• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Official LINK VIDEO Thread

SS4Ricky

Smash Ace
i hate that kinda stuff. you post some matches, and it's guarnteed that one guy's gonna either post they can beat you, or that you're so-so. I would't even care if they posted constructive comments on techniques and stuff but they never do.

ok, on a different note, couple of things i wanna say:

This whole aniki business...yes he's good but he's 100% mindgames. I haven't seen any flashy/good/impressive combos ever comes out of him. I know the link boards haven't seen much of GERM (or me at all) for the past year, but don't count the US links out of the picture. I got to see some recent vids of Trevlyn and he's gotten a whole lot better than what i saw of him at FC3, struggling on his cancels with link.

But on that note aniki was thinking. germ also noted azen, he wins with like, everyone because he knows what the best with them. You see his link, and he'll throw a bomb, boomerang, bomb, bommerang, etc. until they get pissed and advance, leaving them right in his trap. Bread and butter type stuff, "oh that's lame, that doesn't look cool at all". And then he wins. Are up aerial combos with fox any different than projectile spamming? You do what's best for the character, and if you have to take the route that doesn't look as impressive to get the wins, then do it. With link you're playing against some of the gayest **** in the game, chaingrabs, grab+knee combos, drillshine infinites, laser spam...why does everyone else get annoyed when we dish it back to them?

Other than that good **** germ, i heard you stopped playing or something(i haven't been on the boards for a while) but it still looks like you got the fire. You're style is looking 100% business, and i guess it's just a style that people aren't used to seeing.

What the heck that new banner is wacky. That link looks just like you! :dizzy:

:link:

LHG

Smash Journeyman
Let me justify the purpose for these videos. I played a very fast aggresive Link for years, and that's what I was known for. I'm known for taking a taditionally slow character and making him fast and flashy as hell. For a couple of years I figured, If I just keep getting faster, I'll get better, which was what I thought but found out was completely wrong. I decided to experiment with my Link and go for more of a defensive route to see how it would work out. I watched some videos of HugS's Samus, Aniki, Azen, and other players who play reletively defensive and try mimic some of their techniques and incorporate a lot of my own. While doing this, I had to "dumb down" my gameplay so to speak. This means almost playing completely opposite to how I used to: not just throwing out random moves in hopes that they will hit, spamming A LOT more, no wavedashing for no reason, not always being the first to attack, less damage racking combos and more quick kill combos, playing more out of my shield, getting myself into non-punishable situations, and focus more on what my opponent is about to do and not so much on what move I will do next. Kaiser put it best, he said something like this to Lovo in his vid thread, "You are already playing a difficult character, trying to make him look flashy will only hurt you, you have to dumb down your gameplay in order to use him more effectively", which is what I've been experimenting with for a while now. Like I said, I'm known for playing the aggresive Link, up close battles and long combos, which is what I perfected and trained for all these years. And I figure, If/when I nearly perfect the defensive/spamming/smart Link, I'll be able to **** mercilessly from a distance as well as upclose and be twice as dangerous. With all this change of course, I'm going to look a lot slower and noobish in my videos(which I'm actually through giving a sh** about) but am actually playing a lot more efficient. This is why only players who've been in this community a long time and have a complete understanding of this game can see how I improved and noobs who are simply trying to look as flashy as possible think I've gotten worse and slower. Basically, depending on how good the player is and how hard his character can punish me for my mistakes, determines how "slow"/"fast" and cautious/aggresive I'll play. If I played some scrubby a** Ganon, I'll still be safe and not get hit but there is no doubt that you'd see the fastest fu**ing Link you've ever seen in your life. But If I played SS with the same Link I've been playing for years, he'd **** the living sh** out of me and punish me for every single mistake I made, same with Zel, I know because they've both done it before. With these videos I'm hoping to simply shed some light on some safer routes Link can take against faster and higher tier characters so he doesn't get punished and comboed to sh** every 5 seconds.
Probably the greatest thing I've read since taking Smash seriously, especially since it shows how noob my friend's frame of mind is on Smash now. Now I couldn't care less about what he says when I play him.

suprneb

Smash Cadet
anyone have the new dbr banner?

i never even knew ss became part of dbr, and i know dbr (or at least i thought i did)

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Definitely vast improvement, I noticed a significant effort to keep one step ahead of punishable situations which is crucial for laggy characters like Link.

fabianmo

Smash Apprentice
Very good matches
Im gonna follow a thing or two of them xD
Keep improving man ;D

J Flo

Smash Journeyman
While doing this, I had to "dumb down" my gameplay so to speak. This means almost playing completely opposite to how I used to: not just throwing out random moves in hopes that they will hit, spamming A LOT more, no wavedashing for no reason, not always being the first to attack, less damage racking combos and more quick kill combos, playing more out of my shield, getting myself into non-punishable situations, and focus more on what my opponent is about to do and not so much on what move I will do next.
This is exactly what I need to be working on with my samus as well as my other characters...focusing on getting the job done rather than looking flashy. Very interesting and insightful post, Germ. I enjoyed those match videos also!

Chip.

you know what to do
Hmm...

yep..

uh-uh..

yes..

Just as I thought, GERM has stolen some Aniki vids and said they were his own. I mean look at all that perfect spamming and mindgames. Seriously that's spacing of teh projectiles was as good as Caveman's Young Link when he spams.. no way this could be GERM.

Ahh I'm just playin' GERM ^_^ it seems that you've figured out something that I had suspected for a few months now..

Let me justify the purpose for these videos. I played a very fast aggresive Link for years, and that's what I was known for. I'm known for taking a taditionally slow character and making him fast and flashy as hell. For a couple of years I figured, If I just keep getting faster, I'll get better, which was what I thought but found out was completely wrong. I decided to experiment with my Link and go for more of a defensive route to see how it would work out. I watched some videos of HugS's Samus, Aniki, Azen, and other players who play reletively defensive and try mimic some of their techniques and incorporate a lot of my own. While doing this, I had to "dumb down" my gameplay so to speak. This means almost playing completely opposite to how I used to: not just throwing out random moves in hopes that they will hit, spamming A LOT more, no wavedashing for no reason, not always being the first to attack, less damage racking combos and more quick kill combos, playing more out of my shield, getting myself into non-punishable situations, and focus more on what my opponent is about to do and not so much on what move I will do next. Kaiser put it best, he said something like this to Lovo in his vid thread, "You are already playing a difficult character, trying to make him look flashy will only hurt you, you have to dumb down your gameplay in order to use him more effectively", which is what I've been experimenting with for a while now. Like I said, I'm known for playing the aggresive Link, up close battles and long combos, which is what I perfected and trained for all these years. And I figure, If/when I nearly perfect the defensive/spamming/smart Link, I'll be able to **** mercilessly from a distance as well as upclose and be twice as dangerous. With all this change of course, I'm going to look a lot slower and noobish in my videos(which I'm actually through giving a sh** about) but am actually playing a lot more efficient. This is why only players who've been in this community a long time and have a complete understanding of this game can see how I improved and noobs who are simply trying to look as flashy as possible think I've gotten worse and slower. Basically, depending on how good the player is and how hard his character can punish me for my mistakes, determines how "slow"/"fast" and cautious/aggresive I'll play. If I played some scrubby a** Ganon, I'll still be safe and not get hit but there is no doubt that you'd see the fastest fu**ing Link you've ever seen in your life. But If I played SS with the same Link I've been playing for years, he'd **** the living sh** out of me and punish me for every single mistake I made, same with Zel, I know because they've both done it before. With these videos I'm hoping to simply shed some light on some safer routes Link can take against faster and higher tier characters so he doesn't get punished and comboed to sh** every 5 seconds.

This, this is what I'm talking about. Everyone knows the GERM is so "fast" and "flashy" and "OMFG, I want to be like the GERM cuz' he's so cool!". But that's not what makes Link good. Link has gotta have spaming and you can't just stop doing it for style points, it's imperitive. It's a strategy you should play with Link and will in turn to be effective against fast, top-tier charachters like you said above.

You did good against SS, but I must say you got your *** handed to you in the third match at Poke'mon stadium. But I learned something important from you: Full-hop nairs **** on-rushing charachters like space animals and Falcon. It sheilds up good defense and can be a good combo starter/finisher. Plus, along with Link's "kick-glitch" it can fool other opponents into thinking that your boot is no longer out, but the hitbox is still there :chuckle:. When fighting using Young Link vs. Space animals, I use full-hop nairs and it seems to work out nicely for defense, but still isn't quite as good as Link's. You make Link awesome so keep up the good work ^_^

-Chip

P.S.-w00t, 400th post everybody!

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
very good link. Your style reminds me a lot of my own. :) Hmmm.. you did a few unnecessary up-B's at low percentages. I know it's a habit of wanting to use it when such an opportunity is given, but the move is pretty worthless at 0% damage.

Another thing was your bloopers or mishaps, like when you accidentally turned around in the air and shot an arrow (how did you do that in the first place? o_O) Your friend is also somewhat a victim of these bloopers as well, and even though bloopers are bloopers and they happen to everyone at some point, you were experiencing them a tad too frequently.

Skler

Smash Master
Make better decisions in general, such as less scrahhh! at low %s and much less shffling around a Marth when he isn't already shielding. He could have hit you every time you approached without a projectile lead in, but he didn't. Edgeguard better (no downtilts), spaced ftilts or bomb drops off the edge into whatever (maybe a sex kick off the edge, but marth can just swat you if you jump at him).

Your Link is good, but against Marth you have to play different due to his range (no other character except Roy gives Link range trouble on almost every move, and well, nobody plays Roy).

Bombs are your friend against Marth. They don't get swatted to death and stun for just long enough to hit him before any counterattack comes out. Speaking of counter, that Marth used it a TON.

Basically shffl less at Marth, don't scrahhh! at low %s and use more bombs for approaches, also don't use arrows to approach.

Last but not least, use perfect WDs. Most of the ones you did were very short (could have been intentional, but you really should be doing perfect WDs).

mach5

Smash Journeyman
I THINK! the up b you use isn't at wise times. and if you were to use it i think grab + throw down + up b would be the best situation. More shield grabbing could help you alot, and lead to more fairs, and nairs. You play pretty similar to me but i use more shield grabs and projectiles with the bombs more to rack up some damage. but overall i give your link about a 8/10

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Deva, if you're gonna make new vids, just make a new thread, stop bumping this one :p

Hey, it's been awhile since we've had a conversation >.> Anyways, it's good to see you got alot better.

There's a couple of things I would like to point out, but with that being said, I should note that I only saw the Link vs Marth on Yoshi Island video-
Put more pressure on your foe with projectiles- for instance, if your opponent sheilds a boomerang, try throwing other one immediately instead of attacking their sheild. I've seen Germ and Caveman do this a couple of times and it seems to work effectively- use projectiles not only to stop your oppenent's appoarch, but also to control a certain distance of spacing between you and him. Especially against a character like Marth, spacing is a huge issue. Then again, I did take note of the fact you used wavedashes and Link's sword length as tools to control spacing, nice stuff- also, it's never a bad idea to constantly spam! I saw a few instances where you could of drawn a bomb or though a boomerang but you rather waited for a brief moment- use your Nair and Bair a little more often. Etc, full jump Bair to Nair (while falling), Nair, doulbe jump to fastfalled Nair, and so fourth. Something that Mr. C and Germ pay extreme attention torwards.
By the way, stop dash dancing so much with Link. If you're going to dash dance with Link, do it "slower" so that you use the full distance of his dance (I don't know how else to explain this). Regardless, don't use it occasionally at all, it isn't very useful for a character like him unfortunately.

Eventhough I typed up a paragraph above, don't take it all too seriously. You have a solid Link. I'm glad to see the nice improvement and I look forward to your future videos.

Deva

Smash Lord
Wow, it has been a while since I've heard from you. I'm sorry you only saw the yoshi's Island match. For some reason I felt like playing fast and flashy with fewer projectiles. If you had seen the first match you would have seen much better spacing with the projectiles as well as more use of the nair and bair. Thanks for the tips though. I'll definately look into spamming another rang instead of jumping into my next attack. As far as the dash dancing I know what you're talking about. Again, for some reason I was overly flashy in that match to the point where my dash dances didn't have enough distance to work as a mind game. If you ever check this thread again, look at the first match. aside from an inane SD, a few of the problems you mentioned didn't exist. Mainly the projectile spacing, full hop Nairs, and less dash dancing with more distance. Really good to hear from you again. I was wondering where you disappeared to. Hope you can critique the other vids if you get a chance.

d2Law89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PolarUrs
3DS FC
1263-6319-5484
- Sweetspot the edge more
- Use more grabs
- Sffl Nairs
- Pay attention to enemies % (some moves were ineffective)
- Put a rhythm to your spot dodging
- Angle your boomerang

Other than that, you're pretty solid.

tHrilla`

Smash Journeyman
i'm not surprised by how much you've improved, deva; i always knew you were dedicated to becoming better. it seems that you and i both have an affinity for excessive wave-dashing and dash dancing, and our main is link...lol.

i only watched the first two matches. i suggest that you refrain from using your hook-shot for recovery so much when up-b would suffice. you know why, right? i hope so, cuz im really stoned right now and i don't want to explain. i get too caught up in all the little details about everything from every angle when i try to explain things; im too lazy to do that right now.

on a different note, i wonder why i've never seen a link player edge-tech. i do it all the time, especially against marth. it's a wonderful move and easy to time. anyway, i'm hungry. good job, deva. oh, and if you ever plan on going to vegas--maybe for a mlg tournament or vacation--let me know lol.

El_LoVo

Smash Ace
alright, I watched all the matches

first of all, good ****, you've definitely improved.

Against marth, you definitely wanna use the infinite boomerang thing, (when you thow, it hits them or their shield and comes back real quick so you throw it again.) but really, the most I use it is 3, 2 is the usual amount.
- you use bombs well, remember not to take out a bomb if you are too close to marth, wavedash + f-mash is gay.
- againts this guy, you should play out of your shield alot more. Seriously, if you just wait for him and shield, i'm sure would do alot better.
- don't get hit- remember to notice when you are being hit, and reduce that situation. Most of the damage the marth got on you was from when you charged at him with an ariel without throwing a bomb or boomerang beforehand. He usually just f-air'd his way through your attack.

-NJ'sFinest- full hop sex kick, (all attacks really) is a bad idea against marth.

alright, I'm done

Chip.

you know what to do
Ooooooooof!

..Ouch... now that hurt. I didn't do so well in those matches. I mean, I do have an aight Marth for being my second, but I assure everybody that I usually do better with my Marth. But overall, I must say that I did aight ^_^.

Yay, Deva you're getting better ^_^

EDIT: Oh yeah, NJzFinest, this "overly fast dashdancing" and such is what is known as a "mindgame" ^_^. If I'm correct, I think that he only did it most of the time between kills after he took a stock off me.

and geez, why do you refer to me as "a Marth"? I mean, I think I deserve a little more dignity for being a brother.

rude Deva ftw!

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
If you ever check this thread again, look at the first match. aside from an inane SD, a few of the problems you mentioned didn't exist. Mainly the projectile spacing, full hop Nairs, and less dash dancing with more distance. Really good to hear from you again. I was wondering where you disappeared to. Hope you can critique the other vids if you get a chance.
Oooo, I liked that first match better. Also what you say is right- taking out the SD, you did some of the things I did mention. I'll take a look at the last 2 in due time.
-NJ'sFinest- full hop sex kick, (all attacks really) is a bad idea against marth.
O_o, very true. Despite Link's priority in his Nair, Marth easily outspaces Link's foot...
It's been awhile since I've faced an experience Marth player, so I'm not used to being punished for these things anymore.
My bad :p
I guess there can be a few instances where the Marth is caught off guard >.>
EDIT: Oh yeah, NJzFinest, this "overly fast dashdancing" and such is what is known as a "mindgame" ^_^. If I'm correct, I think that he only did it most of the time between kills after he took a stock off me.
I never see that much players do the overly fast dashdancing anymore. It once was a commonly used mindgame, but now most people have realized it's simply better to abuse the full length of your dash instead of cutting it short while barely going anywhere.

So...yeah, I'll look at the rest of the vids tomorrow. Great stuff so far Deva and Chip :)

Chip.

you know what to do
So...yeah, I'll look at the rest of the vids tomorrow. Great stuff so far Deva and Chip :)

^_^ Your too nice, good sir ^_^
<3

I never see that much players do the overly fast dashdancing anymore. It once was a commonly used mindgame, but now most people have realized it's simply better to abuse the full length of your dash instead of cutting it short while barely going anywhere.
Hmm, well if it's a thing in the past that you say, then I don't think that'll just make Deva just drop it like that. I think maybe "slower" dash-dancing is good as well, so it's up to Deva to add it to his playing style. Maybe doing both for mixed mindgames would be good as well ^_^.

Deva, why didn't you up up the vids of our Young Link vs. Link battles :confused:? We can have some matches where I actually win some >_>...

SLH

Smash Journeyman
can't say i agree with your choice of style, but you've definately gotten better.

one thing that stuck out - your wavedashes seemed short, even for link. you'll get alot more distance if you angle it farther down for a perfect wavedash

and since i play marth a bit...

chip, don't always go for a double fair. when you're approaching, it's much better to just shuffle a single fair. and be gimpier with your edgeguarding! if he keeps using his hookshot, dash off stage and fair him. you tried this a few times, but you either got the timing wrong, or you were too late then hesitated. when you get that down and he starts using his up b, use counter or CC-dtilt him

Chip.

you know what to do
Thanx ^_^, I noticed that fairing him as an edgegaurd would in turn be effective against him and I never thought of using counter for arial upB, so yeah thanx ^_^.

I mentioned this before, but to refresh you all, Marth is just my second. I do far better with my Young Link ^_^ so I hope you all can wait patiently for us to post those vids.. even if they are long, boring matches :p.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Very solid, as somone said already, some of your moves wernt as effective, pay attention more and know what what finishes that character.

VVB

SD Champ
-Use more grabs. That combined with your good wavedash spacing could be devastating.
-If you get a enemy with a good bomb or rang, finish them off with a Fair. (high %)
-Combo out of grabs. Yoshi is a sucker for a dthrow.
-Don't be afraid nair off the stage, then egde hog. Nair backwards off the stage helps also for a extra Hookshot boost to recover.
-Watch for throwing your rang to close to a enemy. It leaves you open for punishment.

Overall, though, you have a good Link. You do somethings I wish I would do better. 0_o

Keep it up!

fabianmo

Smash Apprentice
Ok guys thx
I don't use the grab and dthrow because he immediately uses his second jump and kicks me with his nair before I can get a hit >.>
You guys said some of my moves were inefective, could tell me which ones exactly?
Thx

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Got some pretty badass tech skills.

That said, you don't need to wavedash every time you move. Kind of superfluous, especially when he's off the edge and you do it back and forth as opposed to... you know... killing him.

Also, think of the chain grab like reaching out for a woman. Keep trying it at a distance and they're going to punish you, especially if you're clumsy and smell weird. I think that's right.

Whatever, you get the point.

captainlukey

Smash Ace
i just spent like two whole hours reading this thread....
quite entertaining (with all the flaming and then finnally everyone getting along), but i never got to watch the videos wich bites ****.
why dont peoplle just upload to google video.
it would make things so much easier.

oh yeah i notice these posts are like a year old now.... so wat ever happened to deva and chip.... *cries out, but cant be heard over the dust and echoes of the old thread*
and yeah id like to see your videos now if you guys have any fresher ones.
bring this thread back to life.
captainlukey out.

captainlukey

Smash Ace
just managed to watch the vids....
all the criticisms i have with this have already been mentioned but other than that... yeah you got a pretty tight link there.
i was actually more interested in what chip was doing... cause i have a younger brother who is also a marth player... but he cant wavedash or do any adv tech so yeah.. good job chip (i especially liked the SH double Fair), you can also SH Fair jump again Dair... thats about all i know for marth, not being a marth player or anything
so anyway this is a rate my link thread so i will rate.... 6.5\10
good link overall, but when your opponent was running towards you when you had a bomb in your hands you would choke and put your sheild up... which isnt a bad tactic i spose but i ussually SH bomb drop and waveland backwards, causing them to run into the bomb setting you up for a double smash or more SH carnage....
this is probly the best link ive seen in a while (although the caveman plays a tight link, props cave)
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1283449992369442064&q=the+germ&hl=en
i still wouldnt want to cross you though, you do command a pretty tough lookin link.

brdy_

Smash Lord
Deva should have some vids of the two of us playing earlier today on here by tomorrow after classes. :D woot. If any of you guys have tips/critiques for me I would be much obliged.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
DEva,, HUGE improvements! really really good. Just watch out for marths fsmash. And go for the bomb just!!1!! :p jks. really smexy link!

RAQU

Smash Apprentice
not too shabby, however you should work on aiming your items (bombs mostly). i noticed many of ypur items flew into the platforms instead of the other guy.

bombs are a very great way to combo into many other attacks such as the spin attack, which u seem to like a lot, or the Dair which can be a great KO move. or for some added fun bomb - point blank boomerang - F smash x2 = up to 60% (sadly,only at like 10% and lower will this work)

lastly try using formations with the items every now and then they help u predict where he will go so u can have an easier time out prioritizing him. anyways hope it helps ^_^

Top Bottom