• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official E for All Firsthand Impressions DISCUSSION Thread

PrinceOfSmash

Smash Cadet
We are all way too obsessed with which characters are going to be which tier. Let's think about this for a second. The demos are not using every character, and we don't even know what the final character list is going to look like. Captain Falcon or Ness (or Geno!) could be top tier for all we know. Every character that hasn't been revealed could be better than all the ones revealed as of now. How do we know?

Secondly, tiers are determined by and apply to the tournament scene. The game isn't even out; surely there haven't been tournaments yet. Additionally, THE GAME ISN'T EVEN OUT. What good does it do you know which character is which tier, oh, say, 4 months before the game comes out?

I think everyone is so anxious to get in on the tournament scene that we're all forgetting why we're playing in the first place: Because we like the series. So let's focus on how characters control, how cool/uncool they look, and other stuff of that nature instead of obsessing over whether Meta Knight is going to be top tier or not. Let's worry about the competitive aspects of the game when it's time to be competitive.
Soooooooo true besides for all we kno maybe the impressions of all the players of e for all will affect the final game. for instance maybe they will pick up on some complaints and fix them you nvr kno its only a demo and for we kno it may play like that because it isnt complet yet

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
That's the point. It's a high risk, so it's a high reward. If the other guy shields when you approach, don't jump in the first place. There shouldn't be a safety technique one can employ when one screws up so that a safe escape can be made.
Not just Link's dair. Any aerial move would suck as an offensive maneuver if used on someone on the ground without l-cancelling. High risk/high reward is NOT the basis of any fighting games. The top players always look to minimize risks as much as possible, which is why you rarely see top players rushing in on anyone. You should always limit the times you risk it, no matter how large the reward, unless your judgement tells you the situation will likely go your way.

Something tells me discussing competitive concepts here is futile though. I will just say that removing l-cancelling is bull, if it really has been removed.

Oh, and I like how many people are saying that without WD, we will just now have to start focusing on spacing. Lol, zoning or spacing is a key concept in all fighting games, especially Smash, with or without WD. I don't get what they're talking about, like if all this time the top players haven't been perfecting their zoning as a key part of their overall game.

Galt

Smash Journeyman
WTF? How is it poor character design? Because you didn't get wavedashing? You know all the people that talk like you should go try to make SSBB on your own or stfu and appreciate what the guy is trying to do for us. Jeez.
That quote was directed at Melee, which was full of bad character design. Utterly terrible. Ever play G&W or Kirby or Mewtwo, or Fox or Sheik? They're terrible characters. Fox is, at least, interesting.

Fewer hormones, more reading comprehension, please.

Metaknight X

Smash Journeyman
SO summary..

Fox is nerfed
Peach is nerfed
Ike is slow and possibly may suck
No wavedashing
No L-Canceling
No wave-landing
Dash dancing is still in
Mario is either slightly better or slightly worse
Link is slow but slightly better and has a badass costume
Sonic is over rated and average
Not much on diddy kong besides a revealed move
No mention of maps
Samus is slightly nerfed and ZSS is only usable through final smash
Nothing on: Pit, yoshi, DK, and Pikachu

Anything I miss?
Yes: Transvestite Diddy, confirmed

Zink

Smash Champion
That quote was directed at Melee, which was full of bad character design. Utterly terrible. Ever play G&W or Kirby or Mewtwo, or Fox or Sheik? They're terrible characters. Fox is, at least, interesting.

lol @ shiek is terrible

Hammabro

Smash Apprentice

Well I got tired of seeing similar posts to the one you placed, sorry 'bout that. Also I have played those characters and yeah they were a bit poorly designed (I never really felt a difference in abilities in ssb64 as I did in melee, in 64 I just knew certain characters I couldn't use because I couldn't learn them).

X6488

Smash Journeyman
I could understand taking out wavedashing (I like doing it, but I can see why they'd take it out).

What I can't see the reasoning behind is taking out L-cancelling, making Samus' charge shot weaker, and grabbing ledges while backwards.

That really messes things up. Sorta. I hope they don't slow it down too much, or they tweak it.

PrinceOfSmash

Smash Cadet
i bet they took it out because of the advantage advance players would have over noobs on wifi...or somthing along thos lines.....maybe making the game easier and more fun for their "casual " players.....id love to see their "casul" players follow brawl for 6 or 7 years like we did for melee

Stryks

Smash Hero
SO summary..

Fox is nerfed
Peach is nerfed
Ike is slow and possibly may suck
No wavedashing
No L-Canceling
No wave-landing
Dash dancing is still in
Mario is either slightly better or slightly worse
Link is slow but slightly better and has a badass costume
Sonic is over rated and average
Not much on diddy kong besides a revealed move
No mention of maps
Samus is slightly nerfed and ZSS is only usable through final smash
Nothing on: Pit, yoshi, DK, and Pikachu

Anything I miss?
Hot girls do play some smash, or are some how atracted to brawl in a unclear way...

bluekitsune13

Smash Journeyman

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
You are right ihavespaceballs. My bad. I should clarify.

more balanced (useful and not broken) = more depth.

Thanks. I forget to put the useable and not broken part usually.

Edit: KKK read this post. I didn't put more balanced.

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
i bet they took it out because of the advantage advance players would have over noobs on wifi...or somthing along thos lines.....maybe making the game easier and more fun for their "casual " players.....id love to see their "casul" players follow brawl for 6 or 7 years like we did for melee
"nerfed" means reduced in power.

MDZ

Smash Journeyman
Armstrong B.C Canada. It's in the Okanagan, so if
So I remove jumping so you would have to figure out what to do with jumps that means more options? No. More options = more depth. Sure, I would love that there would be new techs and there will. But who is to say there will be as many, or the game will have as good of ones? Removing stuff does not add anything. I don't know how you can think that.

Why I made posts like I do? Becuase people like these people on this thread are like, "You can't have negative opinions on this game and so shut up" OMG, it is so horrible to not like almost all ATs being removed. We can't make assumptions based on precedent or history. What is people to do but to get flamed or get absorbed in the majority. Of course this is human nature, but going against logic and personal opinions at the same time is just wrong.
Just because they're removing stuff doesn't mean they aren't adding stuff. Sure, it doesn't add depth when that's all that is happening, but for every removal there's many more additions.

It's not as though people aren't allowed to advocate negativity towards the game, but be realistic about it. Everyone speaks with a bias, that's forsure, but don't ignore the new things being included into the game because of a handful of things that are being removed. Wavedashing being removed isn't a game ruiner, nor is the removal of the other melee techniques, yet people are blowing it out of proportion with premature judgments.

Speaking of new additions to the game, has there been any word on footstool jumping and whether or not it's useful, op, or a waste?

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
WTF? How is it poor character design? Because you didn't get wavedashing? You know all the people that talk like you should go try to make SSBB on your own or stfu and appreciate what the guy is trying to do for us. Jeez.

Lol, yeah, let all the noobs and pros be equally skilled, thank you Sakurai, you're my hero.

Sorry to sound like...a jerk, but I'm pretty sure there are just as many people who are probably being retardedly optimistic about the gameplay possibilites of Brawl than there are people who are complaining about known ATs being gone.

Just sayin'.

and yeah, pretty sure taking out L-cancelling is THE dumbest thing I've ever heard of. seems to me there's only one really logical reason l-cancelling is out of the game, which says a lot about how the game is going to be structured.

Joe T.E.

Smash Rookie
Yes, L-Cancelling was removed due to reduced lag.
People have said that the reduced lag currently has lag times compareable to L-Canceled times in Melee.

henryfish

Smash Rookie
im sorry to ask...again but can some1 plz tell me where i can find NEW videos of brawl fights form TODAY
On the front page of the General Brawl Discussion forum, there is a stickied thread that says "GAMEPLAY VIDEOS" or some such. The first post has all the videos from a few days ago and today. So far, there are only two videos from today's demonstration.

Stryks

Smash Hero
and yeah, pretty sure taking out L-cancelling is THE dumbest thing I've ever heard of. seems to me there's only one really logical reason l-cancelling is out of the game, which says a lot about how the game is going to be structured.
They say that the lag after an aerial is reduced, so the L cnacel is pretty much automatic, SHFFLs will be easier to do now, so STFU, why the **** are u people complaining? Jst because it took u long to learn echniques, u just want this game to be melee 2.0? GTFO, ADAPT!! the game WAS gonna be changed to a slower paced game, skaurai said so in 2006! so why the **** are u people surprise?

L cancel is automatic
wavedash is fgone but so WHAT?! we will probably find something as good or better in the months after the release, eriously if u complain cuase theres balance now then ur not a real smash fan, ujust want broken and thats it, a true player adapts to the game and plays it...

BentoBox

Smash Master
Sorry to sound like...a jerk, but I'm pretty sure there are just as many people who are probably being retardedly optimistic about the gameplay possibilites of Brawl than there are people who are complaining about known ATs being gone.
Getting too serious about a game takes a part of the fun in playing it. I know for a fact that I'll still have my share of fun playing SSBB, because I'm not nearly as self-conceited as half the people posting on these boards.

Kooichi

Smash Journeyman
Wolf deconfirmed? O_O You have no idea how happy that makes me :DDD The debate of Falco vs Wolf is finally over!! Falco chances are even higher now, YAY! Now all that stands in his way is Krystal but Star Fox most likely will have 3 reps so WOOT! ^^

Bowser is high tier!? OMG PWNAGE!!! Falco, Bowser, and Luigi are my three of my favorite Melee characters and video game characters :D This info just gets better and better XD

Top Bottom