• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Lobelia:
I was in a guild on Guild Wars. My user name when I joined was Ms Samus Aron (yes, I know the "o" isn't right, but someone had taken every other conceivable name I could think of involving Samus.) Plus, all of my PvP characters were Female, because the guild I use to belong to... well that was just our thing ;) After I met the group, they asked me my name and I told them it was Corey.
After all of the formalities were out of the way, we started to play. My roommate was also in this guild, and so we would spend our nights playing over ventrillo with them. One night, however, something happened along the lines of I was about to die or something and someone yelled out, "Someone heal her, she's about to die!" From that point on, people started calling me a she in there, because I had never told them I was a guy and they assumed Corey was a girl's name.
After that, people started treating me nicely in the guild. People got armor for me, keys, went on missions. It was nice. My roommate got in on it and he started calling me a she. Someone asked me on smashboards if I was a guy or a girl, and I think I told them to figure it out, and they started calling me a she! People treat you differently when you are being regarded as one sex from another. I get the feeling that if you put I AM A WOMAN in your sig, people would treat you way differently from now on. Do you want that? That's all.
/rant

Gindler

Smash Champion
I disagree with you. People can overcome flaws. Peach is considered low-mid in most circles, but a good Peach player can overcome her downsides and place well.

I've seen good Yoshi players out there.

You know, I like tiers, but people who stick to them overly really do prove the phrase "tiers are for queers". Tiers are good as a general guide of which characters are going to make it easiest to win. The lower on the list you pick a character, the better you'll need to learn the character and the more time you'll need to do well.

It might not be possible to win a tournament with those characters without being one of the best players on the planet, but you can still get pretty good with him and be able to beat most people.
I will agree that the only player I could never beat (maybe once by luck) was a peach player, and I actually play some of the best kids in florida on a somewhat regular basis. So I'd say peach is high mid at least.

There are a few good yoshi players out there (the ones that didn't ditch him for higher tier characters), I think like 3 in Orlando that I've heard of anyway (then again you only hear of them since a good yoshi is an oddity apparently). So yeah he's in low tier I'd think but not bottom, he can combo like mad and rack up damage but has few kill moves. So I think he's really good in teams with a snake that can uptilt for the kill while yoshi's juggling both opponents all day long. Doubles results affect tier lists?

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
On runescape, my friend played as a female character and we would try to scam people into getting free stuff. On PSO I played a female character and would get "hi sexy" all of the time.

I am not quite ready to jump on the Dedede train. A lot of good players seem to be spear heading Dededee like DSF, Dope, M2K, Chillen. From Ankoku's reference sheet it seems that a lot of players second metaknight with Dededee. Atomisk, Teba, Aero, and Joshu are really the only ones of decent rank that seem to go Solo with Dededee, and they sometimes have a secondary also. Maybe if his matchups get revaluated but from what it seems from SBR's opinion and on the Dededee boards, Dededee does have a good bit of bad matchups. Tournament Ranking surely bumps him up quite a bit but I don't think it should be weighted so much to put him in third solely on tournament rankings especially when there are other variables that could affect a characters tournament ranking.

On the other end you have Lucien, Kel, Moon Doggie, and Gamble spear heading Fox's climb. In fact Lucien won a 70 person tournament with fox. Do you know how many points that gets you. What if the other 62 people weren't any good and Lucien just outclasses them? That is pretty much free points to fox. Fox has only appeared in the top 8 like 6 times. I am pretty hesitant about citing his ranking as reason to move him up as it seems to be quite skewed at this moment.

I mean would we bump Ness all the way to upper mid or low high just because timotee won a tournament with Ness which sent Ness from unranked all the way to 30 points? We have to take other factors into account and have a careful eye when looking at tournament results.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
im pretty sure m2k could beat anybody outside of the other "elite" players (azen etc...) using any character. It just happens he uses top/high tier....
Yoshi is just a stupid character to use in a tourny, hes wierd and hard to play with... i mean u can win with him but its just dumb to try.

If ur obsesed with yoshi or love him some other level then by all means play that dino.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Ahaha, on GameFAQs? Yes, that's me. I play Melee in addition to MPH.
Prepare to be 7_0'd!

Don't keep a lid on it. If someone questions you, you might as well answer honestly. *shrug* If they act stupid though thats when you should just break out a homing missile or two and maybe the imperialist.

@corey: Well thats how it is, people will always treat you differently on the internet and off the internet. Nothing new.

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
lots of stuff
1. My little brother doesn't even have a smashboards account. Where in the world did this come from?
2. My little brother is not able to post anything of intelligence, I refuse to believe it.
3. My little brother mains Wolf and Pit, why the hell is he arguing for King DeDeDe and Fox to be moved up? I refuse to accept he could be unbiased.

I call major B.S. on this. And how the hell do you know I have a younger brother anyway? But yeah, he doesn't have a smashboards account, I know this for a fact, so I don't know where this magical post is coming from.

However I do agree Fox is amazing based solely on bias. Yep, the tier list should be: Fox, Snake, Metaknight. The rest doesn't matter, King DeDeDe sucks.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
who is we??? you GTFO son i can say what i want where i want how i want to whoever i want....the truth hurts.....if u dont really care then ignore the **** post......

lol another **** blade breaker....:laugh:
Every other poster on the thread... that's who "we" is.

Lol, the truth, yes. Except for the fact that it's completely impossible for two things which are different to be equal. Doing so requires perfect attention to detail, something which is impossible, because there are an infinite number of possible details to consider. Thus, there will always be tiers if there are differences. Perfect balance is impossible.

The only reason you aren't flamed beyond all recognition is because you have an exceptional Mario. How you managed to achieve that without any understanding of basic facts of competitive gaming is totally beyond me.

Regardless, your posts are totally off-topic, this is construction of a tier list, not discussion of whether tiers exist. Please vacate the thread unless you plan on posting on-topic.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Alright

Fobidden tier:
Mewtwo, Dixie, Dr. Mario, Plusle and Minun, Toon Zelda, Toon Sheik, Roy
Doctor Mario should be right behind Mewtwo, and Roy should be top of Forbidden tier. Roy has t3h ph1re remember?

>_>

im pretty sure m2k could beat anybody outside of the other "elite" players (azen etc...) using any character. It just happens he uses top/high tier....
I don't think it's a coincidence that he uses a top/high tier character.

1. My little brother doesn't even have a smashboards account. Where in the world did this come from?
2. My little brother is not able to post anything of intelligence, I refuse to believe it.
3. My little brother mains Wolf and Pit, why the hell is he arguing for King DeDeDe and Fox to be moved up? I refuse to accept he could be unbiased.

I call major B.S. on this. And how the hell do you know I have a younger brother anyway? But yeah, he doesn't have a smashboards account, I know this for a fact, so I don't know where this magical post is coming from.

However I do agree Fox is amazing based solely on bias. Yep, the tier list should be: Fox, Snake, Metaknight. The rest doesn't matter, King DeDeDe sucks.
First off: CALM DOWN I AM NOT A STALKER >_<

Well that's what I found from my earlier Tier list topics from Gamefaqs.......It didn't come from Smashboards. I looked at his profile and saw your name under AIM, so at first I assumed it was you, then he told me he was your younger brother. IF he really is, I'd say he's actually pretty smart. >_>.

Want a link, here >_>

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=928518&topic=44086949&page=2

Gindler

Smash Champion
Yoshi is just a stupid character to use in a tourny, hes wierd and hard to play with... i mean u can win with him but its just dumb to try.

If ur obsesed with yoshi or love him some other level then by all means play that dino.
I'm sure in melee I could beat M2K's Pichu with my yoshi...yeah that's how bad pichu is =P

Not obsessed with yoshi or love him on some other level. He's just my favorite video game character (ever since yoshi's story :chuckle:) so I've been "loyal" to him working with his weaknesses and all that, which honestly is why I think most yoshi mains play as him.

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Lol, gameFAQs. I have an account there that I've logged onto maybe 2/3 times ever. Yep, and now I totally believe it. My brother would be stupid enough to spend large amounts of time on gamefaqs. And then list my AIM, how annoying of him. He's only smart about smash because he learns it all from me. ;) Surprisingly, I do like how he went about making his tier list that I see in that topic.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
Prepare to be 7_0'd!

Don't keep a lid on it. If someone questions you, you might as well answer honestly. *shrug* If they act stupid though thats when you should just break out a homing missile or two and maybe the imperialist.
...Dude, uncool. The Imperialist? I mean, I can understand alt-spamming against morons who tell me "BEWBZ OR GTFO" but the Imperalist is just rude.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
You know, I'm not really sure why I use Yoshi. I don't like his games, I don't like him, and I know he's a terrible character (though not the worst).
Maybe it's because uptaunt dancing is the best in the game.

gantrain05

Smash Master
I will agree that the only player I could never beat (maybe once by luck) was a peach player, and I actually play some of the best kids in florida on a somewhat regular basis. So I'd say peach is high mid at least.

There are a few good yoshi players out there (the ones that didn't ditch him for higher tier characters), I think like 3 in Orlando that I've heard of anyway (then again you only hear of them since a good yoshi is an oddity apparently). So yeah he's in low tier I'd think but not bottom, he can combo like mad and rack up damage but has few kill moves. So I think he's really good in teams with a snake that can uptilt for the kill while yoshi's juggling both opponents all day long. Doubles results affect tier lists?
about time someone gives peach some respect, i've been saying she needs moved up forever, when she's in the right hands she has an incredible amount of good matchups, way more than most of the mid tier characters. in fact i use her whenever i run into a good metaknight, and i can't explain the exact reasons behind this, but she just seems to get the job done vs him. i think the only matchup i actually have a very hard time with is shiek, her speed and her needles make it very hard on a peach mainer, speaking of shiek, she should be moved up as well lol.

Tim_The_Enchanter

Smash Ace
You know, I'm not really sure why I use Yoshi. I don't like his games, I don't like him, and I know he's a terrible character (though not the worst).
Maybe it's because uptaunt dancing is the best in the game.
It's because the pwnage is palpable when you beat someone with a bottom tier character. :bee:

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Sorry to be off topic.

I'm sure in melee I could beat M2K's Pichu with my yoshi...yeah that's how bad pichu is =P
Ken came to Australia last year, and beat CAOTIC's Marth with Game & Watch.
And Marth is a top tier character.

Pichu Vs. Yoshi could be a reasonably even match up (Still Favoring Yoshi). Especially if said Pichu is being played by an amazing player like M2K.

Of course, I don't know how good your Yoshi is :laugh:

Swordplay

Smash Lord
I feel like the creation of the tier list itself is starting to affect itself.

I went to anime expo, and saw a lot of mediocre snakes and metas. However, one thing I noticed is that the people NOT playing with the higher tiers were actually the better players. Yes, there were a few people who were good at playing snake+meta, so many people are now playing them that its starting to make them look bad. Also, since everyone plays snake and meta, everyone knows how to defend against their techniuqes.

For example, people now fear the utilt, and know the c4 strikes under platforms on battlefield, meta's up+b has rediculous knockback, etc.

Does anyone else feel like Snake+Meta will suddenly not seem nearly as "God Tier" as everyone feels now, as people adjust to everyone and their mom trying to pick up snake and meta because they are high tier?

That is because in order to become good with low tier characters you have to practice and become a much better player to make it an even match. With so many snakes and meta's people are beginning to learn a lot about their mains as well as snake and meta and are learning what they are able and not able to do.

Snake and meta will still be considered god though.

I main link and I consider myself a quality player. I can compete with mid/high tier character in an even match with a low tier. But once I play a mid/high tier character the match becomes lop sided and I **** because you end up putting a lot more practice into the game when you play a low tier character because they are a lot harder to use. This will ultimately make you a better player.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
...Dude, uncool. The Imperialist? I mean, I can understand alt-spamming against morons who tell me "BEWBZ OR GTFO" but the Imperalist is just rude.
XD would you prefer if I shadow froze you?
Don't worry the imperialist is not a broken weapon, it is only broken when offline where the lag doesn't affect it.

I am equally proficient with the magmaul, PB and judicator.

And yes, I am very, very, very, good at the game.

Or I used to be, haven't touched it in months.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
XD would you prefer if I shadow froze you?
Don't worry the imperialist is not a broken weapon, it is only broken when offline where the lag doesn't affect it.

I am equally proficient with the magmaul, PB and judicator.

And yes, I am very, very, very, good at the game.

Or I used to be, haven't touched it in months.
PB, now that's a broken weapon....

Yeah, well anyway, nice to know there are, you know, other Hunter's players around.

Yes, I do love playing trace, sorry, Sniper just fits my general playstyle, I play sniper in most fps games I play.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
Adam: People look down on the Imperialist because it's a one-hit-kill weapon in a game that doesn't have any one-hit-kill weapons or tactics other than the Imperialist and that godforsaken Omega Cannon. However, I can't talk about cheap. I play the same character in that game that I do in Melee. Freakin' Samus.

Back on discussion of Brawl's tiers:
If the top tier expanded to include more characters besides Snake and MK, I'd put Dedede in there first.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
i'll have to play your trace sometime.
Makes me want to take up the game again.
When I get back into practice, been so busy in the past 6 months that I've barely picked up the game.

Losing the cartridge didn't help... just got a new one like a week ago.

Adam: People look down on the Imperialist because it's a one-hit-kill weapon in a game that doesn't have any one-hit-kill weapons or tactics other than the Imperialist and that godforsaken Omega Cannon. However, I can't talk about cheap. I play the same character in that game that I do in Melee. Freakin' Samus.
I know, that's generally the objection to sniping, no matter what the FPS, but that SHOULD be counter-balanced by the difficulty actually successfully sniping.

Sure, it's powerful, but is it quite that overpowering.

But then again, I never found alt-spamming cheap either. I find that sticking to (generally) melee attacks tends to hurt you in a game with so many projectiles, and alt spammers never were a problem for me.

Back on discussion of Brawl's tiers:
If the top tier expanded to include more characters besides Snake and MK, I'd put Dedede in there first.
Agreed, in spite of much worse Matchup then G&W and Marth, and others, DDD's tournament record suggests that he's a lot better then match-ups suggest. Best choice for top tier 3.

boss8

Smash Hero
Every other poster on the thread... that's who "we" is.

Lol, the truth, yes. Except for the fact that it's completely impossible for two things which are different to be equal. Doing so requires perfect attention to detail, something which is impossible, because there are an infinite number of possible details to consider. Thus, there will always be tiers if there are differences. Perfect balance is impossible.

The only reason you aren't flamed beyond all recognition is because you have an exceptional Mario. How you managed to achieve that without any understanding of basic facts of competitive gaming is totally beyond me.

Regardless, your posts are totally off-topic, this is construction of a tier list, not discussion of whether tiers exist. Please vacate the thread unless you plan on posting on-topic.
i understand bro if u want me to leave i will leave......but its funny beating people like M2K's metaknight with mario......tiers are for queers im done nigerian thanks for the support:chuckle::chuckle

TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO REP THERE CHARACTER AND ARE AT THE BOTTOM OR LOW OR EVEN MID *POUND* U GYS ARE TO GOOD.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
I know, that's generally the objection to sniping, no matter what the FPS, but that SHOULD be counter-balanced by the difficulty actually successfully sniping.

Sure, it's powerful, but is it quite that overpowering.

But then again, I never found alt-spamming cheap either. I find that sticking to (generally) melee attacks tends to hurt you in a game with so many projectiles, and alt spammers never were a problem for me.
The only things I think are truly cheap are Shadow Freezing, Deathalts, and the Omega Cannon. Imperialist is just annoying, given that it's a very mobile sniper rifle that takes 100 damage if it hits your body, and instant-kills you if it hits your head. Either way, you don't find that overpowered?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
i understand bro if u want me to leave i will leave......but its funny beating people like M2K's metaknight with mario......tiers are for queers im done nigerian thanks for the support:chuckle::chuckle
Yeah, but you know what's even more fun? Killing MKs with Gannondorf (my secondary).

Heh, better attitude. Get rid of the reference towards the LGBTA community and it's all good.

Realize, you do come off as bit obnoxious, and people respond in kind.

The only things I think are truly cheap are Shadow Freezing, Deathalts, and the Omega Cannon. Imperialist is just annoying, given that it's a very mobile sniper rifle that takes 100 damage if it hits your body, and instant-kills you if it hits your head. Either way, you don't find that overpowered?
Yeah, shadow freezing... *shudders*

And Omega Cannon and Death alts are just no.

Overpowered, yes. But not obnoxiously so. It's got a low area of effect and rate of fire which prevents it from being all THAT obnoxious.

It's pretty standard as far as sniper rifles go in FPS games,

cutter

Smash Champion
lol, talking about broken stuff in other games reminds me of all the extremely overpowered cards in Magic the Gathering (yes I'm an avid MTG player):
- The Power 9
- Necropotence
- Tolarian Academy
- Yawgmoth's Will
- Tinker
- Arcbound Ravager
- Skullclamp
- Affinity cards in general

God were those cards broken. I remember the days of the Urza Block when turn 1 kills were the norm. Getting force-fed 100+ cards from a Stroke of Genius was agony.

Good thing none of this stuff exists in Brawl. Snake and Meta are good, but they're not broken.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
breakfast cereal tier list

fruity pebblles

high

capn crunch

mid

lucky charms

low

cookie crisp

bottom

oat bran(or whatever crappy healthy cereal ur parents eat)

im l33t

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
tier list
No, you got it wrong.

The sugary crap is all low tier.

it Goes like this:

Top: Healthy cereals that taste good

Mid: Healthy cereals that taste like crap

Low: Sugary cereals that taste good (they're temptations).

Bottom: Sugary cereals that taste like crap.

Oh, and horizontal tier lists are top tier.

Alright, now, seriously dudes. Brawl tiers. Don't want to get this thread closed.
Yeah... let's,

ON TOPIC!

Tier list
Primarily because I want this thread to be on-topic...

CF needs to be brought up, I'm sorry, but his tournament placements warrant him the bottom of low.

Yoshi, again, bottom of low (above CF), his ATs look good enough on paper, but he doesn't have the results to back them up (yet). I'd say, he SHOULD be a "lower", but his rankings don't warrant it.

Bring Gannon down, his match-ups are totally abysmal. Bottom tier is the appropriate place for him.

Bring Kirby down, neither good enough on paper, nor showed well enough to warrant this ranking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom