• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stoopdklutz

Smash Journeyman
Thank you for enlightening me. But back on topic,. as this is an issue I fervently want to be be resolved...

We should stop disputing over the almost set-in-stone top tier and upper tier and worry about the lower tiers. Might i suggest Pokemon Trainer and Zelda?

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
Smashboards agrees on one thing; Captain Falcon is the coolest character in the game and also the worst. lol. But even though he is pretty bad(NO APPROACH AT ALL) he is fun to play with and awesome to just knee people to death. He can't combo, lacks range, predictable recovery and low priority, which all make him the worst of brawl.
FACT: Captain Falcon has 9000 times the testosterone of a natural human male

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
This is my first ever tier list but obviously it's not going to be that great but I'm willing to make changes on it. Also, I only split my list into 4 groups, top, high, mid, and low.

Snake (You can run circles around him but he's still going to kill you)

Pit (I hate him, but he is good)

Marth (Tipper > everything)

High

Meta Knight (I still think he's overrated but tourney results don't lie)

Wolf (Really good just not the best of recoveries)

Toon Link (His only weakness is his weight and that his Up B isn't the greatest of recovery moves)

Ice Climbers (So much you can do with one grab, just try not to lose Nana)

Pikachu (Only problem is he's light)

Pokemon Trainer (The ultimate counterpick)

Mr. Game & Watch (He's improved so much in every way but he's still very light)

Diddy Kong (Really good but his recovery is a bit gimpable)

Fox (He's lost some of his luster since Melee but he's still very good)

Mid

R.O.B. (Good at just about everything but he's a bit slow and easily juggled)

King DeDeDe (Crazy chain grabs and KO power but very slow)

Zero Suit Samus (Lot of combo potential but light with a tether based recovery)

Kirby (Light but a lot of potential)

Mario (a.k.a. Mr. Gimpsalot, a.k.a. The man in red, a.k.a. Average Joe, a.k.a. That crazy plumber; lot of potential but lacks range and his Up B is kind of shoddy)

Falco (Crazy aerials and a very good projectile but light with short recovery)

Wario (You can do some very crazy things with his aerials but his range is very small)

Olimar (Bit in the same boat as Lucas)

Lucas (Really good except for his weight and recovery)

Zelda (Faster than in Melee but still slow and Din's Fire has low priority)

Luigi (Lots of power but still has a lot of the same problems he did in Melee)

Lucario (Good range and some nice combos but performs below average at low percentages)

Ness (More KO power than Lucas but Lucas still has more options open to him)

Samus (She's still really good but there's something missing besides her speed...)

Ike (Very, very slow but he's got enough range and power to make up for it, even more so than the new Ganondorf)

Sonic (Very fast with some good combos but almost nonexistent priority)

Low

Sheik (Still pretty good but basically lost most of her juggling and combo abilities)

Link (A lot of options but not a whole lot he can do with them...)

Yoshi (He's good but his defensive options are very limited; he's probably better than I'm giving him credit for but he hasn't been doing too hot in tournaments)

Donkey Kong (Good Range and power but basically has the same problem as Bowser)

Peach (Still pretty good but most of the power behind her moves are gone)

Bowser (He's better than he was in Melee but he still has a lot trouble against those who can outmaneuver him)

Jigglypuff (WoP isn't what it used to be)

Captain Falcon (...I don't really think he's this bad but he has not been doing hot at all...)

Ganondorf (Well, he's got power going for him)

I don't feel very comfortable with my order in the low section so I might change it later.

Ratherion

Smash Journeyman
PT is still a toss-up in my opinion, as no one has posted any videos of a PT who completely uses all of his pokemon to their individual full effect. Eatch pokemon has very difinitive weaknesses and strengths, which when used in good coordination can basically combat anything the game can throw at you. He may be seen as low for now, but if you waited a bit, I'm pretty sure you'll see him slowly move up a spot or two every three-two-ish months.

I'm pretty sure the reasoning for this is that not only do you have to master three completely different characters and styles, counter-movements within those styles, multiple approaches with each character, three entire sets of KO moves with differing percentages of each... you have to work out how the pokemon work in synchonization, which means switching out at the right moments in order to gain the advantage. It's no wonder no one has yet to really get the grip on him. But we'll wait and see.

And to all the people who argue "lol pt is nub, when you switch I get a free Ike fsmash"...

Please, think a bit. First of all the range of time in which the pokemon is defenseless and where the pokemon can Perfect Shield is actually relatively small, about the length of one of Fox's laser animations. I don't see people saying they can get free Ike fmashes whenever Fox uses his blaster. Additionally if you're smart and don't use Change Out in a time where they can obviously retaliate, you don't get hit at all [after squirtle's d-throw, for example].

^^ To the teir list above: Falco's Phantasm recovery is actually pretty beastly. Pit is beginer-friendly and anti-beginer, not going to lie, against a player with a lot of matches under their belt, he's actually not very good.

Raistlin

Smash Lord
Smashboards agrees on one thing; Captain Falcon is the coolest character in the game and also the worst. lol. But even though he is pretty bad(NO APPROACH AT ALL) he is fun to play with and awesome to just knee people to death. He can't combo, lacks range, predictable recovery and low priority, which all make him the worst of brawl.
Ganondorf > Captain Falcon (Only in Brawl).

It's true.

Ratherion

Smash Journeyman
Anyone that posts a tier list that doesn't have

Snake
MK
DDD
G&W
Marth

at the top is not worth anyone's time.
Falco>D3?

With some of the new AT's developing for squirtle, such as all of the Pivot-related things [Super-slide-Usmash, Super-slide grab, super-slide-anything-that-doesn't-cancel-momentum], is it boosting his teir position by any amount? Because he is an amazingly agile character with amazing aerials, a decent enough recovery that can be aimed and excellent gimping abilities along with his great d-throw... IMO he should be higher.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Your 2nd and 3rd tiers are all jacked up (and I prefer the names Top, High, Upper, Mid, Low, Bottom). ROB is 4th, Marth is 5th, Falco is 6th, and TL is 7th. The first 2 have unarguable tourney results and while many may argue Falco should be under GaW, he is just now starting to gain steam in the tourney scene. Diddy, Pika, and IC have no business in the 2nd tier, Diddy shouldn't even be in the third tier either. Lucario, ZSS, Fox, Lucario, and Squirtle cannot even stand a chance in the 3rd tier. They should all be 4th tier. Personally I think my list is better, its a few pages back. I think I'll edit and repost.
These are some strong opinions. I didn't need this much criticism. I'd like to have a few pointers here and there suggesting placement for a couple characters, not half the cast. thanks for taking the time though. preciate it.

Notes-I like the tier names I have. They're not changing. I've had Rob 5th for a while (and that's pretty generous considering how my opinion stands on him), and Falco is 4th b/c I think he can deal with the rest of the cast except GaW and up. TL has been 7th, but will probably move down to 8th just below marth. I've had Falco just below GaW for a while now. I think Diddy has LOADS of potential and my tiers aren't based solely off of rankings. I actually had a hard time putting him below falco believe it or not, but his reflector>bananas in this case. If they were, DDD would be third. Maybe squirtle and ZSS may be lowered, but lucario is staying and so is fox. Have you seen Azen's lucario? It's crazy. Fox is hard to use and is underrated. Yours is alright for your opinion, but I've got mine, and you've got yours.

IMO diddy is too high, wario, sonic and DK are too low. otherwise i think its alright
I'll probably move Wario up a little. Sonic can move up a little, maybe just above Mario, but below ness? sound good? DK can move up later if he continues to get better.

I Disagree. The only ones who might move up would be DDD, Olimar, and wario. DDD IMO is the only one who you can make a case for over pika diddy and IC.
I addressed wario. Olimar? i'm not sure about him. I'm biased, if I do say so myself, so he'll probably not move too much. DDD could move up with olimar, but I'm placing DDD past him.

how about characters like ice climbers, if you dont know whow to use them, people will suck. if you do know, they have potential to **** every characters in the game.
He'll probably move to top tier once people realize their potential. He was above snake on mine until everyone commented on it. (he's secretly in a hidden section called "future banned" on my list)

A post has to be at least 10 characters (or letters) in length. If someone posts a short message they will often use the phrase 10 chars to add those extra letters and have more than the required 10 characters.
woa, news to me. I'm not even going to say what I thought it meant, and I've used it several times before... ... ...

no doubt in my mind. This is true. I like to use him to show people who's boss in these parts and to show his moves. :)

woa, I'm, tired. *twiches*

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
These are some strong opinions. I didn't need this much criticism. I'd like to have a few pointers here and there suggesting placement for a couple characters, not half the cast. thanks for taking the time though. preciate it.

Notes-I like the tier names I have. They're not changing. I've had Rob 5th for a while (and that's pretty generous considering how my opinion stands on him), and Falco is 4th b/c I think he can deal with the rest of the cast except GaW and up. TL has been 7th, but will probably move down to 8th just below marth. I've had Falco just below GaW for a while now. I think Diddy has LOADS of potential and my tiers aren't based solely off of rankings. I actually had a hard time putting him below falco believe it or not, but his reflector>bananas in this case. If they were, DDD would be third. Maybe squirtle and ZSS may be lowered, but lucario is staying and so is fox. Have you seen Azen's lucario? It's crazy. Fox is hard to use and is underrated. Yours is alright for your opinion, but I've got mine, and you've got yours.
While your opinions are very strong, they're just that, opinions. Tier list have to be based off of facts and I'm able to provide the facts when needed. There is no need to argue that R.O.B. is ridiculous in combat, but the thing that puts him apart from Falco is his weight and recovery. Both are great campers and have excellent all around fighting skills. His fair can WoP, his dtilt is crazy fast, trips frequently and can be used in conjunction with his gyroscope for massive damage, and he gimps much easier than Falco ever can. The other that sets him apart from Falco is results. I know you base your opinions on potential, but tier lists are based on potential and results. As good as Falco is, his tourney standings don't reflect it. He is doing better, but as of right now, R.O.B. should have the 4th spot. Marth snags 5th because he is still crazy. He can be camped but is also speedy enough to approach campers and we all know what happens if you let Marth get close. Falco snags 6th simply because he is still that good and will still destroy you. Toon Link is a great camper with great face to face skills (WoP bair, Melee style Marth nair, great tilts, etc.) but as I said before, tourney results are also part of a tier list and ignoring them is ignoring the metagame which is why a tier list is made. Toon Link doesn't match his potential in tournaments. As for the names, they just make it sound misleading. Calling DK and Luigi "below average" is just irresponsible, DK is in the top 10 ranked tourney characters. That's not at all below average. Tier lists based on opinion are not the way to go. Every character must be analyzed to the utmost scrutiny and how well they are played should also be factored in as well. Tier lists define the metagame and basing one on your opinion only is creating a metagame based on opinion.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
Please note that the characters within mid tier on down aren't in any particular order. Also I'm not to sure about my own low and bottom tiers, they're all equally bad to me so I didn't know where to draw the line between the two tiers.

Top:
Snake
Metaknight

High:
Falco
Marth
King Dedede
R.O.B.
Game & Watch
Wolf
Toon Link
Pikachu

Mid:
Donkey Kong
Ice Climbers
Wario
Pit
Zero Suit Samus
Lucas
Diddy Kong
Fox
Ike
Luigi
Zelda
Olimar
Sheik
Kirby
Lucario
Ness
Squirtle

Low:
Bowser
Samus
Link
Jigglypuff
Peach
Charizard

Bottom:
Gannondorf
Mario
Yoshi
Sonic
Ivysaur
Captain Falcon

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
Please note that the characters within mid tier on down aren't in any particular order. Also I'm not to sure about my own low and bottom tiers, they're all equally bad to me so I didn't know where to draw the line between the two tiers.

Top:
Snake
Metaknight

High:
Falco
Marth
King Dedede
R.O.B.
Game & Watch
Wolf
Toon Link
Pikachu

Mid:
Donkey Kong
Ice Climbers
Wario
Pit
Zero Suit Samus
Lucas
Diddy Kong
Fox
Ike
Luigi
Zelda
Olimar
Sheik
Kirby
Lucario
Ness
Squirtle

Low:
Bowser
Samus
Link
Jigglypuff
Peach
Charizard

Bottom:
Gannondorf
Mario
Yoshi
Sonic
Ivysaur
Captain Falcon

Your views are actually pretty similar with mine! I think the tier is pretty accurate so far...maybe Captain Falcon up a bit, and Olimar moved up into high....

Kaizo

Smash Apprentice

Top:
Snake
Metaknight

High:
Falco
Marth
King Dedede
R.O.B.
Game & Watch
Wolf
Toon Link
Pikachu

Mid:
Donkey Kong
Ice Climbers
Wario
Pit
Zero Suit Samus
Lucas
Diddy Kong
Fox
Ike
Luigi
Zelda
Olimar
Sheik
Kirby
Lucario
Ness
Squirtle

Low:
Bowser
Samus
Link
Jigglypuff
Peach
Charizard

Bottom:
Gannondorf
Mario
Yoshi
Sonic
Ivysaur
Captain Falcon
Bowser should probably be bottom of mid at worst, Olimar should definitely be in high somewhere, Lucario might be bottom of high or top of mid. Also Charizard is somewhere in mid. Ivysaur shouldn't be bottom, probably low, though. Mario's better than everyone in Low tier or below, excluding Charizard and Bowser who should be higher up anyway.

Onxy

Smash Lord

Top:
Snake
Metaknight

High:
Falco
Marth
King Dedede
R.O.B.
Game & Watch
Wolf
Toon Link
Pikachu

Mid:
Donkey Kong
Ice Climbers
Wario
Pit
Zero Suit Samus
Lucas
Diddy Kong
Fox
Ike
Luigi
Zelda
Olimar
Sheik
Kirby
Lucario
Ness
Squirtle

Low:
Bowser
Samus
Link
Jigglypuff
Peach
Charizard

Bottom:
Gannondorf
Mario
Yoshi
Sonic
Ivysaur
Captain Falcon
Why is Ivysaur so low? Bad recovery =/= bottom tier. And Bowser is too low also, so is Charizard.

GimmeAnFSharp

Smash Journeyman
In response to last few quoted posts:

Mario should be higher than bottom. I'd be ok with low or mid, but he certainly has more potential than that.

If I was going to critique it any farther I would might as well make my own list, but that's the one major thing that stuck out to me that wasn't already mentioned (I too agree Bowser, Charizard, and Ivysaur need to be moved up).

Sh1n0b1

Smash Journeyman
Corner-Trap's Tier List
IMO Ike should be low tier. He has become way to predictable, and anyone with a speed advantage should be able to take him. G&W's placement should be third. That guys got a great chasing game, powerful finishers, and good priority on most of his moves. I don't believe King Dedede is better than Pikachu. Sonics placement in bottom tier is probably a bad decision on your part. His spring gimps recoveries, his uair has a great chaining ability, and he has a decent chase game. Switch him with Jigglypuff. Jigglypuff may be able to do a WoP and her air game may be above average, but when you die at ridiculously low percents it sort of compensates for all of those qualities. It is a pretty good tier list nonetheless.

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
What's everyone's reasons for putting Ivysaur and Charizard so low again? I thought it was due to fatigue, but then people told me that it is easy to workaround.

Onxy

Smash Lord
It is easy for Squirtle and Charizard to switch (but Charizard shouldn't switch), IMO I think Ivysaur suffers the most because she has no options to knock someone far enough to switch, but I haven't experimented enough. Oh and as for Mario, top low at worst. He isn't the best, but doesn't suck either, so I say mid.

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
Ivysaur has both damage building moves and good kill moves, so I think Ivysaur is going to rely most on killing his opponent as quickly as possible, but that strategy can be considered a huge disadvantage in Ivysaur's case because his opponent could stall.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
gah, I leave for the day and stupid **** pops up >_<

@Kaizo: If your going to troll AND educate people, you gotta be like me >_>

re Zelda:
I believe that she's very high tier. As pointed out, her smashes are good, and her aerials are good, unless the opponent is below you. However, as she plays so defensively, knocking her into the air is hard. Also, airdodge->n-air works wonders if someone is below you. Her projectile is amazing, because of the large hitbox, there is a huge range of time that you can release it and have it still hit, making the opponent have to guess when to airdodge.

Her f-air/b-air are excellent for spacing, and her up-air kills. Her tilts are wicked good. Also, if she has to, she change change to shiek, which is better in a few situations.

Re PT: he's not terrible, but nowhere near top of mid/high. I can see a case for PT getting into the middle/bottom of mid, if he started doing better in tournies.

Re Jiggz: She is NOT a good character, by any stretch of the imagination. She has one combo into rest, that is reliant on the enemy getting hit by her d-air for the entire animation. She is good in the air, but most characters in brawl have good air games (compared to melee, where queen of the air was a much greater advantage). Squirtle, wario, kirby, marth al have equal if not better air game in the style of Puff, and others have equally good, but different airgames (MK, pit, pika) So she doesn't even have that advantage.

As comboing is gone, she can't gimp people early with b-air chains, and even if they are offscreen, it's much more likely they will get back, due to the airdodge system. On the plus side, her dash attack and f-smash got better, but I don't see staying on the ground worth using her slightly less pitiful ground game.

Grunt

Smash Master
What are you talking about? Last time I checked Snake's tournament edge wasn't that large over Meta Knight. Factor that in with Snake being the go to guy to beat Meta and you have what I always talk about, skewed tournament results. I main Kirby, Meta counters Kirby quite well, if I see someone who's been beasting with Meta the whole time and I face them in the finals, no way in hell am I gonna start off with Kirby. I pick Snake and win, then Snake gets tournament results even though my Kirby did most of my work.
?
Thank you for confirming what i said.

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
Re PT: he's not terrible, but nowhere near top of mid/high. I can see a case for PT getting into the middle/bottom of mid, if he started doing better in tournies.
I agree with this. Bottom of Mid sounds more appropriate than Low Tier, but that is likely bias on my part. I can imagine PT's flaws making him easily gimped, but the Pokemon themselves are good.

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
Touche' gentlemen..

then again...

after Marth i'd probably put out

Falco
Wario
Zelda
ROB
Wolf
Pit

or perhaps even switch Falco/Marth.. but the reason for DDD being so high on MY tier list is tourney placings don't lie...

Not after 4 months they don't.

Originally MK was top.. no one could contest w/ him... then nade throwing Snakes came along and put him into place...

Dsmashing SSing ROB's dominated the DDD's/Falcos that loved to CG, and attempt to get free damage where DI, and spacing where missing.

Wario is a combo king, and is very well better at doing damage in comparison to Marth however Marth has far more KO potential than Wario.

Zelda is an amazing camper, and so is Wolf.. and ofcourse Pit.

Pit has a difficult time killing much like Sonic does, but has ALOT more options that make him unpredictable, and his aerials are VERY good. Zelda is also a powerhouse, but is alittle slow on the ground which leaves he vulnerable to the higher tier toons [imo] like Snake, MK, Marth, Falco, G&W.

DDD himself is a TOTAL powerhouse just as Zelda herself is, but even w/ Usmash juggling, she has a difficult time getting KOs [and yet her ballroom kick gives her, her currently wonderful tier position].

The reasoning behind Falco being below DDD, Marth, and G&W is b/c recovery is SO important in Brawl it is almost OVERLOOKED.

ROB can double Fair Falco and gimp him @ 40%.. and he is NOT comming back from a spike...

Zelda would be higher but she can also be gimped quite easily w/ a ledge hog >_>

Pit's UpB makes him a prime target for other spammers, and toons like ROB, Zelda, Snake, and MK to gimp on the way up...

back onto DDD, he himself has VERY good recovery [though it is easily gimped by Mario, this character choice is not very common at all], has a VERY good projectile, does ALOT of damage w/ his aerials, and has a LARGE number of kill moves... and ofcourse his options are not very limited seeing as he has range, and the best CG in the game.

There must be a reason why Chillin, and M2K BOTH use DDD...

/shurg, maybe i'm just crazy.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Ch0zen 0ne, great speech but I must contest the best CG in the game. Excluding IC's who are in a sort of league of there own I'd say Falco's is better then DeDeDe's. Unless you're playing someone like Luigi or DK :p

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Dedede is a fat overrated lard *** with a predictable recovery.

Edit: F*CK!!! I told myself I wouldn't post in this thread again.

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
lol me too >_<

but i mean.. "SuperArmor" [btw.. that is gay... can the community just plz just call that sh*t invincibility frams or another phrase equally less stupid] gives him the ability to be predictable...

And Falco's CG only goes so high.. DDD's is a tad more versatile in that respect...

edit- EmblemLord is a sexy devil.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Wow. I have no idea what to say.

No sir, I'm no idiot. Take a gander into the Marth forums plz. Then come back here and say that. If you do then YOU are the idiot though.

Those were my personal feelings towards Dedede. Did I say he sucked? No, I did not. And his recovery is pretty predictable since his Up has a set trajectory once it starts.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
?
Thank you for confirming what i said.
Did I confirm what you said? I was simply stating that Snake is Meta Knight's best counter in the game. A character's counter is not necessarily better than them. Meta Knight has more favorable match-ups than Snake and the tournament results are very close. I was stating that the tournament results are skewed because if you know someone is going to use Meta in the finals off the bat, wouldn't it be wise to use Snake as opposed to your main who is more than likely disadvantaged? In this case wouldn't Snake get the credit for the win and not your main who won the bulk of you matches? As far as one on one goes, yes Snake is better than Meta Knight. But to create a tier list, you must factor in performance against all characters and real life performance. I've already stated that the tournament standings are very close (and both of them are still way above the competition) and Meta Knight matches up with the rest of the cast far better. One bad match-up in the top tier is not enough to push Meta Knight down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom