• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official E for All Firsthand Impressions DISCUSSION Thread

I_R_Hungry

Smash Journeyman
I am pretty sure mindgames are removed, too. But since it is a different game and we don't want it to be a Melee *insert number in the domain of (1, 2]*, I think it is a great idea. Stop crying about such things being removed. Change is always good, especially when it subtracts depth. I feel like defending Brawl to the death because by some accident we will discover all these new techs that will be more awesome and more importantly DIFFERENT.

<__________________<
can you just leave this thread already

nobody here has time for this kind of crap ok

raphtmarqui

Smash Lord
I hope the game shapes up better when it releases, because these initial impressions sound terrible.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Its not that its terrible, it that its diferent, its slower and more balanced, were use to the fast paced kinda-broken game...

Im very glad its balanced now, FINALLY I can see more variety than marth, fox, falco and shiek players at out tourney...

squiser

Smash Apprentice
Any chance they're showing what options are availabe on WiFi? It'd be nice to know what we can do there and what limitations there are.

Hi btw...first post here, but I've been lurking for a while x)

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
How would you remove mindgames...Mindgames is how the player uses the tech skill, not the tech skill itself lol.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
I tried L-Cancelling with Link's dair repeatedly this morning. All seemed to recover at the same speed as doing a dair without trying to L-cancel. And if a long recovery time like that isn't l-cancelable... doubt anything else would be. So that appears out.

I reconfirmed momentum dodging. You either can't control the direction at all (aside from being going in the direction you want before you air dodge, lol), or it's very very minor. It doesn't give any type of push, so it'll go to your normal trajectory and then start going downwards. So wavedashing as we knew it is indeed gone.

After you air dodge, there's about a 1 second delay (of falling helplessly) before you can do anything. You can jump and even Up B after that, though. I don't recall 100%, but I'm pretty sure that you don't get your jump back if you already used it. I also don't recall testing specifically if you can double air dodge, but it seems likely as long as it doens't give you your jump back and it would also explain the delay after an Air dodge (that way if you're falling to the stage, you can't spam air dodge and be safe all the way down). - So those of you thinking you'll Air Dodge and then do an aerial combo right after as a counterattack (thinking that's how aerial combat would be improved - which I think would've been sweet)... sorry, but not gonna happen..

Crawling seems to be like walljumping was, in that not everyone has it. I did it with Pikachu but couldn't do it with Mario (bah, he could crawl some of his games) or Sonic (so my friend was wrong, I guess). I almost thought that was Pika's walk after I thought about it, but the Nintendo World Video on the Dojo shows Pika using his old walk (along with Mario, right before Wario shows up). So crawling = character specific. --- The input for Pika was just diagonal down.

Dashing dancing appears to be possible, but different. It took me a bit, but I kinda did it with Peach, Ike, and Fox. Fox looked the most like oldschool dash dancing, whereas when I did it with the other two it was taking me longer to turn around (think Zelda's dance dash...). I kept jumping out of Fox's... but it's not like I'm used to using the Classic Controller.

I didn't see an opening dash move for Fox (where it'd be most noticeable to me) when I tested, so foxtrotting looks to be gone.

We already knew this, but shorthop and fastfall are still there. Also, you can jump directly out of your shield (was shielding with Fox, and hit a jump button on Classic Controller and he jumped out of it).

As Zauron isn't going to have the time to keep this thread updated, I'll post a full report of what I've learned in the Impressions thread. Prolly 5 hours from now or so, as I don't want to start on it at work, but not be able to finish it. http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=121130

Lastly, Dark Link looks friggin' awesome. If you think otherwise after seeing him, you need to have your eyes checked and/or may not have the ability to recognize sheer awesomeness (in which case the rest of us both pity and laugh at you). - Think Black Link from Melee. Now makes his skin dark brown (think... really severe tan). Now make his eyes glow red. And that's Dark Link in a nutshell.
From another thread.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Its not that its terrible, it that its diferent, its slower and more balanced, were use to the fast paced kinda-broken game...

Im very glad its balanced now, FINALLY I can see more variety than marth, fox, falco and shiek players at out tourney...
Who says it's more balanced? We know that Fox has been nerfed, but that's really all we know. I guarantee you that there will be some kind of broken character in the game. . .it's all but inevitable. I've yet to see a balanced fighter, ever. . .except for maybe GGXX, but Eddie and Testament and Potemkin are effin' broken in that game too, despite it being relatively balanced.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
No, how else could Sakurai make a new game without removing stuff that has worked in the past? It makes no sense to keep things in a sequel.
But think about it. Unless we are unable to think everytime we play Brawl, mindgames won't be removed.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
can you just leave this thread already

nobody here has time for this kind of crap ok
Yeah, my bad. Because you all were so understanding and sympathetic to people who wanted some of Melee's techs in Brawl, I should have not done that. I am sorry. Continue on with this intersting discussion ABOUT the impressions.

Common arguements: melee=/=Brawl yet 64 to Melee transition only added stuff not removed. Why do we always have to trust Sakurai and complain about people complaining?

There will be new techs: Of course there will be new techs, will they be better? Who knows, but getting rid of useful ones is not an easy way to make a game with a lot of depth. This game needs to be an accident like the other smash bros.

I don't want a Melee something: When did sequels not build off of the last game? It is it that much of a problem to ask not to remove things and just add stuff. I will use the same logic you guys use. Play another game if you want something different.

If you want to debate this go ahead, I am tired of strawmens.

Edit: Using your mind is a glitch. It wasn't in Smash 64.

Jx31

Smash Ace

Why is everyone saying that the game is balanced? We have no evidence of this besides the high tier chars getting beat by the nerf bat, and we all know how much that helped in the transition from 64 to melee :urg:.

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
Just because the game is a new iteration doesn't mean that it'll be accepted by the fighting game community. Guilty Gear Isuka was considered completely unplayable, so people ignored that until Slash and Accent Core came out. If the game is crap, the top smashers will undoubtedly stay with Melee if the game is more balanced compared to Brawl (ha ha, that's hilarious) and has overall better mechanics than Brawl (which I suspect it will).
Boo at GG: Isuka. As for a competitive scene in Brawl, I don't care who plays it or not. All I know is I'll play to my heart's content, and I will be in any competitive scene for it. I just can't imagine there not being one. I know we can form some opinions, but this still IS a demo after all, not that anyone said otherwise, and things could change. Time will tell, as the saying goes.

MDZ

Smash Journeyman
Armstrong B.C Canada. It's in the Okanagan, so if
No, how else could Sakurai make a new game without removing stuff that has worked in the past? It makes no sense to keep things in a sequel.
For the sake of the internet, please stop ruining sarcasm.

People are naturally upset about not being able to use techniques they spent countless hours practicing and mastering, but the upside of it all is that the core gamers now have something new to search for rather than dwell on the same techniques that have been used for years. The 'depth' of melee has reached its limit, so the transition from Melee to Brawl (and let's face it, melee techniques in or out, everyone upset about it will play Brawl, and will learn more about it and will love it) can only add depth, not take it away. Where you come to that I really don't understand, since the most useful moves (you know, pressing a while tapping forward, pressing sheild, etc etc) are still there; they are the ones that made the game, not wavedashing.

The longer it takes for people to figure out these techniques the better; it creates a larger lifespan for Brawl. Imo, people are just drama queens.

Maricalistaro

Smash Journeyman
People wont realize that ssbb will or wont be more advanced util months or maybe even years after it release. Only time will tell. If its not then we wont know for quite some time.

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, my bad. Because you all were so understanding and sympathetic to people who wanted some of Melee's techs in Brawl, I should have not done that. I am sorry. Continue on with this intersting discussion ABOUT the impressions.

Common arguements: melee=/=Brawl yet 64 to Melee transition only added stuff not removed. Why do we always have to trust Sakurai and complain about people complaining?

There will be new techs: Of course there will be new techs, will they be better? Who knows, but getting rid of useful ones is not an easy way to make a game with a lot of depth. This game needs to be an accident like the other smash bros.

I don't want a Melee something: When did sequels not build off of the last game? It is it that much of a problem to ask not to remove things and just add stuff. I will use the same logic you guys use. Play another game if you want something different.

If you want to debate this go ahead, I am tired of strawmens.

Edit: Using your mind is a glitch. It wasn't in Smash 64.
do you play any MMOGs? i used to play City of Heroes.

eventually, way into the life of CoH, the devs introduced something called "Enhancement Diversification." basically, lots of players were improving their powers in a very specific, optimal pattern, to get the most out of them in the time/xp ratio.

ED basically FORCED players to improve their powers differently by introducing diminishing returns for a repetitive approach.

people were PISSED that they were changing the game. but the devs did it for what they saw as the good of the overall balance of the game and, ultimately, the longevity of the game.

i can only imagine that, for Sakurai and the dev team, they've made these changes for the good of the balance of the game and the longevity of play.

so while i understand the desire to not have them mess with or remove specifics that you don't think are broken, some things apparently have to change in order to facilitate whatever vision the devs have of the game.

whether that vision is good or fun can only be determined after really sitting down and playing the final product.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
The removal of L-canceling concerns the heck out of me, especially having seen how laggy Link's sword plant still is. However, if Bowser really is one of the better characters and it's not just Gimpyfish being awesome because he is Gimpyfish, then so much must have changed that there's no telling how its absence could affect the game. I'd have guessed that Bowser would have suffered more than most for not being able to L-cancel...

So many hours until they all finish for the day! I want to hear their impressions right from their own mouths, darn it!

raphtmarqui

Smash Lord
Yea, Brawl is off to a really bad start. Why the hell are they pointlessly removing techniques.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
coming from a person who uses advanced techniques, all the news so far doesn't bother me. so what if wavedashing is gone? i'm still excited for this game.

and BOWSER FOR TOP TIER!! YESSSS!!!

MDZ

Smash Journeyman
Armstrong B.C Canada. It's in the Okanagan, so if
The removal of L-canceling concerns the heck out of me, especially having seen how laggy Link's sword plant still is. However, if Bowser really is one of the better characters and it's not just Gimpyfish being awesome because he is Gimpyfish, then so much must have changed that there's no telling how its absence could affect the game. I'd have guessed that Bowser would have suffered more than most for not being able to L-cancel...

So many hours until they all finish for the day! I want to hear their impressions right from their own mouths, darn it!

Yeah, in spite of my passiveness towards the removal of things such as Wavedashing and Wavelanding, the removal of L-canceling also worries me. L-Canceling helped out practically every character, but now it seems as though there isn't any way to avoid the horrendous delay of certain attacks.

Though, Bowser going spotlight would be interesting.

yoshi info plox

Bloshi

Smash Ace
People need to stop getting pissed at the removal of advanced techniques. The same gameplay is still there, but now there's a slightly different way to go about playing. It'll still be great.

I'm actually glad L-cancelling is out. We all l-cancel anyway, so what does it matter? It will only help people get into the game. Technical skill is really a sort of barrier blocking new people from entering the smash scene easily, mindgames are the real reason this game is fun.

Cyntalan Maelstrom

Smash Ace
NNID
Cyntalan
3DS FC
4227-1428-3954
another good question, much more basic: does the right analog stick/c-stick still control insta-smashes/arials?

Stryks

Smash Hero
coming from a person who uses advanced techniques, all the news so far doesn't bother me. so what if wavedashing is gone? i'm still excited for this game.

and BOWSER FOR TOP TIER!! YESSSS!!!
Agree, I should me the more worried of the bunch, I use wavedash A LOT, in every mindgame I do I use wavedash, I KO using wavedash as an assit, but u know what? IDC if its out, why? because this game is too good, its less borken, more balanced, proven by the nerf and buffed characters, its all even, finally a REAL competition is coming, im glad brawl nerfed and buffed, IDC if WD is gone, Ill just learn some new moves...

thats the sign of a good player, one ADAPTS to the changes, instead of complaining...

red stone

Smash Ace
why l-cancel removal though. now everyone will move at the same pace, give or take a fast fall. i bet in the fourth installment they'll take out ff too jsut so it can be even

Top Bottom