• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Official LINK VIDEO Thread

Zodiac

Smash Master
I'll get to it. :D :), Your Link is really quick, and thats one of the most important things for Links to have. so theres not much to say besides that first match was awsome! and that Your Link is heading the right way, but, watch the vids and pick out all the flaws and work on em. That way you'll be able to fill them in and they wont be a problem anymore. Good link though!

mkmelee

Smash Lord
the truth isn't always exciting.
I think he meant more than a dull post, like perhaps stupid?

Great stuff GERM. A lot of the same stuff, but you've improved in performance greatly. I wished at times you would seek out a grab a bit more, but I realize that it's risky and difficult, though there were a few times when you did end up throwing one in a less probable situation.

Anyways, great to see your Link around again.

TheSavageBlueBoy

Smash Apprentice
hmmm, well when I saw this thread and found out it was new germ videos I got pretty excited, thinking I'd see some new skill, but from the looks of it you've got worse, tsk tsk tsk. I think you took to much time away with falco or mabey these aren't your best game vids, but after seeing these it feels almost as if I could beat you, but we won't know that for sure untill the next time we meet in person, that is if that ever happens again. ^_^

The GERM

Smash Ace
hmmm, well when I saw this thread and found out it was new germ videos I got pretty excited, thinking I'd see some new skill, but from the looks of it you've got worse, tsk tsk tsk. I think you took to much time away with falco or mabey these aren't your best game vids, but after seeing these it feels almost as if I could beat you, but we won't know that for sure untill the next time we meet in person, that is if that ever happens again. ^_^
Let me justify the purpose for these videos. I played a very fast aggresive Link for years, and that's what I was known for. I'm known for taking a taditionally slow character and making him fast and flashy as hell. For a couple of years I figured, If I just keep getting faster, I'll get better, which was what I thought but found out was completely wrong. I decided to experiment with my Link and go for more of a defensive route to see how it would work out. I watched some videos of HugS's Samus, Aniki, Azen, and other players who play reletively defensive and try mimic some of their techniques and incorporate a lot of my own. While doing this, I had to "dumb down" my gameplay so to speak. This means almost playing completely opposite to how I used to: not just throwing out random moves in hopes that they will hit, spamming A LOT more, no wavedashing for no reason, not always being the first to attack, less damage racking combos and more quick kill combos, playing more out of my shield, getting myself into non-punishable situations, and focus more on what my opponent is about to do and not so much on what move I will do next. Kaiser put it best, he said something like this to Lovo in his vid thread, "You are already playing a difficult character, trying to make him look flashy will only hurt you, you have to dumb down your gameplay in order to use him more effectively", which is what I've been experimenting with for a while now. Like I said, I'm known for playing the aggresive Link, up close battles and long combos, which is what I perfected and trained for all these years. And I figure, If/when I nearly perfect the defensive/spamming/smart Link, I'll be able to **** mercilessly from a distance as well as upclose and be twice as dangerous. With all this change of course, I'm going to look a lot slower and noobish in my videos(which I'm actually through giving a sh** about) but am actually playing a lot more efficient. This is why only players who've been in this community a long time and have a complete understanding of this game can see how I improved and noobs who are simply trying to look as flashy as possible think I've gotten worse and slower. Basically, depending on how good the player is and how hard his character can punish me for my mistakes, determines how "slow"/"fast" and cautious/aggresive I'll play. If I played some scrubby a** Ganon, I'll still be safe and not get hit but there is no doubt that you'd see the fastest fu**ing Link you've ever seen in your life. But If I played SS with the same Link I've been playing for years, he'd **** the living sh** out of me and punish me for every single mistake I made, same with Zel, I know because they've both done it before. With these videos I'm hoping to simply shed some light on some safer routes Link can take against faster and higher tier characters so he doesn't get punished and comboed to sh** every 5 seconds.

Link226

Smash Ace
Please Rate My Link 1 to 10

Hey umm i dont have alot of vids of me right now but i plan on having more in the near future. My tag is 4eyez but have been thinking about changing it...dont know to what tho. I played with Imperial Era...and plan on doing it more soon. I would appreciate all the advice i can get...and tell me what i do too much and what i need to start doing more.

This is the hardest part of smash for me....and thats knowing what i need to train on. So if ya can help me out that would be really appreciating. Thx in advance

4Eyez (LINK) VS. Jash (Y.Link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0xSnnpp6u4

4Eyez (Link) VS. Dark.Pch (Peach)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSMdgvARG74

Me and Jash had a few battles but they are very recent ones of us. We decided to play a new style...a proish type style just to see if it makes us better. so yes here are the videos of the new crew "Team Epic" Enjoy.

Jash (Young Link) vs 4eyez (Link) Corneria http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiIdJgMqu04

Jash (Young Link) vs 4eyez (Link) Battlefield http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m11X2xzpGpw
Jash (Young Link) vs 4eyez (Link) Dreamland http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoSIvap7Uxk

Jash (Young Link) vs 4eyez (Link) Corneria http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZEmFWNmSvM

Jash (Young Link) vs 4eyez (Link) FOD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMC3xloTuoI

Jash (Young Link) vs 4eyez (Link) FOD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbiZ1Kf-wo0

Jash (Young Link) vs 4eyez (Link) FD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U0TjNG9u-A

Jash (Young Link) vs 4eyez (Link) YS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyOeHTq6qU0

Jash (Young Link) vs 4eyez (Link) Dreamland http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8GCW2IErwI
Jash (Young Link) vs 4eyez (Link) FD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yp34HcXmnw

Jash (Young Link) vs 4eyez (Link) Dreamland http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urHd6SX9_bY

I hope you guys enjoy the videos. Most of our matches here are very close so its barely one sided all the time.

P.S : Thanks Jash for the training, your ****ing pro!!, TEAM EPIC!!!!!

Ikural

Smash Journeyman
First match

Il give you about a 6 or 7 out of ten
1=level 9
10=Aniki
You could have had the s*** shield grabbed out of you
I know thats almost my exact fighting style.
You try to edge hog more.
also try the throw down- it gives you more options.
Low damage-Up B
High damage-Uair
Mid damage-Dair/sex kick(nair)

Second match

Il give you about a 7 or 8 out of ten
You gave less shieldgrabbing options, but you were way too predictable.
at the begining peach could easily spot dodge everything.

But i really liked your use of up tilt

mkmelee

Smash Lord
Good videos. You have a pretty good link, and you seem to be able to do just about any move that is required of a good link with good skill. As others haev mentioned however, you're quite predictable in your game whether we're talking about the tech rolls, recoveries, and most especially grabs. I don't think you need to hear this from me, but I suggest that you never ever throw a grab solely because you see your opponent in front of you, you have the room, and you think you can catch them off guard. Why? Because you must've missed more than 80% of your grabs doing what seemed like this, and though you weren't severely punished for it imo, it'll bring you down.

Mostly, try to mix things up and play a bit smarter which includes your defence and mindgames, because Darc's roy and dk weren't too fast or abusive, but against a skilled shiek, fox or other high tier character, I believe you wouldn't have been so lucky.

mkmelee

Smash Lord
Just wondering. Is Link able to escape jab smashes and shine smashes from fox?

Oh and GERM. Forgot to mention. At times while facing Zel you seemed to be so busy trying to space yourself out with pojectiles that it didn't matter how effective they actually were. For example, often you'd throw a bomb seemingly without much of a plan other than to pull out another one, while zel would shine it or shield it and it's almost as if you didn't expect it to come back... I guess the whole defensive thing doesn't come to you as easily as your usual aggressive style does, but just thought you should work on planning out your projectiles a bit better.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Really enjoyed that history of your Link Germ. And I learned a lot from watching those vids. especially how to deal with a falcon, as well as a fox and falco. anyway, i'll be looking forward to your next vids.

Uck

Smash Journeyman
Ok I watched both matches.I really dont like watching Link on final destination for a critique video.

For Dreamland I saw that your opponent wasnt to experianced.Since this was the case I just watched you from a technical aspect and wacthed to see if you developed a style.

Critque below: (Honest Review only based on the two videos provided)

Your doing well keep it up even though you need much more experiance and seem to be in the beggining stages of advance play.You werent sloppy and seemed pretty balanced at this stage.You dont seem to be able to react to certain situations.This is only a lack of experiance at this stage of play keep up the good work and I hope to see more videos.

Dont take out bombs when your at high percentages while your opponent is respawning.
Dont shield grab aerials ever unless they hit the top part of the shield.
Link has an advantage at killing Peach.Peach is a floaty so If you can get a down aerial in early you can kill her .Her recovery abilities wont save Peach from an early KO with dair.
Throw Peach down to set things up.Unless you want to mix things up for fun.

SLH

Smash Journeyman
6 out of 10

good, but you did make some odd mistakes. the only time you used projectiles was when you were on the other side of the stage from the peach. you just seemed to be rushing her alot, which is a bad move against a good peach. you also didn't grab her at all, when you had tons of chances to. dthrow combos **** the **** out of peach.

you have potential, keep it up.

TheSavageBlueBoy

Smash Apprentice
ok, I hope your going to post more on your defensive link, I really do wonder if it'll get better or if it will still feel like you lost some skill, but like I can't truely judge from just watching videos I have to play you in person.

hit0

Smash Journeyman
Coincidence?

Let me justify the purpose for these videos. I played a very fast aggresive Link for years, and that's what I was known for. I'm known for taking a taditionally slow character and making him fast and flashy as hell. For a couple of years I figured, If I just keep getting faster, I'll get better, which was what I thought but found out was completely wrong. I decided to experiment with my Link and go for more of a defensive route to see how it would work out. I watched some videos of HugS's Samus, Aniki, Azen, and other players who play reletively defensive and try mimic some of their techniques and incorporate a lot of my own. While doing this, I had to "dumb down" my gameplay so to speak. This means almost playing completely opposite to how I used to: not just throwing out random moves in hopes that they will hit, spamming A LOT more, no wavedashing for no reason, not always being the first to attack, less damage racking combos and more quick kill combos, playing more out of my shield, getting myself into non-punishable situations, and focus more on what my opponent is about to do and not so much on what move I will do next. Kaiser put it best, he said something like this to Lovo in his vid thread, "You are already playing a difficult character, trying to make him look flashy will only hurt you, you have to dumb down your gameplay in order to use him more effectively", which is what I've been experimenting with for a while now. Like I said, I'm known for playing the aggresive Link, up close battles and long combos, which is what I perfected and trained for all these years. And I figure, If/when I nearly perfect the defensive/spamming/smart Link, I'll be able to **** mercilessly from a distance as well as upclose and be twice as dangerous. With all this change of course, I'm going to look a lot slower and noobish in my videos(which I'm actually through giving a sh** about) but am actually playing a lot more efficient. This is why only players who've been in this community a long time and have a complete understanding of this game can see how I improved and noobs who are simply trying to look as flashy as possible think I've gotten worse and slower. Basically, depending on how good the player is and how hard his character can punish me for my mistakes, determines how "slow"/"fast" and cautious/aggresive I'll play. If I played some scrubby a** Ganon, I'll still be safe and not get hit but there is no doubt that you'd see the fastest fu**ing Link you've ever seen in your life. But If I played SS with the same Link I've been playing for years, he'd **** the living sh** out of me and punish me for every single mistake I made, same with Zel, I know because they've both done it before. With these videos I'm hoping to simply shed some light on some safer routes Link can take against faster and higher tier characters so he doesn't get punished and comboed to sh** every 5 seconds.
****, I thought that I was the only one who went down this path. Germ, I like the way your thinking, well...actually it's not thinking as much as it is adapting to the competitive environment and simple reacting to actions. I learned this myself long ago, it's hard at first to listen to other people judge you because the compare the present with the past, but they don't understand until they actually play you. I'm glad that you were able to refocus and analyze what it took to get past that plateau. Well done.

I have a crew about the same size as yours (top CR crew), maybe we'll game sometime on SSBB (if you're up to it) my msn is maveric_xz@hotmail.com

D

Deleted member

yo Herman,

I haven't watched any of these videos yet, and I haven't read a single post in this topic. I'm only posting here cause I know you'll read it cause you created the topic.

You're one of the few people I've ever met that is a good person but still manages to be a ****ing badass in every aspect. Smash aside, you're awesome. Keep doing what you do.

Link226

Smash Ace
thx for he honest review guys...thats the **** too. That was one of my first times ever playing a Peach....it was something new to me. Can ya tell me anything that ya see that im doing too much? Or to little? Cuz now i know i shouldnt take ot a bomb while opponents are respawning with high life, never grab after an aerial...cuz i guess your opponents expect that and side-step, and do i grab too little? Cuz both of ya said that i had tons of chances...but didnt take them. Sorry for all the questions :dizzy: lol

O so i cant rush a Peach huh? I need to seriously start training on my fighting style cuz i would usually rush but im trying to change that now and use my projectiles.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Your style is the 2nd style I used when changing from Kirby to Link in my best character. It was the one that really upped my all around skill with every character. I thought one wasn't impressive (5/10), and the other was better (8 out of 10). Overall you need more use of projectiles (bombs, boomerangs, b&a), but usomewat overuse bombs and use bombs in oddly high dmg. %. I overall give you a 7/10, and you have a ton of potential. Also dodging needs improvement (who doesn't need this), and just work on a ton of stuff in normal fights and practice. It all comes to you in time, patience, and training. That is wat made me into a every trophy earned it all on ur own kinda player, and just keep at it. U also headed into combat weird, but ur close range combat was 1 of ur best notes. Keep at it and it will all add up into ur great, personal, own unique hard to beat style!

Syk0

Smash Journeyman
i give you an eight. you have near perfect balance with link, and you make him look fast. to me thats very impressive, but i have to aggree with the majority alittle more before we can call you an "aniki" or "germ." by the way check out my new vids up may be you can rate me and my friends this time. heres the link to one of them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmhK0JKF4JU

Uck

Smash Journeyman
As for your question about grabbing.Its all situational just because you have a chance to grab doesnt mean its a good idea.You dont want to miss the grab and lose a stock because of it.

Although when not in a tournament you should always try and practice different grabbing techniques so you get a much better understanding on when and when not to attempt grab.

You cant just watch a video and say oh I should of grabbed him there persay.In a match theres alot of mindgames going on.Only practice and experiance will tell you when to grab.

El_LoVo

Smash Ace
ok, I hope your going to post more on your defensive link, I really do wonder if it'll get better or if it will still feel like you lost some skill, but like I can't truely judge from just watching videos I have to play you in person.
this style of link is more effecient,
i started spamming more and being more defensive ever since playing forward and getting tips. Now I do better againts everyone i play.

The GERM

Smash Ace
yo Herman,

I haven't watched any of these videos yet, and I haven't read a single post in this topic. I'm only posting here cause I know you'll read it cause you created the topic.

You're one of the few people I've ever met that is a good person but still manages to be a ****ing badass in every aspect. Smash aside, you're awesome. Keep doing what you do.
Much appreciated Mow, and likewise. Hopefully we'll meet again, didn't even play you at FC3 last time around.

Got your PM, I drew this newest banner out and did the color on photoshop, Hella Nick did the last one, he has more of an anime style.

Link226

Smash Ace
Thx alot guys...really appreciate it. I kinda know what i need to work on now....hopefully i get more advice from other people. O and yea Aesir...my edgeguarding needs some serious work...i dunno what it is i think im just too lazy :laugh:

Uck

Smash Journeyman
On note about bomb pulling at high percentages while person is respawning.I dont want you to become a robot and follow this particular rule all th time but it applies to small stages or characters who can close the gap with you fast.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Thats a nice link, u can wavedash wisely and you are good at teching. Just few things, don't use up-b at low percentages 'cos it leaves you open and NEVER use up-b as an aerial attack because it sucks. Nothing else my link is much worse than yours :)

Aquarius

Smash Cadet
playing seriously for about 8 months. but I've been playing the game about 2 years

Giggidax

Smash Ace
hey aquarius, i watched the video and im gonna say that the marth did catch u off guard at some points but u did very well against him. hmm i was say that u need more dair combos. cuz i dont think i even saw u do one! dair is a good ko move so when u think u can land it go for it. instead of doing the spin attack since that becomes predictable after awhile.

keep on playin smash!

Eggm

Smash Hero
skler's full hop neutral air spam vs falco was amazing, he gave me a serious run for my money in our tourny match... wow... keep it up man don't give up on link!

ShoryuSwordsman

Smash Cadet
yupyup, predictability is a mothafukka. your more predictable than i am lol...but your still better than me. in any case, just try to mix things up. change ur place style regularly ta throw ur opponent off. overall, ur pretty gud. like i said, ur better at controlling link than me lol

Top Bottom