• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
The god tier is in no order so you can decide:)
God Tier:

Diddy Kong
Meta Knight
Marth
Toon Link
Snake

High Tier:

Wolf
Zelda
Game & Watch
King Dedede
Olimar
Falco
Zamus
R.O.B
Pit
Pickachu
Fox
Pokemon Trainer
Ike
Lucario
Sheik

Middle Tier:

Lucas
Luigi
Samus
Mario
Ice Climbers
Link
Bowser
Ness
Peach

Low:

Donkey Kong
Wario
Kirby
Yoshi
Sonic

Garbage:

Gannondorf
Captain Falcon
JigglyPuff

Frogger255

Smash Rookie
High:
Meta Knight
Luigi
Zelda
Marth
Game&Watch
Falco
Fox
Diddy Kong

Middle:
Mario
Pit
Sonic
Wolf
Kirby
Pokemon Trainer
Lucario
Ness
Lucas
Ike
Sheik
R.O.B.
Yoshi

Low:
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Captian Falcon
Gannadorf
Ice Climbers
Wario
Donkey Kong
Peach

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
Skylynx

Sonic is bad. Why? Because he has one of the most piss poor move sets in the entire game. Overall he severely lacks in priority, damage, knockback, and range. Even the speed of his attacks are average at best. Most characters can beat you straight out of your attacks. Jabs alone shut down half of your arsenal.
Nuub tier list update following what corner said i will know place sonic at god tier
god tier:
sonic he beat egg man robotnick shadow and meta sonic. and he has the coolest move set (love pressing up b..........)

list bellow me nuuub list :):):):):) lolzplay much?

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
High:
Meta Knight
Luigi
Zelda
Marth
Game&Watch
Falco
Fox
Diddy Kong

Middle:
Mario
Pit
Sonic
Wolf
Kirby
Pokemon Trainer
Lucario
Ness
Lucas
Ike
Sheik
R.O.B.
Yoshi

Low:
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Captian Falcon
Gannadorf
Ice Climbers
Wario
Donkey Kong
Peach
There are so many mistakes with this mockery of a tier list that I don't even know where to start.
Can someone with more experience help a nooblar out?

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
Oh, please.

He's stating his PERSONAL opinions. No need to insult him.
When I said 'a nooblar,' I was referring to myself.
I know that that tier list is wrong, but I need help explaining it.
Well, aside from the characters that aren't on the tier list at all. What the hell is with people making their first post be a tier list that doesn't have Snake?

VEC

Smash Journeyman
lol Just because I jusr projectiles I'm a nub LOL, I beat his *** with sooo many different ppl, some without projectiles, he is trash.

Valken

Smash Apprentice
High:
Meta Knight
Luigi
Zelda
Marth
Game&Watch
Falco
Fox
Diddy Kong

Middle:
Mario
Pit
Sonic
Wolf
Kirby
Pokemon Trainer
Lucario
Ness
Lucas
Ike
Sheik
R.O.B.
Yoshi

Low:
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Captian Falcon
Gannadorf
Ice Climbers
Wario
Donkey Kong
Peach

I'm not flaming you, this is based on curiosity alone.

That being said, I'm going to assume that this list was decided by you based on you're play with your friends. If that's the case than maybe I can help you understand why you are so wrong.

I'm not gunna mention the lack of some of the best characters, but I bolded the ones that are in such a completely wrong place.

Why did you put those bolded characters where you put them? I'm not flaming I'm just asking. What about them made you put Ice Climbers and Pikachu low, and Sonic, Pit, Rob and Wolf mid? Why?

If you were going to put up a three part tier list, I should look ROUGHLY like this.

HIGH
Pit
Zamus
Diddy
Meta Knight
Snake
Lucas
Dee Dee Dee
Olimar
Pikachu
Fox
Zelda
Ice Climbers
Marth
Falco
ROB
Game & Watch
Toon Link
Wolf

MID
Wario
Ike
Pokemon Trainer
Mario
Link
Kirby
Bowzer
DK
Peach
Sheik
Ness
Luigi
Lucario

LOW
Sonic
Samus
Yoshi
Captain Falcon
Ganondorf
Jigglypuff

D

Deleted member

Oh and pikachu Top Tier? He/she/it/whatever has the most useless Fair in the game, and the Dair is an easy contender for the attack with the MOST landing lag (keep in mind the word contender) the other three aerials aren't bad. The new virtually lagless thunder is a godsend but I find it pretty hard to get hit by unless someone spills pepper into my eyes, Dsmash isn't too much of a bother it you DI out properly which most of the time you're able to do, the only thing I really hate about fighting pikachu's is their thundershock spammin (neutral B).
Pika's fair is one of the best fairs in the game silly. It autocancels im pretty sure and it does loads of damage and it resets his other moves quickly with the multiple hits. His dair umm it doesnt have too much but im not sure, if u QAC it can be a good move. Dsmash can be DId out of, but not always. He has massive priority, an amazing projectile, and loads of speed, and QACs are great mindgames as well as useful for both offense and defense, his tilts are good, his fsmash has rediculous range and can kill easily. He is definately viable for top tier. Im not so sure about sonic, never played any good ones.

Edit: And why dont people put Rob in top tier. Give me some things wrong with him. He has amazing range and priority, is perhaps the best camper in the entire game, 2nd best recovery imo.

HowaitoKumaSan

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, Pika's fair is some good. Fair into grab/dsmash/anything? Seems good to me.

Sonic...I'm still on the fence. He's good, but not top-tier quality. I'd say he's good enough to hang around mid-tier, if someone were to use a 3-tier system.

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
pikiahu is top tier
because you need pokeballs to catch it. and sometimes it doesn't like to go in the ball so you have to hit it till it goes to sleep then pet it a little take the blood off it's fur and say(it's ok) then go on your way....:)

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
*....must...resist....urge....to argue.....with morons.................phew*

The problem with theorizing is that you have no idea how it works out in practice. Before, Sonic was predicted to be a good character IN THEORY because of his speed/chasing ability. Then he was predicted to be a bad character IN THEORY because of his limited range. I think both are feasible, but the only real way to know is to work with Sonic and figure out how to use him. Sonic has minimal risk for the most part, but doesn't have a lot of spacing power due to his limited range. So it's tough to know how good/bad he is, except from experience.
I think you quoted the wrong post.

Nuub tier list update following what corner said i will know place sonic at god tier
god tier:
sonic he beat egg man robotnick shadow and meta sonic. and he has the coolest move set (love pressing up b..........)

list bellow me nuuub list :):):):):) lolzplay much?
.......I'm not even going to try and rationalize that. I'm so confused :urg:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
It's not hard to come to accurate conclusions through theory at all. You just have to have all the facts.

It also helps that Brawl is simple as hell.

Also Sonic sukcs because he doesn't attack fast, has horrible priority, crappy range, and crappy killing moves. He has some auto combos, which keeps him from being bottom tier.

His recovery is good and he has some neat tricks, but these are mostly just gimmicks and not really solid strats.

VulgarHandGestures

Smash Journeyman
I hope you see how you contradicted yourself within the same post. Just because VEC didn't use any AT's or anything to that affect, doesn't mean his play style had no skill involve. Using a single move if done well can be very skillful. If he does have no skill as you imply, then where does that put BDawgPHD and anyone else who lost to him? Do they somehow have more skill than VEC? As I said before, I really dislike the scrub mentality. Y'all always love to say no johns, well guess what, no johns.

I never thought I'd see the day that I would stick up for someone I don't like.
you're just making up strawman arguments at this point.

look, i get what you're trying to say about "playing to win" (which is ridiculously overused, but that's a discussion for another time). and i agree, it is well within his rights to be a nooby little ****. i just hope he has fun winning against level nines when no one else wants to play him anymore.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
you're just making up strawman arguments at this point.

look, i get what you're trying to say about "playing to win" (which is ridiculously overused, but that's a discussion for another time). and i agree, it is well within his rights to be a nooby little ****. i just hope he has fun winning against level nines when no one else wants to play him anymore.
I just don't like the fact that y'all talked crap about VEC, and then when he beats y'all in some matches, y'all talk even more crap. I just personally despise excuses or johns, because they correlate to much with the scrub mentallity. If he beat you, then say good game, don't go off calling him a little nooby *****, that just makes you as bad as him.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
I just don't like the fact that y'all talked crap about VEC, and then when he beats y'all in some matches, y'all talk even more crap. I just personally despise excuses or johns, because they correlate to much with the scrub mentallity. If he beat you, then say good game, don't go off calling him a little nooby *****, that just makes you as bad as him.
Seriously, we're getting off this discussion now. Wifi Brawl and real Brawl are two different games with two different strategies, where wifi Brawl requires good camping and projectile spamming and where real Brawl requires strategies that *aren't* dependent on latency. End of discussion.

Back on topic, I've been trying to pick up Mario, and he seems like he isn't too bad. I think he's sort of average, as he has been in like every game ever. He does take a lot of skill to use properly, especially when it comes to skeeting and caping.

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
Also Sonic sukcs because he doesn't attack fast, has horrible priority, crappy range, and crappy killing moves. He has some auto combos, which keeps him from being bottom tier.

His recovery is good and he has some neat tricks, but these are mostly just gimmicks and not really solid strats.
Finally, someone else who thinks Sonic is not bottom tier, at least he is low beacuse the bottom tier is for the really terrible characters like ganonfdorf, link and captain falcon

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
Seriously, we're getting off this discussion now. Wifi Brawl and real Brawl are two different games with two different strategies, where wifi Brawl requires good camping and projectile spamming and where real Brawl requires strategies that *aren't* dependent on latency. End of discussion.

Back on topic, I've been trying to pick up Mario, and he seems like he isn't too bad. I think he's sort of average, as he has been in like every game ever. He does take a lot of skill to use properly, especially when it comes to skeeting and caping.
I'll drop this argument but I must make one more statement. Whenever someone said a character deserved to be in a certain place on the tier list, you always challenged them to a match over Wifi to prove them wrong, and you kept mentioning no lag johns. Now you're retracting your statement saying that online Brawl and offline Brawl are two completely separate things. I completely agree with you, I'm just pointing how much hypocrisy you've shown. Man up and accept your losses, instead of acting like a scrub insulting VEC and coming up with excuses.

So I'll drop this argument, I just hope to not see that kind of attitude from you in the future.

HowaitoKumaSan

Smash Apprentice
I like Mario a lot. So much, in fact, that he's my most reliable Ike/GDorf/Earthbound counter. A charged up FLUDD gimps all of their recoveries, especially Ike and the Mama's Boys. It's hard to get the distance right with his turnaround forward smash, but after a couple of whiffs, you learn the proper spacing.

Have to remention how good he is against Ike. Fireballs just gimp Ike's approach, making him go airborne into a fair, which is what every Ike player ALWAYS does against a Fireball spam Mario.

Illussionary

Smash Journeyman
Here's why Toon Link is Top Tier:

1.He is super floaty which is good for aerials and edgeguarding.
2. He has a great recovery and a wall jump.
3. He has major priority in the air.
4. He can camp/spam projectiles.
5. Has a couple solid KO moves.
6. He has a small hitbox and is fast.

TL= Toptier

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Guys there's one character everyone seems to ignorantly put in middle tier atm and that is Lucas.
Look up wavebouncing and zap jumping to find out why he can recover so well.
All of his smashes are very solid, 'cept his U Smash which is the second strongest in the game, but ever so laggy.
Tether for recovery and grabbing.
Throws kill at around 130 if at edge.
One of the best campers in the game, 2 of which are VERY good projectiles along with his B Down which absorbs projectiles.
Jab comes out frame 1, erm SHINE much!?
All around great aerials.
Did I mention B Down is a kill move!?
Small Target
B Up is possibly the best gimping move IN THE GAME.
Just overall an amazing spacer and great in every department when you get close up aswell.
No weaknesses spring to mind.
Lucas is atleast high tier, if not better.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
A2ZOMG: If you read my post, you'd see that I said when I get the hang of FLUD down it wouldn't be so much of a problem. So cool down.

@Corner-Trap: BDawg johns all the time, just ignore him^_^ I know what you mean though, I hate it when people john/act hypocritical.

Heavenly Spoon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HeavenlySpoon
I could care less about these silly tiers-attempt, but I find myself looking at this thread quite a lot for some reason, and when I do, I can't help but to notice the fact that a lot of people just place Jigglypuff at the bottom of the tiers list without any consideration, or without any objection by anyone. I realise she doesn't have as much fanboyism as Sonic and Ike, but still.

So, in melee, she was amongst the few to actually have the ability to beat the top-tiers, and I don't think I need to remind any of you who Mango or the King were, or still are for that matter. I still think she should have been in High tier, but that's not the point at the moment. So high middle-tier was where she was in melee, according to some people here, she mysteriously got the biggest nerf in the entire game and gets shot right down to bottom tier.

Rest, "what have they done to it", "OMG, where are my cheap 25% kills" or just plain old "rest sucks, donc jiggly sucks" is what I seem to hear a lot. I guess we can all agree on the fact that brawl allows most characters to go past 100%, some reaching 150%. Then I ask you, is 60%, maybe 70% on heavier characters, 80% on stuff like dedede which is almost unkillable anyways really that weak? I realise the risk-reward kinda fails here, but hey, we're talking about GOOD players here, aren't we? So SH-Dair auto-lag-cancels when FF'd right, which means dair to rest is actually viable now, hey, it's even a real combo. I suggest you look at some footage of Bowyer or something if you don't think this is actually do-able in real battles.

But really, rest alone didn't make Jiggly, she still chains aerials like the balloon she is, yes, it's avoidable, escaping is also possible, to an extend, but it got buffed. Jiggly can now SH-double-aerial, end in an uair, and you just got a perfect airborne punching bag. Not only that, stale-move negation means bair actually gets reduced knockback, no need to tell you what that means, I hope. Combine that with brawl's overall floatiness, and chaining bairs (or soft fairs) is a piece of cake.

Not only that, her fair gained a sweetspot, which is quite powerful, that basically means she isn't completly reliant on bairs anymore. Her uair also got better, and her dair is more like its 64-self, also better. Her lacking approach is fixed by a great aerial game and the new airdodge-system, which aids her more than any character in the game, as she can stay airborn longer than any other character. The fact that she's light is compensated by Rest and the fact that you live longer anyways.

I'm not going to try and act like the next yoshi fanboy and be all "Yoshi got the biggest buff in the game yoshi for high tier", but I think placing jiggly at the very bottom below stuff like ganondorf is a sign of complete ignorance, and I figured I might as well cure it. That and I'm bored and my bro claimed my Wii.

Just wanted to say that, feel free to just ignore me and go on about how Pikachu, Yoshi and DK are going to dominate this game.

Mmac

Smash Lord
I'm not going to try and act like the next yoshi fanboy and be all "Yoshi got the biggest buff in the game yoshi for high tier", but I think placing jiggly at the very bottom below stuff like ganondorf is a sign of complete ignorance, and I figured I might as well cure it. That and I'm bored and my bro claimed my Wii.

Just wanted to say that, feel free to just ignore me and go on about how Pikachu, Yoshi and DK are going to dominate this game.

Wow, first of all, thanks for stereotyping us. First, we're not stupid. We're not being "Yoshi for super high omega uber top tier!", Mostly everyone who doesn't talk negatively about Yoshi say that he should be in Mid or the upper part of Low tier. And nobody never said that he got the biggest buff (I think that Kirby honestly), only just buffed in general. And wow, you really think that we think that Yoshi will dominate Brawl? I'm a Lifelong Yoshi Main and even I know that won't happen :dizzy: . I don't understand why you brought up Pikachu, but DK is just unpopular, not sucky.

Anyways, I can't really comment on Jigglypuff because I don't use it, nor really like it, but I think it shouldn't be low, but I think "Bottom" Tier should be banned. The game is much more ballanced compared to Melee and it's just pointless. Even Ganondorf (Who I agree should be on the lowest. I secondary him and he's pretty bad compared to the other characters), has chances with almost every other character in the game. People have the right idea and just stick with the 4 Tier System

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Mmac, grow a pair and stop taking neutral comments about yoshi fans too personally.

And Spoon, I agree.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I'd like top point out that every character can't be top or bottom tier. So many people get on here and say they hate this or that character so they must be top/high or they love how their character so they must be top/high or they never win with their character so they must be bottom/low or that they never play a certain character so they must be bottom/low.

This is not a popularity contest. Let's leave that to High School student councils and Prom King and Queens.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
Being foalty ios not a good thing althoygh he can give out to bair in a SH, an up smash with most characters wll kill toon link at 100%
He still is a top tier character, no doubt about that
Being floaty is honestly a good thing in Brawl. It gives you a better air game, greater horizontal recovery, and it's much harder to do follow up attacks on you. I think you're mistaking being floaty for being light. Being light is what can get you killed at 100% by an Usmash, not being floaty.

Does any know when MLG and EVO will start up brawl tournies? Beacusewhen those happen tier lists will start to come out
MLG isn't hosting Brawl this year, and EVO world isn't until August, but I'm not sure when the EVO qualifiers will be held..

Tien2500

Smash Lord
I could care less about these silly tiers-attempt, but I find myself looking at this thread quite a lot for some reason, and when I do, I can't help but to notice the fact that a lot of people just place Jigglypuff at the bottom of the tiers list without any consideration, or without any objection by anyone. I realise she doesn't have as much fanboyism as Sonic and Ike, but still.

So, in melee, she was amongst the few to actually have the ability to beat the top-tiers, and I don't think I need to remind any of you who Mango or the King were, or still are for that matter. I still think she should have been in High tier, but that's not the point at the moment. So high middle-tier was where she was in melee, according to some people here, she mysteriously got the biggest nerf in the entire game and gets shot right down to bottom tier.

Rest, "what have they done to it", "OMG, where are my cheap 25% kills" or just plain old "rest sucks, donc jiggly sucks" is what I seem to hear a lot. I guess we can all agree on the fact that brawl allows most characters to go past 100%, some reaching 150%. Then I ask you, is 60%, maybe 70% on heavier characters, 80% on stuff like dedede which is almost unkillable anyways really that weak? I realise the risk-reward kinda fails here, but hey, we're talking about GOOD players here, aren't we? So SH-Dair auto-lag-cancels when FF'd right, which means dair to rest is actually viable now, hey, it's even a real combo. I suggest you look at some footage of Bowyer or something if you don't think this is actually do-able in real battles.

But really, rest alone didn't make Jiggly, she still chains aerials like the balloon she is, yes, it's avoidable, escaping is also possible, to an extend, but it got buffed. Jiggly can now SH-double-aerial, end in an uair, and you just got a perfect airborne punching bag. Not only that, stale-move negation means bair actually gets reduced knockback, no need to tell you what that means, I hope. Combine that with brawl's overall floatiness, and chaining bairs (or soft fairs) is a piece of cake.

Not only that, her fair gained a sweetspot, which is quite powerful, that basically means she isn't completly reliant on bairs anymore. Her uair also got better, and her dair is more like its 64-self, also better. Her lacking approach is fixed by a great aerial game and the new airdodge-system, which aids her more than any character in the game, as she can stay airborn longer than any other character. The fact that she's light is compensated by Rest and the fact that you live longer anyways.

Rest was a large part of Jigglypuff's game and it being nerfed is a pretty big deal. Because it knocks them straight up which makes it alot easier to get back to Jigglypuff in the time it takes for her to wake up. So even if you hit rest you're still liable to be punched in the face.

I feel like Jigglypuff's aerial movement isn't as good as it was in Melee. Maybe I just need to play as her a bit more and get used to it but at this point it seems Squirtle has more aerial agility. Also most characters are more capable in the air so the gap in aerials between Jigglypuff and the rest of the cast is minimal.

Also Jigglypuff's smashes are laggier at the startup which is somewhat of a problem. Overall Jigglypuff has been nerfed pretty badly while the rest of the cast got buffs. I'll need to play more as Jigglypuff before I make any final judgement but as of now at the bottom with G-dorf may be the right place.

ShengNu

Smash Apprentice
Fox, Falco, Sonic, Mario, Luigi, Wolf, Metaknight, Peach, Marth, and Pit are definatly high on the tier list.

Shiek, Pokemon Trainer, Link, Olimar, Kirby, Dedede,Jiggly, Falcon, Snake,Ike,Toon Link, Yoshi, Diddy,IC's, and Rob seem to be in the middle of the tier list.

Donkey Kong, Zelda,Ness, Lucas, Lucario, Bowser,Game and Watch,Ike, Wario, and Ganon seem to be on the southern half of the tier list this time around.

The lists I gave are in no order, and are just what I think an image of the first tier list will actually be like.

where to begin where to begin... for one you said ike was mid tier and bottom tier make up your mind... also i dont think you really understand how good zelda is.. maybe you should play a zelda user and find out cough* myself cough* anyways zelda is way better than shiek. in my oppinion shiek has too many attacks that leaves her wide open.. zelda can side smash multiple times which can come in handy for mind games.. din's fire not only powerful and quick but also has a large range.. i dont think you went into enough depth of the characters to be making that list of yours.. sorry but i horridly disagree with quite a few of those..

Adam251

Smash Rookie
PEACH IS BETUR BECAUSE SHE HAS BEWBS.

Kidding, but may I ask why she is consistantly Mid-low tier? Not saying she isn't (I main her so actually I do, but I don't feel like arguing due to not being a tourney player), but I would like to konw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom