• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official MBR 2010 NTSC Tier List

D

Deleted member

Explain why you believe this is true. Why wouldn't basing how good a character is against all the other characters in the game say how good they are in tournament? Last time I checked thats what the game is about. One character facing off against another character.
because this game is about more than just characters, it's about players, their talents and preferences, and stages too. trying to isolate 1 highly debatable variable and claiming it as fact yields nothing really conclusive. it's very easy to say something simple and look smart like you did to people who don't really think about it outside of such a narrow perspective, but for the people actually looking for a conclusive answer, the other stuff is important too. the only surefire way to measure a character's "goodness" is by how good they do when it matters, so we use tournament results as the core to the tier list.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Well that depends on what the tier list is suppose to tell us. MU chart based lists should tell us which characters are expected to do better because they they do better vs the other characters collectively. And If you weight the MUs based on popularity or "importance" I dont see it being a problem.

But then after a weighted MU chart I dont see whats wrong with using the tournament results with a few other factors in as being much different because its essentially the same thing. ****ty characters arent winning, abundant, or placing well and would be weighted less anyway.

I really dont understand why there is still an issue. fundamentally the ranking of the MU chart would be the tier list that some of you ppl are searching for, so maybe attribute to help finish a MU chart and simultaneously gain your tier list instead of whining about the one we have.

I guess this one is just suppose to tell us how well the characters ACTUALLY [vs expected] perform in tournament, except I dont remember ever seeing YL gettin off but whatever lol.

So imo we should have a MU chart, we should have a tier list. Overall having a tier list that shows actuality is better because if u want expected you should just look at the MU chart order.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
because this game is about more than just characters, it's about players, their talents and preferences, and stages too. trying to isolate 1 highly debatable variable and claiming it as fact yields nothing really conclusive. it's very easy to say something simple and look smart like you did to people who don't really think about it outside of such a narrow perspective, but for the people actually looking for a conclusive answer, the other stuff is important too. the only surefire way to measure a character's "goodness" is by how good they do when it matters, so we use tournament results as the core to the tier list.
See I'm all for this as long as thats what actually happens.

but then the lists comes out and Peach is at 6th (instead of like 2nd or 3rd) and younglink/roy are above mewtwo and im like.. :glare:

but the tierlist presented is also a tally of votes from all the br members so everyone has different feelings on whats important when they voted, so having discussion like these are futile, because the final product doesn't/can't reflect the idea being put forth in this post.

D

Deleted member

yeah, i see some loaded statements waiting for an answer for you guys to pounce on. it's informal, we vote on it, and we start at tournament results and trends and that junk prior to voting. it's not really that big of a deal. but I do know that in the MBR it's pretty much unanimous that we're either not using match-ups and that if any MU chart comes out (not likely) it's still independent of tournament results and the tier list. they're just too different.

and for the record, roy and YL ARE better than mewtwo. mewtwo is ****ing garbage lol.

Bamesy

Smash Ace
...making interesting maneuvers in the Okanagan...
LOLOLOL

I've come to a 'conclusion' on my Tier List of 2010

Every year I have a 'List' in mind. It always involves 5 tiers with 3 characters in each tier
All characters are TIED inside the tiers.

Last years ::
1. Sheik/Marth/Fox
2. Falco/Falcon/Jiggs
3. Peach/ICs/Luigi
4. Pika/Doc/Samus
5. Yoshi/Ganon/Mario

New List

1) = Sheik/Marth/Fox
Should be obvious...these 3 are always **** and I've always had them at the top tied...everyone should always have these 3 at the top no johns. Marth not so shiny in doubles though, but good enough for sure.

2) = Falco/Peach/Jiggs
Nothing surprising...but I thought Armada was just amazing with her, but yeah Peach really is **** as a character in general too. Falco never matched the 1s. Being a little more shiny in doubles brings them to Falcos level easily too.

3) = Falcon/ICs/Luigi
Yeah, I'd back Luigi up for this spot any day...and after a lot of Falcon stiff in pretty much every possible area over the last year, I don't think he's quite where the 2s are. ICs I've always been iffy on but yeah they're shiny.

4) = Pika/Ganon/Doc
I'm still debating whether Ganon is a 4 or a 5...I don't like him as a character but I'm starting to think he might have use, Doc and Pika have always been legit and last year finally stapled them here so now it's just Ganons spot.

5) = Mario/Yoshi/Samus
Mario I've only really started to appreciate, Yoshi has always been good and glad people here are seeing something too, he's always been high enough in Japan though. Samus sucks a lot more than people tend to think.

That's about it...that matters anyway
4th LAST = YLink, Roy, G&W
They at least have room to grow, Cambodia LOLOLOL
3rd LAST = Link, DK, Mewtwo
Maxed out, they screwed, LOLOLOL they're so done
2nd LAST = Pichu, Kirby, Ness
Meh, doubt they got enough, Albino though LOLOLOL
1st LAST = Bowser, Zelda
Got no more, worst characters ever, but Zelda DownB

Now I'll see how this year goes. :)

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
roy is awful, his match up spread makes no sense. 40 -60 against spacies and then worse for everyone else in top + high tier except falcon who he goes even against

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
If they are new and vs notable players or oddly exciting I wouldnt mind looking at them. Anything after MacD vs Cosmo if its good.

otg

Smash Master

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
you guys arguing about Young Link are completely forgetting about the Cambodians.

http://www.youtube.com/user/CamboFlo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOUPrS3TJT0
NOT IMPRESSED.

See I'm all for this as long as thats what actually happens.

but then the lists comes out and Peach is at 6th (instead of like 2nd or 3rd) and younglink/roy are above mewtwo and im like.. :glare:

but the tierlist presented is also a tally of votes from all the br members so everyone has different feelings on whats important when they voted, so having discussion like these are futile, because the final product doesn't/can't reflect the idea being put forth in this post.
you seriously believe peach is 2nd/3rd? and you seriously believe mewtwo is better than y. link? NOT IMPRESSED.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
you really couldn't tell I was being sarcastic?

stingers

Smash Obsessed
thank god you were being sarcastic...lol I thought u really thought young link was better than mewtwo :laugh: u need to cut down the trolling ocean

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
hey alex, money match, young link vs mewtwo, $10?

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
god damn, the call out.

you sound more confident than 313 going into that $20 money match with smith.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
uhhh

jash, vanz, wak (in my opinion), chu. all of these don't really play anymore really, except for vanz, but he rarely goes y. link.

Laijin

Smash Hero
who is the best YL player, Laijinn? or roughly who are the top YL players?
D20, me, TRC, Vanz, Jash. Not sure who is better than who amongst this group.
Rhan, Chip and a few others are close to the above group.
Oh and those cambodian YL players are up there too. They should really come out to a national

JPOBS

Smash Hero
you seriously believe peach is 2nd/3rd? and you seriously believe mewtwo is better than y. link? NOT IMPRESSED.
It doesn't matter what I believe.

People (the mbr and its supporters) have swore up and down that this lis tis based on "tourny results"

Peach got two 2nd place and one 4th place in the three biggest tournies ever. . And theres a Mewtwo that gets around 15th-20th consistently going mostly mewtwo. YL and Roy literally haven't done ****ing anything in tournament since like 2005.

yet peach is magically below sheik and marth in a "tourny results" based tierlist, and yl/roy and magically above mewtwo :awesome:

Stop being a sheep and think about things for a second. Im just acknowledging inconsistencies.

and for the record, roy and YL ARE better than mewtwo. mewtwo is ****ing garbage lol.
How can you prove YL and Roy are better than Mewtwo, if they don't show it in tournament?

certainly it can't be matchups, because you were the one saying matchups shouldnt be used etc etc..

The Star King

Smash Hero
@JPOBS Armada is ONE example. Peach is relatively rare in tournaments in general.

Tournament results =/= Top 5 at the largest international tournament (which is a very small sample size). Tournaments results = A general overview of bracket results for local, national, and international tournaments. That's why Peach is 6th.

GOD!

Smash Ace
man after dawn youre sure dumb. when i think of u i ust think of some loud dumb kid who listens with his mouth open. idk wut else to say
are people basing this "cambodian young link" thing off of a single video clip? i think cambodia is just trolling us.
I thought he played some people from the US or something... and ***** them. idk who it was tho, it was before i was actually in the community.

akso JBOPS wtf tier list is not solely based on tournament results. no ones says that at all. tourney results influence people's opinons, but looking at each list id argue that they dont influence them very much. imo it would be better if tourney results had nothing to do with the tier list (nominally at least, because that may be the case anyway). I'd explain further but some idiot would probably flame me or kk would post some stupid ****.

Kira-

Smash Champion
1. fox
2. sheik
3. puff
4. falco

5. peach
6. marth
7. falcon

8. ICs

9. ganon
10. samus
11. doc

JPOBS

Smash Hero
unless im mistaken, it was dashdancedan

Idk if dashdancedan should be the measuring stick of skill tho.

Top Bottom