• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Pi

Smash Hero
You can dash attack on frame 1; you just have to let go of the stick before pressing A. I think you can also just input it like a tilt if you are dash dancing.
not out of the first dash you do
if you let go of the stick and press a before the 4 frame window has passed nothing will happen

and btw there is only a 1 frame window in a dash dance to pivot something
though if you only tap the direction for 1 frame, you will only turn, and then stand which would make it easy to pivot something

but if you are just dash dancing, there is only a 1 frame window to pivot

Kanelol

Smash Lord
I have this problem where I can pivot left to right 98% of the time, but I still can't do it at all from right to left.

:[

MTKO

Smash Journeyman
I have this problem where I can pivot left to right 98% of the time, but I still can't do it at all from right to left.

:[
I can't empty pivot and end up facing left at all. I'll dash right then flick left, but just end up dashing again. Once my fingers are warmed up I can do it a lot in the opposite direction, but I need to train myself to go right to left still.

L__

Smash Master
I can moonwalk both ways, but my moonwalks to the left go further and I can do more tricks with them.

MTKO

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know of any theory related material or in depth game study stuff that can be related to smash that they could link me to or recommend? I've read Playing to Win a while back and I'm reading it again. I've also searched through a lot of the theory posts in the "Everything Thread" and I've been working on parts that jump out at me in chunks. Are there any books out there like Playing to Win?

john!

Smash Hero
Does anyone know of any theory related material or in depth game study stuff that can be related to smash that they could link me to or recommend? I've read Playing to Win a while back and I'm reading it again. I've also searched through a lot of the theory posts in the "Everything Thread" and I've been working on parts that jump out at me in chunks. Are there any books out there like Playing to Win?
a purdue smasher wrote this a few months ago: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=295524

Pi

Smash Hero
i keep pivot ftilt when i'm trying to pivot fsmash...

i don't understand how it's working? is it the position of the joystick?

Pi

Smash Hero
was trying that but felt weird to pivot fsmash w/ cstick and i wasn't able to do it even as consistently as i was w/ the joystick + a
though i can pivot dsmash pretty conistently

seems to have been a fluke though, since now i'm back to being able to pivot fsmash and not ftilt

KoleDS

Smash Rookie
Does anybody know of any tutorial on how to create TAS videos with dolphin (I'm trying to do all that cool tech stuff in melee). I've scoured the internet for countless hours trying to find resources pertaining to this but to no avail. I have the latest build of dolphin (which has all the TAS tools built-in but I just don't have a clue on how to use them).

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Hmm SuperDoodleMan had done a TAS tutorial thread but it was meant to be used with a gamecube and a video editor. Have you read this guide?

I have some dolphin frame-by-frame experience, but how I make gifs would probably be impractical for a full TAS project. I'll look into those specific TAS tools you mentioned.

KoleDS

Smash Rookie
Hmm SuperDoodleMan had done a TAS tutorial thread but it was meant to be used with a gamecube and a video editor. Have you read this guide?

I have some dolphin frame-by-frame experience, but how I make gifs would probably be impractical for a full TAS project. I'll look into those specific TAS tools you mentioned.
No, I haven't read his guide, but I will check it out. Thank you for a possible lead haha, I'm sure his method could be replicated on an emulator though, right?

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
can anyone tell me why sometimes you can hear spacies' shine before it comes out? it's happened many times where i shine something like another spacie side B, and I can hear the shine, but the side B still hits through. If a shine comes out on frame one, does the sound of the shine come out on frame 0?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Frame 0 is the frame before the game recognizes your input lol

What you are describing is actually shining too early and your invincibility/hitbox wiffs and then you get hit by the sideb.

KoleDS

Smash Rookie
What tools were you talking about specifically?

Well I know how to use the frame advance and whatnot, I just have no clue on how to make sure I do the inputs on each frame, say I wanted to waveshine, I can do the shine, but I can't make sure I can wavedash right afterwards. Like how do I make sure the inputs go through is what I'm trying to figure out.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I dont use the frame advance built into the emulator. I use debug menu and the tools it has (frame advance and animation information mostly). Check out this gamefaqs document for more information on the debug menu.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
hmm...so if one were to get hit on frame 2, then you would hear it, the hitbox would come out, and then you'd get ****ed up.

i swear i don't even end up seeing it though. but i guess i just don't end up seeing the one (+) frame(s) that the shine is out before getting torn up out the picture. it makes sense, but sometimes it seems like i hear it, and just get hit.

wait, i know the shine comes out in one frame, but is the hitbox only active for that frame? is there any duration to it at all?

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
hmm yeah i guess it has to be. or else it wouldn't be jump cancelable the way it is.

is there some sort of shine FAQ? cause like...i feel like if you don't jump out by a certain time, you're stuck in it for a while. and then after that, you can jump out whenever you want. also, i wanna know how effective shinestalling for barrels is, and how long you hover after releasing an aerial shine normally.

lol ganon main having a thousand shine questions for his fox secondary...

Melaf

Smash Journeyman
hey I was wondering for a bit now that Ive seen some video from people playing in stages in versus alone with no computers for technical pratice and I was wondering how you do that some people told me it was the same glitch as the one with masterhand but still I dont know

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Its called the "name entry glitch" do a search for that and you'll find lots of information. I know i've done like 5 write ups of it in this thread and it has its own thread too.

KoleDS

Smash Rookie
I dont use the frame advance built into the emulator. I use debug menu and the tools it has (frame advance and animation information mostly). Check out this gamefaqs document for more information on the debug menu.
I've tried using that before, and I know how to get it to display the animation information at the top, and I know how to use the frame advance but I have no idea how to get my inputs recognized per frame. Say in the previous example, I'm trying to waveshine, I can do the debug pause, do the shine, and then frame advance and attempt to wavedash immediately afterwards, but it just doesn't work. The only way I can get anything to work is if I mash the buttons frantically as I'm hitting Z (the button to advance by 1 frame) and it's still very sloppy. I want to know how to do it flawlessly like in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1NfjkxsOhc

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
sounds like u just don't know how the game works.

pause the game...input shine, input jump when the shine comes out...hold direction and R on knee bend 3 and advance to the next frame.

prefect wave shine right there.

things to know...inputting any input on two consecutive frames is considered holding a button, not pressing it really fast. if u don't know when u can input certain actions it does u no good. u can get around knowing by alternating buttons such as inputting x, then y, then x to input jump on 3 consecutive frames. u can do the same with shield aka r/l for wd, l cancel, air dodging, c stick and direction plus a also work.

hope that helps u out a little bit. if u have specific questions such as when can u input things on a frame by frame lvl or how to do a specific combination frame perfectly, I can help with that as well.

:phone:

john!

Smash Hero
if you do the same thing every time, the opponent will figure out a way around it. mixing things up keeps your opponent guessing.

example: falco always comes down from above with dair -> shine
opponent realizes that he needs to shield this and punish out of shield
falco sees this and mixes up by coming down with no aerial and simply grabbing their shield
opponent now has no single option that will always work and will get hit more often

Kanelol

Smash Lord
is too much tech skill bad

because i feel like at this point im just throwing out superfluous triple shines/ wavelands/ moonwalks

Superspright

Smash Lord
Depends on if it works, and who it works on. If that stuff works on your cousin who plays smash a couple of times a year--probably not so much. If it works on high tier players, probably is. But, triple shines aren't bad--but they don't hit on anyone except real fatties. Wavelands are important, and so are moonwalks (depending on character). Moonwalks allow you to space backward while facing forward or vice versa. Brawl has RAR (reverse aerial rush) so this is our only way of spacing bairs and fairs in a different way. Bairs can fly from a moonwalk. So it just depends. It is not terribly useful on stage--unless you're cf. But, it is useful to fly off for a bair on an edge-guard. Can give you that extra umph you need.

Lovage

Smash Hero
does anyone know what causes the "double sound effect" glitch?

i expect 90% of people don't notice it, as it's one of those rare things you only kinda pick up after having played for years lol.

but sometimes when moves hit, you can hear like an overlapping double sound effect. it's kinda like a phantom for sounds LOL

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
im usually pretty observant as far as things like that go, and i dont remember that poking out in my mind so that means it must be something i can explain. If you have video of it i might be able to tell ya

Top Bottom