, as in: interested enough to see who was good and who was not, i was not surprised to see sheik high, but i was surprised to see that kirby was below pichu. My question arose then and i hope the status quo on the issue never changes: why would anyone ever make pichu better than any other character? Pichu should stay #26 for eternity
I thought mods just edit posts and didnt have the ability to delete them.

And if they could edit them why would they delete them.

Its more effective to insert whatever stupidity or inappropriateness with "im a *******" or "im banned 4 lyfe"

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
i don't mean to start this up, but why does this thread still have the word "Final" in the title?

p.s. i'm all for kirby being banned.

Clint_Eastwood

Smash Apprentice
Lol yea what M2K said.

Sigh these threads never stop flaming do they :(.

Ok as far as I know, the SBR ranks characters on the Tire List as of their tourney presence and how well they perform in tournies.

Therefore, theoretically, if a player is very good, and plays X character, and always does well enough that the SBR thinks his character does well enough in tournies, then that X character will be as high on the Tire List as the SBR thinks X character should be. So if, literally, EVERYONE played Pichu and ONLY Pichu at tournies, then Pichu would be the highest rank on the Tire List since none of the other characters show up in tournies nor do they have tourney presence.

If you think I am wrong and/or have a different definition of what a Tire List is, then that definition most likely is not, for lack of a better word, usable. For example, if you make a Tire List ranking each character from best to last, then there are way too many factors for people to commonly agree on who gets what rank. If theres enough of X character, then Y character will do bad in tournies because of their weakness, and then Z character will rank higher because they are even against X character but were weak against Y character. Because of situations like this, it would be very difficult to create a commonly accepted Tire List. And so, you have to incorporate Tourney Results as the main thing to consider when creating a Tire List.
I think Firestone should be higher, how about you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom