• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Link Question and Answer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
I like oddlers idea. I think we should pursue it. It could be interesting and I would contribute some time and effort to it.

The only question I would have is do we create a separate vid for each character or do it as a whole?

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
does anyone here know how to mix it up with link, i found that my playstyle is repetetive and i want to stay unpredictable....any tips?

sasook

Smash Champion
Lrn2aggressive. lol, no offense Twilight, but you have the campiest Link I've ever seen. It makes blu link's spam game look like child's play.

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
Lrn2aggressive. lol, no offense Twilight, but you have the campiest Link I've ever seen. It makes blu link's spam game look like child's play.
i know...and the worst part is that im good at it XD i can outspam every link i play, its pretty sad

sasook

Smash Champion
xD, I woulda said Swordplay also, but I've never played him 1on1. Sorry blu

EDIT: Is there a reason why my full sig doesn't show on my screen? It gets cut off, yet I've seen some people with HUGE sigs. What's the deal?

galekill

Banned via Administration

EDIT: Is there a reason why my full sig doesn't show on my screen? It gets cut off, yet I've seen some people with HUGE sigs. What's the deal?
yea its probably cause of you sigging quotes too, you see you only have a limited space for sigging it doesnt matter what you fill that space with its still the same space(pixelwise).

Swordplay

Smash Lord

We are going to have to change that. I faced blu recently and he can testify to my spammage. Out of all the Links Ive played via Wifi (which accounts for nothing) he and ShinTwist have come the closest to da full potential of da Link spam.

Your next Sasook!! O_O Check King of Wifi challenge board.

And because you recieved such a high recommendation Twilight Link, check the King of Wifi challenge board as well

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
ok, i'm having trouble with my finger placement for bomb smashes. i can DO them, but i have to rearange my fingers to set it up.... i want to know what your contoler/finger setup is for playing link and if i should be doing something differently.

sasook

Smash Champion
Well, I usually don't do bombsmashes straight out of taking them out (lol grammar fail).

What I do is take them out normally, then during an airdodge, or a roll, or the boomerang throwing animation, hold A with your thumb. Then use your the left thumb for the C-stick. This is assuming you use a gc controller.

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
ok, i'm having trouble with my finger placement for bomb smashes. i can DO them, but i have to rearange my fingers to set it up.... i want to know what your contoler/finger setup is for playing link and if i should be doing something differently.
Set Attack to "R". That will solve your problem.

D

Deleted member

yea i set R to attack for bomb smashing.....but i don't use the R trigger unless i'm turnip smashing with peach lol....

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
Well, I usually don't do bombsmashes straight out of taking them out (lol grammar fail).

What I do is take them out normally, then during an airdodge, or a roll, or the boomerang throwing animation, hold A with your thumb. Then use your the left thumb for the C-stick. This is assuming you use a gc controller.
Omg i do the same :D i always bombsmash out of a roll (btw i have started to work on my close range since last night and it is fun XD)

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman
The R on my controller is broken, but I NEVER, EVER use it so it doesn't bother me.

Swordplay's spam bugged the hell out of me two nights ago on Wifi. lol ;D

earla

Smash Lord
1) QDA. I read to quick dash attack you press down on the C stick after dashing. instead of A.
I tried it but it looks exactly the same speed as dashing n pressing the A button.

2) DI. momentum cancel. : with momentum canceling i understand u do quickest aerial(back air) and you tilt the movement stick diagonal up towards the stage and fast fall.. I do a backair with the C stick. after the back air do i tilt the C stick towards the stage or leave it in the backair position.

b) DI combo, multiple hit DI. I dont' really understand those. is it just mashing the movement stick and the C stick in directions to escape quicker. What do each sticks do in this situation. Sorry im not clear i just want to understand them abit better.

3) links best stages?

4) which characters are links best matchups and worst. (just a couples fine)

5. Can link go under the rock on the 'pirate ship' stage like toon link can. if so how do you do it.

Cheers

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman
1) QDA. I read to quick dash attack you press down on the C stick after dashing. instead of A.
I tried it but it looks exactly the same speed as dashing n pressing the A button.
If you're not noticing a big difference, you just might not be doing the technique fast enough. If you were to run then attempt your dash attack right away, it would result in a forward-smash because of the quick Control Stick and A-button input. Substituting C-Down instead of the A-Button will allow you immediately dash attack without having to get a running start.

2) DI. momentum cancel. : with momentum canceling i understand u do quickest aerial(back air) and you tilt the movement stick diagonal up towards the stage and fast fall.. I do a backair with the C stick. after the back air do i tilt the C stick towards the stage or leave it in the backair position.
Once you've done the back-air, you don't have to do too much more with the C-stick. You should obviously be using your control stick to begin moving yourself back towards the stage though.

b) DI combo, multiple hit DI. I dont' really understand those. is it just mashing the movement stick and the C stick in directions to escape quicker. What do each sticks do in this situation. Sorry im not clear i just want to understand them abit better.
The best way to explain is through example. Say Link is caught in Kirby's AAA attack (the fast punches). The best way to escape is to DI away from Kirby, or continuously mash the control stick away from him. The C-stick has a similar effect called smash DI, where you would also mash away from Kirby to escape faster. During multi-hit moves, you can use both sticks to influence the direction each time your character is hit.

3) links best stages?
Personally, I prefer Battlefield, Smashville, and Norfair. Stages with platforms usually benefit Link because he's safer from chaingrabs and has an easier time spacing. But really, you'll have to find which ones you like for yourself.

4) which characters are links best matchups and worst. (just a couples fine)
To be honest, Link has no easy matchups. If you can't accept that, Link isn't for you. ;)
Fat characters like Donkey Kong and Bowser are always fun because they're easy to hit with your z-air and projectiles. Small characters, characters with chaingrabs, and of course the top tiers like Metaknight and ROB are pretty tough to deal with. My personal best? DK. My worst? ROB.

5. Can link go under the rock on the 'pirate ship' stage like toon link can. if so how do you do it.
I can't answer your question. I stopped reading at "gay."

And welcome to Smashboards! :laugh::laugh:

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
@earla--

A few more things...
1. I think you're a bit confused. QDA does not mean you the dash attack move itself moves faster, it means you can do the dash attack earlier in the dash. Try doing this: Dash and press A immediately (results in no dash attack), then dash and press down on the c-stick immediately (results in dash attack).
3. Rainbow Cruise is also good.

earla

Smash Lord
cheers, all makes sense.

if anyone does know the answer to q. 5
(5. Can link go under the rock on the 'pirate ship' stage like toon link can. if so how do you do it.)
feel free to let me know.

I know it sounds like a ****in stupid lame question, but i know you can attack up from under the rock. Just bein pedantic bout my game, the little things even situational that i'd prefer to have fun using against an opponent then have used against me.

if anyone knows how, hola.

thx again for the help

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
QDA is just a dash attacke but from a standstill (which is impossible to do via the noraml input of a dash attack)

sasook

Smash Champion
Fat characters like Donkey Kong and Bowser are always fun because they're easy to hit with your z-air and projectiles. Small characters, characters with chaingrabs, and of course the top tiers like Metaknight and ROB are pretty tough to deal with. My personal best? DK. My worst? ROB.:
I take it you've never played a really good DK? Seriously, this is a misconception. A DK that uses his invincibility frames from the upb to eat through your.....everything....and cancel out your bombs with his utilt, is much harder than "lemme just zair him the whole match."

But the worst matchups by far are Falco, MK, D3, and ROB.

earla

Smash Lord
I take it you've never played a really good DK? Seriously, this is a misconception. A DK that uses his invincibility frames from the upb to eat through your.....everything....and cancel out your bombs with his utilt, is much harder than "lemme just zair him the whole match."

Falco and d3 the chain grabs i see. Why MK and ROB?
by the way sasook, ive watched few vids of ya, good on ya mate you play pretty good!

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
if anyone does know the answer to q. 5
No, Link's dair properties are different than gay's so he cannot go under the rock.

Yup, DK is not an easy matchup. He lives long and he's crazy strong. He makes a few mistakes and it doesn't mean much cuz he lives forever, but you make a mistake and *WAM* you're losing. If you ever play a good DK it'll annoy you.

Falco and d3 the chain grabs i see. Why MK and ROB?
by the way sasook, ive watched few vids of ya, good on ya mate you play pretty good!
MK & ROB are bad matchups because they play way off the stage meaning gimp city. On the stage they're still a problem. MK cuz of his speed, and ROB because of his reach/priority (and spotdodge >:@).

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman

I've fought some very good DKs before. They're no pushovers, and I never think that I can just spam zair and win. I just feel I do very well against the skilled DKs I've faced; with all Up-Bs, Bairs, and throw gimps considered. ;]
But yeah, using DK as an example of someone you can spam zair against was bad advice on my part.

earla

Smash Lord
couple more..

1) of late for some reason im tripping multiple times during games. whats the deal with that?

2) how to DI if you're hit off the stage and u've got a bomb in hand? meaning if i backair i'd throw the bomb which obviuosly is a bad idea.

cheers, good lil community u guys got here. good on yas

galekill

couple more..

1) of late for some reason im tripping multiple times during games. whats the deal with that?

2) how to DI if you're hit off the stage and u've got a bomb in hand? meaning if i backair i'd throw the bomb which obviuosly is a bad idea.

cheers, good lil community u guys got here. good on yas
1. tripping is just random, though there is some guys that believes that the chance of tripping is hightened if you dont move the control stick straight to the side.

2. back throw bomb, and then bair as in c-stick away from stage > cstick towards stage(quick). if arkive has an other suggestion listen to him, he is the king of DI XD.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
King of DI? huh? Lol I was playing Marsulas and lived to like 170% with link...(this really relate to Link)and 220% with Marth. I finally got the hang DI I guess.

galekill

King of DI? huh? Lol I was playing Marsulas and lived to like 170% with link...(this really relate to Link)and 220% with Marth. I finally got the hang DI I guess.
pfu, thats nothing if you compare to arkive, also no video proof means it never happened.

just kidding, its good and everything but its not that you beat arkives DI with it, arkive seem to not know how to get knockback from any move before 150%. He is considerd the link with best DI. watch some vids if you havent already and you will see his DI expertis.

how did you die with link. side blast zone or bottom blast zone, cause if you just was to far way from the stage to recover you still need some more DI skillz(DI more up, but you probably knew that), link can recover from EVERY move in the game if you DI correct(gimping not included XD).

D

Deleted member

ZAC the bomb by throwing it the direction you're going and then by bairing

so if you get hit to the rigiht you cstick right (which should momentum cancel for you) and catch the bomb with the bair (C- left)

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
how much moire effective is bair than dair when tying to stop mementum? I always find myself using dair when im sent upwards so id just like to know. Bair is obviously the fastest aireal for link but i instictively dair XD

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
how much moire effective is bair than dair when tying to stop mementum? I always find myself using dair when im sent upwards so id just like to know. Bair is obviously the fastest aireal for link but i instictively dair XD
Omg, another DI / momentum cancel question.

*Searches for Arkive*

galekill

I think its more like its easier to make it good with dair since you need do make the attack FF in quick succesion(thats the word im looking for right). this means that if you can bair > fastfall quick enough its the better choice otherwise spam c-stick down helps, dair is pretty quick out anyway.

D

Deleted member

bair is better, it ends quicker meaning you can control link quicker. the bair also comes out faster meaning you'll momentum cancel sooner

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Question: Is TL anything like Link?

If he is, how can I unlock him?

Swordplay was on SmashWiki and found your answer when someone "vandalized" the TL page:

Hurray for screenshots that can capture the madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom