• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sh1n0b1

Smash Journeyman
I'm curious about the comparisons between Fox/Falco. Most people seem to be putting Falco higher, I'm not saying there wrong, since I don't have much experience with either of them, I'm just curious for the reasons. From what I have seen Falco's advantages are that he has a chaingrab, his laser is better, and he has a good spike. But Fox seems better at a lot of other things too, like having a better shine, and what appears to me to be an overall better aerial game, as well as more effective KO moves. So what makes Falco better?
I suppose they put Falco higher because he can chaingrab until 90%. Also his forward smash is more powerful and has better range then fox. His back air also IMO seems better than fox's because it comes out quicker and has no lag whatsoever. His neutral air can land alot of hits. His fair has poor lag at the landing animation so i'd say fox's is better. Falco has a useable spike move. Fox's laser has limited range while falco's doesn't. On top of that falco's laser stuns as well. That is just my opinion.

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
It seems like the top tier will probably consist of:
Metaknight
Marth
Wolf
Lucas
Snake

Not in any order but these 5 have been ggoing around on smashboards as the best, but I won't believe a tier list until a real one goes out from the back room

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord

*Cries*

If only it were true. Only two swordsman got the shaft in this game, Link and Ike.

The board recently discovered that any fast characters can actually interrupt the Jab combo with aerials. That's aerials, as in things that are capable of killing you. I practically gave up on Ike as a competitive character right then and there.
I've non this for some time my friend.
I like just ignored like 5 tier list.

Day 2 Wrap up for DK:
Pros:
1. I fell in love with his B-air (he's best move) in my opinion.
2. He has U-air Combo potential like in melee. (quickly racks up 40 to 50 damage with up smash to up air at low percents)
3. He's Forward Air is a awesome spike move on characters that have slow start up attacks.
Cons:
1.Toon link is a very very hard match up.
2.Dk Recovery is so easy to punish. It's almost as bad as olimar.

Um i did not wanna read from where i last responded at so yea.

Top Tier:
Snake
G&W
Falco
MK

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
Anyone who thinks DK is low/bottom is stupid without knowing anything about him. He's great. Watch someone actually play DK.

This thread is a joke at this point in time. :dizzy:

Isnt tiers suposed to be tournament results?

blindghost

Smash Apprentice
Anyone who thinks DK is low/bottom is stupid without knowing anything about him. He's great. Watch someone actually play DK.

Isnt tiers suposed to be tournament results?
tiers are about how good a character is without human interference. A top tier character will require:
low lag
low charge
easy combos
good recovery
multiple killing moves

and should have (but don't need):
super armor
disjointed hit boxes
ranged attack
good airials
low error %

This thread is a joke at this point in time. :dizzy:
But I still think a lot of this thread is wasted opinions and firsthand accounts of the fluke godlike players using low tier characters. Some characters just aren't as good. Done.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Other than that Game and Watch had a surprise showing of greatness as he was the only one capable of beating dedede after the tournament was over simply by out maneuvering him, and frying pan spam.

Whilst he shouldn't belong in the God Tier I'd certainly place him somewhere in the High.
No way, G&W is significantly better than all the suggested high tiers. His only real weakness is weight. That's fairly minor.

And really, he's got the best approach in the game. He's also got some of the best kill options, best overall aerial attacks, AMAZING mobility, AMAZING recovery, awesome grab setups (D-throw techchase ftw), good projectile spam, and great ways to counter projectile spam.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Nope. He CAN deflect projectile spam with aerials reliably though. Not to mention duck under things like SHLs.

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
I think that G&W is a high tier but not able to be top beacuse at around 90% his weight factor come into play. If you hit G&W with an up smash or up tilt G&W can put him in trouble if you dont use d-air to cancel vertical knockback. Also he has slow smashes, which caueses huge problems to get a low % KO beacuse he dont have a spike and most is aerials dont have super good knockback

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
G&W takes damage more slowly than most characters. His defensive options are GOOD in Brawl. So he's not actually getting killed that quickly. He's getting killed at low percents yes, but it's hard to hit him in the first place. Add the fact he can dish out damage very fast, and kill at low percents, you have an amazing character.

Slow Smashes? That's mainly the U-smash. His D-smash is SUPER SUPER FAST and can be D-throwed into. The D-smash non-sweetspotted is a super strong semi-spike, which can gimp. They aren't nearly as slow as Ike's Smashes, but they are like nearly as strong.

G&W has a spike. The D-air on opening frames. He can also Footstool jump to D-air.

His aerials have GREAT knockback. His F-air, D-air, and U-air are among few that can kill reasonably. Factor in that his other aerials are still extremely useful, such as the B-air and N-air for approaching, and the U-air for wind stalling or for vertical kills.

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
No way, G&W is significantly better than all the suggested high tiers. His only real weakness is weight. That's fairly minor.

And really, he's got the best approach in the game. He's also got some of the best kill options, best overall aerial attacks, AMAZING mobility, AMAZING recovery, awesome grab setups (D-throw techchase ftw), good projectile spam, and great ways to counter projectile spam.
Yet you speak the truth again my friend i'm proud of you.:)
Ice Climbers are getting more and more tourny wins they might reach top tier.
They Zero to Death incredibly easy now i mean it. There chain grab is amazing
i mean you can't even move because they catch you before your response time.

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
G&W has to much going for him all of what omg is saying and more this guy has random mindgames that make pressure characters not apply pressure them. Because G&W out pressures them.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
When I was first playing Brawl, I was thinking to myself "Holy crap. What the hell have they been feeding to Zelda and Mr. Game and Watch? I want some of that, so I can give it to Samus."

neo_sporin

Smash Cadet
I think that G&W is a high tier but not able to be top beacuse at around 90% his weight factor come into play. If you hit G&W with an up smash or up tilt G&W can put him in trouble if you dont use d-air to cancel vertical knockback. Also he has slow smashes, which caueses huge problems to get a low % KO beacuse he dont have a spike and most is aerials dont have super good knockback
So I'm guessing you havnt played much with GW? His d-air spikes (yes a tough spike to be consistent with but it can spike if you hit in the first few frames). his Fair may not have "super good knockback" but it has super knockback also. Additionally, his dmash lack of lag is amazing.

But as much as I love him I feel in the coming months vs TOOn, olimar, and climbers he will fall from grace even though so far I've been keeping all my friends at bay who use the aforementioned characters...but they aren't that good except for the climbers guy. Another friend uses Zsuit but an easy matchup

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
When I was first playing Brawl, I was thinking to myself "Holy crap. What the hell have they been feeding to Zelda and Mr. Game and Watch? I want some of that, so I can give it to Samus."
samaus is not bad just Press z alot alot when you jump and learn to space and oull be fine.

sblkbrn

Smash Cadet
It seems like the top tier will probably consist of:
Metaknight
Marth
Wolf
Lucas
Snake

Not in any order but these 5 have been ggoing around on smashboards as the best, but I won't believe a tier list until a real one goes out from the back room

Meta Knight is definately top tier to me. I do not play with him, but his mid range weapon and speed, and strong smash and up b recovery + attack is amazing. In my opinion if the right person plays with him he is unbeatable.

Marth is good but not top tier to me, he seems weaker than before but too many people use counter to spam which is not skilled.

Wolf is okay, but IMO Falco is better on tiers.

Lucas is good, faster, but to me Ness has the best moves and potential of knockings out his opponents.

Snake is great, played with right person, but too me he is too slow and deserves a High tier ranking not top.

Pit and Olimar could be top tier... lets see.

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
olimar will never be top tier to gimbible....
Snake is awesome mindgame and has the best defense in the ENTIER GAME....

Tino's White Horse

Smash Journeyman
lol what the problem all is white horse?
It's not as bad as allisbrawl.com thread.
These tier lists are either 90% POPULARITY biased or just plain tourney***gy.

I am not saying they suck, but they need some revision.

For example:

-Pit
-Fox
-Lucas - In my opinion Lucas is one of the best characters in the game due to his Variety of projectiles and the amount of killing moves (All Smashes can kill. up smash in particular has the ability to kill at low 70s and Lucas has some invincible frames during the attack. Along with his U special for edge-guarding and chasing the smash ball) Lucas is IMO one of the top character in SSBB ( i don't main Lucas)
-Marth
-Wolf

High
-Toon Link
-Falco
-G&W
-Zero suit Samus
-MetaKnight
-Diddy Kong
-Zelda

Medium-high
-Olimar
-Link
-Snake
-Pikachu
-Sonic
-Ike
-Sheik
-Kirby
-Lucario

Medium-Low
-Ness
-R.O.B.
-Pokemon Trainer
-Mario
-Samus
-Luigi
-Dedede

Low
-DK
-Ice Climbers
-JigglyPuff
-Wario
-Yoshi
-Captain Falcon
-Peach

Bottom
-Bowser
-Ganondorf
What the **** is Ganondorf doing all the way down there? And Wolf; while superior in some ways to Falco and Fox; is NOt a Top Tier...

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
If you can find my tier list somewhere on here i put ganon low on my tier list souly based on tournament wins. Thats it not being biased at all. He's has not won a tournament yet thats why he's there. wolf does not when as much as falco MK G&W and snake so he's high tier...
Thank you for backing what you say alot of people don't do that.

Tino's White Horse

Smash Journeyman
If you can find my tier list somewhere on here i put ganon low on my tier list souly based on tournament wins. Thats it not being biased at all. He's has not won a tournament yet thats why he's there. wolf does not when as much as falco MK G&W and snake so he's high tier...
Thank you for backing what you say alot of people don't do that.
Why do people take everything sos eriously.

Not ALL of them .Some I can actually agree on. A few tweaks here and there, but they suit me.

I DID say 90%, not 100%...

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
i was saying true to your commet and misslile canceling is when you light jump and shoot a misslie write before you hit the ground(takes a little time to get used to it) the immeditally shoot another missile and that will shoot your missiles closer together and apply more pressure to your oppenent look up phanna on youtube and look for double missiles i call it missile canceling sorry if you already knew that..

Corigames

Smash Hero
Corey chill, it was probally my fault i said it wrong.
Nah, how about I not chill? I don't feel like it right now. I want to go flame some more n00bs who don't know what MCing is while debating if the Gornell should be the new name for the Super Wave Dash and trying to understand that Samus' bombs just aren't as effective anymore. That's just me.

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
lolz be nice to the new guys... you and i know these things and we as veterans of smashboards should share them and inform the new guys.
I wasn't trying to be mean towards you man i hope you know that. I love SWDing even though i kinda suck at it. I use Samus to counter fox in melee up b out of sheild PWNS.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I pwned with Samus. I can SWD consistantly in that game. PMC on Pokemon stadium and yoshi story was the ****. And, for some reason, they decided to nerf the F out of all of her attacks. Fine. What I don't get is that while they nerfed her, other good characters got BUFFED! Look at Marth! Now, instead of combo-ing into a Dair for a kill, any of his aerials can kill. Sweet, becauses we all know Marth was totally lame in melee.

Samus took a little skill to play in melee, but, in Brawl, she sucks too much play.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
i was saying true to your commet and misslile canceling is when you light jump and shoot a misslie write before you hit the ground(takes a little time to get used to it) the immeditally shoot another missile and that will shoot your missiles closer together and apply more pressure to your oppenent look up phanna on youtube and look for double missiles i call it missile canceling sorry if you already knew that..
Oh, I know about that.
The way you worded it I thought there was something called 'true missile canceling.' Missile canceling is second nature to me in Brawl and in Melee, but it was easier in Melee.

aznxk3vi17

Smash Cadet
Nah, how about I not chill? I don't feel like it right now. I want to go flame some more n00bs who don't know what MCing is while debating if the Gornell should be the new name for the Super Wave Dash and trying to understand that Samus' bombs just aren't as effective anymore. That's just me.
I could say the same about "n00bs" who don't know what commas are. Your rage over a mistake made partly due to your own misuse of the English language is slightly amusing, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom