• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully by the end of summer most will have figured out how to combat a Snake so he can stop winning so **** much.

Brawl's actually kinda balanced once you get past Snake and Meta, granted even though it's still wouldn't be as good as Melee, but it would be respectable at a competitive level

Browny

Smash Hater
ban snake

problem fixed.

MK is overrated, i honestly doubt he will remain top while the likes of ROB, marth and falco have anything to do with it

St. Viers

Smash Champion
who are you considering high tier?

I'd say everyone but snake and toon link, maybe not falco, but besides that, he's pretty much even/advantaged

I'd say he breaks even with Falco and Marth. Snake as stated has a slight advantage on him. Might have an advantage on ROB and Toon Link.

And you must be out of your mind if you seriously think Snake would be banned. No character in any fighting game warrants a ban until they are proven to be on the Akuma level of brokenness, and Snake has not come even close to reaching that level

Ratherion

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Falco does decently well against the high-teir characters (snake specifically), seeing as he has the anti-camp and a great projectile game, but even so he's pretty much locked in the Lower-Top.

M@v

Subarashii!
Mk is a possibility for top. Fox will be probably be high. Falco could be top, but hes guaranteed high.(His reflector can cause mayhem)

Snake is top
Wolf-High at least.

-Notice how the star fox crew pretty much owns the tiers?(lol)

Ratherion

Smash Journeyman
Mk is a possibility for top. Fox will be probably be high. Falco could be top, but hes guaranteed high.(His reflector can cause mayhem)

Snake is top
Wolf-High at least.

-Notice how the star fox crew pretty much owns the tiers?(lol)

Starfox = Speed and precision and power. [+5 Blaster Modifier]

Everything a good smasher could ask for.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
who are you considering high tier?

I'd say everyone but snake and toon link, maybe not falco, but besides that, he's pretty much even/advantaged
no no no... I mean who does he actually have an advantage over? I mean it's nice to know he's disadvantaged by too... but does he have an advantage on any of them? I know that he's got no advantage in the zelda matchup... but I don't know about others.

As for the High Tiers at least according to my list, he seems to have an advantage against Wolf,Olimar,Pit, and Diddy. I'd say Pika is neutral and Zelda is probably a slgiht disadvantage.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
hmm... looking at my tier list... the most important questions would be:
Snake
G&W
Marth
Falco
Zelda
Toon Link
Rob
Wario

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Top Tier
Snake
Metaknight

Top tier seems fairly undisputed.

Very High tier
Mr Game and Watch
Marth
Falco
R.O.B.

This part of High tier seems undisputed also. Each of them have amazing matchups and do fairly well in tournaments. Not to mention they are just naturally good characters.

Disputed Very High and High tier
Toon Link- has a lot of good matchups, good character overall and does alright in tournaments
Pit – Has more good matchups then toon link but also more bad ones. Places better than Toon link in tournaments.
Zelda – Has a lot of good matchups and is generally considered a great character. However she hasn’t done well at tournaments at all. In fact she is ranked 31. Low tier and Bottom tier house those that Rank under 30. Maybe Zelda does deserve only high tier.
Olimar- Has a lot of good matchups, ranks just slightly below Toon Link in Tournaments. He is a great character except when it comes to being off the stage.
Wolf- If we weighted the matchups then olimar would just barely top Wolf. However they are so incredibly close. Wolf also ranks higher in tournaments than all those previously mentioned. His recovery isn’t that great either. He is generally considered a good character also.

These characters are mixed in Very High and High tier. They don’t quite make Very High yet they seem too good for just High tier.

High
Wario- Has good bit of good matchups and some bad. I can’t ignore the fact that he ranks 4th in tournaments though.
Pikachu-When weighted pikachu has the same matchup ranking as Wario. Yet places lower in tournaments.
Ice Climbers-Has the same matchup ranking as Wario and Pikachu yet doesn’t do nearly as well as those two in tournaments.
King Dedede- He just doesn’t have the matchups that those above him have. In fact he has more bad then good. Again I can’t ignore how well he does at tournaments. Not to mention his amazing chaingrab skills.
Kirby – Matchup wise Kirby does better than Dedede. In fact he actually has a favorable matchup against Dededed. However Kirby just doesn’t have good matchups versus the upper tier characters.
Diddy Kong- Maybe not as good as we thought but still a decent character. He has some favorable matchups against the upper tiers. He places low in tournaments though. He still has crazy banana tactics.
Fox- Maybe even borderline mid tier. However I think he just makes high. He has more bad matchups then good and doesn’t seem to fair well against those above him.

I don’t think my list for high will be generally approved by the populous. Most characters in this group are ranked above 20 except the oddball Diddy. Dedede and Fox are the only ones to have more bad then good matchups.

Middle Tier

Lucario- He matches up with some of the higher tier characters. He is ranked 20th when it comes to tournaments. He is a pretty cool character to top it off.
Zero Suit Samus- I am surprised most don’t rank her higher. She seems like she could fit into even High tier. She matches up decently with the upper tier characters and has more good matchups then bad.
Lucas- He gives a couple of higher tier characters a handful and just barely has more good matchups then bad.
Donkey Kong- He may be even higher than this. From what I have heard his range gives quite a few characters some problems. He doesn’t have as good of matchups as those above him. However, For a mid tier character he has a great tournament ranking. He currently ranks 11th. When everyone else ranks in the 20’s this is noticeable.
Ness- Trying to hold onto a good tier spot after the whole chain grab incident.
Luigi- He gives a couple of upper tier characters some trouble. He lacks a lot of good matchus though. In terms of matchup ranking he is just below Ness.
Mario- Although buffed from Melee he still isn’t up to caliber with the rest of the cast. He has hardly any good matchups, but he is pretty neutral with almost all of the cast.
Bowser- I am sorry bowser fans, but it really pains me just to put him here. His matchups are so bad. Almost that of bottom tier characters. I just his ftilt and Bowsercide save him though.

This tier was tricky to do since some characters looked like they felt more at place in low tier or bottom tier. Interesting to note, all but DK rank in the 20’s when it comes to tournaments.

Low
Sheik- She has the best matchups of all of them. In fact matchup wise, she seems to fit into mid tier. Her tournament ranking also seems well suited for mid tier.
Peach- She has a pretty good tournament ranking but her matchups aren’t that great.
Pokemon Trainer- I didn’t bother with him. So I just put him here. I did note that he has the second worse tournament ranking.
Ike- Has pretty good tournament record and comparatively not too bad of matchups.
Sonic – Has slightly better matchups then Ike but does a good bit worse at tournaments.
Yoshi- Matchups are bad and tournament ranking is the worst. Yoshi seems well suited for even bottom tier.

This tier must be hard. All that flak from Sonic, Ike, and Pokemon trainer mainers who think their character is good. Well at least the Ike players have hope since he does alright at tournaments. I must note though that some characters do well in tournaments while others do awful. This group has no real pattern like middle tier.

Bottom Tier

Link- Has the best Matchups of bottom tier. In fact he has matchups that could be considered good for even low tier.
Samus- Has worse matchups then link but maybe low tier worthy.
Jigglypuff
Gannondorf
Captain Falcon

I think bottom tier is almost completely set in stone. Interesting to note all of the bottom Tier characters have tournament rankings of below 30.

So I guess I will make a tier list

Top Tier
Snake
Metaknight
Mr. Game and Watch
Marth
Falco
R.O.B.

Very High
Toon Link
Pit
Zelda
Olimar
Wolf

High Tier
Wario
Pikachu
Ice Climbers
King Dedede
Kirby
Diddy Kong
Fox
Middle tier
Lucario
Zero Suit Samus
Lucas
Donkey Kong
Ness
Luigi
Mario

Low tier
Sheik
Peach
Bowser
Pokemon Trainer
Ike
Sonic

Bottom Tier
Link
Samus
Yoshi
Jigglypuff
Gannon
Captain Falcon

Points to note, Yoshi just seemed to bad matchup wise to be with the rest of low tier. Bowser didn’t have the matchups to be with middle tier, he may even be able to go lower. Middle and High need a lot of discussion in my opinion. Note I based this off of the character Matchups and tournament rankings. I wanted to add pros and cons but the only way to do that accurately was to make the pros and cons weighted. That would take way too much time. I used longhorns/Nigerian star storm’s tier list as a good starting point.

Top Tier:
Snake Rank 1 (1 great, 23 good, 10 neutral, 4 bad)
Meta Knight rank 2 ( 1 great, 30 good, 5 neutral, 2 bad)
Mr. Game and Watch Rank 5 (5 great, 26 good, 5 neutral, 2 bad)
Marth Rank 6 (3 greats, 25 good, 7 neutral, 3 bad)
Falco Rank 9 (2 great, 24 good, 9 neutral, 3 bad)
R.O.B.Rank 7 (24 good, 8 neutral, 6 bad)
Toon Link* Rank 16 (24 good, 11 neutral, 3 bad)

High Tier:
Ice Climbers Rank 19 (19 good, 10 neutral, 9 bad)
Wolf Rank 10 (22 good, 10 neutral, 5 bad, 1 really bad)
Olimar Rank 17 (2 great, 19 good, 9 neutral, 8 bad)
King Dedede Rank 3 (11 good, 9 neutral, 18 bad)
Pikachu Rank 8 (1 great, 18 good, 10 neutral, 8 bad, 1 really bad)
Diddy Kong Rank 26 (14 good, 11 neutral, 13 bad)
Zelda Rank 31 (23 good, 9 neutral, 6 bad)
Pit Rank 13 (24 good, 9 neutral, 5 bad)
Fox Rank 11 (11 good, 14 neutral, 12 bad, 1 really bad)
Wario Rank 4 (3 great, 10 good, 16 neutral, 9 bad)
Kirby* Rank 14 (18 good, 9 neutral, 11 bad)

Mid Tier:
Lucario Rank 20 (13 good, 17 neutral, 8 bad)
Lucas Rank 22 (1 great, 14 good, 9 neutral, 13 bad, 1 really bad)
ZSS Rank 23 m(16 good, 12 neutral, 10 bad)
Donkey Kong Rank 11 (10 good, 12 neutral, 16 bad)
Ness Rank 28 (12 good, 6 neutral, 18 bad, 2 really bad)
Luigi Rank 25 (9 good, 7 neutral, 22 bad)
Bowser Rank 27 (4 good matchups, 6 neutral, 27 bad, 1 really bad)
Mario Rank 29 (5 good matchups, 14 neutral, 19 bad)

Low tier :
Peach* Rank 18 (4 good, 13 neutral, 21 bad)
Sheik Rank 24 (9 good, 17 neutral, 12 bad)
Pokemon Trainer Rank 36
Yoshi Rank 37 (2 good, 8 neutral, 28 bad)
Ike Rank 12 (7 good, 6 neutral, 25 bad)
Sonic Rank 21 (7 good, 11 neutral, 19 bad, 1 really bad)

Bottom Tier:
Link Rank 34 (10 good, 11 neutral, 17 bad)
Samus Rank 35 (12 good, 4 neutral, 22 bad)
Jigglypuff Rank 30 (5 good, 7 neutral, 25 bad, 1 really bad)
Ganondorf Rank 33 ( 2 good, 6 neutral, 26 bad, 4 really bad)
Captain Falcon Rank 32 (1 good matchup, 3 neutral, 24 bad, 7 really bad)

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
^ this is the best teir list i have seen in this thread. It might not be perfect but i think its pretty good

Man_With_Thooo

Smash Apprentice
I just felt like making my own tier list and posting it here. Critique, please.

Top Tier:
Snake
Meta Knight
Mr. Game and Watch
Marth
Falco
R.O.B.
Toon Link

High Tier:
Ice Climbers
Pikachu
Wolf
King Dedede
Zelda
Pit
Olimar
Diddy Kong
Fox
Kirby
Pokemon Trainer
Wario

Mid Tier:
Lucario
Lucas
Donkey Kong
Luigi
ZSS
Ness
Bowser
Peach

Low tier :
Ike
Mario
Sheik
Yoshi
Sonic

Bottom Tier:
Link
Jigglypuff
Samus
Ganondorf
Captain Falcon

:p

massimo009

Smash Cadet
GaW needs to be a little lower in the top tier, donkey kong needs to go WAAAY up, and what Blad01 said, but one of the good tier lists ive seen

Browny

Smash Hater
@ metalmonstar

argh dont write tier lists based on the match up chart.....

if you conviniently ignore Dededes SUPPOSEDLY shocking match ups vs so many characters, why do you also ignore sonics decent tourney placements? Zelda is another example of these discrepencies.

your list seems to have its weighting completely random, you gotta keep it constant throughout.

Eclipse_the_Sun

Smash Rookie
I think ZSS needs to be at least low high tier as she is fast, can combo well, has decent ko potential and even though her recovary is gimpable its still the best tether in the game

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
@ metalmonstar:
Bah wall of text -_-
The idea of basing the tier list off the matchup chart is interesting.
However, a tier list isn't supposed to be a list of matchups or a list of tourney results. Those things can be accurate representatives of a tier list but shouldn't actually be taken as such, especially since the current chart is often innacurate.
However, this is still a pretty good list, especially for so early in your posting career. Kudos. I would say that Pit, Zelda and Olimar are quite overrated here. Wario still seems a little high, his tournament winnings are partly because no one has figured him out yet. Diddy and Fox seem high, and Kirby should be at the bottom of high tier. ZSS, Lucas and Ness are all one or two spaces too high, and DK and Luigi should be where Zamus is now. Sonic and Yoshi should be moved to the top of low tier. Boozer HAS to be higher on some list >_>

Benjamin Linus

Smash Apprentice
I just felt like making my own tier list and posting it here. Critique, please.

Top Tier:
Snake
Meta Knight
Mr. Game and Watch
Marth
Falco
R.O.B.
Toon Link

High Tier:
Ice Climbers
Pikachu
Wolf
King Dedede
Zelda
Pit
Olimar
Diddy Kong
Fox
Kirby
Pokemon Trainer
Wario

Mid Tier:
Lucario
Lucas
Donkey Kong
Luigi
ZSS
Ness
Bowser
Peach

Low tier :
Ike
Mario
Sheik
Yoshi
Sonic

Bottom Tier:
Link
Jigglypuff
Samus
Ganondorf
Captain Falcon

:p
Im sorry but this list is flawed in many ways. i dont believe you looked around at results from tournaments much before posting this list. first of all the top 5 in the game right now are snake,MK, DEDEDE, toon link, and G&W (not in any particular order). if you dont believe me ask anyone involved in tourney play. second its very hard to determine the rest of the tier list because i dont think under the top 5 characters have been payed attention to much. the game has been released for a short time and their are so many characters that i dont think there has been enough tourneys to determine anything further then the top 5.

second, for some reason it seems to be a popular assumption that marth is still one of the best in this game. i believe your tier list was mistakenly made based on how good you think the characters are. marth would not be top if that is the case because alot of his redeeming qualities from melee were revoked. His ability to combo was his greatest asset and with brawl physics that is not possible. marth would probably be mid-low tier in a tier list for character ability. i say this because he lacks the things needed to be top tier in brawl. which are...

Extreme speed (as in attack speed and move speed)
Range w/ power
Spamable projectiles
chain grab

Im sorry but this list is flawed in many ways. i dont believe you looked around at results from tournaments much before posting this list. first of all the top 5 in the game right now are snake,MK, DEDEDE, toon link, and G&W (not in any particular order). if you dont believe me ask anyone involved in tourney play. second its very hard to determine the rest of the tier list because i dont think under the top 5 characters have been payed attention to much. the game has been released for a short time and their are so many characters that i dont think there has been enough tourneys to determine anything further then the top 5.

second, for some reason it seems to be a popular assumption that marth is still one of the best in this game. i believe your tier list was mistakenly made based on how good you think the characters are. marth would not be top if that is the case because alot of his redeeming qualities from melee were revoked. His ability to combo was his greatest asset and with brawl physics that is not possible. marth would probably be mid-low tier in a tier list for character ability. i say this because he lacks the things needed to be top tier in brawl. which are...

Extreme speed (as in attack speed and move speed)
Range w/ power
Spamable projectiles
chain grab

Too bad Marth and MK don't have any projectiles at all, and aside from Falco none of his Top Tier characters have a CG. Snake also moves relatively slows (but attacks fast I'll admit). Learn what your talking about please.

Anyways, that list is pretty good, but pretty **** similar to mine

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
Meh, why not, here's the most up to date tier list I have that seems to get people thinking :\

Top Tier - They don’t have any match-ups that are less than 40% in their favor and they have a lot of match-ups more than 60% in their favor

Snake
Pikachu

High Tier - They have many match-ups that are more than 60% in their favor and not many match-ups that are less than 40% in their favor

Zelda/Sheik
Metaknight
Toon Link
Mr. Game & Watch
Falco
Dedede
Luigi
Ice Climbers
ROB
Marth

Middle Tier - They have a few match-ups that are more than 60% in their favor and a few match-ups that are less than 40% in their favor

Pit
Diddy Kong
Kirby
Zero Suite Samus
Ness
Bowser
Mario
Pokemon Trainer
Fox
Donkey Kong
Yoshi
Wario

Low Tier - They have many match-ups that are less than 40% in their favor and not many match-ups that are more than 60% in their favor

Lucario
Pikmin & Olimar
Link
Wolf
Peach
Sonic
Captain Falcon
Samus
Jigglypuff
Ganondorf

Bottom Tier - They don’t have any match-ups that are more than 60% in their favor and they have a lot of match-ups less than 40% in their favor

Ike
Lucas

St. Viers

Smash Champion
wait, zelda is advantaged v G&W? how exactly? I can maybe see easy kills off the top, except that you can DI out of the up-smash...

Dexter Morgan

Smash Apprentice
My stance on Ike:

He is definitely not high tier. No, I'm not bashing Ike, but simply stating what I believe to be truth.

He has way too many bad match-ups. He only fairs well against Captain Falcon, Luigi, Fox, Jigglypuff, Kirby, Yoshi, and Squirtle. Every other character shouldn't have much trouble gimping, camping, and simply just defeating Ike.

True, Ike can score some good KOs at really low percentages, but you'd have to get hit first in order for that to happen. I would only describe two of Ike's attacks as quick, those being Quick Draw, and his Bair. Since, Bair requires the user to jump first, it already sends the opponent a message that you're about to attack.

Ike's recovery is also pretty bad. Sure, Quick Draw can help the player with horizontal recovery, but the fact that one can easily gimp it (ie. Pit's Mirror Shield) means that its usefulness as a recovery option decreases. Aether only works for vertical recoveries.

Ike is also becoming quite predictable nowadays. Since his physics don't allow for more ATs, Ike's game is pretty straightforward. Compared to someone like Snake, Ike doesn't seem capable of much.

Now, I'm not saying Ike deserves bottom or low tier. Despite being, slow, big, and predictable, Ike possesses some handy tools in his moveset. Tools that allow him to compete with the other characters. His Fair, jabs, and out of the shield tactics are really good tools. I'd put him around the lower mid.

Grunt

Smash Master
My stance on Ike:

He is definitely not high tier. No, I'm not bashing Ike, but simply stating what I believe to be truth.

He has way too many bad match-ups. He only fairs well against Captain Falcon, Luigi, Fox, Jigglypuff, Kirby, Yoshi, and Squirtle.
Whaaaaaaaaat?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I think ZSS needs to be at least low high tier as she is fast, can combo well, has decent ko potential and even though her recovary is gimpable its still the best tether in the game
ZSS's recovery is NOT gimpable.

It's not actually Tether based at all. Her Down-B is used to gain height and distance. It can wall kick, attack directly, and be attacked after it is done if I recall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom