• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
1. I want Smash Communist as a title now.

2. I want accurate info and people sharing info and helping each other to grow. It's the fastest way to advance the meta and everyone would benefit.

OverLade

Smash Hero
I just wonder why Fox isn't place higher as far as statistics. I always thought Fox was high tier, I still do, though he does have crippling weaknesses like being susceptible to chaingrabs and infinites.

Pieisthebest

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0430-8304-2774
I just wonder why Fox isn't place higher as far as statistics. I always thought Fox was high tier, I still do, though he does have crippling weaknesses like being susceptible to chaingrabs and infinites.
IIRC, fox is one of the best at escaping chaingrabs, and has no infinites on him ;>_<

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Olimar is low tier. You're crazy if you don't think his recovery puts him there.

Oh, and disregard my avatar. >_<

Pieisthebest

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0430-8304-2774
So I revised my tier list from like 50 pages back lo >_<
So we have something to discuss >_>
tell me what you think

Possible Changes to make:

G&W: Top tier >>> High Tier
Fox: High Tier >>> Upper-Mid Tier
Olimar: Upper-mid tier >>> High Tier
Falco: High Tier >>> Top Tier
Peach: Upper-Mid tier >>> Top Tier (lulz jk)
ZSS: Lower-Mid >>> Upper-Mid
Lucario: Lower-Mid >>> Upper-Mid

Sugest other possible changes aswell :u

Top Tier:

Snake
Metaknight
G&W

High Tier:

Falco
DDD
ROB
Marth
Wario
Donkey Kong
Sheik/Zelda
Ice Climber
Fox

Upper-Mid Tier:

Olimar
Wolf
Pikachu
Toon Link
Pit
Zelda
Kirby
Ness
Diddy
Peach

Lower-Mid Tier:

Lucario
ZSS
Luigi
Mario
Link
Lucas
Sheik

Low Tier:
Bowser
Yoshi
Ganondorf
Jiggs
Sonic

Bottom:

Ike
PT
Samus
Captain Falcon

Browny

Smash Hater
I don't understand people who WANT their character to be higher. I would rather kick *** with a low tiered character, even if they shouldn't be there in the first place :p
oh its quite simple. if arguments persist as to why one character should be higher, hopefully that would encourage others to actually TRY playing said character, and maybe they too would realise why that character is actually quite good. the converse of course, which plagues this thread like no other, is people will continue making idiotic assumptions about low-tier characters (like sonic has a gimpable recovery. GG to gimping invincibility frames), idiots read these assumptions, tell thier idiot friends and suddenly everyone has the wrong ideas about all the characters not named snake/MK.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I played a good sonic recently. I beat him, but it came down to one close stock.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Yet still, if I was the only person on the planet who played Pit competitively, I wouldn't say carp about his tier placement. I would just show up and **** face with him. Granted, that only works for so long, but it's better than not at all. It's like when I played Gimpy in melee. His Bowser beat me just because I never, ever played a Bowser before who was serious. After two games with him, I was able to beat him (Not saying he's bad or I'm better, just an example). He certainly had the element of surprise, and having that is helpful. Had I faced him in a tournament match, the two wins he had would have lead to him moving on and me getting bumped!

That's what I'm getting at.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I guess I should rant on how much Olimar's recovery sucks, and that his pikmin are killable, and he's weak from an angle, and therefore should be dropped to low tier b/c 5/6 of the smash community didn't know that. >_<

So I revised my tier list from like 50 pages back lo >_<
So we have something to discuss >_>
tell me what you think

Possible Changes to make:

G&W: Top tier >>> High Tier
Fox: High Tier >>> Upper-Mid Tier
Olimar: Upper-mid tier >>> High Tier
Falco: High Tier >>> Top Tier
Peach: Upper-Mid tier >>> Top Tier (lulz jk)
ZSS: Lower-Mid >>> Upper-Mid
Lucario: Lower-Mid >>> Upper-Mid

Sugest other possible changes aswell :u

Top Tier:

Snake
Metaknight
G&W

High Tier:

Falco
DDD
ROB
Marth
Wario
Donkey Kong
Sheik/Zelda
Ice Climber
Fox

Upper-Mid Tier:

Olimar
Wolf
Pikachu
Toon Link
Pit
Zelda
Kirby
Ness
Diddy
Peach

Lower-Mid Tier:

Lucario
ZSS
Luigi
Mario
Link
Lucas
Sheik

Low Tier:
Bowser
Yoshi
Ganondorf
Jiggs
Sonic

Bottom:

Ike
PT
Samus
Captain Falcon
Is there like, any reason at all Lucario is below fricken Peach >_>. Ike isn't quite that bad either. I Don't think DK, the ICs, or Fox are that good either.

eggs-on-toast

Smash Apprentice
does anyone think that some time, maybe soon, that the unpredictaple characters like Wario, diddy ect. will move down once there surprise element goes down it's just they seem like once you can predict one they become 'meh' type characters, just what I think.

TehBo49

Smash Ace
In an alternate universe, where Brawl does not suc
Here's my list based on the SFR's list & my own opinions:

GOD TIER
Snake
Meta Knight

TOP TIER
G&W
Marth
Falco
ROB

HIGH TIER
Wario
King Dedede
Toon Link
Pikachu
Olimar
Zelda
Donkey Kong
Wolf
Pit

MIDDLE TIER
Lucas
Ice Climbers
Diddy Kong
Luigi
Lucario
Kirby
Sheik
Mario
Fox
Zamus
Ness
Pokemon Trainer

LOW TIER
Yoshi
Sonic
Peach
Link
Ike
Ganondorf
Samus
Bowser

BOTTOM TIER
Jigglypuff
Captain Falcon

chckn

Smash Ace
Here's my list based on the SFR's list & my own opinions:

GOD TIER
Snake
Meta Knight

TOP TIER
G&W
Marth
Falco
ROB

HIGH TIER
Wario
King Dedede
Toon Link
Pikachu
Olimar
Zelda
Donkey Kong
Wolf
Pit

MIDDLE TIER
Lucas
Ice Climbers
Diddy Kong
Luigi
Lucario
Kirby
Sheik
Mario
Fox
Zamus
Ness
Pokemon Trainer

LOW TIER
Yoshi
Sonic
Peach
Link
Ike
Ganondorf
Samus
Bowser

BOTTOM TIER
Jigglypuff
Captain Falcon
not bad at all. TL has to move down due to the fact that he really doesnt win tournamets at all anymore and that people have proved his matchups to not be as good as people once thought. Zelda has to move down for just about the same reason, and DDD has to be moved up to top. DK should really be moved up too just because of the fact that he practically counters the god tiers. Besides that, pretty accurate tier list

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Well for starters, she has better matchups than Yoshi in general, the same can be said about Sonic, but they're pretty even in that aspect. She outclasses him in the air, and given the fact that she can float at any height and time she can pull out aerials against him several times. Also, priority.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Floating at any height is quite meaninglss considering he can go up to her very very quickly.
His Uair beats out his Dair.
His Nair clanks her Nair .

His Bair is better.

He has better setups for getting the opponent above him.
And his ground game is better.

Priority is a little issue considering her hitbox doesn't cover much in front of her unlike MK.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
who decides who's in the sfr? just wonderin.
I decide who is in the SFR. I control the document. I control all. All suggestions must be run by me first. Then I may the big important decisions, because that is just how high up I am in the SFR.

Actually the SFR collectively choses new members. Tehbo49 had to go through an initiation process.

Anyway I like you tier list Tehbo. Interesting that you have a god tier and a top tier. I tried to make an SFR tier list but we have so many contrasting opinions that it was difficult to tell where the SFR was leaning to. Don't forget to post the tier list on Redfish's site.

TehBo49

Smash Ace
Well for starters, she has better matchups than Yoshi in general, the same can be said about Sonic, but they're pretty even in that aspect. She outclasses him in the air, and given the fact that she can float at any height and time she can pull out aerials against him several times. Also, priority.
Nonetheless, Sonic is doing better on the tournament scene. I'll probably move Yoshi down though because of his poor tournament standings.

@ metalmonstar: I figured with how much Snake & MK are dominating they pretty much are the gods of brawl. I never really liked the idea of a very high tier. It seemed asymetrical like there should be a very low. Also, what's the web address of Redfish's site? I couldn't find it in the document.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
@ TehBo: The thing that really gets me with the current lists that people are putting out is that there is always a large amount of ambiguity with the low tier. There are about fifteen characters that will, at any given time, move around each other in an almost random fashion. This low tier, however, seems pretty solid. It's good to see someone put Ganon in a not-bottom tier, considering that he does pretty well at tournaments compared to most other "bad" characters. I do love Yoshi but due to his tourney results, I suggest that he be moved lower... like just above Link, maybe. Zamus and Luigi should switch places, or at least she should be moved to upper mid. It also does seem like Kirby is too low... lower high is a stretch, but I would say upper mid for him as well. Good work, keep it up.

Stop hatin on the Princess :psycho:

She's below Sonic and Yoshi? Wtf?
Stop hatin on Sonic and Yoshi :psycho:

Edit: The site is s4.invisionfree.com/sfr. I think.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
I thought the SFR was just all the people who aren't in the SBR, and come here instead :) I don't know if anyone answered my post earlier about Bottom Tier... dont want to look backlike 20 pages. So I'll say it here again. IMO, the bottom tier and low tiers don't have too big of a gap in level, at least at this current time. I think that the Bottom Tier should be added to the Low Tier, or the Bottoms added to the Lows and some of the Lows to Lower Mid, or add Bottom Tier to Low Tier and then make Upper Low Tier and Lower Low Tier, etc. or a combination fo these. Bottom Tier usually only has about 3 people in it anyways:)

gantrain05

Smash Master
No one's hatin on Peach. If you think she should be higher, please state why.
ok, well here's a few of my personal opinions on why peach should be placed higher.

first of all, she has a great ground game, which is very fast and can rack up damage very well, and then theres the turnips which are a great spacing tool and approach. and to compliment her quick ground game she has a very good air game, her Fair and Bair have great speed and priority and can be used very well for approach with good DI. Her Dair at low percents combos very well to just about any of her other arials, she's got a pretty good edgegaurding game with turnips + floating Fairs and Bairs, and she's also very hard to gimp off the edge.

I've been able to go toe to toe with every metaknight i've played. and consistantly destroy wario's and lucarios w/ her. I've never personally tried using her vs snake but alot of people on the peach boards believe she one of the best snake counters. i also believe she has alot of very good matchups against alot of the mid/high tier characters.

I know im not the best at explaining why she should be higher, but i do know that every time i play peach i do just as well as anyone else using higher tier characters.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
My friend used Peach against my Snake. It was very annoying. I do believe Peach is a counter for Snake. But we're not Snake/Peach expert players or mains, so idk. Her Side B (the butt attack thing) just kills me tho :)

TehBo49

Smash Ace
ok, well here's a few of my personal opinions on why peach should be placed higher.

first of all, she has a great ground game, which is very fast and can rack up damage very well, and then theres the turnips which are a great spacing tool and approach. and to compliment her quick ground game she has a very good air game, her Fair and Bair have great speed and priority and can be used very well for approach with good DI. Her Dair at low percents combos very well to just about any of her other arials, she's got a pretty good edgegaurding game with turnips + floating Fairs and Bairs, and she's also very hard to gimp off the edge.

I've been able to go toe to toe with every metaknight i've played. and consistantly destroy wario's and lucarios w/ her. I've never personally tried using her vs snake but alot of people on the peach boards believe she one of the best snake counters. i also believe she has alot of very good matchups against alot of the mid/high tier characters.

I know im not the best at explaining why she should be higher, but i do know that every time i play peach i do just as well as anyone else using higher tier characters.
Still, her turnips got nerfed. Most characters can outspam her turnips & those that can't can catch them relatively easily. Granted, they are good at edgeguarding. She also has a bad weight-size ratio & a lack of kill moves. Personal experience vs *insert top tier character here* is irrelevant. And for the record, at least one fourth of the character boards believe their character is a Snake counter. Even if she was a Snake counter, that doesn't instantly make her higher.

gantrain05

Smash Master
Still, her turnips got nerfed. Most characters can outspam her turnips & those that can't can catch them relatively easily. Granted, they are good at edgeguarding. She also has a bad weight-size ratio & a lack of kill moves. Personal experience vs *insert top tier character here* is irrelevant. And for the record, at least one fourth of the character boards believe their character is a Snake counter. Even if she was a Snake counter, that doesn't instantly make her higher.
yeah, im not saying cuz she's a snake counter thats the only reason she should be higher, and yeah, if the opponent catches ur turnip they only have one option and that is to throw the turnip back or use a B move, thats part of the strategy, if ur opponent catches my turnip i have a few options to punish, i can Fair, use Toad, or just avoid it or catch it in return, turnips didn't really get nerfed too much considering all they were ever used for in melee was spacing and approach, and they still serve the same purpose, and she really doesn't have any problems with KO's , her Fair and Bair sweetspots K.O. fairly early and her Usmash and Utilt are insanely powerful, especially sweetspotted Usmash.

fallenangemon0

Smash Journeyman
Peach can also break most of MKs specials and I know for sure she out prioritizes a lot of his moves with turnips.

Glide tossing is just great as an approach/retreat/mindgame.

e__

Smash Ace
Could someone explain to me why Pokemon Trainer is being put so low? Is it simply because of his tournament results? Because it seems to me that the only reason he doesn't place so well in tournies is because of a lack of being played.

TehBo49

Smash Ace
yeah, im not saying cuz she's a snake counter thats the only reason she should be higher, and yeah, if the opponent catches ur turnip they only have one option and that is to throw the turnip back or use a B move, thats part of the strategy, if ur opponent catches my turnip i have a few options to punish, i can Fair, use Toad, or just avoid it or catch it in return, turnips didn't really get nerfed too much considering all they were ever used for in melee was spacing and approach, and they still serve the same purpose, and she really doesn't have any problems with KO's , her Fair and Bair sweetspots K.O. fairly early and her Usmash and Utilt are insanely powerful, especially sweetspotted Usmash.
Catching the turnip gives let's you block the next turnip, thus effectively stopping turnip camping. True fair & Toad will block the turnip, but what if the turnip is above Peach thus baiting her the aforementioned attacks. Fair is telegraphed & usmash needs to sweetspotted. Utilt & bair are fine though. I'm not saying she's garbage, she's just worse than the characters above her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom