• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Link Question and Answer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
lol. Yea I found that on Smash Wiki. This is why Wiki is broken. Don't cite Wiki in your essay's kids. Your teacher will throw a fit.

I told a few buddies and they took screen shots but I had no idea it would make it to SWF. But, you have to admit it's kind of funny.

I have no comment other than "Wow, how did this happen?"

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
Yaknow, I really wonder why ppl call Link's projectile game "spam". Link mains (especially good ones) do anything BUT spam, because of how easy it is to be punished if one is caught actually spamming a single projectile or technique, and how crucial it is for Link to stay on the stage. What most do is use whichever projectile fits the situation. For example, most Link mains pull out bombs when they're plenty far away from their opponent, chunk a 'rang at mid-hi distances or where they know their opponent won't be able to retalliate in time, shoot arrows at people attempting to recover, and use their meaty zair for big ppl, or if someone is short-hop happy. Now lemme count...that's 4 friggin projectiles (counting the zair). How you can spam 3 of your B moves, zair, and mix in a plethora of A moves as well as a CRAPload of AT's!? xD If one was to chunk a 'rang for most or all of these situations, however, then yes, he would be spamming.

MK users tend to upb, sideb, tornado, and dsmash a lot. Does that make MK a spammy character? Also, many say that Link just runs from some characters the whole time. Don't MK's just rush some characters THE WHOLE TIME!?!?!?

Yeah, Link is a defensive guy. And yeah, most Link mains wind up running away from some of their opponents for a lot of the match. But if I see ONE more person call Link a spammy character...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WGmeX6CLas

That is all. Good day.

:chuckle:

D

Deleted member

link is a spammy character, if you don't spam you lose. take it from the guy that created link's aggressive game.

galekill

Banned via Administration
Yaknow, I really wonder why ppl call Link's projectile game "spam". Link mains (especially good ones) do anything BUT spam, because of how easy it is to be punished if one is caught actually spamming a single projectile or technique, and how crucial it is for Link to stay on the stage. What most do is use whichever projectile fits the situation. For example, most Link mains pull out bombs when they're plenty far away from their opponent, chunk a 'rang at mid-hi distances or where they know their opponent won't be able to retalliate in time, shoot arrows at people attempting to recover, and use their meaty zair for big ppl, or if someone is short-hop happy. Now lemme count...that's 4 friggin projectiles (counting the zair). How you can spam 3 of your B moves, zair, and mix in a plethora of A moves as well as a CRAPload of AT's!? xD If one was to chunk a 'rang for most or all of these situations, however, then yes, he would be spamming.

MK users tend to upb, sideb, tornado, and dsmash a lot. Does that make MK a spammy character? Also, many say that Link just runs from some characters the whole time. Don't MK's just rush some characters THE WHOLE TIME!?!?!?

Yeah, Link is a defensive guy. And yeah, most Link mains wind up running away from some of their opponents for a lot of the match. But if I see ONE more person call Link a spammy character...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WGmeX6CLas

That is all. Good day.

:chuckle:
actually the word spam means shooting projectiles in some occasions, so it just is how you use the word. and yes MK spams certain moves but he surely has no spam. so its just a word. nothing to care about really.

EDIT: also I dont click link I dont know what they contain in case it is a rickroll

Bandit_Kieth

Smash Apprentice
guys, would it be smart for anyone to make a single thread for new link videos

like a video critique thread? im kinda getting tired of all the new threads getting made with videos being made asking for advice and whatnot, why not just have one to have the cast in the single thread?

i'll make it if needed

sasook

Smash Champion
That was brought up earlier, I think it was rejected since a whole bunch of videos would get overlooked, and critiques would be more generalized towards a player rather than "you need to specifically against Wolf on ______" and so on.

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
I'm making a new "Important Thread list" thread since Havokk has abandoned his own sticky yelling at me in PM when I ask him if he could update his list and that he refuses to update or come to the boards.

So heads up...never made one before but it'll be out by the end of the day.

sasook

Smash Champion
Havokk needs to learn to lighten up, for real. Like, I always liked the guy and his plentiful amount of information he holds, but seriously, he gets offended at just about anything. He'll probably get offended if he reads this post <_<.

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
I'm making a new "Important Thread list" thread since Havokk has abandoned his own sticky yelling at me in PM when I ask him if he could update his list and that he refuses to update or come to the boards.

So heads up...never made one before but it'll be out by the end of the day.
Sounds good. Can you copy & paste havokks thread? I like the current set-up.

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
Sounds good. Can you copy & paste havokks thread? I like the current set-up.
I'm making it hopefully a little bit better and with more threads he neglected and a basic description of what to expect inside the actual thread. If everyone likes his version better I'll switch no problem after looking at mine.

I'm about half way done with this thing in the new version... so let's see if you all like the new version I'm working on ... if not I'll just copy and paste his style. Sound good?

Kennahh

Smash Apprentice
Confirmed, sending Magikarp. (Killingworth, CT)
Hey guys. I was wondering what causes the "Pulling"effect when you HIT someone with a boomerang. Not like, they get in it as it returns, but when you hit them, and they move toward you. Is this DI, or is there a specific situation where this happens?
Thanks.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
Hey guys. I was wondering what causes the "Pulling"effect when you HIT someone with a boomerang. Not like, they get in it as it returns, but when you hit them, and they move toward you. Is this DI, or is there a specific situation where this happens?
Thanks.
as the boomerang returns it drags people along with it (unless they're sheilding? O_o). if you jump/the boomerang goes into the air on its return and catches someone in it they get semi-launched into the air (thing involuntary jump).

Kennahh

Smash Apprentice
Confirmed, sending Magikarp. (Killingworth, CT)
as the boomerang returns it drags people along with it (unless they're sheilding? O_o). if you jump/the boomerang goes into the air on its return and catches someone in it they get semi-launched into the air (thing involuntary jump).
I'm not talking about when the boomerang is returning. I'm talking about when you hit the guy with the boomerang, and the guy goes toward you, in the perfect spot for a F-smash.

sasook

Smash Champion
There's a very specific point that requires like perfect spacing and/or (mostly) luck. It hits the person, and brings them back too. Crazy hard to do, I've only done it by accident.

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
I think I remember Havokk saying something like if you hit their feet it registers as if you hit them from behind even if you hit them from the front since the hitbox that low is weird or something...

Closest answer I can give you. I haven't verified it but that's the only theory I've heard about it.

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
I think you can find some insight on this in the projectile thread by swordplay. Not sure if it's in the OP, but I know that it was talked about in there.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
You have to hit their backside hurtbox.

eg, falco as he's landing from a FF, hit the top of his head.
I just want to say that this proves Falco is a birdbrain. His head is part of his backside after all.

Also: How do you deal with spammers like Ivysaur's Razor Leaf spam or Samus missile and charge shot spam? I can't seem to counter it with arrows or bombs. I can't seem to approach by jumping because I get punished, but neither can I out-spam them. Any tips on how to deal with this?

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman
Well Razor Leaf can be cut through by Link's zair. Not sure about Samus' missiles though. You can always just block her charged shot with your Hylian Shield, but that's tough to get used to. Learning to constantly arrow cancel, bombslide, and avoid the boomerang-catch-lag will help your spam game a lot. In the end it just comes down to you using your character shield efficiently, spamming better than your opponent, and spacing.

Samus is just a betch to fight against though. She spams a lot better than Link. :mad:

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Use the boomerang. against Ivy

They come out at approximatly the same speed and cover approximatly the same distance. They also cancel eachother out.

However, Links Rang is faster so it eventually closes the gap.

Against SpAMUS Just bomb spam, it outpriortizes homing and cancels super missles + charge shot. It also goes through zair.

samus is floaty so if you have matchup experience, it becomes easy to anticipate a zair. Shield regroup via spam or approach.

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
I'm not saying they're not important, because they all are. I'm just asking if there are any that would be better suited in the "Important Threads" thread instead of the stickies area?

the only characters Link players hate more than D3 are MK, Failco and Toon Link.

That makes for a bad team because he'll start team attackng D=

In seriousness though, they'd probably make a good team if he was good at controlling his projectiles.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
How do you guys think a Dededee and a Link would do in teams together?
Sounds like a decent strategy. D3 can chaingrab across the stage while Link holds the other opponent at bay.
When me and a friend did that though it didn't work out well. It's too hard landing a chaingrab if the opponent team is a set of spammers, or like to stick together.

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
D3 could also hold an opponent long enough for link to land one of his more slower but stronger moves like a charged spin attack

spacing wolf is wierd, you almost have to hope he moves into your moves sometimes, but he's easy to combo as Link once you get the first hit in, and I'm actually going to advise a little aggression here. Also, platforms = good, he can't abuse Fsmash's range if you're in the air when he's on a platform, so zair works better there. bobm at the feet > his deflector. (also, it goes through his laser spam.) Juggle him.

Bandit_Kieth

Smash Apprentice
LOL Sasook.

one of my biggest problems with link, is while im battling.. i usually just forget i have projectiles and proceed to rush in, swing away..

i really need to implement projectiles into my gameplay style. any suggestions of how i can do it effectively?

-Mars-

Smash Hero
How do you beat a campy Wolf?
Bombs and zair, try to stay right outside of his fsmash range as much as possible. He can't just space bairs like Wolfs usually do on other characters because of Links zair.

You have to DI his dsmash really well or your going to end up dying very early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom