• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official E for All Firsthand Impressions DISCUSSION Thread

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
If dash dancing is out, this game is pretty much unsalvageable as a competative game. I hate to be a downer and stuff, but spacing techs and tatics would all be removed if dash dancing is removed. . . . .
Dont think so: wavedashing isnt even give advantage or not... is normal running.

Anyways: smash 64 dont have a lot of these things and is a very good game (as good as melee, whatever things you say)

Zink

Smash Champion
what the heck? people are saying Brawl is a terrible game based on NOTHING? Get real, guys! First of all, this is a demo! It's not the final version! Second of all, we're getting a few fragmentary reports from people far away! We can't judge the game on THAT! Thirdly, the game has been playable for less than a day! You're going to base a likely 5-6 year metagame on 4 hours of gameplay of a demo? This is pathetic!
Also what at DD whining. It wasn't huge in Melee, and it's nothing special. Besides, it's close to unremovable.

Infil

Smash Journeyman
You guys are crazy! If you stop trying to make Brawl into Melee, maybe you'll find that Brawl is indeed competitive. To call it "unsalvageable" because it doesn't play like Melee is backwards thinking. Street Fighter doesn't have dash dancing, but it just happens to be quite competitive.

Sure, you might say dash dancing is the last straw for Melee's tactics/playstyle, but... come on.

Chepe

Smash Lord
How has MK's god tier position been disproven? Just curious.
Same way it was "proven" in the first place. People who dont know how to play Smash found him to be newb friendly, and the pros who know better than to fall into every B move know how to deal with him...

piffman2

Smash Apprentice
it's almost as if they've made a new game!? </sarcasm>

my impression of these impressions leads me to the hypothesis that brawling will not be about quick pwning, but epic battles. There's the nerfing of broken characters, the nerfing of KO moves i.e.Samus Charge, the opportunity for a new aerial metagame, as well as a different edgeguard game. This game will kick ***, and absolutely be able to co-exist with melee. Along with these new gameplay ideas, there are characters who may not make the transition to Brawl. All the more reason to seriously enjoy and appreciate two kinds of kick *** smashing action. I'm so pumped for Brawl, and psyched that, at the same time, I don't think it will replace Melee.
Brawl should be the evolution of melee everything it was plus more. They shouldn't be able to coexist. Brawl should render melee comletely obsolete. Melee did that to 64, for me anyway

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Dont think so: wavedashing isnt even give advantage or not... is normal running.

Anyways: smash 64 dont have a lot of these things and is a very good game (as good as melee, whatever things you say)
Dash Dancing. . . . . is different than wavedash. . . . . . .it is more important usually to most characters.

No spacing tatics available would be really bad especially with low traction.

Edit: LOL, stop whining about whining peoplez goz. Removing techs is obviously the way to go to have a deeper metagame am I right? It perfectly makes sense.

bluekitsune13

Smash Journeyman
Never heard that one before. I'm excited to play Metaknight anyway, because he's been one of my favorite characters. Ever since Kirby's Adventure I've been a fan. Maybe I just like swords...

I_R_Hungry

Smash Journeyman
Brawl should be the evolution of melee everything it was plus more. They shouldn't be able to coexist. Brawl should render melee comletely obsolete. Melee did that to 64, for me anyway
too bad anybody that actually knows what they're talking about would say the exact opposite on all counts.

Oathblivion

Smash Apprentice
Wow, it's been a while since I've posted anything here... And now I'm going to get flamed off the board.

No wavedashing, wavelanding, L-cancel, etc? Boo-who. I give this community 1-4 weeks to come up with new, possibly better advanced techniques that work on Brawl. Before Melee, we all kept on breathing without wavedashing, and now, after it was found, we can't seem to live without it. Brawl will be a different game than Melee, and as such will have its own set of techniques to discover and implement. So, I say let Melee be Melee, and Brawl be Brawl. All is not lost with our beloved tactics.

Now, if you're still reading this, my opinion on this focus on aerial battles. Cute, pink puffballs will reign supreme!! Jiggs has always been queen of the air in my opinion, and with improved DI and skybound fights, she'll be top tier for sure.

Okay, maybe not, but a guy can dream, right? -Oath

whiterob

Smash Journeyman
You guys are crazy! If you stop trying to make Brawl into Melee, maybe you'll find that Brawl is indeed competitive. To call it "unsalvageable" because it doesn't play like Melee is backwards thinking. Street Fighter doesn't have dash dancing, but it just happens to be quite competitive.

Sure, you might say dash dancing is the last straw for Melee's tactics/playstyle, but... come on.
I don't want to argue with you but comparing Smash and Street Fighter is like comparing apples and oranges. But yes, although I am dissapointed so far, it would be wiser to wait for the final version of the game before we claim that this game is superior or inferior to melee.

bluekitsune13

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I started to pick up SSB64 awhile ago! It's still as much fun as it was years ago! 64, Melee, and Brawl will most likely have different reasons to play them. SSB64 it's mostly out of retroness. Melee will probably be for the competitive scene. Brawl will be the best of both worlds. Truthfull, I'll probably abandon Melee for Brawl once it comes out.

3GOD

Smash Ace
Also what at DD whining. It wasn't huge in Melee, and it's nothing special. Besides, it's close to unremovable.
Dash Dancing is probably THE most underrated tactic from Melee. It is far superior to WD in most cases (there are character exceptions), and the main spacing/"mindgamez" tool for many characters.

I'm really hoping that Pivoting will be back as it also is really good and really underused.

Cyntalan Maelstrom

Smash Ace
NNID
Cyntalan
3DS FC
4227-1428-3954
I don't want to argue with you put comparing Smash and Street Fighter is like comparing apples and oranges. But yes, although I am dissapointed so far, it would be wiser to wait for the final version of the game before we claim that this game superior or inferior to melee.
I think the comparison of Smash to SF is better when you look at it from a coexistance POV. Look at SF. ST is still as widely played as newer and more evolved games like A3, CvS2, and 3S. There's no reason to say "out with the old, in with the new" because all the games are good and easily coexist. The same could be said for Melee and Brawl.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
I don't want to argue with you but comparing Smash and Street Fighter is like comparing apples and oranges. But yes, although I am dissapointed so far, it would be wiser to wait for the final version of the game before we claim that this game superior or inferior to melee.
I know of one comparision between the two, and that is that both rule effin' hard.

shanus

Smash Hero
see if DD was gone, there far far worse implcations. How could I even attempt to moonwalk taunt with my pink captain falcon?

Revak

Smash Apprentice
If you can grab the edge regardless of what direction you are facing this blows for Marios cape.

BubbleShield

Smash Journeyman
I dont care much about wding and all those other techs (except maybe L-cancel) But I wonder if Sakurai excluded a bunch of features from the demo. haha that sneaky *******.
Or maybe we just have to discover new hidden skills, just like when melee came out.

Besides that, wonderful info! Can't wait for the next juicy details.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
game speed, and l-canceling are my worries.....i could careless about the other styff(well maybe DD'ing) but like hopefully some kind of metagame can come from this thing, as of right now its looking pretty dim. I @ least expected the same speed and/or wieght physics butso far these reports have been a disappointment. catching the ledge from all directions?...thats rly busted IMO. edge guarding seems ilke it'll be super easy........i feel like that aspect alone was made for scrubs. lol

im going to get this game anyways to test it fully because these are reports and its just a demo, but its not looking good so far D=

Raikage

Smash Apprentice
Honestly if people end up preferring melee to Brawl when it comes out there's no reason they can't keep playing that. It hasn't aged nearly as badly as SSB64 has, I think it's still quite playable even compared to todays graphics.

Personally I think Brawl looks fantastic so far. It definitely seems the gameplay is being tuned up a lot, some old things will not make the cut, but I have no doubt it will end up having just as much depth as Melee.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
does it really matter? :p

jk
Seriously though, you can't "not" have DDing...can you :(
It would be ok if there was wavedashing, land cancelling projectiles, DJC, directional airdodge, no auto things, something was ****ing added besides footstool, momentum airdodge, gliding, and crawling. If any you think removing things that added depth to the game is better for the game, you guys are just plain weird.

Whatever, play Brawl. I will try, too. Come on. I can't believe anyone is serious when they read what has been posted by both these people. It is not a good thing. Whatever, different must = good or something.

Edi: Don't say that swift, people will tell you to stop crying for the loss of those techs and it is a new game. Think rainbows and farts.

Raikage

Smash Apprentice
Whatever, play Brawl. I will try, too. Come on. I can't believe anyone is serious when they read what has been posted by both these people. It is not a good thing. Whatever, different must = good or something.
By the same token old mechanics being replaced isn't necessarily bad. Brawl will NOT be Melee with more items/characters, that much is clear now. It's going to be very different and it will have to be if it's going to keep your interest for another 5 years without feeling like playing Melee all over again.

Mecha Soul

Smash Apprentice
You're going to base a likely 5-6 year metagame on 4 hours of gameplay of a demo? This is pathetic!.
QFT.

Hey guys remember how in melee we all discovered dashdancing/wavedashing/SHFFLing/DJCing/etc after a demo had been out for less than a day?

No, you don't remember? That's because it didn't happen. Assuming the gameplay will be less deep (shallow? <_<) based on a few hours is just stupid. Give it some time. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was SSB.

Top Bottom