• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Geist

Smash Master
Doesn't it have something to do with the initial dash animation, and nothing to do with traction?
Which is why Link and Zelda can do it easily.

Does anyone actually know specifically why moonwalking works at all?

TheGoat

Smash Ace
Hey, I was wondering if there are any statistics, like on how many people play melee, or even brawl.
Such as, how many active falco mains are there, either melee or brawl. Or how many active players in total? I'm just trying to get a grasp on some info for ssbm, thanks.

Pi

Smash Hero
Hey, I was wondering if there are any statistics, like on how many people play melee, or even brawl.
Such as, how many active falco mains are there, either melee or brawl. Or how many active players in total? I'm just trying to get a grasp on some info for ssbm, thanks.
we'd have to determine what is 'active' first

TheGoat

Smash Ace
we'd have to determine what is 'active' first
You are correct. I was thinking, maybe at least a few hours a week of play with other people. Even so, is there any way to know?

Also, does anybody know how many people total there have been at big smash events such as genesis and apex?

mers

Smash Ace
I always assumed that it was because moving the control stick gives your character momentum, but the turnaround that is characteristic of dashdancing is only triggered by moving the stick through the middle. So the momentum is added without the turnaround.

But that doesn't really explain anything.

Syterion

Smash Cadet
I have no problem l-cancelling fastfalled aerials, but when I don't FF them (like with a low uair from falcon) I can't get the timing down. Also sometimes I miss the fastfall and then mess up the l-cancel (like when I do a rising dair with Marth). I just can't get the timing down with non ff-ed aerials. Is there a timing difference I should know about, or do I just need more practice? Any advice is appreciated.

Pi

Smash Hero
I have no problem l-cancelling fastfalled aerials, but when I don't FF them (like with a low uair from falcon) I can't get the timing down. Also sometimes I miss the fastfall and then mess up the l-cancel (like when I do a rising dair with Marth). I just can't get the timing down with non ff-ed aerials. Is there a timing difference I should know about, or do I just need more practice? Any advice is appreciated.
there are really only two things that can be said to help you out...

1) You can spam L cancels (you can L cancel with L, R, or Z), so if you wanted you could just mash all those in succession (but that comes with it's own consequences)

2) Practice...it'll come with practice...everything does

set up an inanimate player 2 and practice on it, or practice on computer, or in training mode, whatever, hell you can practice in the HRC if you want.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
I can't seem to fast fall and l-cancel a short hopped aerial when hitting an opponent/a shield- should I be fast falling later/earlier, or l-canceling earlier/later?

I honestly cannot get the timing down.

I can do it perfectly with full hopped aerials though...

Geist

Smash Master
Shield hitlag will delay your timing a bit.
Go into versus, turn stars up to very high (because the hitlag is the same) and practice getting the timing down.

Pi

Smash Hero
Shield hitlag will delay your timing a bit.
Go into versus, turn stars up to very high (because the hitlag is the same) and practice getting the timing down.
I tested this with foxes nair, it had the same hitlag on a shield and on a person.

Not sure if this carries through with all moves, but I personally have never experienced a difference between hitting a shield and hitting a person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbKJ5Ho596g&feature=watch_response

how dis happen

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
How many angles can a character wavedash at? Assuming frame correct airdodge. Is it the same for all characters?

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
How many angles can a character wavedash at? Assuming frame correct airdodge. Is it the same for all characters?
I think you can actually air dodge in just about every little minuscule direction.(I know you can sdi in over like 9k directions)

so I think its just under half of hella for WD.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Whenever i WD i feel like there are only 3 angles i can do it in. perfect length, no distance and somewhere in between. Its fine for the most part when i play marth or fox, but i was playing a little ICs today and it was hard to keep my spacing tight; i always seemed to be stuck moving a little too far and getting hit by stupid **** cause my spacing got messed up.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Ive been working on spacing movements with m2 as well. ummm try doing things like WD and immediately dash and shield. it will stop all your momentum immediately even out of a wavedash.

mix that around with diff length WDs and and WD in place and it may help.

SuperMatt

Smash Champion
yeah you can essentially WD an infinite amount of lengths but realistically humans can only get 4 or 5

straight down
slightly over
diagonally over
diagonally over plus slightly more

you get the idea

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
A quick question:

How is JC up smash done?
The easiest and quickest way is to simply push both sticks up at the same time while running. This ensures that the up smash isn't accidentally charged. If you end up jumping and doing an upair, this means you're pushing up on the c-stick too late.

The other way is to push up on the control stick and A. You want to hit A right after you push up, so that the up-smash input cancels out the jump. This allows for you to charge the up smash.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
To JC you must jump and then do your action during the starting few frames of your jump. There are a few methods, I usually do control stick and A or control stick and cstick, but jman and m2k claw to use the y button and cstick so they have full control of their character's movement.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Both at once? That wouldn't work. I hit the analog slight before the c stick. So that the jump is literally canceled by my up smash.

Y'know, jump canceled. :3
It's the easiest way to learn how to do it. It's much more simple to explain than "push up on the yellow stick right after the control stick," since "right after" or "slightly before" are kinda vague descriptions of timing.

You get the JC upsmash most of the time using this method, and it's pretty close to the timing for Fox since his jump comes out fast. You get more leeway with characters with delayed jumps like Bowser/Ganon.

Pi

Smash Hero
for OoS I use analog & cstick
for out of shine i use analog & A, since that's more natural for me than releasing B and going down to c stick then bringing it up

Zumma

Smash Cadet
Ok after practicing it a bit I can do both OoS and out of shine semi-consistently. I prefer doing both with the c-stick.

Any use for Falco's Shine -> usmash? I don't see any reason to use it over an aerial and comboing from there.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
No use for shine usmashes really. fox can combo with it in specific situations but it has no real benefits.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i meant opposed to waveshine usmash, though i guess it could be safe on shield because of how godly usmash is....

Top Bottom