• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanBison

Smash Cadet
the secret is out, stripes or bars hasn't played brawl yet.

Where do you think ROB, sonic, olimar, fox, and bowser will be on the tier list?

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
the secret is out, stripes or bars hasn't played brawl yet.

Where do you think ROB, sonic, olimar, fox, and bowser will be on the tier list?
That'd explain the complete oversight on his part. He hasn't posted again yet....that's enough picking on him though :)

Everyone says Olimar for top tier, and I think people with good spacing and camping will do him that justice, despite having such a not so hot recovery. Bowser will be high tier somewhere, just because of raw power and range and priority and speed. ROB will be high up on the general list, possibly top tier, but definitely near the top of high tier at the least.

I'm not so sure about Sonic, just because it depends heavily on who has the patience to go a full match without being predictable. But he doesn't have a lot of range and priority, so speed will only help him if he makes people mess up....he is just fast enough to punish everyone except, say, Pikachu.

EDIT: I hope you were asking me XD

Jing)

Smash Apprentice
Hmmmm.

Lets see.

In Melee:

Bair, Nair, Dair, Fsmash, Dsmash(edge), Uptilt(on the edge), super missle and charge shot all killed at at least 70-80%.

In Brawl, not one of Samus' moves kills before 120%.

I just owned you.

So please STFU.
your an idiot. for one, kill % isnt the only thing that matters quite obviously, many samus attacks got boosted, zair is godly, and btw, dtilt alone kills jiggs at 105% and like 10 others at 110-115%:p and fsmash is better and her dair has more range soz..

So please STFU???

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
your an idiot. for one, kill % isnt the only thing that matters quite obviously, many samus attacks got boosted, zair is godly, and btw, dtilt alone kills jiggs at 105% and like 10 others at 110-115%:p and fsmash is better and her dair has more range soz..

So please STFU???
Your post totally emasculated all that is grammar.

Also, I already tore this guy a new one, we don't need to beat this point to death even more.

Thanks yet again for backing me up, guys.

Sh1n0b1

Smash Journeyman
That's funny, because it seems that Bowser has gotten majorly nerfed as well, since not one of his moves kill before 100%.

Also, DK's punch doesn't even kill until after 70%. His fsmash doesn't kill until about 90%, nor does his usmash. I forget what it was in Melee, but that seems a little high for DK.

And don't even get me started on Fox, he was nerfed right into hell, his usmash doesn't kill until 100%, and the rest of his smash attacks are meh.

Here's a thought, maybe it's just generally harder to kill people? I mean, Bowser and DK are the heavyweights, and they don't even kill until about 100%, realistically speaking. Ike has a lot of obscene killing moves, but even he doesn't kill realistically until about 80%. The only character that has an easy time killing as far as fast attacks and percentages is Snake, who just has ridiculous-***** tilts. But even then, you have to get a real good tilt on someone. I'm not even going to bother looking up the percentage, let's just say for the sake of argument that on your average stage, his attacks kill at around 80%. That's still high for such a strong killer.

So if you want to say Samus was nerfed, go right ahead, because in the sense that her attacks don't kill at 80% like they did in Melee, she WAS nerfed. But this ain't Melee, nubcake. This is Brawl, where the death range was raised altogether, and not only has she remained unchanged in relation to the general killing percentile, she also does well, seeing as how she isn't forced to combo in order to be viable as she would have been in Melee.
This is a very good argument. Realistically the best percent anyone can really kill at in this game is at like 80%.

D

Deleted member

Your post totally emasculated all that is grammar.

Also, I already tore this guy a new one, we don't need to beat this point to death even more.

Thanks yet again for backing me up, guys.
All of the people with recent join dates unite under one leader =P Rob is top tier, he can camp arguably the best, he has weight, easy to kill, and can WoP foes into oblivion without a sweat (say hello to 35% kills wolf and olimar =P)

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
That'd explain the complete oversight on his part. He hasn't posted again yet....that's enough picking on him though :)

Everyone says Olimar for top tier, and I think people with good spacing and camping will do him that justice, despite having such a not so hot recovery. Bowser will be high tier somewhere, just because of raw power and range and priority and speed. ROB will be high up on the general list, possibly top tier, but definitely near the top of high tier at the least.

I'm not so sure about Sonic, just because it depends heavily on who has the patience to go a full match without being predictable. But he doesn't have a lot of range and priority, so speed will only help him if he makes people mess up....he is just fast enough to punish everyone except, say, Pikachu.

EDIT: I hope you were asking me XD
..........wha.......??????? Bdawg why? whay say things like this...... we need to get your to some tournaments fast.

StripesOrBars

Smash Master
That's funny, because it seems that Bowser has gotten majorly nerfed as well, since not one of his moves kill before 100%.

Also, DK's punch doesn't even kill until after 70%. His fsmash doesn't kill until about 90%, nor does his usmash. I forget what it was in Melee, but that seems a little high for DK.

And don't even get me started on Fox, he was nerfed right into hell, his usmash doesn't kill until 100%, and the rest of his smash attacks are meh.

Here's a thought, maybe it's just generally harder to kill people? I mean, Bowser and DK are the heavyweights, and they don't even kill until about 100%, realistically speaking. Ike has a lot of obscene killing moves, but even he doesn't kill realistically until about 80%. The only character that has an easy time killing as far as fast attacks and percentages is Snake, who just has ridiculous-***** tilts. But even then, you have to get a real good tilt on someone. I'm not even going to bother looking up the percentage, let's just say for the sake of argument that on your average stage, his attacks kill at around 80%. That's still high for such a strong killer.

So if you want to say Samus was nerfed, go right ahead, because in the sense that her attacks don't kill at 80% like they did in Melee, she WAS nerfed. But this ain't Melee, nubcake. This is Brawl, where the death range was raised altogether, and not only has she remained unchanged in relation to the general killing percentile, she also does well, seeing as how she isn't forced to combo in order to be viable as she would have been in Melee.

You said only 3 of her moves got nerfed.

You were wrong and I made a fool outta yo arse.

And now you try and change the subject?

LOL.

So please STFU???

LOLOLOL.

What does that have to do with all of her attacks being nerfed?

All of those attacks you mentioned killed at lower percents in melee than you mentioned about how they did in Brawl.

Hmmmmm.

And you fire back at me with

"Samus is a good character and can kill Jigglypuff @105%!!!!! Total pwnage bro".

LOL.

Eat **** kid.

I'm outta here before I get banned because of you idiots who never even touched Melee.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I can't believe I'm contributing to this nonsense, but I was bored at work so I made this.

Metaknight
Snake
Pit
Toon Link
Dedede

High
Marth
Falco
Wolf
Lucas
Olimar

Mid
ROB
Diddy
Pikachu
ICs
Fox
Sheik
G&W
Pkmn Trainer
Luigi
Samus
Zelda
DK
Kirby
Mario

Low
Zamus
Ness
Ike
Peach
Yoshi
Lucario
Wario

Bottom
Bowser
C. Falcon
Jiggs
Sonic
G.dorf

Ace83

Smash Journeyman
one thing is for sure, determining which characters are "better" than others will be much harder in this game than it was for melee.

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
Nice list Jam Stunna but I think marth and wolf should be in the top like most people are saying around smashboards, also i dont think zamus would be that low, she should get a spot in the middle for sure with quick combos and a better than average recovery

Corigames

Smash Hero
one thing is for sure, determining which characters are "better" than others will be much harder in this game than it was for melee.
Why? There are still God character, good characters, and crap characters. There are just 10 (more after you include alternate like trainer, etc.) more character to add in. You still have your non-playables like Yoshi and your **** monsters like Marth. That reeks of tiers.

The only reason it would be harder is that we a) haven't had too many national tournaments, like, any... b) have more characters to juggle at one time.

ellelaby's younger brother

Smash Apprentice
I can't believe I'm contributing to this nonsense, but I was bored at work so I made this.

Metaknight
Snake
Pit
Toon Link
Dedede

High
Marth
Falco
Wolf
Lucas
Olimar

Mid
ROB
Diddy
Pikachu
ICs
Fox
Sheik
G&W
Pkmn Trainer
Luigi
Samus
Zelda
DK
Kirby
Mario

Low
Zamus
Ness
Ike
Peach
Yoshi
Lucario
Wario

Bottom
Bowser
C. Falcon
Jiggs
Sonic
G.dorf

I don't agree with this.

How can Dedede be higher than Falco when Falco has the advantage?

How can Pit be higher than someone like Marth or Falco when hes pretty much one of the shallowest characters?

Actually, I can't believe how you came up with that Dedede being in the top tier list. It's impossible.

MK can't be god tier, no way. He really doesn't have as much kill potential as characters such as Snake or Falco and other characters too. I really would like people to realise that in tournaments, people are trying to KO each other as fast as possible, not rack up the damage and waste time racking more damage up and then KOing. It's common sense, MK may rival God tier, but he can't be right up there.

GammarageEX

Smash Rookie
Well apparently Nigerian Star Storm already brought it up, but I've changed my Tier list from then, Now it looks like this,

Top Tier:
Snake
Meta Knight
Falco
Wolf
Toon Link
Marth

High Tier:
R.O.B.
Diddy Kong
Mr. Game and Watch
Zelda
Pit
King Dedede
Ice Climbers
Pikachu
Lucas
Ness
Zero Suit Samus
Fox
Olimar

Mid Tier:
Pokemon Trainer
Luigi
Lucario
Kirby
Bowser
Wario
Peach
Sheik
lke
Donkey Kong

Low tier:
Mario
Yoshi
Sonic
Samus
Jigglypuff
Captain Falcon
Link
Ganondorf

Anyways comment

Sonork

Smash Cadet
I liked Jam Stunna's list, but moved some characters around to where I think they go. Bowser is not a horrible character in this game, I think lots of people who haven't tried him are just throwing him at the bottem cause he was there in melee. G&W is crazy in brawl, hes deffinately high/top imo. Flame away, these are just my opinions though.

Marth
Snake
Wolf

High
G&W
Metaknight
ROB
Pit
Toon Link
Dedede
Falco
Lucas
Pikachu
Olimar
Zelda

Mid
Diddy
ICs
Fox
Luigi
Sheik
Zelda
Ike
Zamus
Pkmn Trainer
DK
Kirby
Bowser
Mario

Low
Samus
Ness
Peach
Yoshi
Lucario
Wario

Bottom
C. Falcon
Jiggs
Sonic
G.dorf

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I honestly don't believe Lucario should be in mid. He has the stats to make a low high.

Lucario has probably got the best hitboxes in the game, and some of the best ground statistics right off the bat, WITHOUT any aura modifier. There's a huge lack of lag on most of his attacks, even his slower smashes. Said smashes have more range than Marth's Fsmash, and half the ending lag time.

His tilts cover him from all sides and each one has stupidly good priority along with insane range. And unlike Marth, who has similar range in most cases, Lucario's hitboxes stay out a lot longer and linger. His Ftilt even hits twice and occasionally shieldstabs, and has a huge hitbox with hardly any lag to it at all.

Lucario also has a 0>80% actual inescapable chain throw on heavier characters like Snake at the start of a stock, and he gains a slight aura boost if he's behind a stock too.

Speaking of the aura boost, by the time Lucaro is at 70% already, his Ftilt alone will be doing around 14% each hit, which is insane for something so fast and safe.

He has an incredible off-stag gimping game thanks to his Fair which can be done repeatedly and has a large, lingering hitbox with a fairly reliable knockback. And his throws (most noticably his back throw) have hardly any lag to them and a fair bit of konockback, making his off-stage antics even more impressive.

Aura sphere is also an excellent projectile, giving Lucario the option to camp and control his opponent's movements, which is important in Brawl. His evasive and defensive abilities are also top-notch, with a very fast side dodge and a great out of shield game. All of these are important in Brawl's defense-oriented playstyle.

I'm probably repeating myself here, but he outranges most characters in the game with his Ftilt alone. It can be used to approach, for defense, for offense, for whatever. Lucario also doesn't have so much of a problem switching from defensive to offensive when the need arises.

And his aerial game is as solid as his ground game, with Dair being a huge mind-game attack as well as just having insane range and priority, with shield stabbing ability, KO potential, wrecks shields, hardly any lag, eats through other attacks, etc.

His AAA combo is special, it has more stun time and less lag than almost any other, allowing him to reliably combo into force palm after landing the first two hits. This deals a lot of damage for such a fast and reliable attack. It is also disjointed, just like every other aura attack that Lucario uses. He has two aerials that have next to no lag time on landing, giving him a great pressure game aerially too.

He has more recovery options than most would be lead to think thanks to the curve that can be applied to Extremespeed and the ledge-clinging properties of the move.

He also has very few bad match ups, because he has the tools to deal with a lot of different situations. He probably has more chance against swordsmen like Marth and Toon Link than most of the rest of the cast, and not many characters really seem to shut him down.

I really think he should be somewhere at the bottom of high, or at least near the very top of mid tier.

zaf

Smash Lord
Hmmmm.

Lets see.

In Melee:

Bair, Nair, Dair, Fsmash, Dsmash(edge), Uptilt(on the edge), super missle and charge shot all killed at at least 70-80%.

In Brawl, not one of Samus' moves kills before 120%.

I just owned you.

So please STFU.
i've been killed by a samus at around 80% with a d-smash

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
You don't understand.

All that is nice and Lucario is awesome, but if he is high tier at best then that means he probably has more bad match-ups then you realize or he doesnt have alot of match-ups where he has alot of advantage, which is probably the case.

Tier list are based on match-ups.

So if you know in your gut that Lucario can only be high tier at best then you really need to take a second look at his match-ups.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
You don't understand.

All that is nice and Lucario is awesome, but if he is high tier at best then that means he probably has more bad match-ups then you realize or he doesnt have alot of match-ups where he has alot of advantage, which is probably the case.

Tier list are based on match-ups.

So if you know in your gut that Lucario can only be high tier at best then you really need to take a second look at his match-ups.
The reason I want to put Lucario in high tier at best is because he has a very very sharp learning curve, and can only be played effectively by people with a patient and defense-oriented mindset. That is, he's not a character that anyone can pick up and be good with. He has the TOOLS to take on just about any character in the game evenly. He has trouble with Olimar and Toon Link and possibly one or two of the space animals, but a lot of people will flail around with Lucario and decide he's weak.

He's not a character that impresses right off the bat like Lucas or Marth. But fine, if you want me to be totally honest, I believe Lucario could very well be a top tier contender given his opponents being Marth (whom he matches rather evenly with, if not with a slight advantage of being able to projectile spam), Wolf, (who he matches for range and priority as well as campiness, and he most certainly has the advantage in gimping) and Snake(whom he has a 0-90% chain grab against, and plenty of close-range options to deal with those hard-hitting Snake strikes.)

As for good match ups...Lucario does very well against characters like Metaknight, Pit, and other light but fast hitters with few KO moves, because by the time he gets past 70%, he's already become a semi-powerhouse with huge disjointed hitboxes and safety all around, who can fire off huge half-charged aura spheres bigger than a watermelon in a quarter of a second. And Lucario's no lightweight. Double Team also works wonders against opponents who like to rely on constant safe attack strings (like Mr. Game and Watch or Metaknight) providing the player is good with timing. The same can be said about Marth's counter.

Oh, I forgot to mention that at around 100% or so, Lucario has a really cheezy edgeguard against anyone who needs to recover by clinging to the ledge. If you turn your back to the ledge and charge an aura sphere on it, it severely limits your opponents's options. If they try to attack from the ledge, they'll get shocked by the massive aura ball. If they try to roll up onto the edge, Lucario can just belt them with it at the end of their roll. If they jump, the thing is so big they'll get caught in it on the way up. And if they try to DI past it, Lucario can cancel it straight into a grab and just throw them over the edge.

But realistically, I don't see him being popular enough to make top tier from a tournament status.

GONZLAMM

Smash Apprentice
dk is absolutley top tier this time. he is my main character fo sho. thanks to the lack of l-cancel and the much slower pase of brawl he dominates.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Popularity means nothing.

It's all about match-ups.

That is what the list is based on.

Also you overrate Aura sphere, but other then that Lucario is pretty solid.

And I don't think he does well vs alot of the top tiers. I think he has disadvantage to alot of them or breaks even.

You don't talk about his weaknesses much. Like his low mobility and how he is forced to approach vs people that camp him but thanks to his low speed and mobility this makes him more predictable and easier to zone. His smashes are very safe, but they are slow to come out and U-smash ain't that hot. His tilts are not as safe. If they are blocked then he is punishable. He is also pretty easy to gimp. By far one of the easiest to gimp. Yeah he can wall cling, but that matters little since your opponent can just ledge drop to fair or w/e and stage spike him since Extreme Speed has no hitbox. If he goes on stage you can just wreck him and get him back off the stage or kill him.

Also let's get this straight and it's not even debatable. Lucario is not a good camper. Falco is a good camper. Toon Link is a good camper. Pit is a good camper. Lucario can't compare to them in this department. He is a good comboer until his oppenents get to higher percents. Then he can't do much in terms of damage unless he has some damage himself.

You also overestimate his range. Only F-smash, U-smash, and Force Palm have insane range. The rest have good range.

You compare Lucario to Marth alot.

You should stop that. They are completely different beast.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master

Also you overrate Aura sphere, but other then that Lucario is pretty solid.

And I don't think he does well vs alot of the top tiers. I think he has disadvantage to alot of them or breaks even.

You don't talk about his weaknesses much. Like his low mobility and how he is forced to approach vs people that camp him but thanks to his low speed and mobility this makes him more predictable and easier to zone. His smashes are very safe, but they are slow to come out and U-smash ain't that hot. His tilts are not as safe. If they are blocked then he is punishable. He is also pretty easy to gimp. By far one of the easiest to gimp. Yeah he can wall cling, but that matters little since your opponent can just ledge drop to fair or w/e and stage spike him since Extreme Speed has no hitbox. If he goes on stage you can just wreck him and get him back off the stage or kill him.

Also let's get this straight and it's not even debatable. Lucario is not a good camper. Falco is a good camper. Toon Link is a good camper. Pit is a good camper. Lucario can't compare to them in this department. He is a good comboer until his oppenents get to higher percents. Then he can't do much in terms of damage unless he has some damage himself.

You also overestimate his range. Only F-smash, U-smash, and Force Palm have insane range. The rest have good range.

You compare Lucario to Marth alot.

You should stop that. They are completely different beast.
I'd like to think it's about match ups, but unfortunately, if a character isn't popular, they're not going to be played in tourneys very much, and there will be less people who win with them, which seems to effect the tier list. It did in Melee.

But Lucario has plenty of mobility and his speed is in his attacks. He's not a slow character at all, and his tilts are extremely safe. You can't very well shield grab his Ftilt because it hits twice and pushes you back way too far. Even if you powershield it, the second hit will just knock you into a normal shield. If you dodge around his ftilt, he'll still have enough time to put up his own shield or even Double team if he's feeling lucky.

Lucario isn't easy to zone at all for the simple fact that he does have more range and priority than a majority of the cast.

You're underestimating his range. His Ftilt has the same range as Marth's ftilt, which is generally considered a move with large range for an ftilt. His Dtilt has about the same range, only low enough to shield stab, and his Utilt doesn't have the same amount of range, but is incredibly fast and has hardly any lag to it.

His Fair has a sweet spot that reaches waaay past his foot. The range on that move is seriously massive, as is his Dair, which is also deceptively long-ranged.

Yes, gimpability is one of his weaknesses, but Lucario is a floaty character who doesn't need to recovery horizontally very often, especially with good DI, and from a ledge cling, he can always air dodge on the way up, too, although it's difficult to time it on stages like final destination. Either way, his air jump is quite large and goes a good distance which aids in recovery. Other than that, his only other weakness is the lack of power at 0%, which is something that doesn't seem to pose as much of a problem for good Lucario players as it does for beginners, especially since he can chain throw most characters to at least 60% using nothing other than force palm and a running grab.

Lucario's approach is much better than you give it credit for. Good Lucario players don't need to use his smash attacks unless absolutely necessary. And you'd be surprised at just how useful his Fsmash is when it's done from a stutter step or pivot, given the lingering hitbox, it can sometimes even trap someone who's trying to roll behind him. And Lucario can throw out a string of Fairs from a short hop, followed by a Nair which has next to no landing lag, which makes a fine approach. His Ftilt alone is good for approaching, as is his dodge, which I'm sure is abundant in I-frames.

And he is a good camper. Not quite as good as Falco or Toon Link, but better than most of the cast. He can also approach campers quite nicely given his wealth of defensive options, and the ability to weedle his way through projectiles at close range with a well-timed double team.

And I compare Lucario to Marth because they have quite a bit in common concerning hitboxes, priority and aerial ability. Out of everyone else in the game, Marth is the one whom Lucario shares the most similarities with. He has a Ken combo, a counter move, similar range on most of his attacks, a similar out of shield game, less-than excellent recovery and similar approaches (Fair, Nair, etc.) as well as an rangy Fsmash with a tipper and a sweet spot.

Browny

Smash Hater

lolwut?

i thought it was based on tournament results...

anyway lucario is an amazing counter to the like of pit, metaknight, diddy and many other light high tier characters. they wont be killing lucario until at least 130%, and by then his basic attacks outdamage and outrange everything those guys have to offer. hell he only has to be on around 80% before all his attacks do that.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
Well apparently Nigerian Star Storm already brought it up, but I've changed my Tier list from then, Now it looks like this,

Top Tier:
Snake
Meta Knight
Falco
Wolf
Toon Link
Marth

High Tier:
R.O.B.
Diddy Kong
Mr. Game and Watch
Zelda
Pit
King Dedede
Ice Climbers
Pikachu
Lucas
Ness
Zero Suit Samus
Fox
Olimar

Mid Tier:
Pokemon Trainer
Luigi
Lucario
Kirby
Bowser
Wario
Peach
Sheik
lke
Donkey Kong

Low tier:
Mario
Yoshi
Sonic
Samus
Jigglypuff
Captain Falcon
Link
Ganondorf

Anyways comment
Well this is probably the second closest list I've seen to what the public community would decide on for the current metagame tiers. Of course, this isn't what the tier list will be in a year because of the obvious things that most people are disregarding. That in turn is why I think this is so accurate as to what it would be if the masses decided on one RIGHT NOW!
The second closest is not mine btw lol
Your list will keep changing, this was either a fluke or you've looked into the CURRENT metagame very well. If you look into the direction that the metagame will develop, you'll have something quite different, but I think you would be acurate if you put your head into it. You seem to know what you're doing this far ;)

Well done!

Edit: I'll clear up what I meant by exceptions that the masses would decide differently.
Kirby, Luigi higher and Zelda, Wolf lower.
When in fact Zelda should be at LEAST as high as you've put her, Wolf should be lower and Luigi and Kirby are much better than the majority of the roster.

Zelda being higher instead of lower is the only thing I think the public would decide on of the 4 major changes that would actually be wrong, but that'll change in a few months I'm sure.

In a year, everything there will change (just so you all know lol)

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
lolwut?

i thought it was based on tournament results...

anyway lucario is an amazing counter to the like of pit, metaknight, diddy and many other light high tier characters. they wont be killing lucario until at least 130%, and by then his basic attacks outdamage and outrange everything those guys have to offer. hell he only has to be on around 80% before all his attacks do that.
Yes, by about 80%, Lucario's two most commonly used moves (Ftit and Dair) both will deal around 15% apiece, and his smashes will all be doing around the 20%s, and his Fthrow, Double Team hit and Force Palm grab become KO moves.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
He isn't very slow but he isn't fast either. His camping is a joke. Just jab them. No more threatening then his predecessors Shadow Balls.

Marth's f-tilt does outrange Lucario's BTW. Barely, but it does.

His main problem is lack of killing power unless he is messed up himself, in which case he ahs to stay alive long aneough to take advantage of it. This is not so easy considering that he is so gimpable and he is only midweight.

Also the smash community is weird. Any SRKer worth their salt knows that tier list are match-up based. But this community is...ugh. I don't know what thier deal is really. A match-up based list is just so much easier to do. You just look at that match-ups and order the characters absed on how well they do against each other overall. Whoever has the best match-ups overall is the best and you just run down the line.

Also his f-tilt has a tad bit of start-up time as well. And yeah I know that when Lucario does his fair the Aura that is directly in front of his foot has slighlty more range then the aura trail.

Overall, though he has trouble killing and trouble staying alive. Which is big deal in Brawl. A very big deal.

You don't have to shield grab f-tilt. Just shield drop dash and punish. Faster characters can do this and characters with tether grabs could probably grab him too.

Double Team isn't that good. It's a prediction tool and can be stuffed on activation.

Lucario's approach is good, but it's hampered slightly since he isn't that fast. Also you talked about his CG's. It's great that he has them, but you also have to think about how consistently can he get them off? His grab range is crap.

Just stuff to think about.

I don't Lucario has what it takes to go beyond high tier. Being so weak unless he has damage hurts him as does his gimpable recovery. I don't think he has what it takes to fight ROB, Wolf, MK, Toon Link, and especially Snake.

At best he goes even with Marth. But Marth is probably not even top 5 material and is most likely only top of high tier. So going even with him is meaningless.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
He isn't very slow but he isn't fast either. His camping is a joke. Just jab them. No more threatening then his predecessors Shadow Balls.

Marth's f-tilt does outrange Lucario's BTW. Barely, but it does.
However, it doesn't have a double hitbox that stays out for much much longer and eats at shields. You really need to have seen what a good Lucario player does with Aura spheres to realise just how good they are. The main thing about Aura spheres is that they travel slowly, have large hitboxes even uncharged, and Lucario can move before they reach the target. Even if you jab them, he can often use that minor moment of immobility to close in. And Aura spheres become even more useful at limiting aerial movement, since you don't exactly want to shorthop into them. If you don't have a reflector, you're either going to hit them, roll around them, or jump, all are things which Lucario can use to his advantage.

His main problem is lack of killing power unless he is messed up himself, in which case he ahs to stay alive long aneough to take advantage of it. This is not so easy considering that he is so gimpable and he is only midweight.
Lucario actually has about the same killing power as Metaknight when he's at 0%, and by the time he's at 50% or more, he has more killing power. He also gains an aura boost if he's behind by a stock. Most Lucario players will tell you that it's actually not that hard staying alive at 100% and above thanks to Lucario's excellent defensive game. His gimpability only really comes into effect when facing characters who have attacks that fling you off at a low angle, like Lucas and his PSI Magnet. He also has an excellent over-the edge game, allowing him to KO a lot earlier than he should. Seriously, backthrow ends so soon that on an opponent in their 60s or 70s you can practically jump out and intercept your opponent with a Fair while they're in the middle of their second jump, double jump backwards while rapidly doing Fairs just in case your opponent tries to follow you with an Up B of sorts, and then extremespeed back and hog the ledge. And Lucario's backthrow and down throw aren't effected by his aura. He also edgeguards very well with his Dair.

Also the smash community is weird. Any SRKer worth their salt knows that tier list are match-up based. But this community is...ugh. I don't know what thier deal is really. A match-up based list is just so much easier to do. You just look at that match-ups and order the characters absed on how well they do against each other overall. Whoever has the best match-ups overall is the best and you just run down the line.
I agree, but for some silly reason, it doesn't work like that. If it had have been that way in Melee, Ness would have been much higher up on the tier list, but everybody just figured he sucked and nobody bothered to really play him, despite how great his evasive and aerial game was.

Also his f-tilt has a tad bit of start-up time as well. And yeah I know that when Lucario does his fair the Aura that is directly in front of his foot has slighlty more range then the aura trail.
It's got more range and priority than Ness's Fair, which is pretty impressive for such a wimpy looking kick. And the startup on his ftilt is pretty minor, since the attack itself is very very safe and has huge range and power for what it does.
Overall, though he has trouble killing and trouble staying alive. Which is big deal in Brawl. A very big deal.
He doesn't have trouble with either of these. He gains killing power at 60% and up, which is a pretty average amount to have by the time you're wanting to KO your opponent, and his evasion and defense are so good that he isn't going to be eating KO moves very commonly if the player knows what they're doing.
You don't have to shield grab f-tilt. Just shield drop dash and punish. Faster characters can do this and characters with tether grabs could probably grab him too.
There isn't enough lag on Ftilt for them do that, and there's shield stun from two hits, meaning a double pushback. At the most, it'll put both you and Lucario at a stalemate if shielded, meaning he could very well shield your next attack or dodge it.
Double Team isn't that good. It's a prediction tool and can be stuffed on activation.
The only counter-style move in Brawl that can't be stuffed on activtion is Wolf's reflector. Lucario's double team has some interesting properties vs. projectiles, and it also has the most KO power of any counter-style move in the game. At 100%, this move is almost as powerful as Jigglypuff's rest. And at that %, the opponent will be trying for KO moves and approaches instead of jabs that are hard to see coming.
Lucario's approach is good, but it's hampered slightly since he isn't that fast. Also you talked about his CG's. It's great that he has them, but you also have to think about how consistently can he get them off? His grab range is crap.
He doesn't use a grab to start his chain grabs. He uses an AA combo, followed by a Force Palm, which has a lot more range than his normal grab. His normal grab's range isn't too shabby either. And yes, they've been tested multiple times. Against Snake, it's almost a guaranteed 80% unless you trip. And it can do even more since it leads into an aerial chase (running grab, down throw, fair fair fair etc.) Lucario's Fair is so fast that even if you air dodge it, he can still hit you with another one as the air dodge I-frames wear out.
Just stuff to think about.

I don't Lucario has what it takes to go beyond high tier. Being so weak unless he has damage hurts him as does his gimpable recovery. I don't think he has what it takes to fight ROB, Wolf, MK, Toon Link, and especially Snake.
He has a reliable 90% combo on Snake so long as his own % is below 50. And it works better on Snake than any other character. He can even juggle Snake to 40% using his Utilt alone, because Snake's aerials are so slow. What more could you ask for? And he runs circles around him too and majorly beats him out in the air, and aura sphere cancels thrown grenades and whatnot. He has more range than Metaknight and his aura builds up greatly in this matchup before he can be KOed and he has a projectile, he can close in on ROB with ease and keep him busy with fast aerials. Both of Rob's projectiles can be double teamed on reaction if you're paying attention, except for a thrown Gyromite. I would say he has trouble with Toon Link but not Wolf, since Wolf doesn't have great KO power and his recovery is easy enough to gimp, which is something Lucario is good at.
At best he goes even with Marth. But Marth is probably not even top 5 material and is most likely only top of high tier. So going even with him is meaningless.
Most people think that Marth is in the Top tier rank though it would seem.

tsl

Smash Apprentice
The level of fail in this thread is murdering innocent puppies.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
If all this is true, then Lucario will have no trouble hitting top tier now will he?

Azen already won a tourney with him, although he really didn't do much from what I hear. Just whored Lucario's f-smash and abused his good roll and spot-dodge. Hardly brought out his full potential.

Honestly though I find killing to be his biggest problem. His smashes are just slow and hard to hit with consistently.

Also Marth's counter can't be stuffed on activation as far as I know.

Also Aura Spheres just aren't that good. Marth for example can just jump and fair and DI while doing it so he still has complete control over his spacing.

I think Lucario has some potential since his rage ssytem allows him to abuse the fact that people live to high percents in Brawl, but I feel like his slow smashes hurt him as well as how easy it is to gimp him.

I'll leave it at that.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
If all this is true, then Lucario will have no trouble hitting top tier now will he?

Azen already won a tourney with him, although he really didn't do much from what I hear. Just whored Lucario's f-smash and abused his good roll and spot-dodge. Hardly brought out his full potential.

Honestly though I find killing to be his biggest problem. His smashes are just slow and hard to hit with consistently.

Also Marth's counter can't be stuffed on activation as far as I know.

Also Aura Spheres just aren't that good. Marth for example can just jump and fair and DI while doing it so he still has complete control over his spacing.

I think Lucario has some potential since his rage ssytem allows him to abuse the fact that people live to high percents in Brawl, but I feel like his slow smashes hurt him as well as how easy it is to gimp him.

I'll leave it at that.
Well as I said before, I think character popularity will prevent Lucario from ever being in the top tier. Azen is just a good player, so he could get away with that. And yeah, he appears to have trouble killing at first, until you learn that Lucario should be killing with moves that aren't smash attacks for more reliable KOes.

Marth's counter has a 4-frame startup time, it can be stuffed inbetween those, the frame data said so, I think...

By the time Marth's Faired that aura sphere in the air, Lucario's already thrown a second one at ground level, forcing him to either put up his shield or roll to get past it. The thing about AS is that it's pretty spammable and not limited to use as just a straightforward projectile. It also charges much faster than Shadow ball ever did, and at higher %, half-charged aura spheres are already about the same size as a fully charged shadow ball.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I was eluding to the fact that you were straining your point too much, especially on something has theoretical as fake tier lists or the prospect of placement in tiers.

That's all.

tsl

Smash Apprentice
We need your divine input then, but for some reason you didn't give any...
The metagame is advancing too quickly right now for this kind of debate. The tier list is determined by tournament results which we have too few of right now. And any theoretical tier list is constantly changing. Even if we were to all agree on one now, it will be different within a month.

And there's doubt in the professional community that this game will carry the same amount of depth as Melee in the long run. The "final" accepted list several years from now may be very flat. Check out Gimpyfish's writeup on Sakurai forcefully intending for Brawl not to be a competitive game (and the corresponding discussion) to see what I'm talking about. If the predictions are correct, once the metagame reaches a certain threshold, it will begin flatten itself out the more it advances instead becoming deeper.

Even if it were an appropriate time for tier list debate, you guys (at least, the ones that are bickering) are taking the wrong approach at this.

Just wait for the metagame to plateau. This game will be much less interesting to play competitively at that point. You will then realize that all this overly-energetic debate was a waste of time.

JJ259

Smash Apprentice
Emblem Lord I think you seem to be in some delusion that Lucario can't do anything until he is damaged to a point where he can KO easily.

Not only can he chain grab up to 80ish% for some characters and at least 30-40 for all characters, he can also easily pull a string of fairs or fair>nair from shorthops. His combo potential at low %'s combined with his huge range (especially on ftilt which has little to no startup lag) allows him to really rack up the opponents damage even while he's at low %'s. I do agree that he is one of the easiest gimping classes because his uB has no hitbox, he rarely is in the situation where he NEEDS to grab and if necessary, he can curve the extreme speed into the ground to reduce lag.

As far as matchups go, I rarely have problems with any characters. Like a few people have said, he can really dominate characters that lack low % KO moves because he can become a powerhouse at high %'s. His range also allows him to really control matches because the aura has such good hitboxes.

All in all, I think that at the VERY LEAST he should be at High-mid and I wouldn't be surprised that if after people actually start fighting lucario's who have passed the learning curve, he could be mid-high or better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom