• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Tier List v7

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
Apparently Shaky is the comeback king? What he did was a huge comeback with Mr. Eric lol and when I mm'ed him I was up 2 stocks game 3 and he still won. He also beat MX in 2 mm's apparently after he was about to lose both. With Ness... I don't even.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
With Ness... I don't even.
I don't think it's very weird. Ness kills ridiculously early and is easily a high tier character when he isn't the victim of an infinite (when it's banned or when a character doesn't have one).

Grab release shenanigans are a problem but they're a problem for plenty of "other" good characters too. Take away that game-breaking weakness and his other flaws become more reasonable and certainly more manageable.

In terms of having the capacity to make comebacks I'd rank Ness very high due to his high damage output, early kills, and good strings. Plus he has a dumb jab lock on like everyone that while not common, isn't impractical either.

And another note: while Ness' tier list position is more or less accurate (+ a few spots maybe), his tier list position is also based on a few very, very bad situations and when he's not faced directly with those circumstances it doesn't matter.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Here are some of Ness' tournament results.
7th at Whobo 4
1st at Whobo 4 Mid tiers
33rd at Apex 2012
25th at Apex 2013

I think there are other good Ness results but i don't remember them.

I would put Ness above Kirby or Rob.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
To provide a better comparison, here are some of ROB's results:

9th at Apex 2012, 33rd as well if you count Holy (which, if we're counting FOW's Ness when he probably went more MK we should definitely count Holy)
7th, 25th and 33rd at Impulse, and 2nd if we want to count Ally's ROB, though we probably shouldn't since he didn't win a full set with ROB
33rd at WHOBO 4
idk if Kiraflax used any ROB at Sktar but he got 33rd there
Same thing at ReveLAtions, Kiraflax got 9th but idk how much ROB he used
25th at SRT

I think that is pretty similar to the Ness results, with more people getting the results as well.

Somebody else can do Kirby since I don't care about him :p

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
That's the problem though. We don't really know how much ROB was used in each tourney.
At IMPULSE Holy only used ROB and got 7th, Ally only used ROB against Dabuz in WFs (and he lost 3-2 iirc). 25th and 33rd at IMPULSE aren't really worth mentioning.
OCEAN went all ROB at Apex 2012 and got 9th which is great. Holy's 33rd at Apex 2012 I'm pretty sure was 100% MK (he tells me he never uses ROB in MK-legal tournies) and back then, FOW pretty much went full Ness except for going MK against a few MUs (Snake and Marth is what I've been told, probably against DDD and DK as well)
33rd at WHOBO4 isn't really worth mentioning
Same with what you mentioned about SKTAR and ReveLAtions, especially since we don't know how much ROB was used.
25th at SRT, I'm not exactly sure how good that is since I don't follow Japan's scene very much XD Who was it and who did they beat?

Not trying to imply that Ness > ROB but it definitely looks like Ness has better results in total, outside of Apex 2012

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I think Luminous' Rob got 25th at SRT. I don't think there were any other Rob's.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I'd say that neither character's tourney results allow us to give a well educated judgment over whom is better. In such a case it'd make more sense to look at the players who have lost to either of these two characters.

M2K, Kakera, Mikeneko, Vinnie, ESAM, Atomsk, Shu, Leon and Ramin are the best players I can think of that have dropped sets to ROB. MK, ICs, Marth, DDD, Snake and Pikachu are the character and this list is based on two ROB players [Ocean, Luminous, Holy and 8bitman].
The best players that have lost to Ness are DEHF, Abadango, Ryo, Denti, RichBrown and Tyrant. Falco, Wario, MK, Olimar and Ike and the list is based on two Ness players.

If you look at it that way ROB probably has an edge.

:059:

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
ROB is a better character simply because he doesn't get invalidated by any character that releases him to the ground. My point was just that Ness is a good character other than that, so he can thrive in many matchups where it isn't a factor as well as any tournament at which the infinite is banned.

Ness doing well occasionally, even frequently, should be expected, but winning is a tall order, even if MK is banned.

Ness is the very definition of a good character held back by a single fatal flaw. His recovery is bad, but that's not an invalidating problem necessarily, just a flaw, of which high tier characters have many.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
MVD lost to Shaky in a recent encounter, NR lost to Shaky at Genesis 2 and from what I've heard ESAM (with Pikachu) used to have a losing record vs Shaky (pretty sure this was before he picked up ICs).
When did Nakat lose to Ness? O.o

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
He didn't - that was my mistake. I misread the apex bracket thinking Nakat lost to Shaky when he actually lost to Ryo.

:059:

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
M2K, Kakera, Mikeneko, Vinnie, ESAM, Atomsk, Shu, Leon and Ramin are the best players I can think of that have dropped sets to ROB. MK, ICs, Marth, DDD, Snake and Pikachu are the character and this list is based on two ROB players [Ocean, Luminous, Holy and 8bitman].
4 ROB players*

Also going by that list and MU chart 2.0, ROB players have won MUs that are -3 (MK), -2 (Dedede), -1 (Snake, Pikachu), and Even (Marth, ICs) against High/Top level players.

Ness players, on the other hand, have won MUs that are -2 (Falco), -1 (Wario, Ike), and Even (Olimar) against High/Top level players.

What Marth, DK and D3 players have Ness players beaten? Even if they aren't high/top level players, as long as they're, say, upper mid they should be taken into consideration because of the difficulty of the MU

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I lost to shaky.
I'm probably the book definition of upper mid player.

He knew Ness against Marth a lot more than I knew it (although I had like 1.5 years of a Ness main in my region from brawl's release). I wasn't well versed in dealing with Ness' full hop forward air.
I don't think I would consistently lose to Shaky if I had more 2012 meta [play]time in the MU.

Cassio

Smash Master
ESAM used to trade sets with shaky, which was a big deal in FL since everyone else had bad losing records. Lately though Shakys been doing less well as ESAM's integrated the grab releases into his game. I think Lucas and Ness could cause a lot of trouble for pika, with Ness a potential soft counter, if not for the grab releases. The issue is once Ness (and lucas) are offstage pika can have a field day.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
It is kinda unfortunate that Ness' results are solely held up by Shaky (since FOW just... doesn't use Ness anymore and Yink left ages ago), it makes it harder to judge him, even though I usually say 'well if one person can do it, it's possible for other people too'. I think the deal with Shaky is he's used to people picking on Ness' easily known weaknesses (GR and recovery) and has taken steps to make sure it's much less of a problem. I actually find it a bit different with Lucas top players in that they just kinda forge on with it anyway and have other techniques to help them achieve the win but really, this could just be me. I dunno.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Anyone wanna play a game of Mad Libs?

"If _______ didn't _______, he/she would be _______-tier"

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I'll start:

"If icies didn't have a chain grab, they would be C-tier"
"If ness didn't have 10 extra frames of lag, he would be D-tier"
"If ZSS didn't suck, she'd be B-tier"
"If MK didn't have Nado, he'd be H-tier"

IceArrow

Smash Lord
If MK didn't have nado, he'd still be S Tier.
If Falco didnt have lasers, he'd be E Tier.
If Snake didn't have Up-Tilt, he'd be B Tier.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I'll start:

"If MK didn't have Nado, he'd be H-tier"
I think MK's tornado is a very useful tool for some match ups, but I don't think he needs it and he would still be the best character with out it. I think he would still win the match ups where he can spam tornado even with out it.
It would probably be harder for MK to land sometimes, but that's not enough for other characters to be better than him.

[Corn]

Smash Ace
If Ganon wasnt Ganon, he would be above H tier
If Icies didnt have a dumb Nana, they would be super S tier.
If Snake wasnt a psychic, he would be c tier.

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
If Jigglypuff didn't have Rollout, she'd be I-tier

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
If Link had recovery, he would be C tier... Well... He would probably still only be at mid D tier at best...

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Are we allowed to edit our posts on that thread? If so, do we post it in the thread that we have done so or do we PM kewkky or what? =)

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Are we allowed to edit our posts on that thread? If so, do we post it in the thread that we have done so or do we PM kewkky or what? =)
PM'ing me would be preferred. I don't mind getting pm'd by lots of people if it means I don't get confused with the votes later on. Needless to say, once we're closing up the thread, I'll review all the votes and people's posts to make sure I didn't make a mistake.

EDIT: If you'd like to, you can also edit your vote. Otherwise, just PM me and I'll change your vote myself. Not too much work, but an extra helping hand from the sender is always appreciated.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
PM'ing me would be preferred. I don't mind getting pm'd by lots of people if it means I don't get confused with the votes later on. Needless to say, once we're closing up the thread, I'll review all the votes and people's posts to make sure I didn't make a mistake.
Ah coolio. Thanks kewkky!! =D =D =D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom