• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Tier List v7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
But regardless Tyrant is still 1-1 as MK against a low tier.

Which is exactly my point, MK IS beatable.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Well, I haven't played Pokemon competitively since the prime time of the 386 metagame but I've always been under the impression that smogon was way too premature when it came to banning Pokemon. Point in case is Mewtwo who has rightfully banned in the RBY metagame but was actually not broken after that and could've probably been re-legalized for GSC and everything that followed. Also, by now - I believe - there are so many "broken" Pokemon that that bunch by itself could form a healthy metagame of its own with like 30ish [?] different Pokemon being usable making a ban on any of them look a bit questionable to me. But like I said, I haven't played in a while so idk, I think Pokemon were banned more hastily than I think they should've and I don't think MK is good enough to allow for a comparison anyway.

:059:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
No... no Mewtwo could not have lmfao. Mewtwo being legal in OU for any Gen is crazy. Earlier Gens were fantastic for Mewtwo because not only did he have little competition as far as ridiculous stats went, there were no choice scarfs no Pokemon abilities etc. Blazingly fast hit hard on both fronts don't even get started with recover. Later Gens were still amazing for Mewtwo because he could run Calm Mind Sweeper, Mixed, Choice Spec or Scarf, Support/Stall, etc

Latest Gen he got Psystrike which uses the opponents Defense stat instead of Special Defense stat (it's a Special Attack). Means he beats more people during calm mind wars and gets past special walls much easier without resorting to Physical Attacks. Don't have to carry Submission or XYZ physical attack and possibly EV spec into attack to beat people (another advantage in earlier Gens for Mewtwo when it came to hitting on both sides, you weren't limited in EV spread basically so you could always have full SA Speed AT Def etc)

Like seriously Gheb, least as far as Mewtwo is concerned you couldn't be more wrong. He's consistently been Uber level. Now if you wanna talk about "flakey" Pokemon like Salamence and Garchomp that's fine. Because those two Pokemon were a lot more reasonable and there was just debate on how "easy" it was to counter them. Garchomp in the sand was a hard situation because even your dedicated counter could miss due to his Ability. Wasn't fair and made games more coin flip/random based. Sweep potentially allowed due to Ice Beam from Starmie missing was not a very fun idea for most people.

Salamence had the issue of how unpredictable he could be, and how heavily punished you were if you guessed wrong. Like say you assume it would be the DD set, so you switch to your counter. All of a sudden you find out he's Mixed, kills your counter, and especially if it was say DD + Special move like Draco Meteor or Fire Blast, now you didn't have a counter to the other side of him and he still DD sweeps you. Salamence was easily more countered than Garchomp (assuming Sand) but was terrifying as far as "what set will he run, because if it's a different set than I imagined I'm probably ****ed' where as Garchomp you always basically knew what set he was gonna do. If he went a different path than SD/Sand sweep it was much more easier to handle power wise etc. Then you have the question of Latios and Latias, although with the current gen it was made quite obvious due to Soul Dew being gone (the Item basically made both of them Uber)

Flayl

Smash Hero
I wonder how much more "flakey" pokémon could be before even fans stopped playing it competitively.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
He was something cool til Soul Dew decided to get lost

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I still use Latios in one of my main OU teams.

But my real bro is Lanturn, been Charge Beaming mother****ers for days in OU.

And eviolite Piloswine, tanking *****es and ice sharding for days.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Point in case is Mewtwo who has rightfully banned in the RBY metagame but was actually not broken after that and could've probably been re-legalized for GSC and everything that followed.
ITT: People who don't play competitive pokemon thinking they understand competitive Pokemon. Especially Ubers.

/ubersplayer

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
+1 to Z for seeing the prowess of lantun in OU. :happysheep:

Also:

Latest Gen he got Psystrike which uses the opponents Defense stat instead of Special Defense stat (it's a Special Attack).
It's called Psyshock. EDIT: nvm didn't realize Mewtwo got a derp move like that. :happysheep:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
+1 to Z for seeing the prowess of lantun in OU. :happysheep:

Also:

It's called Psyshock. EDIT: nvm didn't realize Mewtwo got a derp move like that. :happysheep:
Mewtwo was given his own version of Psyshock with higher base power. Psyshock is still very good for other calm mind sweepers when they get it, gives them a way to get through other calm mind and the blissey/chanseys of the game.

Lanturn is poop slow, what are you doing with him in OU?

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
Lanturn fills several roles on my RD teams. Generally his most important roles are heal belling and soaking up electric moves. I also use him as a stockpile+charge beam sweeper and for crippling physical attackers with scald burns. He's a fairly decent wall overall since his HP is great and his defs aren't unviably bad. :happysheep:

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
@Z'z: Was your last big post targeted at me? I play Pokemon competitively too, and my post clearly agreed with your sentiment. I know how the tier system works there, it gives otherwise obsolete Pokemon their own metagames to shine in. Pokemon doesn't even try to be balanced or has any semblance of balance, so the competitive community worked around it with their unique tier system. In fact, the last line of my post said that you CAN'T APPLY SMOGON'S SYSTEM TO SMASH. I don't think anybody was honestly advocating that, but I made my post anyway, just in case. I'll repeat it again, Smogon's tier system is more than different from Smash's tier system. Comparing Kyogre/Mewtwo/Arceus to MK just doesn't work.

Oh yeah, and anyone is welcome to get at me in Pokemon Showdown. ;)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Yeah get rid of Lanturn, use better Pokemons on RD/Drizzle Teams

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
leave the kid alone, nobody picks the best character in everything. its pretty hypocritical to get on him like that when you two play sonic and wario in brawl lol.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
No, that's entirely different. Using Wario is more like using the less popular OU Pokemon. Using Sonic is like using Jumpluff to be annoying.

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
I prefer using bad pokemon for my walls. If I wanted advice for my teams then I'd ask, but I don't so please get off my back. :happysheep:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Well god damn you rainbow sheep hoarder!

Like I always said, if I could run a team of 6 Machamps I would

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
@Z'z: Was your last big post targeted at me? I play Pokemon competitively too, and my post clearly agreed with your sentiment. I know how the tier system works there, it gives otherwise obsolete Pokemon their own metagames to shine in. Pokemon doesn't even try to be balanced or has any semblance of balance, so the competitive community worked around it with their unique tier system. In fact, the last line of my post said that you CAN'T APPLY SMOGON'S SYSTEM TO SMASH. I don't think anybody was honestly advocating that, but I made my post anyway, just in case. I'll repeat it again, Smogon's tier system is more than different from Smash's tier system. Comparing Kyogre/Mewtwo/Arceus to MK just doesn't work.

I challenge you to a showdown!!!!!

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558

I suppose playing pokemon as a side is a favourite past-time with bowsers?

Sorry i'm kidding, dre was the first person I met who told me he played pokemon competitively.

it also made me sad to hear that Charizard was the weakest of the three starters. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom