• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

MTKO

Smash Journeyman
I have no idea where else to post this but...

http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Jack_Garden_tournament

Is anybody in to editing wikipedia? The part about SilentSpectre being at JGT is wrong and stupid, lol. And the fact that it says Ken was beaten by a non-wavedashing Link is lame too. I'm pretty sure he didn't lose to Aniki at that tournament.
It seems like a lot of articles, especially articles about smashers, are out of date on smash wiki. I think they should really be updated. I have an account on there, but I'm not really that knowledgeable when it comes to most of the stuff, so I don't think I can really update them very well. Maybe someone who knows a lot about smash history can update the tournament and smasher articles and someone with a lot of technical knowledge and update the pages on techniques and other things.

Smash Lord
I'm having a ton of people tell me that I need to start watching videos to improve my gameplay. When I'm watching videos, what should I be looking for/taking from it. Tech skill is obvious, so please don't mention it.

L__

Smash Master
think about why players make the decisions they do and how placement of moves affect the other player. also try to notice how players change their style according to percent, if they do. something else you can pay attention to is how positioning affects both players. e.g. player 1 takes top platform and causes player 2 to full hop double laser from the sides or dash dance in the middle at the bottom

Sangoku

Smash Master
Hello!

I've just bought the game recently (I already posted a few days ago ^^) and I'm trying to get the basic techskill down. I have problems with wavedashing (and waveshining) as I don't seem to cover the correct distance when I do it. For example if I waveshine a peach I am supposed to be able to shine her again right? Because I'm never close enough to chain =(.

Any advice?

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
U just gotta practice man. Basically u need to know that the more horizontal u hold the stick when u Wavedash the farther u will go, assuming that your timing of hitting R/L is correct(should be smooth not choppy). Just find that point where u can shine by holding down and as far forward as u can...what I mean by this is hold down and tilt the controller as far forward and hit b...u want to still shine, if u side B then u went too far.

learn that position on the controller, and then alternate between that when u shine, and almost horizontal when u wavedash.

Thas how u get the maximum distance in words...but when it comes down to it..u just shine...and WD as far as you can. If you are still having trouble...I would suggest simply practice wavedashing on its own. Just find hold directly right, and then move down just a little bit, thats gonna be where u want to hold it in order to wavedash perfectly....then just practice your timing.

notice how many times I said practice lol, u just gotta practice

Sangoku

Smash Master
Thanks!

Yeah I knew it was probably practice ^^ but I prefered to ask to be sure.

Another question is it possible to shield platform drop and if yes how do you do that?

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Believe it or not, its more of a recent technique. But u just have to hold shield while on a platform, and its really ****ing precise, like u have to "roll" the stick down but not fast enough to trigger the step dodge or sidestep...u just really gotta practice the speed.

Its really really really useful if u can master it...but wont do u ANY good until u have a strong handle on this game... Practice short hop fast fall L cancelling, then Wavedashing. then just play the game...unless u are the type that really really grinds at tech skill, it will be a long while b4 u need shield dropping. by long I mean a year or two.

If u are gonna practice it tho, just look at it as "movement" Being able to control your character is super important since melee has sooo much freedom. ur gonna wanna spend alot of time learning how to move around the stage quickly and efficiently. Watch some of the notable techskill videos and u will see what I mean.

but this is only my opinion, other ppl may tell u other things

Sangoku

Smash Master
KAOSTAR: The thing is I come from 64 where shielddropping is easy (no spot dodge) and I'm a bit used to it, but I guess I'll learn not to do them in melee haha.

I've already watched wak's advanced how to play (and I'm still training shffl and wavedash) but is there any good tutorial after this one?

It won't be easy for me to improve as I don't have other players to play with =/ that's why I thought of training techskill hard and if I have more time one day I could try to go to a tourney or something.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Shield dropping takes like 10x more practice than waveshining, and it won't be that useful when you're first starting out. If you find yourself wanting to shield drop on platforms, try jumping or WDing OOS instead.

Does anyone know how shield stun varies from light to hard shield? I read somewhere that you have more shield stun when you light shield, but I was wondering if this is true and if the specifics on how it works. Also random, what are the frames for landing lag (like on WDs and just landing from jumps)? Does it vary from character to character? Thanks in advance.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
yes, lightshield has more shieldstun than normal shield. the lighter your shield, the more stun. lightshield also takes more shield damage than normal shield, but decays slower.

there are 10 frames of landing lag on WDs and airdodges. There are generally 4 frames of landing lag from an empty land, but i recall one character having a different number (i think its a bottom tier/negligible character)

MTKO

Smash Journeyman
I tried searching this on here, but didn't really get any relevant results.
Can anyone explain to me how the consistently pivot. I can do some empty pivots with fox, march, G&W (his is a little weird like he stops then turns around slowly after I flick the stick). The way I do the empty pivots right now is push one direction, then without taking my thumb off the stick I flick it in the opposite direction and let go really fast so it resets to neutral and hope that I pivot. Then I jab or something.

Can I pivot only be performed out of an initial dash animation? And what are some other techs that involve pivoting? I can empty pivot pivot, pivot f smash, and pivot grab, but not consistently right now.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
you can do your method, but also during a dash dance there is 1 or more frames of "standing" where you can input an attack and it will come out

MTKO

Smash Journeyman
you can do your method, but also during a dash dance there is 1 or more frames of "standing" where you can input an attack and it will come out
Thanks. I haven't been able to do an attack out of a dash dance yet. It seems really hard.

Pi

Smash Hero
pivoting fsmashes is probably easiest because you have some wiggle room when it comes to performing the fsmash
dsmashes, tilts, jabs are probably more specific

T.J.

Smash Apprentice
I dono when but I think I heard some colors on chars are somewhat better then others.

This just some dumb rumor or is there actually a few pixel difference or something for some?

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
thats exactly the same thing. if u don't input anything after your standing animation then u just stand. same as pivoting during dash dances lol.

as far as colors go. I only recall that some character colors are a different size by about a pixel.

:phone:

L__

Smash Master
an easily identifiable example of ^ is

1. Pick default Falcon and go on Princess Peach's castle
2. on this stage there are 3 elevated sections of the stage, jump on one of the symmetrical ones
3. down smash as many times as you want
4. observe

1. pick any other falcon
2. do the same stuff as stated above

G

genkaku

I don't really know anything about walljumps, but I played some falcon freeforalls on yoshi's with some new people and... yeah. They're neato.
It looks like you can use a walljump as a substitute for wallteching. Is this true, or am I seeing things?
Somehow the people that I was playing with can walljump, knee, and DI back to the wall for another walljump, knee, etc. When I tried I couldn't do it. What's the trick?

Kanelol

Smash Lord
the earlier you aerial after a wall jump, the sooner you can start DI'ing back towards the stage

I'm sure Sveet's video explained all that though

Also, wall-jumping =/= wall-teching

But you can wall tech jump

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
U can smash out of initial dash? I call boloney, I thought you could only JC upsmash and grab out of initial dash. Pivot out of dash dance or initial dash...which if u pivot u are not actually in your dash animation, u truly are just standing. and Dash cancel smash attack out of your run.

Pi

Smash Hero
U can smash out of initial dash? I call boloney, I thought you could only JC upsmash and grab out of initial dash. Pivot out of dash dance or initial dash...which if u pivot u are not actually in your dash animation, u truly are just standing. and Dash cancel smash attack out of your run.
not the whole initial dash, but there is a small window
i tested with G&W
he has an 8 frame window to dash dance
and the first 3 frames of your dash, you can press A to forward smash

that's what i was talking about, if they didn't give you some lee-way to forward smash out of your dash, then unless you were frame perfect every time in when the game read your dash and when you pressed A you would end up dash attacking instead of fsmashing

so for g&w you have 3 frames to input a fsmash

some more info (G&W specific? idk):
you cannot dash attack any sooner than frame 4 of his dash (start on frame 4)
you can however interrupt your initial dash with a jump at any point of the initial dash, and thus upsmash out of it
you can interrupt your jumping animation with upsmash on frame 2 (start on frame 2) of the jumping animation
you cannot dsmash out of your initial dash

and now to my question;
when you pivot a smash there is only the 1 frame standing animation window of when your character turns around to dash the opposite way

the 3 frame (g&w) window for inputting a fsmash applies only to the first dash you do

odd

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Yea its pretty much just like when you Dash dance.

You are dashing right....then u turn around....but you have no momentum aka just standing facing left...then u are dashing left. So I think it goes dash right, turn left, stand, dash left each of those being a separate frame. Ill test for sure today or tomorrow. Id do it right now but I froze my game trying to load some AR stage and the game froze...dont feel like doing the whole disk swapping thing lol.

That makes sense about the Fsmash thing tho, I hadnt put too much thought into it like that. I just assumed ppl used C stick except during pivot smashes out of dash dance(I still c stick) and they were pretty much right on point. Its prob not like that for just GW tho, its prob like that for all characters.

Bones0

Smash Legend
You can dash attack on frame 1; you just have to let go of the stick before pressing A. I think you can also just input it like a tilt if you are dash dancing.

Top Bottom