• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
I think Marth still needs a much greater justification as to why he is scoring Fourth place among most tiers. I agree he is top tier material, but ranking above GaW or ROB to me is almost laughable. His high susceptibility to projectile games really sets him back in top tier play in my opinion. His only infinite is against two characters you won't see much anyway (Lucas' popularity seems to be waning) and those two characters can even space him back with projectiles -anyway-.

Now I'm not hating on him, I like Marth, but I just want someone to break down the evidence to support him ranking above so many other high tier chars.

gantrain05

Smash Master
Catching the turnip gives let's you block the next turnip, thus effectively stopping turnip camping. True fair & Toad will block the turnip, but what if the turnip is above Peach thus baiting her the aforementioned attacks. Fair is telegraphed & usmash needs to sweetspotted. Utilt & bair are fine though. I'm not saying she's garbage, she's just worse than the characters above her.
well we could throw around "what ifs" all day, i'll just have to post some tourney results from my next tourney as peach.

TehBo49

Smash Ace
In an alternate universe, where Brawl does not suc
^Unless Peach starts rapidly winning tournaments, I don't think she's going to move up any time soon.

I think Marth still needs a much greater justification as to why he is scoring Fourth place among most tiers. I agree he is top tier material, but ranking above GaW or ROB to me is almost laughable. His high susceptibility to projectile games really sets him back in top tier play in my opinion. His only infinite is against two characters you won't see much anyway (Lucas' popularity seems to be waning) and those two characters can even space him back with projectiles -anyway-.

Now I'm not hating on him, I like Marth, but I just want someone to break down the evidence to support him ranking above so many other high tier chars.
Um, unless your name is Snake or Falco, Marth can stop your projectiles. I'm no Marth expert so I can't break it down specifically for you. If that's what you're looking for, go look at one of Emblem Lord's threads.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace

Okay, since Emblem Lord ha practically given up on this thread, I think I need to step in to defend Marth.

Projectiles are manageable for Marth in the same way that they are for MK. Marth's Fair, Jab and F-Tilt all swat psychical based projectiles, save Snake's nades, which will blow up in your face if you try. Because of this, Marth can approach almost any character without taking damage.

Only FAST MOVING energy based projectiles like Falco's/ROB's lasers and Pit's arrows cause problems. And those can be avoided with Marth's speed and aerial movement (I think he is 4 or 5th in that category). This quality is similar to those of MK, who uses his mobility to weave projectiles while approaching.

In short, the projectile "issue" is moot. Only a handful of characters can camp Marth, and those characters are quite frankly, capable of camping the entire cast.

So why isn't top tier then? Marth isn't top tier because he isn't "broken". He has no quality that is truly dominating. He merely has above average everything, and a moveset that is entirely usable, allowing him to stay fresh and unpredictable for the entire match. He lacks Snakes dominating stage control, MK's raw laglessness, Falco's and DDD's easy chaingrabs, or G&W's ridiculously safe and powerful kill moves. However, he has a watered down version of each, allowing a skilled player to compete with him against practically any opponent.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
My perfect tier lis :)

Top Tier
Snake
Meta Knight

High
R.O.B
D3
Mr.Game and Watch
Marth
Olimar

Upper
Falco
Wario
Lucario
Wolf
Pit
DK

Middle
Ice Climbers
Fox
Kirby
Diddy
Pikachu
Ness
Zelda
ZSS
Toon Link
Luigi

Low
Peach
Bowser
Lucas
Samus
Squirtle
Jigglypuff
Charizard

Bottom
Ike
Sheik
Ivysaur
Sonic
Mario
Ganondorf
Link
Yoshi
Captain Falcon

And before any of you fanboys whine that your character is too low(looking at you Yoshi) , Remember tiers are based on fact, not opinion

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
I wouldn't place Olimar that high. A simple recovery gimp can totally screw him up.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sadly, that's^ the most accurate one I've seen so far, besides the fact that PT and Zelda/Sheik should be one character IMO.

Oh, and Dekuu, How are you supposed to get him off the stage in the first place?

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
I know...that post was a bit biased because of who I main (for me, at least, is a bit easy to edgeguard Olimar).

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Mr. Victory.

Something on your list bothers me, and that is Ivysaur being listed in Bottom. I understand that his horrible recovery adds onto this, yet I see Olimar in High and ZSS in Middle.

Ivysaur has a fine mix of range and power. It is excellent at camping with Razor Leaf, and can foil attempts at aerial combat with Vine Whip and Bullet Seed. Spacing is no problem with the spammable bair. Forward tilt is very safe, racking up damage and making Ivysaur stretch out and then return to its original position. Fsmash, Uair, Bthrow and Usmash are excellent killing moves.

In fact, I also disagree with Squirtle and Charizard being low, but I can't be bothered.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Mr. Victory.

Something on your list bothers me, and that is Ivysaur being listed in Bottom. I understand that his horrible recovery adds onto this, yet I see Olimar in High and ZSS in Middle.

Ivysaur has a fine mix of range and power. It is excellent at camping with Razor Leaf, and can foil attempts at aerial combat with Vine Whip and Bullet Seed. Spacing is no problem with the spammable bair. Forward tilt is very safe, racking up damage and making Ivysaur stretch out and then return to its original position. Fsmash, Uair, Bthrow and Usmash are excellent killing moves.

In fact, I also disagree with Squirtle and Charizard being low, but I can't be bothered.
I would assume that most people lack of confidence in PT and his pokemon lies in the fact that:

1. He hasn't proven himself at tournies. Most of the "good" things we see/hear about PT is theory-craft.

2. Ivysaur's stats aren't impressive when stacked versus his recovery. Olimar/ZSS have a lot of comboing ability and Olimar has ridiculous power and priority behind his attacks ALONG with comboing potential. Ivysaur's only good damage dealing ability lies in his Bullet Seed, which everyone has figured out how to DI out of it. Spacing can only take you so far.

3. Squirtle and Charizard look good on paper, but never seem to stack well against the competition either. Both seem to be far inferior to characters that do what they can do, much better. Sure, this makes PT well rounded, but its just makes him well rounded below averageness, which doesn't win tournaments.

4. PT doesn't main Mudkip. This would greatly boost him popularity and power. No one can withstand the awesomeness of Mudkip.

Its The Jinks

Smash Cadet
mr. victory how can falco and g&W not be above rob. G&W also has incredible priorty as we all know and another thing, why is olimar in high and not upper. Lacario should never be above wolf , i don't know what that is all about, when wolf has a broken down smash and forward smash. His projectiles is also one of the best making him a spamable camper. I agree with CHCKN's tier list and completly disagree with what i am seeing above from mr. victory.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
sonic above samus... ummm i disagree because they both are incredibly weak, samus has projectiles and much more priorty. Speed doesnt mean evrything ppl those b move can be countered easily.
Sonic isnt above Samus, look again

I think Pika should be Higher
Pika has had sub par tourney outings

Mr. Victory.

Well pkmn trainer hasnt had the best of tourney results. And you can not be ivysaur, and Ivysaur has the worst matchups and is most likely the worst one. So the other two are bottom of low, so thus ivy must be in bottom

My only arguement on this list is Mario. He's not 2nd from the bottom. His combo ability and edgeguarding shinanegans easily place him above that. Not to high, though, he still hasn't proven "above low" for me.
This is true, i might fix that

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
mr. victory how can falco and g&W not be above rob. G&W also has incredible priorty as we all know and another thing, why is olimar in high and not upper. Lacario should never be above wolf , i don't know what that is all about, when wolf has a broken down smash and forward smash. His projectiles is also one of the best making him a spamable camper. I agree with CHCKN's tier list and completly disagree with what i am seeing above from mr. victory.
R.O.B has slightly better tourney results and matchups than both of them, GaW isnt doing all that well
And Lucario is also doing better in tournaments, and Wolf isnt "broken", his smashes are horridly predictable

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
I would assume that most people lack of confidence in PT and his pokemon lies in the fact that:

1. He hasn't proven himself at tournies. Most of the "good" things we see/hear about PT is theory-craft.

2. Ivysaur's stats aren't impressive when stacked versus his recovery. Olimar/ZSS have a lot of comboing ability and Olimar has ridiculous power and priority behind his attacks ALONG with comboing potential. Ivysaur's only good damage dealing ability lies in his Bullet Seed, which everyone has figured out how to DI out of it. Spacing can only take you so far.

3. Squirtle and Charizard look good on paper, but never seem to stack well against the competition either. Both seem to be far inferior to characters that do what they can do, much better. Sure, this makes PT well rounded, but its just makes him well rounded below averageness, which doesn't win tournaments.

4. PT doesn't main Mudkip. This would greatly boost him popularity and power. No one can withstand the awesomeness of Mudkip.
Firstly, I'm going to thank you for actually posting logical arguements to the query. People have tried before and have literally gotten something like "Well Bair spam is nothing unless you space it perfectly everytime." I don't understand how you can use that arguement when discussing a tier list.

When you say DI out of Bullet Seed, I'm assuming you're talking about the initial pop-up. It's very obvious that you should Smash DI once caught in the streams, yet, you will still take a large chunk of damage should you already be in the stream. (at least 20% if you get caught in the middle) However, that pop-up isn't the only way to put someone into Bullet Seed. Of especial note is the ability to hit an opponent with Nair and DI down to avoid hitting with the last hit, then Bullet Seeding afterwards. And as ridiculous as it sounds, there are extremely simple ways of landing Bullet Seed on a recovering opponent. Simply predict a jump up from the ledge and peg them from below. This obviously ignores the fact that you could simply mind game a Bullet Seed (Because honestly, who expects Ivysaur to make any sort of approach?)

Bullet Seed is, however, not Ivysaur's only way of racking up damage. Razor Leaf, Ftilt, Nair, and grabs all do moderate damage at least (Around 10%). Ftilt does 14% when it's fresh, which is amazing considering it's such a safe attack to use. While it may not be the crazy damage that comes from the use of things like G&W's aerials, most of Ivysaur's attacks are incredibly safe to use (Ftilt, Bair). You can even pseudo wave bounce with short-hop Razor Leaf.

I'll agree with most of the rest, but I can't forgive you saying that other characters can do what Charizard does. Charizard's grab range is large and quick, and his throws are setting him up for his excellent edge-guard game. He has multiple jumps, sweet-spotted Bair/Fair are great for gimps, and he can spike. It's even possible to chase at low percents, especially in fatigue, using his Fthrow and Bthrow. Not to mention that he also has fast long ranged tilts, a fast finishing smash (Usmash), and Rock Smash for general damage building.

I'm not arguing at all for ZOMG Top Tier. I'm not even sure where I would move them. However, amongst the ranks of Ike doesn't seem like the right place.

Mr.Victory07 said:
And you can not be ivysaur, and Ivysaur has the worst matchups and is most likely the worst one. So the other two are bottom of low, so thus ivy must be in bottom
This is the kind of senseless thing I don't like to see. You have no support for any of your claims in the slightest. Disregarded

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Multiquote frenzy...

I thought the SFR was just all the people who aren't in the SBR, and come here instead :)
Good call. :(

Um, unless your name is Snake or Falco, Marth can stop your projectiles. I'm no Marth expert so I can't break it down specifically for you. If that's what you're looking for, go look at one of Emblem Lord's threads.
Toonie, ROB and Pit can spam against him fairly well, and Yoshi and Zelda can usually get a few hits in. Otherwise this is true.

And before any of you fanboys whine that your character is too low(looking at you Yoshi) , Remember tiers are based on fact, not opinion
Fact: Yoshi has a whole ton of potential.
Fact: He does awful at tournaments.
Fact: It's sort of the weird paradox that's been occuring with Toon Link and Pikachu, only nobody thought Yoshi was any good in the first place.
Fact: Unless Yoshi does better soon, he'll be at the very bottom.

Foxy_Marth

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-1951-3128
R.O.B has slightly better tourney results and matchups than both of them, GaW isnt doing all that well
And Lucario is also doing better in tournaments, and Wolf isnt "broken", his smashes are horridly predictable
The way your talking your looking at tourney results from maybe that one thread.

Putting TL,Pika,Zelda, and Mario so low becauuse of the past month is utter stupid.

Tourney results only go such a long way,you need to look at appearences, and potential. AND MAYBE JUST MAYBE experience if you have any. The way you talk about tourney results is discusting, yes it plays a major role, but only to a certain extent, and if you think they look at resultts from one thread and make a list your LOST.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
^Marth can block TL, Zelda, & Yoshi when they spam against him. I forgot about ROB & Pit though.
Actually, theoretically not Zelda...

It is possible to manuever the Din's fire hitbox so it misses the hitbox of the move that Marth is using. Without the hitboxes clanking, Din's fire doesn't get beaten. I've starting using this to good effect against DDDs approaching and using bairs to get through Din spamming.

Granted, it's a great deal more difficult against Marth, but it can be done, and expect Zelda to incorporate this into her metagame more as time goes on.

As for Rob, his Gyro is beaten, and the laser isn't too spammy because of the charge-time.

Toonie, ROB and Pit can spam against him fairly well, and Yoshi and Zelda can usually get a few hits in. Otherwise this is true.
Pit is fine, but TL gets outprioritized (I'm frequently on both ends of this match-up being that marth is my main and TL is my secondary, so I know) with arrows and boomerang, bombs can be caught. Yoshi is physical, the egg is easily beaten.

Fact: Yoshi has a whole ton of potential.
Fact: He does awful at tournaments.
Fact: It's sort of the weird paradox that's been occuring with Toon Link and Pikachu, only nobody thought Yoshi was any good in the first place.
Fact: Unless Yoshi does better soon, he'll be at the very bottom.
You forgot Zelda, but pretty much.

Pretty good explination of Marth overall.

Really, I don't understand why so many people aren't up on Marth's abilities.

Oh, probably because they haven't seen a good marth.

I would think Marth's Jab not quick enough to block all three hits of Toon Link's common "Jump, Rang, Arrow Arrow" spam.
Think again.

Theftz22

Smash Lord
everybody seems to say ZSS has a terrible recovery because it's a tether. This is completely false. First of all, her down-B is like a Up-B third jump. And also, she can use her tether multiple times. She can knock someone off the ledge with the first one and then grab it with the second. It's not like Olimar or Ivysaur where you can only use one tether.

Adapt

Smash Lord
I seriously doubt Marth can stop ROB's laser, seeing as it goes through characters. Never tried it though so I could be wrong

KingK

Smash Apprentice
everybody seems to say ZSS has a terrible recovery because it's a tether. This is completely false. First of all, her down-B is like a Up-B third jump. And also, she can use her tether multiple times. She can knock someone off the ledge with the first one and then grab it with the second. It's not like Olimar or Ivysaur where you can only use one tether.
ZSS has one of the better recoveries in the game. She has three recovery skill options (all of her specials besides neutral b) and she's fairly floaty so she doesn't fall quickly and her jumps qo a decent distance. Plus, she can wall jump, for what it's worth (somewhat useful on stages like FD). I think people tend to assume too quickly that a tether recovery means that a character can be edgehogged easily and that the tether is basically their only option. Which, at least in the case of ZSS, is not true.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
lol. They weren't even debating the match-up.

Just the camping aspect of the match-up.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Kirby: Upper-mid to mid-mid.
Mario: Upper-low to lower-mid.

Anybody who mains either character will argue about that.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
Kirby: Upper-mid to mid-mid.
Mario: Upper-low to lower-mid.

Anybody who mains either character will argue about that.
I only argue about Kirby when tards put him in the low tier with flawed reasoning or no reason at all. Honestly he could make the third tier (assuming 6 tiers) if his tournament standings were a bit better. Many of his match-ups are misunderstood and assumed.

I only argue about Kirby when tards put him in the low tier with flawed reasoning or no reason at all. Honestly he could make the third tier (assuming 6 tiers) if his tournament standings were a bit better. Many of his match-ups are misunderstood and assumed.
Sadly, I'd have to say you're not the first person to say this about their character.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
Sadly, I'd have to say you're not the first person to say this about their character.
Yeah but I'm not like "ZOMG HE NEEDS TO BE 2 FULL TIERS HIGHER THAN THE GENERAL PUBLIC TYPICALLY PLACES THEM!!!"

Even with better tournament results, Kirby still wouldn't move out of the lower portion of the upper (3rd) tier (again assuming a 6 tier system). Outside of ROB, GaW, Snake, and Marth, his match-ups aren't that terrible in the upper tiers and few characters can say that they have the advantage over these characters anyway. A few soft counters, a few easy matches, and a lot of neutral matches are present in the characters above him.

Yeah Yoshi mains wanna see him go from lower bottom to mid-mid, that's not gonna happen unless yoshi mains do some serious tournament grinding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom