• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteWingDemon

Smash Cadet
Meta Knight
Game and Watch
ROB
Snake

High
Toon Link
Pit
Wolf
Diddy Kong
Fox
Pikachu

Mid
Marth
Falco
Dedede
Olimar
Sheik
Ice Climbers
Lucas
Kirby

Low
Lucario
Wario
Jigglypuff
Luigi
Zero Suit Samus
Zelda
Mario
Pokemon Trainer
Samus
Ness
Ike
Peach
Bowser

Bottom
DK
Link
Sonic
Gannon
Yoshi
C. Falcon
Please explain why Zero Suit Samus is low tier? I'm pretty sure she should be high tier, no lower, no higher. She is fast, has range, has two stun moves, 3 spikes, 2 different tether recovery's and a third jump, and only lacks in her approach from the air.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
I updated my tier list and made the changes I thought were reasonable.

===
Marth
Wolf
Toon Link

High
=====
Falco
Snake
Fox
Game and Watch
Ice Climbers
Pit
Ike
Olimar
Luigi
Lucario
Metaknight
Lucas
Pikachu
Diddy
R.O.B

Mid
===
ZSS
DeDeDe
Zelda
Sonic
Mario
DK
Ness
Kirby
C. Falcon
Link

Low
=====
Peach
Bowser
Wario
Shiek
Charzard
Ivasaur

bottom
===
Samus
Yoshi
Gannondorf
Why is Wario so low and Lucario so high?

salaboB

Smash Champion
I updated my tier list and made the changes I thought were reasonable.

===
Marth
Wolf
Toon Link

High
=====
Falco
Snake
Fox
Game and Watch
Ice Climbers
Pit
Ike
Olimar
Luigi
Lucario
Metaknight
Lucas
Pikachu
Diddy
R.O.B

Mid
===
ZSS
DeDeDe
Zelda
Sonic
Mario
DK
Ness
Kirby
C. Falcon
Link

Low
=====
Peach
Bowser
Wario
Shiek
Charzard
Ivasaur

bottom
===
Samus
Yoshi
Gannondorf
Where's Jigglypuff gotten off to?

St. Viers

Smash Champion
Emblemlord: Marth definitely isn't top anymore, though he still has some things going for him. His range isn't all that good--bowsers/DKs arms are longer than his sword. Although he can kill at low percents, that ability only helps when you can outspace your opponent as to get the tipper. And as personal skill shouldn't be involved in a tier list (outside of tournie results), that isn't a huge point. He is still beastly, just not as good.

re: bdawg's ego...just play him and beat him. He wins alot, so until people at UMB/ on-line step it up he's entitled. He is also one of the best MK players I've seen for brawl, excepting gimpy. I can't comment on the MK vs Marth matchup, but I can see if being *slightly* better for marth, though I don't think it is...rather even, imvho.

Re: DK/Bowser: they don't suck. They are much better in brawl that they used to be, and many characters are worse. They have great range, pretty quick attacks, and DK ***** in the air. His u-air kills at pretty low percents, and is quick, meaning if they air-dodge he can hit them before they can react out of the airdodge (learned this the hard way today). His d/f tilts are insane for spacing.

As to bowser, play bdawg, and then when I get a wii play me <_<

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Emblemlord: Marth definitely isn't top anymore, though he still has some things going for him. His range isn't all that good--bowsers/DKs arms are longer than his sword. Although he can kill at low percents, that ability only helps when you can outspace your opponent as to get the tipper. And as personal skill shouldn't be involved in a tier list (outside of tournie results), that isn't a huge point. He is still beastly, just not as good.
When making tier lists, we are assuming that both players are highly skilled. As in the Marth and DK/Bowser would both have excellent spacing. In that case, speed would become the next big factor, which Marth excells in as well. Spacing with Marth is easier than spacing with those guys, because he's faster.

His ability to kill at low percents is huge in a game where people live past 120% on average. He already racks damage very quickly and has above average edgeguarding (due to the power and speed of his aerials), which means overall he'll be killing opponents faster than most characters. He's got great offensive game as he's one of the better approachers in this game. He may have no projectile, but he doesn't have much trouble dealing with them either since he has a large array of projectile parrying moves, so the only projectiles that would give him problems are lasers.

Top of the tier list? Definately not.

Top 5 character? Debatable.

Top 10 character? Yes, yes indeed.

So at this point it would just be a matter of how large you consider top tier to be. If the top tier consists of 6 or more characters I could easily see him as the bottom of top tier. We've got Snake, TL, and Metaknight as almost guaranteed somewhere in there, with the other 3 slots up for grabs. How much competition does Marth really have at that point? Even after you add Falco and ROB, there's still room for all three of them.

algandar88

Smash Journeyman
yyou ppl shhould take abreak from making these tier lists cuz many of u *** up with the most ridiculous things....unless u like 2 argue

St. Viers

Smash Champion
yeah, I wasn't comparing dk/booser to marth

I'm saying that comparing him to MK, where MK is quick as well, spacing gives him only a slight advantage.

The booser dk comment was people putting them in low....which is n't deserved, at this point in the tier debate, as in the theory the are both great >_>

blackfox2765

Smash Rookie
Ok well another question is why is lucas so low... i find him amazingly powerful ... up A has alot of down time but AMAZING hit box and AMAZING throw power

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
yeah, I wasn't comparing dk/booser to marth

I'm saying that comparing him to MK, where MK is quick as well, spacing gives him only a slight advantage.
But, it's not just Metaknight. Marth holds this advantage over almost all of the characters. Not many characters can outrange Marth, and those that do are severly lacking in speed when comparing to him. This one important attribute is exactly what gives Marth advantages in his matchups, and what covers his weaknesses.

I'm not saying Marth>Metaknight (though I still think he has a slight advantage in their matchup. But he had an advantage against Fox in melee and still was lower on the tier list). I'm saying that Marth is still good enough to be included somewhere in the top tier.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
^^^please just shut up. You obviously have no clue what you are talking about. Play more talk less.

no offense. just....don't worry about being right. Try actually playing instead. It works

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
I get back online and these happens lol
i guess

STATUS REPORT!
"after using Dk for the first day i noticed he's b-air is amazing in priority and hit box, nock back, start and ending lag(thats a good move lol)"
"he has a nice mind game with runing and then spaming the b-air."
" actually he's aggressive in a possitive way he does way more damage with attacks then melee"

Downfalls
"he's recovery gimpible as a muther scratcher"
"He can't handle punishment well my friend mains mk and punish is mk's middle name. But dk get set up for follow ups."
"lack of projectiles makes him a walking target for falcos and pit's"

Gishnak

Smash Ace
Just throwing this out there, not that it's worth doing or is feasible... But if we could debate each specific match up (36^2 match ups :[ ), wouldn't it be pretty easy to flesh out a mostly accurate tier list? The match ups that people couldn't agree on who is better (or agree the characters are pretty evenly matched) could show the characters that should be lumped together. Obviously the rest is just looking at the results. Again, I'm not saying this is worth doing, just food for thought.

The reason I thought of this is the following: I often read people say "so-and-so-character" has good priority, decent range, good camping game, etc, so he should be top of the middle tier. I think this has some serious flaws. If the tier list was already mostly agreed on, and a new player asked why "so-and-so-character" was the top of middle tier, this may fair well as a short probably correct answer.

But the tier list isn't determined by a character that has many good traits and few flaws alone (yes, these are very important aspects), it's determined by how good the characters are COMPARATIVELY. Which characters have advantages over other specific characters is what's important.

That's why when I look at the tier list, I don't look and see my favorite character in the middle and immediately explain why that character should be higher... I look at the specific characters I play as and against the most (and watch the most tournament level videos of), and decide if I think that in fact one of these characters should be above the other. (Yes, this isn't a perfect system either, one advantageous match up over one higher ranked character isn't often enough to elevate that character).

With all this said, toten times I see ROB posted higher than G&W. I main both of these characters, but I see G&W as a better character. I could go into an argument, but I'd like to hear someone else's first. :D What do people have to say?

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
i respect your idea but that impossible because there would never be a resolve because people get hyped up when there favorite character is put on the choping block but good idea.:)
you guys now how to become a
moderator? i think i'm up for the challenge.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
@Gishnak.

It's not like R.O.B. is bad (because he's definitely got stuff going for him). However I'm also pretty sure G&W is clearly the better character. R.O.B. doesn't nearly have as good of approach and kill options as G&W. G&W also has amazing grab setups and mobility that R.O.B. doesn't have. The only two things R.O.B. does better at than G&W is projectiles and weight.

G&W is top tier. Srsly. People who put him on the high tier over emphasize his light weight. light weight didn't stop Pikachu from being top in 64, nor did it stop Fox, Falco, and Marth from being top in Melee. It certainly doesn't stop G&W from being top since he actually survives longer than most people due to having really good defensive options, so while he may be getting killed at lower percents, he's also taking damage a lot less quickly, and he's never getting ledgeguarded because his recovery is the best in the game.

Gishnak

Smash Ace
A2ZOMG-

I agree. I don't have much experience playing a high level R.O.B. (or quite a few characters, for that matter), but it seems that G&W has a lot going for him. His light weight doesn't seem like much of a problem to me, especially because he is difficult to attack and get ko moves against.

PIMPSLAP-

Perhaps you are up for it, and you browse this forum frequently enough, but you lack of punctuation and your gross misuse of certain words frequently bothers me. Your content seems to warrant your intelligence, but your delivery makes you seem much less educated than the average bear. Please spend the extra second or two per post to add that 'k' onto 'now' so I don't have to reread your sentences to understand them. I don't mean to flame or begin an argument, I just think that clean and easy-to-read posting is an important part of moderators. *shrug*

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
I don't know if you guys ever go on shoryuken.com, but they know their fighting games and Brawl seems to be no exception. Their tier list, which I more or less agree with, is as follows:

Top:
Snake
Toon Link
Falco
Wolf
Marth
Metaknight

High:
Pit
Pikachu
Ice Climbers
King Dedede
R.O.B.
Zelda
Diddy Kong
Game & Watch
Zero Suit Samus
Lucas
Olimar
Luigi
Fox

Mid:
Kirby
Sheik
Ike
Lucario
Peach
Ness
Squirtle
Donkey Kong
Wario
Charizard

Low:
Jigglypuff
Link
Samus
Bowser
Yoshi
Captain Falcon

Bottom:
Sonic
Mario
Ivysaur
Ganondorf

What do you guys think?

rabbitgod

Smash Rookie
why is Ivysaur so low? Though some people will probably want PT as one person.
Also I think that Samus should be above Link, but otherwise this is good.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Shoryuken's current list is clearly false. Don't trust it.

For one, G&W is completely better than all the high tiers listed. Mario is also really good in Brawl (ledgeguarding, good projectile, fast aerial game). Bowser is also good (grab that does 18% wtf, one he can jump with and do infinite midair jump with ftw, he also has high range, priority, and power. His ground game is really threatening). Both Mario and Bowser are better than Peach. Captain Falcon is clearly worse than Ganondorf (Ganondorf combos and kills better than Falcon).

EDIT: Ivysaur also can't be bottom tier if it has good projectile camping and vertical kill options. Its main problem is just it has the worst recovery in the game and a somewhat subpar aerial game, but its ground game and projectile game is GOOD. Bullet seed is also arguably the best Neutral B attack in the game I heard.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
A2ZOMG: rob's fair has almost no wind-down lag, and you can autocancel his n-air. He also has 2 decent projectiles, meaning that he doesn't have to approach. brawl's all about camping, remember. G&W has no good approach moves either...or am I missing one?

Also, mario sucks, and although bowser isn't bad, I think that is the right place for him...maybe a bit higher (I main bowser, so don't even go there). Peach isn't bad at all. People just think she is now that her down-smash and f-throw were nerfed. definately better than mario though. A more versitile projectile, better chances at edgeguarding (it isn't as useful in this game, another reason why mario maybe having a good edgeguard game isn't useful) as she can float out there and punish people who airdodge.

Ganon is the worse character. Again you are letting the fact that falcon isn't hte melee falcon could your judgement, and not looking at his in-brawl strengths. He isn't good, but his speed alone makes him better. Plus the only "combo" ganon has is side B chains, which are easy to get out of.

Ivysaur has no recovery. Also is easy to punish, and her projectile, although good, is too slow without enough control to be spammable, or evn used for control. Although she may have a few matchups where she wouldn't be completely owned (I can imagine a really campy ivysaur taking down a ganon), she isn't a good character. Of course, I feel that having PT not on there is stupid, because when you combine the option of all 3 chars you get a much better character than the sum of the parts.

Shoryuken's list is decent, except that I dislike the placement of some people within high and mid tier.

SwordmasterXXXI

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if you guys ever go on shoryuken.com, but they know their fighting games and Brawl seems to be no exception. Their tier list, which I more or less agree with, is as follows:

Top:
Snake
Toon Link
Falco
Wolf
Marth
Metaknight

High:
Pit
Pikachu
Ice Climbers
King Dedede
R.O.B.
Zelda
Diddy Kong
Game & Watch
Zero Suit Samus
Lucas
Olimar
Luigi
Fox

Mid:
Kirby
Sheik
Ike
Lucario
Peach
Ness
Squirtle
Donkey Kong
Wario
Charizard

Low:
Jigglypuff
Link
Samus
Bowser
Yoshi
Captain Falcon

Bottom:
Sonic
Mario
Ivysaur
Ganondorf

What do you guys think?

IMO, Fox should switch places with Pit. :ohwell:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
A2ZOMG: rob's fair has almost no wind-down lag, and you can autocancel his n-air. He also has 2 decent projectiles, meaning that he doesn't have to approach. brawl's all about camping, remember. G&W has no good approach moves either...or am I missing one?
G&W can autocancel N-airs too, which are better than R.O.B.'s F-air in terms of range and priority. Plus, G&W's B-air destroys shields and has gay range. G&W is the better approacher.

G&W also counter camps with Down B, which has a TON of knockback (0% kills wtf). He can also duck under most projectile spam while R.O.B. can't, and G&W does in fact have projectile spam of his own. And it's underrated. It's actually quite good. Does 4% a pop, can be spammed very quickly, and it covers a lot of trajectories at a GREAT range.

Also, G&W's D-smash by far is a better kill option than anything R.O.B. has. This attack is amazingly broken. It's very fast, can be D-throwed into, and it kills both completely horizontally, or straight up. It's super super strong at both sweetspot and nonsweetspot btw, and some of the hitbox is invisible.

Also, mario sucks, and although bowser isn't bad, I think that is the right place for him...maybe a bit higher (I main bowser, so don't even go there). Peach isn't bad at all. People just think she is now that her down-smash and f-throw were nerfed. definately better than mario though. A more versitile projectile, better chances at edgeguarding (it isn't as useful in this game, another reason why mario maybe having a good edgeguard game isn't useful) as she can float out there and punish people who airdodge.
No, Mario is definitely better than Peach. Mario's projectile is better than Peach's because he can spam it faster and use it to approach better, not to mention it protects him from ledgeguarding way better in Brawl. Peach's projectile gets destroyed on shields anyhow, and others can catch it easily, so it sucks. Mario's FLUDD + Cape >>> Peach's ledgeguard game. His ledgeguarding game is REALLY GOOD. Just because others can't ledgeguard, that doesn't mean Mario's ledgeguard game sucks. FLUDD can be used onstage to gimp some recoveries, while it also makes other recoveries much easier to ledgeguard by putting them in a bad position. Cape pushes people away from stage and reverses directional orientation of opponents, which also gimps very effectively. Mario also has a meteor smash, while Peach doesn't on a side note.

And Bowser is better than Peach. He loses out marginally in recovery and aerial mobility (Bowser's aerial mobility is GOOD. Forward B infinite midair jump allows this). He wins MASSIVELY in weight, range, priority, damage, knockback, and grab range. He's also better at approaching both on the ground and in the air.

Most importantly, Peach does not have good combos or kill options to answer to any of this. Plus, her recovery is BAD in Brawl. Her Up-B sucks pretty hard, and she lost float time and height on her double jump.

Ganon is the worse character. Again you are letting the fact that falcon isn't hte melee falcon could your judgement, and not looking at his in-brawl strengths. He isn't good, but his speed alone makes him better. Plus the only "combo" ganon has is side B chains, which are easy to get out of.
I've played Falcon and gotten used to him. Falcon's "combo setups" SUCK. Everything he does is too slow and sends people too far for him to reasonably follow up with combos. Also, Falcon can't kill at reasonable percents because his kill options all suck. Ganondorf's Side B allows him to also get guaranteed jabs, I think D-tilts, and tech punishing. It's also a BLOODY GRAB, so he can actually approach (Falcon can't). Plus, Ganondorf can D-air autocancel just like Falcon, but his D-air is 100x more powerful. Ganondorf also has GOOD kill options in F-tilt, Dash attack, Down-B, and Jab. Falcon can't kill with those ever. Ganondorf also has one hax counterpick stage (Brinstar). Falcon doesn't have any good counterpick stage.

Remember, Pichu and Mewtwo both had amazing ground movement in Melee. Bottom tier. Same **** here with Falcon except it's even worse, because he doesn't have grab range, priority, kill options, combos, or projectiles. Running speed is one of the least critical attributes in Brawl. Falcon's attack speed btw sucks, so he's easy to anticipate. Ganondorf doesn't lose by a whole lot in attack speed, but he manages to kill unlike Falcon.

Falcon is the worst character in the game. He has no real advantages. Everyone else does.

Ivysaur has no recovery. Also is easy to punish, and her projectile, although good, is too slow without enough control to be spammable, or evn used for control. Although she may have a few matchups where she wouldn't be completely owned (I can imagine a really campy ivysaur taking down a ganon), she isn't a good character. Of course, I feel that having PT not on there is stupid, because when you combine the option of all 3 chars you get a much better character than the sum of the parts.
I wasn't saying Ivysaur was high tier (because that of course isn't true). Ivysaur is just clearly not bottom tier. Ivysaur's projectile spam is good. You can spam at a decent rate, and the razor leaves have decent size, so you can camp people with Ivysaur. And remember what I said, Ivysaur can kill vertically extremely well, which is also critical in Brawl. It also has Bullet Seed, which is one of the best neutral B attacks in the game.

Shoryuken's list is decent, except that I dislike the placement of some people within high and mid tier.
I beg to differ of course.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
I beg to differ of course.

everyone has the right to disagree with me >_> They just are wrong *tongue in cheek* XP

seriously, I think you are over estimating mario, and underestimating falcon, but we'll see when people actually know how to play well (me included) ^_^

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Well anyhow I'm one of few Mario mains, so I can tell you that he's GOOD.

Plus, M2K discovered Mario has an infinite Jab lock from an N-air. Having an infinite >>> not having an infinite.

Okay Captain Falcon has a wall infinite over Ganondorf, but those are banned. So that doesn't count. He still has completely inferior combo and kill options.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
i respect your idea but that impossible because there would never be a resolve because people get hyped up when there favorite character is put on the choping block but good idea.:)
you guys now how to become a
moderator? i think i'm up for the challenge.
I think the rule is "don't ask".

Trust me, you don't want to be a moderator, it's more hassle than it's worth. Personally I'd rather become a debater anyway, because I love doing that, so it takes little effort. On the other hand, I hate being BOUND to deal with stupid people.

Also, generally people are just generally biased toward their character and use their favoritism as an argument. I'm definitely biased toward MK, but I also have a solid grasp of a bunch of other characters, not to mention that I'm just generally decent. But having someone who actually knows how to play Brawl (Melee players don't count....lulz Marth being top tier) single out a few characters and talk about them helps a lot. Like, I know a lot about Meta Knight, Bowser, Luigi, and DK both from playing with and against those characters, so I know what I'm talking about when I say they're all good. But I don't have a lot of experience with IC's, Pit, or Wario, so it's not entirely my place to put them somewhere, although I can certainly try.

scrubadub

Smash Rookie
I'm going to agree with A2ZOMG on most accounts regarding GW though he may be overrating a tiny bit. GW is definitely near the top of high tier if not top tier. His Bair is one of the best approach moves in the game and almost unpunishable w/ little to no landing lag. And while he is light, his smashes have amazing killing power, killing at below average percentages for brawl, so that evens that out. His smashes also come out quickly and have good range and priority.
Furthermore, he is one of the very few characters that doesn't have a projectile but can effectively counter campers. In a tournament scene that is camp heavy, that is HUGE. The bucket ruins characters that have a projectile as a big part of their game.

bucket >>> pit, samus, lucario, pikachu, zelda, ness, lucas
bucket > space animals, mario, luigi
bucket < fruity link, snake and olimar unfortunately b/c they're very common in tournaments

MK should be about the same as GW on the tier list. His speed, range, and priority alone make him very tournament worthy. I know he has a lack of killing power, but it's a bit overstated simply because he can rack up damage so quickly. So really... what is an extra 20-30% for MK? He can make up that difference in seconds. And yes, he is very light but his range, speed and priority makes him very difficult to hit, let alone smash. Throw in the fact that he can not be edgeguarded b/c tornado gives him an easy ticket back to the stage. MK will be winning a lot of tournaments. He and GW have top tier potential, but I'd put them near the top of high tier for now.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
Why does everyone think Mario is bad? IMO, he's at least mid tier. Nothing higher, and nothing lower.
Mario has the same problem as Falcon...he got screwed by the Brawl game engine, but he's still good, you just have to adapt. I've been too lazy to make him work, but he isn't too bad.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
I disagree with the placement of Samus on the tier list in this one. See, her only real flaw is that she can't kill people by KO, she has to gimp recovery. The same was the case with certain characters in Melee who were considered mid-tier. Mario comes to mind.
IMO the bottom tier should be Ivysaur and Sonic. I don't think Mario and Ganon deserve to be that low.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Ok well another question is why is lucas so low... i find him amazingly powerful ... up A has alot of down time but AMAZING hit box and AMAZING throw power
True. Also dont forget about other things, like his PK Fire knockback and wavebouncing ability.

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
Both Ness and Lucas are mid tier, Snake is high, Ganondorf, Yoshi and Sonic are all bottom tier no higher. Ike is definetly Top tier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom