• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Melaf

Smash Journeyman
Hey I was wondering if well....Im almost sure...if melee has frame buffering just like in brawl for exemple when you land a nair and imput a usmash with fox even if the nair is L canceled and isnt finished will it buffer the up smash at a certain point or not.Ive tested some move Im way too uncertain to make myself a solid point and I want to know the frame details if there is a frame buffer in melee.

And Is there a way to Smash DI out of pikachus down smash? And also conserning pikachu Ive seen somewhere last year on smashboard something about the double UpB in the same direction MIDAIR like going in a straight line 2 time on recovery for exemple...is this true or not?? and how you do it I heard it was really hard but still with practice it can be a sexy thingy to do in friendlies lol

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Hey I was wondering if well....Im almost sure...if melee has frame buffering just like in brawl for exemple when you land a nair and imput a usmash with fox even if the nair is L canceled and isnt finished will it buffer the up smash at a certain point or not.Ive tested some move Im way too uncertain to make myself a solid point and I want to know the frame details if there is a frame buffer in melee.

And Is there a way to Smash DI out of pikachus down smash? And also conserning pikachu Ive seen somewhere last year on smashboard something about the double UpB in the same direction MIDAIR like going in a straight line 2 time on recovery for exemple...is this true or not?? and how you do it I heard it was really hard but still with practice it can be a sexy thingy to do in friendlies lol
Many of you know that Pikachu CAN, in fact, go upwards twice with his up-b. Thanks to the motivation of a various people, I have decided to look into the exact inputs to make this work. Sadly, I do not have Action Replay, so I was very limited to the amount of research I could do. I hope that someone that has AR will look further into this. Until then, these are the best results that I could come up with.

It is now known that Pikachu (along with a few other characters) can change the direction they face when they up-b strait upwards. In order to do that, you just need to input your up-b, then while your character is in the startup animation, you must lightly tilt the control stick in the opposite direction of which you are facing. This tilt must be light enough so that you do not up-b horizontally. Instead, you will still travel strait up, but end up facing the opposite direction. This can be done from the ground or while airborne. Now, the reason why knowing that is somewhat important is because you will need to tilt your control stick the same amount in order to go upwards twice.

To go up twice, start your up-b. Now, during the 22nd or the 23rd frame of your up-b, you must input that slight tilt on your control stick either LEFT, RIGHT, or DOWN. That's it! Only ONE input is needed to go upwards twice after pressing up-b. Left and Right, however, yield slightly different results than Down does. How you might ask?

If you go up twice by tilting left on the 22nd or 23rd frame, Pikachu will turn left during the second zip of his quick attack. That means, if you start off facing right, you will end up facing left. This is absolutely incredible for being able to grab the edge. If you start off facing left, you will still end up facing left. If you go up twice by tilting Right instead, then Pikachu will end up facing right. I think you get the idea.

If you use down though, then Pikachu will simply go upwards twice without changing any direction at all. Which means, if you start off facing left then perform this technique, you will still be facing left after the second zip. For some reason, Up would NEVER work for me. I tried for a very long time, but slightly tilting Up never resulted in the double up-b.

Now here's a question many of you might ask: How do you know what the 22nd and 23rd frames look like? Well, when Pikachu performs his quick attack, he will leave these star-like things behind him. They're very noticeable. I can't really describe them other than saying they're just these white stars that have somewhat yellowish circles around them. You should know what I'm talking about. Well, when Pikachu is on the 22nd frame of his up-b, he will have a trail of 6 stars below him, and his body will be VERY vertically stretched out. During his 23rd frame, he will only have a trail of 4 stars below him, and his body will be vertically elongated, but not as much as on frame 22. So, if you input the directional tilt while he has 6-4 stars, you will hopefully get the result of Pikachu going up a second time.

If this helps, here is a video showing every frame of Pikachu's Quick Attack (along with every other move, for that matter):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWAEr5fsXCc#t=2m57s

Further investigation still needs to be made for this technique though. I could not practice this frame-by-frame, and it took me countless hours to get these results. If someone has AR, please look into this further. Until then, these are the conclusions that I have made.

VIDEO: (Thank you, V3ctorman)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUrKbyyJWas
The first part of this video shows Pikachu/Pichu changing directions during the first zip of their up-b. The second part shows going upwards twice with their up-b. The third part shows them going upwards twice while changing directions during the second zip. Enjoy :)
thats axe's explanation. ive never been able to do it in AR but ive done it without. it takes alot of practice, but im a supporter of with enough practice u can do certain timings consistently.

no buffer, you can sdi out of pikachu's d smash, you can double up b.

Melaf

Smash Journeyman
thanks man i was looking for this the timing look really hard lol but like you said practice make perfect and fr the pikachu down smash Do you need to Smash DI more than once because if you get hit in the center of it smash DIing make your character move around the smash pretty much like Zapdos attack so you have to do multiple smash DI to be able to get out right?

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
yea the more the better. actually advise trying just mashing left and right while holding up on the c stick. it kinda pulls you in so u have to just try to get away. you probably won't be able to precisely sdi out consistently so find combinations to mash.

Violence

Smash Lord
Can someone fill me in on jab resets? How exactly do they work?

I know that some characters like Sheik and Jiggs have a jab that works better than others, like Samus, but what determines whether or not a jab will reset?

Pi

Smash Hero
well basically
once the jab knocks the opponent far enough off the ground to open up a window for the opponent to do something, you won't be able to force a otg option

prior to this there is the threshold in which a player can buffer a roll/attack, instead of the getup normally animation

and prior to this there is only the option to get up normally, no matter what direction you hold

because of this many factors come into play when determine if a jab reset was truly inescapable

jab strength
players %
DI inputted, both smash and asdi

then onto what they can buffer/do out of the jab, if anything

if you want to know specifics about the jab reset it comes down to what character your jabbing with, but ideally the weaker the jab the larger the window for a jab reset is

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
hmm...i didn't know there was a window for only straight getup. i figured they always had the option of rolling. thats interesting.

i mean, i main ganon, so my only reset is the tipman, which is situational at best lol.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
its just each character haas a certain height they need to get off the ground...thats obviously dependant on the characters fall speed and weight and percent...because of how kb is calculated for each move. you can asdi and sdi to get off the ground at lower percents. if u get off the ground u effectively escape.

when u miss a tech you are inactive for 25 frames...u can input roll, attack, stand on frame 25 and action starts on 26.

I don't remember what the rule is for buffering attack or roll after getting reset but ill find the post I read it in. sveet or strong bad might know tho.

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
I have a pretty obscure question here. Does anyone know if Aika Online is deliberately referencing a few of our players with their CPU names. In one area, the five Kynari leaders are "Hakks," "Isaiah," "Spektor," "Giregg," and "Darkrane." These are the only key names for that general area, and all are slight misspellings of very notable Falcon mains. Normally, I'd say coincidence, but Aika loves to make obscure references. Just wondering what you all think, lol.

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
I've been searching around for projectile catching and found little information on it so I guess I'll ask here.
Is there any frame data or images on the windows of catching projectiles? Also, does the window for catching projectiles vary for every character and projectile?

This really only applies to peach's turnips/item picks and the link's bombs, but I'm interested in how they work.

john!

Smash Hero
I have a pretty obscure question here. Does anyone know if Aika Online is deliberately referencing a few of our players with their CPU names. In one area, the five Kynari leaders are "Hakks," "Isaiah," "Spektor," "Giregg," and "Darkrane." These are the only key names for that general area, and all are slight misspellings of very notable Falcon mains. Normally, I'd say coincidence, but Aika loves to make obscure references. Just wondering what you all think, lol.
this is the work of scar, he's a moderator for that game or something, he mentioned it in his thread once

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I've been searching around for projectile catching and found little information on it so I guess I'll ask here.
Is there any frame data or images on the windows of catching projectiles? Also, does the window for catching projectiles vary for every character and projectile?

This really only applies to peach's turnips/item picks and the link's bombs, but I'm interested in how they work.
IIRC, magus made a post showing the item catch range for ganon against peach's turnips. I'm horrible at digging that stuff up, so maybe someone else could find it.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
lmao yess! def falcon players! gg scar.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
This is the greatest thing I've heard all day, good **** Scar

onionchowder

Smash Journeyman
What exactly do "East Coast DI" and "West Coast DI" mean? I hear commentators shout it out all the time. Do they actually have a technical meaning, or does it just mean DI by a player from the respective region?

Battlecow

Play to Win
So guys, how do I get that texture that makes Douglas Falcon look like Steve Rogers? And how do I put in on ma melee? Is there a guide or something y'all can link me to?

That's Captain Falcon to Captain America for the culturally illiterate among you.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
did anyone know you can powershield while shielding, and can anyone tell me the true mechanics of it?

a friend told me about it, and i thought he was full of it, but i did one a few days ago, and it blew my mind. i think it has game changing implications (it basically acts like a parry), but the fact that you can powershield before you finish dropping your shield (the 15 frames) is still crazy to me.

mers

Smash Ace
It's really simple. If you shield at any point during the shield drop animation, your shield comes back up like usual, meaning you can powershield like usual.

So just let go of shield whenever, and press it at the right time to powershield like always. It's really nifty.

Powershielding in general is really nifty, as playing against DoH has taught me. He powershields literally almost everything, and it's kind of gamechanging. You have to plan your approaches very carefully.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
You can't powershield during shield drop.

Also, did anyone realize that mario's jab is a 2nd frame move? Godly.

Top Bottom