• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Now that you point it out, I have heard this before but I never really focused on why it happened. I'd like to hear your theories cause I sorta drawing a blank. Off the top of my head it might be a phantom hit and then a real hit or soemthing along those lines.

TJ Infinat

Smash Ace
raeford or chapel hill depends on the time of year
How do I practice doubles with a partner?
There are a couple of things I do. Usually my partner and I like to try and get comfortable with the space we're allowing eachother. I play a lot of Doc and peach, and one thing that you can count on doc and peach to do is pill and turnip. A lot of people go without the pill when playing Doc in teams, but you can practice throwing pills and then having your partner go from point A to point B on stage.

You can also work out what to do when you accidentally grab your partner

As well as practice saving your partner from being too far off stage.

take a computer player each and practice protecting that player.

The last one is just a random idea.

rhan

Smash Hero
You and your partner should be in sync. Or at least know each other's play styles enough to where you can anticipate what he/she's about to do. Also you should try to avoid using projectiles until you and your partner feels comfortable enough to the point they feel they can capitalize on the projectile usage.

The only way to truly practice 2v2's is to actually play them. Playing a 2v1 against a lvl 6 Fox can help you practice your set ups and follow ups (Friendly fire on otherwise it wouldn't be a great simulation).

Another good tip is to know both you and your partner's characters enough to where you know what moves are weak against him/her so you know which ones to use when they need to be saved.

F A N G

Smash Journeyman
How do I convince my friend that Bowser is better than Pichu and Kirby?

He's got it set in his mind that Boswer is too slow and linear, that Pichu is fast with good recovery, and Kirby has good combos and the best recovery.

I realize there's no point in this

TJ Infinat

Smash Ace
Bowser, in addition to the great upB out of shield, has an incredible fair (not as good as the high tier characters, but its good) and a lot of powerful attacks.
If you can waveland with bowser, you can get into position to do a lot of things, like surprise ftilts and dtilts.
His flamebreath is useful at times, too, if anything, to build damage on the people that you cant edgeguard 100% of the time. Don't forget that his down smash is basically a slower but more safe version of peach's and that his usmash has a big hit box and also hits on his way down if someone happens to be under it.
Bowser is heavy and has a powerful bthrow. He also has an aerial grab and his down b is a good recovery option to surprise an opponent that follows you into the air.

My roommate plays Pichu, and he's annoyingly set on sticking with that choice. It wouldnt be so bad if he was actually better with pichu than he was with any other character.

donny!

Smash Cadet
Hey!

Im having some serrious problem

I cant stick to a character haha ,
i get good with one, play him for the longest time,

then randomly switch,

my mains within like 3 years, IC's, sheik, Falco, Ganon, Samus, Dk, and now Luigi haha but young link is coming up to steal his spot right now,

i feel i could become a much better smasher if i stuck and drilled ya know?

how do you find a main character?
sure its a stupid question, and the answer is proboby who is your favorite to play as? and yeah i cant answer that question.

any help would be GREATLY appreciated

thanks!

Pi

Smash Hero
you need to be being challenged as a player
and then you need to realize that it's not the character that you're playing that's causing you to lose, it's you
then you can pick one and stick to it

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
and then you need to realize that it's not the character that you're playing that's causing you to lose, it's you
We need to sticky this.

TJ Infinat

Smash Ace
I came into the smash scene playing DK. My DK was alright, I was able to beat some unknown falcons and maybe a few of the better known players. It was during friendlies, though, that someone saw potential in my Peach. Apparently I was unnaturally good at turnips. Egh.

The idea is not to pick a certain character, the idea is to know the game well enough to play well with the character you pick. Of course, you have to know your opponents character as well, so I suggest you know every character as well as possible.

I suggest you stick Luigi.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
when in doubt play a high tier. fox falco marth sheik falcon won't steer u wrong.

and simultaneously develop another character

either main a low/mid tier and have a back up high tier...or play a high tier and have a solid low tier to cp lack of mu knowledge and play style.

:phone:

donny!

Smash Cadet
Thanks so much guys,
this place rocks just sayin
so glad i got a username or whatever its called x)

i would love to main a lower tierd character,
but till then, i think ima just play everyone untill someone really clicks,

Doc,Luigi,and Mario are all kinda clickin right now

docs b-air with wavedashing/landing is ridiculous

Love that luigis moves hits the oppents up and ***** them in the face in the air,gotta work on ground game, and put dashdancing into my game and such its basically, wave dash alot and ftilt and sheild

mario is kinda chillin, but his U-air works out for me quite well. dont really play with him, but he kinda fits for me,

i feel maining a lower-ish tierd character would bring more satisfaction after crushed your oppents face.

Pi

Smash Hero
i feel maining a lower-ish tierd character would bring more satisfaction after crushed your oppents face.
it is, sept at some point people stop recognizing it as an accomplishment and instead attribute it to lack of MU knowledge or some other john
and you start realizing how much easier higher tier characters have it, and how gay they can be compared to how precise you have to be on a non-high tier character just to see the same results etc. etc.

so yea i wouldn't focus too much on that reason

john!

Smash Hero
it is, sept at some point people stop recognizing it as an accomplishment and instead attribute it to lack of MU knowledge or some other john
and you start realizing how much easier higher tier characters have it, and how gay they can be compared to how precise you have to be on a non-high tier character just to see the same results etc. etc.

so yea i wouldn't focus too much on that reason
these posts are contradictory

_Xanatos_

Smash Apprentice
How do you usmash OoS without the C-stick? I always learned to press up on the control stick and the C-stick at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiZLs2doK8E
This video says to use Up + A, but I can't figure out how to do it.
Plus they do usmash OoS in training mode where you can't use c-stick, so I doubt it's just a description error.

Any help?

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
let go of R/L before u jump....other wise u will jc shield grab.

about the low tier thing...only do it if that is the character that u love to play...the passion has to be there.

Pi

Smash Hero
yea if you don't enjoy playing your character....
well gl lol

just have to find even 1 thing you like about your character, some trivial nonsensical thing will do

like if you just love fox's ftilt

or you think kirby's nair is the ****

G

genkaku

Someone suggested that I try to JV 5 stock cpu foxes.
I've gotten far better in the last half hour than I have in the past 2 months.
Are there any other really useful ways to train?

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Multishine with Fox until you can 10 in a row consistantly. Then come back if we're still around.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Select fox
Lift your selection circle
Place over yoshi (don't press A to select yoshi)
Press Y
Press Start+L+R (brings game back to the title menu)
Go back into to vs character select, and you should be fox with the picture of yoshi (also your stock icons will be yoshi)

This works for others character combinations, there is an old post with all the information or you can explore the combinations yourself.

thundrio

Smash Cadet
I am currently trying to learn how to play competitively (kind of hard since i live nowhere near anybody who has visited smashboards more than once), and i had a few questions.

1)how important is c stick asdi compared to normal smash di. because i find it hard to remember to smash the c stick in the appropriate direction before i am already sent flying.

2)i know it reads the current value of the c stick for asdi, but what about normal smash di? do i have to mash the stick in the direction i want to di during those frames of hitlag, or will it be fine if the stick is already in that direction?

3)last di question, in one of the faqs about di'ing i read here, it said to di perpendicularly to the way you are headed, because going along the same trajectory as your flight does nothing. could someone elaborate on what this means in terms of where i can move the stick to have it do something? (do i have to push the stick at a 45 degree angle to my trajectory in order to have it do something, or is it just straight along that path)

thanks, hopefully someday (years) i will compete in some small tournament if i can find one.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
First lets differentiate between the cstick and the control stick. The cstick is the yellow stick you use with your right thumb. The control stick is the grey stick you use with your left thumb.

For ASDI, cstick takes priority over control stick, though either can input ASDI. This doesn't mean you get double ASDI if you do both.

In order to get SDI you must smash the control stick (NOT the cstick) during the hitlag, or roll the control stick past one of 8 locations that causes an input of SDI to be read. These locations are approximately at 45, 135, 225 and 315 (or in other words, up+right, up+left, down+left and down+right). There are 2 near each of those degrees (one for registering a rotation in either direction).

As for DI, yes in order to get the most change in trajectory you should DI perpendicular to the original knockback of the move. For a move sending you at 45 degrees you should hold the control stick at 135 degrees (perpendicular is 90 degrees not 45 degrees). You can hold the stick at any location but as you get closer to parallel to the knockback trajectory the effect of your DI will be less.

As for attending a tournament, I suggest you do so as soon as you can. There really isn't anything to lose and you will learn and connect with so many people by simply attending. Where are you from?

thundrio

Smash Cadet
thanks for the help, that clarified some things.

i live on the north oregon coast, so nothing really near me at all. i looked on the regional boards and saw some players in eugene, so maybe in a year when i go to college i can find one.

=(

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
usually once a month there is an oregon car pool or two that comes up to washington for game clucks(monthly tournaments)

it may be possible to get in with them.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Their stage collision (what determines whether you've collided with or are touching a wall) widths are different. Green has the smallest largest.
Hurtboxes are the same.

mers

Smash Ace
I was messing around with Marth yesterday, just playing with his movement. I attempted to moonwalk to the edge with him, but I screwed up the inputs, and it looked like I did like a triple-turn PC drop. I walked toward the edge, turned to face the stage, turned toward the edge, turned toward the stage, and slid off. This was all in one smooth movement.

You know how if you screw up a dashdance you get stuck repeatedly turning around? It looked like that, but I kept my momentum toward the ledge.

Is this possible? Or am I crazy?

Asmith

Smash Rookie
Is the timing for l-canceling fox's bair different from that of his other aerials? It seems like this is the only l-cancel that I can't execute consistently.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
late to the party on this one, but
something about audio "hitboxes" lagging behind actual hitboxes
these don't exist. on-hit SFX play on frame 1 of hitlag. no idea on what's happening, I'd need a different video to try to figure it out. it could be the on-shield hit blending with the nair that's coming out frame 3, but that's all i could think of in that instance.
Is the timing for l-canceling fox's bair different from that of his other aerials? It seems like this is the only l-cancel that I can't execute consistently.
his animation could be causing him to land later than his other aerials, throwing off your timing, however the window is still within 6 frames before landing.

Top Bottom