• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Link Question and Answer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lantogh

Smash Rookie
a question how i can do bombslide with wiichuck i dont know the way someone knows the answer

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman
Wow guys... I feel so inspired right now. I did bad at a tournament yesterday but for some reason, I feel like I've made a great stride in my game last night.

I lost to an "i-should-have-easily-beat-this-guy" Donkey Kong in the winners bracket. After leaving that match in total frustration and watching a few pros play their matches, I realized I need to wake the f*** up and start playing smart. For the other two matches I played that day, I decided to focus on spacing. Not zairs, not pivot boosting, not throwing bombs perfectly; just spacing.
I'll let Link handle the bomb-throwing and the z-airs. All I have to do is put him in a good spot to use them.

I played a very good Mario main next. Spacing was my main mindset and the rest came naturally. While I spaced his bairs and fireballs, the bombs just seemed to hit; the grabs seemed to grab almost every time. So I left victorious after counterpicking Norfair. Thanks again Deva. ;D

After beating Mario, I fought an excellent Falco. The odds were already against me, but I focused on spacing and managed to make it a 3-game match. The last match was on Battlefield and ended with me suiciding while we each had one stock left. But looking back at it, I played in a way I've never played before. I decided to be an ***hole and camp the platforms. But it wasn't to be cheap, it was to space myself. Simply put, I played smarter. I played better than I've ever played.

I don't know what it is guys, and I'm sorry to just rant about it. But it's because I'm in awe... It's like I woke up and have a better sense of things. So I'm going to get smarter. I'm going to be better. I'm going to show SoCal what Link's made of. :]

Hello?
(That's my question. My post is now in the correct thread.) ;)

jibbyjaont

Smash Journeyman
Is it true that the Link boards have taken over the Zero Suit Samus boards? If you have, then I will start posting here because I am bored.

FEaR.7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FEaR.7
Awesome ArdeS, welcome to tourney play thinking! now you're ready to move your game forward.

What most ppl do (specially with Link because he has a lot of ATs) is focus on doing all these ATs here and there and hoping to win because of them, but its actually the other way around, focus on winning and you'll know when to use these ATs if they're even the best option atm.

Learn your ATs, but dont force them in your playstyle, play to win and when you actually need an AT for what you want to do, then you'll do it, simple. That's why bombsliding is actually dangerous, at first you'll be tempted to use it at any chance you have, dumbing down your game, but in reality you need to do it only if thats what you think is the best option you have for getting to your goal (winning). I actually rely heavily on bombsliding but what I like about it how it helps me control my spacing while attacking (or defending), there are certain situations where you're better off doing something else. This principle applies to all ATs.

When someone thinks their game is reached it's peak its things like these that puts a whole new mountian ahead of you, time to get on top of that one too.

EDIT: I actually like to play flashy (AT's here and there) but my playstyle changes from friendlies to serious matches. Im more cautious when I play in tournies.

sasook

Smash Champion
Is it true that the Link boards have taken over the Zero Suit Samus boards?
Not in the slightest.

Awesome ArdeS, welcome to tourney play thinking! now you're ready to move your game forward.

What most ppl do (specially with Link because he has a lot of ATs) is focus on doing all these ATs here and there and hoping to win because of them, but its actually the other way around, focus on winning and you'll know when to use these ATs if they're even the best option atm.

Learn your ATs, but dont force them in your playstyle, play to win and when you actually need an AT for what you want to do, then you'll do it, simple. That's why bombsliding is actually dangerous, at first you'll be tempted to use it at any chance you have, dumbing down your game, but in reality you need to do it only if thats what you think is the best option you have for getting to your goal (winning). I actually rely heavily on bombsliding but what I like about it how it helps me control my spacing while attacking (or defending), there are certain situations where you're better off doing something else. This principle applies to all ATs.

When someone thinks their game is reached it's peak its things like these that puts a whole new mountian ahead of you, time to get on top of that one too.

EDIT: I actually like to play flashy (AT's here and there) but my playstyle changes from friendlies to serious matches. Im more cautious when I play in tournies.
^what he said, bombsliding part included

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I'm new here.

I decided to make link my secondary. I like his playstyle. Is his learning curve high? I know to play Fox at a high takes a long time, and not create bad habits but back on topic.

I looked at the beginner's guide and I learned a lot. I wondering...(this is a habit I picked up as playing Fox) Should I fastfall a lot of my moves? and I still and having a hard time Bombsliding....any tips?

Thanks in advance. I hope I can be great asset in the future.

sasook

Smash Champion

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Well that I think of it I should just always fast fall the Nair,Fastfall the Fair when opponet is on low percents,fastfall the bair to mixup(I love bair to reverse arrow cancel). Does that sound about right?

Well I love challenges so I am happy about the learning curve and Bombsliding =D.

I still have problems edgeguarding is this a habit I should break? But from playing Fox it's not the best Idea to chase people off the edge unless their recovery is poor. (Sorry Link).

Also, any advice on ledgehopping attacks?

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
Well that I think of it I should just always fast fall the Nair,Fastfall the Fair when opponet is on low percents,fastfall the bair to mixup(I love bair to reverse arrow cancel). Does that sound about right?

Well I love challenges so I am happy about the learning curve and Bombsliding =D.

I still have problems edgeguarding is this a habit I should break? But from playing Fox it's not the best Idea to chase people off the edge unless their recovery is poor. (Sorry Link).

Also, any advice on ledgehopping attacks?
Fastfalling nairs can gimp people with bad recoveries, use zair edgeguarding ( hold back and press Z twice while on the ledge to gain invincibility frames). Gale guarding is effective on characters with bad horizontal recoveries. Dair can also kill anything under four feet trying to make its way back to the stage edgeguard well since its like a giant, slow moving sign saying GTFO!

D

Deleted member

always FF - Nair & Fair
never FF - bair, uair, & dair

link is one of the hardest characters to learn because one mistake can mean death. learn JCT, bomb sliding isn't as useful as JCT bombs

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
always FF - Nair & Fair
never FF - bair, uair, & dair

link is one of the hardest characters to learn because one mistake can mean death. learn JCT, bomb sliding isn't as useful as JCT bombs
JCT? never heard of them....
please explain oh wise and powerful Arkive

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Jump cancel throw. Its the best thing ever to happen to Link. Press jump during a dash attack then cancel it by throwing the bomb in any direction.

The result is that it automatically stops Links motion as the throws the bomb in the direction you want.

This means you can dash and reverse throw bombs with ease.

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
Jump cancel throw. Its the best thing ever to happen to Link. Press jump during a dash attack then cancel it by throwing the bomb in any direction.

The result is that it automatically stops Links motion as the throws the bomb in the direction you want.

This means you can dash and reverse throw bombs with ease.
That....sounds difficult..any vids?

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Ok JCT got it sounds easy to me. Well shouldn't not FF the Fair when some one is at high percents so the second hit of the Fair hits so you can get the KO hit.

P.S. try the guide of ATs twilight that is the best place I can think of.

sasook

Smash Champion
We had one by Bouse.....which is......somewhere.......

Then Ter made one.....that he said he'd update every week......but never did......

So yeah, we kinda need one, but we've failed every time we try to make one.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
No, we need a PS1 memory card. And someone helpful enough to make the match-up thread...
Sasook, Nintenjoe... *sigh*

Me: "I'll do a match-up thread!"
You and everyone else: "Heck no, we don't need no match-up thread! Nintenjoe has got it!"

...... *sigh*

:laugh:

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Sasook, Nintenjoe... *sigh*

Me: "I'll do a match-up thread!"
You and everyone else: "Heck no, we don't need no match-up thread! Nintenjoe has got it!"

...... *sigh*

:laugh:
i would've done it but if you want to so badly go ahead. you'd probly do better than me.....maybe.

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
Matchups:

Link vs everyone:
95-5 Link's favor.

End.

I actually kind of want to see a thread like that, just to see how all the other boards will respond to it. Lol.

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Matchups:

Link vs everyone:
95-5 Link's favor.

End.

I actually kind of want to see a thread like that, just to see how all the other boards will respond to it. Lol.
now if someone needs help they can refer to this post. good job Wafflez ;)

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I'm just joking myself at this point about doing a Character Match-up thing. I kinda suck at character comparisons.

I hereby dub WaffleZ post the Official Link Boards Character Match-up List.

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
I had an idea about making a matchup thread a while ago but instead of putting it in text make a video of it which would be more helpful with audio and visuals to explain things. I'm too busy so there's no chance I could have done it.

I wanted it to be like...we send a bunch of Links to certain characters boards , like the Donkey Kong boards, and ask them if they would play some of our top Links with their top DKs...and while we play them for an hour or so we note some of the techniques they like to do, join up in our xat chat or something and put it in the video of things to "watch out for when fighting ____".

If we were doing a matchup of Link we would say and demonstrate on video...."those pesky Links...when they take a stock out they will usually pull out a bomb...when they do they jump over you toss it down then hit you with a fast falling nair into a jab cancel...". It exists....we all do it like crazy. What are some of the things other characters do a bunch? "Watch out for when Snake pulls out grenades WHILE you're approaching because he loves to drop them and roll away as you're approaching so you blow up the grenade with your attack and take damage"

The old tip of "space with jabs and zair and this fight is a breeze" is getting a bit old cus I hear that for every matchup I ever ask for. I like tangibility and things you can see and look out for better than "space him with f-smash" tips (those should be a given).

I wouldn't mind doing this if I had someone to film it with and had a bunch of Links see first hand with a bunch of potential matchup from other boards about how they play so you can predict and manage them better.

galekill

Banned via Administration
I had an idea about making a matchup thread a while ago but instead of putting it in text make a video of it which would be more helpful with audio and visuals to explain things. I'm too busy so there's no chance I could have done it.

I wanted it to be like...we send a bunch of Links to certain characters boards , like the Donkey Kong boards, and ask them if they would play some of our top Links with their top DKs...and while we play them for an hour or so we note some of the techniques they like to do, join up in our xat chat or something and put it in the video of things to "watch out for when fighting ____".

If we were doing a matchup of Link we would say and demonstrate on video...."those pesky Links...when they take a stock out they will usually pull out a bomb...when they do they jump over you toss it down then hit you with a fast falling nair into a jab cancel...". It exists....we all do it like crazy. What are some of the things other characters do a bunch? "Watch out for when Snake pulls out grenades WHILE you're approaching because he loves to drop them and roll away as you're approaching so you blow up the grenade with your attack and take damage"

The old tip of "space with jabs and zair and this fight is a breeze" is getting a bit old cus I hear that for every matchup I ever ask for. I like tangibility and things you can see and look out for better than "space him with f-smash" tips (those should be a given).

I wouldn't mind doing this if I had someone to film it with and had a bunch of Links see first hand with a bunch of potential matchup from other boards about how they play so you can predict and manage them better.
Nice idea. And maybe when our top links start ****** other top players they will understand how not bad link is.

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman
That's actually a really cool idea Oddler. I've always enjoyed watching video tutorials and guides rather than reading them. I personally learn a lot more from watching videos.

I'd love to help with this project if you ever decide to start it. I don't really have an effective way to record/upload videos though. Just know you have my full support and I'll help however I can. :]

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Nice idea. And maybe when our top links start ****** other top players they will understand how not bad link is.
No, Link will forever be a terrible character =) lol Anyways, good job ArdeS. Makes me think how I should tweak my game. I think I should start focusing on spacing more and combos less.

sasook

Smash Champion
I approve of Oddler's idea, at least how it looks on paper.

Our top Links already do....

Deva - DSF
Arkive - Fino, and almost every other player in the midwest
Legan - Overswarm
Izaw - every kid who has a wii in Europe

But yeah, blu link's right, it doesn't mean Link's not a bad a character. He is, and always will be, because brawl is "balanced."

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
I approve of Oddler's idea, at least how it looks on paper.

Our top Links already do....

Deva - DSF
Arkive - Fino, and almost every other player in the midwest
Legan - Overswarm
Izaw - every kid who has a wii in Europe

But yeah, blu link's right, it doesn't mean Link's not a bad a character. He is, and always will be, because brawl is "balanced."
BUT HE HAZ DA BOMBZ @ND THE PWNAGE SPIN ATTAKZ LULZ
<exits n00b mode>
yeah link will always be a bad character. Next smash, he'll still be bad but we love him cuz he's just so epic

D

Deleted member

i need to get matches of me playing domo cuz he's proven that he's the best MK in the midwest, yeahuzz son

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom