• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Tier List v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Why are all of you ranking Peach so low?
"Peach sucks. Her players are amazing but her results aren't that good. She has a killing problem which cannot be fixed anyhow. Her mobility is slow. She still hasn't done anything yet. She has a range problem (???). Her match-ups are overrated. She doesn't not have a high learning curve, she's just not that great. Other characters are better than she is."

La fin.

It's ok though, on v7 she'll rise again :rolleyes:

:053:

Steam

Smash Hero
Seconding this on both accounts.

Wolf switching is warranted on his results alone, and what reason does Wario have to drop?
what major does wolf have other than Choice winning a million illinois locals? I honestly don't really know.

and Wolf should probably be above pit... I think I may have put pit too high.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
this is late but also lol @ niddo's "the results aren't posted on this website, so to me they don't exist" argument.

and at "jigglypuff sucks".
what a double standard.
jigglypuff has better results than a few of the other characters in that tier, except apparently results don't matter for her when they're all you consider for basically every other character?

Such idiocy.

V

Smash Ace
Results either factor into every character's placing or they don't factor for any of them. There can't be double standards.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
this is late but also lol @ niddo's "the results aren't posted on this website, so to me they don't exist" argument.

and at "jigglypuff sucks".
what a double standard.
jigglypuff has better results than a few of the other characters in that tier, except apparently results don't matter for her when they're all you consider for basically every other character?

Such idiocy.
Fox mains are claiming they should be moving up/that it wasn't an overhyped tier list. Their best player is in a region that doesn't post results. That can make a huge difference in what the actual results are.

The results for the lower 7 or so are all pitifully bad. There isn't much to go by there at all, and one half decent result can switch stuff easily down in that part of the list.

Obvious reasons are obvious.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
what major does wolf have other than Choice winning a million illinois locals? I honestly don't really know.

and Wolf should probably be above pit... I think I may have put pit too high.
Kain is in Illinois. He has won regionals too and OoS tourneys too. Beaten Lain a lot lol... Choice is in NorCal. Whiile Choice hasn't been too active he did perform very well at every Mlg except Dallas if I recall correctly. He also has done well at all of his locals. I believe Viviff has results in Oregon, but I have no idea about that other then he is PR'd 3rd. I have done well at several locals and OoS. Pit isn't that good.

And the characters that give Wolf trouble are D3 and Pikachu the most. Fox has Ics, Pikachu, and Sheik. Fox has more ofa likelihood of running into his death matchups then Wolf's disadvantage matchups. Wolf doesn't get as hard countered as Fox does loool. Mk's negate all of Wolf's/Fox's bad matchups anyways =).

:phone:

Tagxy

Smash Lord
I dont think WC will be posting their results here.

I agree with browny, theres nothing special about the top 7 anymore. Regardless of where characters are placed the top 9 should be separated from those below them, and potentially a separate tier for the top 4 as well.

Because Marth's getting 9th at large tournaments instead of 7th means he's a bad character.
When youre being outperformed by other characters its not unreasonable. Its not about bad or good characters, especially since everyone in high tier is more or less 'good'. Its a comparison of one against another.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
'sacred seven' lmao

That stopped being relevant two years ago. Its all about the undisputed top 4 now. The next rung of relevant characters goes to 9.

I have heard a lot of different opinions for top 4 from different top players in priv. convo many times so I don't really get the whole undisputed thing.

Some people still think Snake is 2nd/3rd best. Others think he is garbage
Some people think Diddy is 2nd/3rd best, Others think if people learn to use bananas better he would drop a decent amount
Some people think ICs are 2nd, and others think he's like top 10 lol
I have also heard varying places for Marth, Falco, Wario

The only thing pretty much everyone agrees on is mk lol

Browny

Smash Hater
I would bet a reasonable sum of money that mk snake diddy and falco will be top 4 next list, the 'different' opinions may have 1 different character thrown into the mix, but from what I've seen/heard/talked about for a very long time, overall those 4 are always there by a considerable margin.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
I would bet a reasonable sum of money that mk snake diddy and falco will be top 4 next list, the 'different' opinions may have 1 different character thrown into the mix, but from what I've seen/heard/talked about for a very long time, overall those 4 are always there by a considerable margin.
How much money you willing to bet? :troll:
*splits with BBR members*

I have a feeling snake won't be top 4 though

Tesh

Smash Hero
i see no reason for snake to drop below anyone besides diddy and mk. what falco? even if by some stretch....who ELSE could be considered above him?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I'm not digging around two sites to make sure I get every result, and I doubt I'm the only one who thinks this way. It's also not getting added into the various topics we have over here to compare character results/character usage and I'm not going to try to figure it out.

Seriously, WC dudes: Highlight your results when you post them on AiB, control + c, make a topic on smashboards, control + V. Ta-da! More data on various characters being added to those topics!
Then don't claim your data is correct then, nor the conclusion reached because of them.

Period.

If you know that data exists that drastically changes your data but refuse to seek it out and your conclusions do not incorporate it, then you at the very least need to have a disclaimer and put something like "this conclusion is the best I can make based on the data that I have used and my data ignores WC results". A better approach would be to ask somebody from WC to give you a rundown of the data that makes your criteria so you can incorporate it.

But saying that marth sucks because of tournament results while completely ignoring the results of his top player EVEN WHEN YOU KNOW HIS TOP PLAYER IS GETTING GOOD RESULTS is just completely intellectually dishonest.

On a related note, I think this very effectively illustrates the fallacy of relying solely on tournament results. Single people make much too drastic changes to the results, which means that which character rises and which character falls because the actual amount of relevant players is so low. The fact that one person emerging (and I'm not talking about one person that totally reinvents how the character is played, just one person that gets results. The difference being whether other players of that character substantially improve their results as a result) totally changes the results just illustrates how the number of top players is too small to be statistically significant.

This is especially true if you make the argument that top players are the metagame, if no player of a high enough caliber exists for that character, their metagame effectively doesn't exist for the purposes of tournament results.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Fox mains are claiming they should be moving up/that it wasn't an overhyped tier list. Their best player is in a region that doesn't post results. That can make a huge difference in what the actual results are.
Yeah ... it means fox's results should be better.

The results for the lower 7 or so are all pitifully bad. There isn't much to go by there at all, and one half decent result can switch stuff easily down in that part of the list.

Obvious reasons are obvious.
Obvious excuse for not wanting to admit you have a random bias towards jigglypuff is obvious.
They're still results, and according to you should be followed to a T, and if they can't be trusted, then what do you do now? Throw them in a random order because you (don't) like ______?

Steam

Smash Hero
Kain is in Illinois. He has won regionals too and OoS tourneys too. Beaten Lain a lot lol... Choice is in NorCal. Whiile Choice hasn't been too active he did perform very well at every Mlg except Dallas if I recall correctly. He also has done well at all of his locals. I believe Viviff has results in Oregon, but I have no idea about that other then he is PR'd 3rd. I have done well at several locals and OoS. Pit isn't that good.

And the characters that give Wolf trouble are D3 and Pikachu the most. Fox has Ics, Pikachu, and Sheik. Fox has more ofa likelihood of running into his death matchups then Wolf's disadvantage matchups. Wolf doesn't get as hard countered as Fox does loool. Mk's negate all of Wolf's/Fox's bad matchups anyways =).

my bad... mixed up choice and kain XD

Laem

Smash Champion
Give niddo a break he has a sleeping disorder so we just have to take his illogical ramblings with a grain of salt.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Well I have an ACTUAL sleep disorder, and I don't expect my **** to be taken with a grain of salt.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Yeah ... it means fox's results should be better.

Obvious excuse for not wanting to admit you have a random bias towards jigglypuff is obvious.
They're still results, and according to you should be followed to a T, and if they can't be trusted, then what do you do now? Throw them in a random order because you (don't) like ______?
Show me once where I said "we should exactly follow results for the tier list"

I'll wait, because you're going to be searching forever. I never once said that. Look at the rest of my tier list: it doesn't exactly follow the results thread. Results make up a large amount for tier list results now yes, but not all of it.

Heck, I'm the guy who argued for roughly a year that we shouldn't be using Reflex's PT results to place PT so high. I think I proved a long time ago that I don't follow results to a T, like you think I do for some bizarre reason.

Think before you speak, if you even speak at all.

@Laem: Eh, that's not quite it, though sleep related problems are a side effect.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I think people still to do this are holding onto results too much to actually look at anyone well.

Also playing double standard with not looking up results to justify a job is a terrible thing to suggest. Same with excluding out of country results unless their ruleset is changes drastically from ours. Japan makes sense because they play on three stages only, or one, Europe I see less reason to exclude them.

I understand we don't want another Pit where someone gets a boost without any reason or someone is holding a position they don't deserve, but sometimes there are cases where player base may actually be a reason.

Pokemon Trainer, who other than T-Block and Reflex uses him well? Might as well drop him into low tier seeing as no one plays him. The only reason people are justifying dropping Marth is results alone, that's it, I'm seeing nothing about Marth himself as a character as to why he is worse than others in A tier.

There is obviously something to it since there are people who claimed Pit was A tier yet he never anywhere gets results that reflect this, heck even looking at Pit you could justify him being lower make sense. Results do have a part in some cases for making a tier list, it gives you something to look at and try and understand why someone i shaving issues placing and why others are more successful, with videos you can analyze what works and what doesn't and what people are doing wrong.

The tier list however is not about strictly results and dropping characters because of it alone imo, is not a correct approach.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Pokemon Trainer, who other than T-Block and Reflex uses him well? Might as well drop him into low tier seeing as no one plays him. The only reason people are justifying dropping Marth is results alone, that's it, I'm seeing nothing about Marth himself as a character as to why he is worse than others in A tier.
I cant believe those two thought were in the same paragraph. Unless you were being sarcastic about Pokemon Trainer being in low tier, which he more or less is.

With anything competitive you dont just get an A for effort. This isnt a feel-good judgement where those who have good qualities are rewarded with being ranked high. You have to be better than those around you. Marth is in a competition with several other characters, and each of those characters can be described to have as many subjectively good qualities. So Marth falling short on his results leaves a big hole in his "Im better than those around me" resume.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Yes because Japan plays on more than 3 stages.
I've never heard of them playing more than that outside of when M2K and others were gonna fly out there and play.

I cant believe those two thought were in the same paragraph. Unless you were being sarcastic about Pokemon Trainer being in low tier, which he more or less is.
PT is not low tier.

With anything competitive you dont just get an A for effort. This isnt a feel-good judgement where those who have good qualities are rewarded with being ranked high. You have to be better than those around you. Marth is in a competition with several other characters, and each of those characters can be described to have as many subjectively good qualities. So Marth falling short on his results leaves a big hole in his "Im better than those around me" resume.
You failed to tell me why Marth is worse than those around him, why is Marth worse than all of A tier excluding results?

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom