• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Official LINK VIDEO Thread

Chip.

you know what to do
I love how like two people complimented me and my playing style.

Well, then again this is the Link threads..

And I virtually almost lost all my matches..

and he is my second..

**** XP

Demoyoshi

Smash Cadet
You should try to attacking aerial while jumping normally.
You also have to act quick against marth, so you always have to move around so
he cant get aim at you. And loose the arrows and put in a Nair!

Dark_Crono

Smash Journeyman
Against Marth you always have to take advantage of your projectiles, try to keep moving while you throw him boomerang and bombs( remember that after you hit him with your projectiles you can combo him a lot), dont use the short hop arrow against him because he can shieldgrab you and thats something really easy to do, after Down grabs in low%(10-25) you can make really good damage with the up tilt but after you get him to 30% i suggest you use the Uair and then Dair.
Remember that against a marth you always have to keep him at a good distance.

you know i really like the way you grabbed him in 4:45:cool:

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
an honest opinion?

find better competition...play smarter.

The marth is not good. post up some vids vs. someone who is.

yr good. hows yr falco / CF matchup?

Chip.

you know what to do
an honest opinion?

These were just friendlies to let you know and we weren't playing all out or even trying that hard for the matter. Why do you think Deva dashdanced for no reason in the middle of the stage? Why do you think I just tried spaming fairs only so much? It's called a friendly. We were playing only moderate and decided just to play around more than anything (don't know about Deva, but I'm pretty sure I think he did too).

We can get some better quality vids sometime in about a week or two; where I don't play all that much like a ******.

you can also SH Fair jump again Dair... thats about all i know for marth, not being a marth player or anything
Yeah, you mean the Ken Combo? lol, I know how to do it, it's just harder whenver they DI it from my fairs ;>_<;

brdy_

Smash Lord
an honest opinion?

He should have some videos against me coming soon. I've been bugging him to put them up for like a week now (I play Peach...)

NadaisaGod

Smash Apprentice
Okay, let me defend myself a little.... I am in no way calling myself even close to pro level but Deva insists that I would do well.
First of this video is a week old and I have picked up on a few more advanced moves, I just learned of the advanced moves about a month ago and have been working on them since. I know I am slow and use alot of nOOb moves but try to remember this is only after one month knowing about shffle, wave dodge, and the spike. It took me along time to learn how to short-hop consistantly but I am using it alot now. So as you can tell alot of my attacks are slow and not well timed.
Second, is that Fox has the most horrible time shffling Link because no matter how well timed mine is if Link shffles back I get beaten in priority. So my shffling, though I am getting it down, is rather useles oin this case.
Third is that I use the attacks shown because they do work on Deva while other advanced attacks I am just too sloppy with. So my timing is good on the nOOb moves but not so great on the advanced moves, but I realy need to incorporate some of the advanced techs into my playing style. The most advice I have is, don't use Up + B NEARLY as often, it's generally ineffective when the newness of it wears off, and you'll start getting punished heavily, then MINDGAMES. Overall, nice job.

All that I ask is do not be too harsh on me, I never said I was good- ever. This is the first month I have known about thses techniques and I do not have 24 hour accesst to a Game Cube so training is a slow process for me. -Thanks, Ashtten
Fox doesn't have a hard time SHFFLing Link at all. Learn to mindgame into it, and Link will not outprioritize you. Out range you, yes.

Deva, you're far too reliant on the Up + B edgeguard, and in general. You're painfully predictable, as well. Every time the Sheik dthrow'd you, you would djump inti a dair. Personally, I think you could do with a heavier projectile game, but it's mostly because I'm an Aniki fan at heart. The hookshot is nice, but you're overusing it. At some point, your opponent is going to say, "Screw this." and nair you out of it. Try learning the bomb recovery.

Ashtten

Smash Journeyman
Fox doesn't have a hard time SHFFLing Link at all. Learn to mindgame into it, and Link will not outprioritize you. Out range you, yes.

Deva, you're far too reliant on the Up + B edgeguard, and in general. You're painfully predictable, as well. Every time the Sheik dthrow'd you, you would djump inti a dair. Personally, I think you could do with a heavier projectile game, but it's mostly because I'm an Aniki fan at heart. The hookshot is nice, but you're overusing it. At some point, your opponent is going to say, "Screw this." and nair you out of it. Try learning the bomb recovery.
Hey dude the vids ere from like 4 months ago when we first started to use the advanced techniques... so umm, watch the ones he played versus the marth cause those are the new ones. I have not gotten any vids with Deva in a long time though so, yeah. I am a lot better but so is he so those vids should get taken off.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Wow the improvement is definitely noticed, i do think that you might want to use a healthier mix of projectiles though, i like to use bombs as almost spot guesses to where your opponent is going, it can't hurt to close off an option with a well placed bomb, and just doing that makes your link more unpredictable

VVB

SD Champ
Don't you just LOVE Fairs? Dude, you've improved a lot.

+Great improvement on in the Fairs.
+Good job shuffling the Uairs.
+Good projectile use. Watch out for point blank rang throws.
+Work on SHFFLs
+Good job with more grabs. Capt will just eat shieldgrabbing since he has to be a close range attack. Also, jab grabbing works pretty well.
+Against Samus, Bairs will crush and aerial game she tries to play. Uairs work wonders also because of her floaty nature.
+I noticed you used the WD to grab. Nice.
+Something i didn't mention before, try reverse grabbing. Bair to a grab. Depending on where the enemy lands is weither you have to turn around after Bair or not.

I'd love to see more of your stuff. Great improvements. Keep it up!

P.S. FAIRS FTW!!!

Chip.

you know what to do

Umm, yeah I think you're a bit lost :laugh:.

..See Deva, you should've just made a new thread :psycho:, then it wouldn't confuse people so much with your old/crappy Link vids.

Axtlár

Smash Rookie
That Marth was played by a monkey wasn't it? and even so, he did caught you off-guard a few times, you need to practice more and sharpen your reflexes and precision hits, oh and don't be afraid to use strong attacks

tw0 side

Smash Apprentice
No doubt Link is not your character. I am sorry to say I am not a Link player either, but you killed yourself with him quite a few times.

fabianmo

Smash Apprentice
Don't you just LOVE Fairs? Dude, you've improved a lot.

+Great improvement on in the Fairs.
+Good job shuffling the Uairs.
+Good projectile use. Watch out for point blank rang throws.
+Work on SHFFLs
+Good job with more grabs. Capt will just eat shieldgrabbing since he has to be a close range attack. Also, jab grabbing works pretty well.
+Against Samus, Bairs will crush and aerial game she tries to play. Uairs work wonders also because of her floaty nature.
+I noticed you used the WD to grab. Nice.
+Something i didn't mention before, try reverse grabbing. Bair to a grab. Depending on where the enemy lands is weither you have to turn around after Bair or not.

I'd love to see more of your stuff. Great improvements. Keep it up!

P.S. FAIRS FTW!!!
Thanks =D
Ill try using the reverse grabbing, but first I gotta practice =P
Any more suggestions?

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Haha no most people seem to have caught on Chip, and i guess a couple months ago it would have been well taken into consideration :shrug:

NadaisaGod

Smash Apprentice
Just critiquing the Marth vids doesn't nearly as much. Marth plays harder strengths than others. It's different saying, "You need to learn to recover better," when you're watching Link vs. Marth, rather than when you're playing Fox. Also, I stand by my previous comments even when watching the Marth videos. More projectiles, less Up + B.

Chip.

you know what to do
But NadaisaGod, I told you already that all of the other vids of Deva are old and are of 5-6 months ago when he wasn't that good, and basically sucked XD. It doesn't matter if it's a Marth match, just don't watch any of those other vids. It's how good Deva currently is ( besides that we both were just slightly sandbagging in our friendlies). We WILL attempt to get some other vids against other people and we will try to play better to our potential before we even think about posting these vids on the air.

Basically, I thought he spamed and spaced very well against me, it's actually hard to do it against Marth esp. when he weapon-cancels every one of your projectiles.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Let me justify the purpose for these videos. I played a very fast aggresive Link for years, and that's what I was known for. I'm known for taking a taditionally slow character and making him fast and...
Somebody finally sees the whole picture. I'm proud of you GERM. :)

tHrilla`

Smash Journeyman
don't stress over what he says, chip. he's obviously an illiterate nub and was completely incoherent in his last post. lol, i don't know why, but i love making fun of other people.

Chip.

you know what to do
don't stress over what he says, chip. he's obviously an illiterate nub and was completely incoherent in his last post. lol, i don't know why, but i love making fun of other people.
:chuckle:

*sigh* perhaps you are right tHrilla', it's just that I try my best not to be too offensive to anyone, despite their ignorance.

tHrilla`

Smash Journeyman
:chuckle:

*sigh* perhaps you are right tHrilla', it's just that I try my best not to be too offensive to anyone, despite their ignorance.
lol, that's the difference between you and i. i almost feel like i'm the new njzfinest on the link forums.

Deva

Smash Lord
lol, I'd say at least 70% of my posts have come from arguments with NJ. I actually have a lot of respect for the guy. He just says it like it is, though with a bit of consideration. He could have shut me up so many times when I first got on, yet he let me have my fun. I do thank him for being harsh or else I would probably still be as n00by as I was in those first vids. BTW tHrilla, I think you're even harsher than NJ when it comes to n00b bashing. lol, every time I see an ill thought out post, I try to get on and let them know of their mistake. instead two minutes later I see "You're young and naive...shh...nub..":laugh: It gives me a good laugh for the day.

Alright, obviously leaving the old vids for playing history was a bad idea. I got rid of them now so hopefully people will critique the vids vs. Marth. I'll try to get new vids up in the next week.

Ashtten

Smash Journeyman
Deva we are gonna have to record some vids of us now too, for some new ones... I beat Red a couple times on friday so I cannot be too horrible.

tHrilla`

Smash Journeyman
Roy-san, don't listen to twO side. he obviously doesn't recognize the...well, the obvious, to be frank. listen, from watching your video, it's clear that you have a firm grasp of advanced techniques--as they would apply to every character. however, it is also evident that you lack experience with link. tell me--just so i can get a better understanding of what skill level you're at with link--what is your strategy against fox? i ask this for a reason, trust me. if you don't know how to take advantage of everything you possibly can, especially against fox--which isn't even his worst match-up by the way--then you're screwed.

so tell me, what is your plan of attack against fox? i'll respond accordingly.

Roy-san

Smash Cadet
i c...

well for me i mainly fight up close against fox, after spamming neautral airs to get em off the stage. I throw a boomerang once in a while and knock em off or something but mainly i fight up close and personal.

do u think thats bad?

Skler

Smash Master
You need more projectiles (you pretty much only used the bomb against him). I'm not saying to use the arrow though, unless hes off the edge and at the exact angle where an arrow makes sense.

Don't be so fancy, Link isn't fancy. Wavelands on platforms and jumping up and doing it again is nice and fancy but won't help you're game at all. That time is better spent spamming.

I saw very few full jumps, One of the best things Link can do is full jump a nair (started early in the jump) and then double jump into a dair or another nair depending on if they try and shieldgrab the first nair.

The fair is too slow to spam against Fox. The nair is great with high priority and great speed. I know fairs can lead to grabs, but no Fox will just jump into your fair, they can go above it or just hit you during the startup.

More downsmash. It's fast and great.

Don't always DI the shine down (most of the time it looked like you either DIed down or not at all). Mix up smash DI away with DI down into dsmashes. The dsmash is fast and great at hitting space animals above you for utilts and uairs.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
When you just start playing with a character, your gonna end up killing yourself a lot. It's all tech skill. Once you practice Link enough, you'll learn how all of his attacks work, and more importantly how to move him correctly. I know it sounds weird, but right now your at the point where you have no control of him. Keep working on him, go into training mode and just practice wavedashing and all of his shffls and learn to spam fast. After you have a good feel for him, then start trying to fight opponents

Oh yeah, 1 piece of advice... ... ... Don't fight fox with Link

tHrilla`

Smash Journeyman
don't fight too up close against fox; space him with a a jabs. a a > downsmash is also good against fox. if fox has 0%-20% and you manage to grab him, i would throw him down and tech chase. if he has 30% or higher, throw him up and react accordingly--i don't feel like explaining all the possible variables.

keep in mind that fox is a fast-faller and has a longer stun time in the air than you do. for example, if fox has around 80%-100%, it's possible to land a dair on him after an up-throw; actually, this is pretty common and one of my favorite moves.

Top Bottom