• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Matchup Chart v1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
The problem is that technical skill doesn't equal wins. Sure it can improve your chances, but then you have to analyze the cost and benefits.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
DeLux - Out Tech Skilling Opponents without thinking since 2011

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
The problem is that technical skill doesn't equal wins. Sure it can improve your chances, but then you have to analyze the cost and benefits.
We'd rather focus on out thinking our opponent than out tech skilling people. good reads are consistent. tech skill can be dropped. at least thats how I see it.
You guys make it sound like you have to choose one or the other when it comes to tech skill and strategic, analytical play.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
I'm amazed at peoples laziness at paying attention to tech skill attributes like teching, DI, SDI, AT, followups, etc.. You don't even have to do it in training or on your own. Just commit to incorporating aspects in friendlies and eventually you get it down for most technical aspects. Some require a bit of outside practice but not much.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
You guys make it sound like you have to choose one or the other when it comes to tech skill and strategic, analytical play.
well in all fairness. I didnt get the chance to choose. My hands are clumsy, and my reaction time is trash. The only way I can get wins is by outthinking people.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
Can't tell if missed my sarcasm or wanting to troll me.
that there proves he successfully trolled you.

also if you take 2 people and teach one tech skill and basic knowledge with Ice Climbers (a character with unlimited tech skill potential) and take another person and teach them how to make solid reads and option selection with diddy (a character who is designed for reading with effective but limited tech skill), the diddy will be win more. however now take the person who doesn't want to lose anymore and teach him how to make solid reads and option selection while he can use his far superior tech skill to make better reads he will start to win more. now diddy's tech skill can only improve so much so now the character with better tech skill and option covering being on an equal reading level as his opponent, he will remain the guy who wins more than loses.

im really high so please someone let me know if that made sense

Doc King

Smash Lord
well in all fairness. I didnt get the chance to choose. My hands are clumsy, and my reaction time is trash. The only way I can get wins is by outthinking people.
We might as well just not change the metagame of Brawl and keep it current because of some of smashboards ppls poor little hands can't take on the simplest of tech skills.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
And that's why none of our notable Diddy mains (AFAIK) are using the single naner lock.
Pretty sure they all can. (it really isn't that difficult, depending on the character)
It's just extremely situational, and you won't get the set-up if your opponent knows how to avoid it (which isn't hard)

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
You should commit to sucking for a month in order to facilitate streamlining your controller layout for the long term gain imo

PM me about it, I swear it helps

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
@ Doc King - You're missing the point. People having personal limits means that it isn't feasible (or optimal) for them to focus on certain aspects of the game that they physically have issues with. I'm with Kid Goggles, but to a lesser degree. We both have little to offer in the ways of tech skill. I've practiced certain things for quite some time, but very little of it sticks, and my fingers are quite slow when it comes to more dexterous movements. Since we have personal limitations as far as tech skill goes, we work on what does stick for us: outthinking our opponents and thinking about the game in general.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Yeah, I'm weak technically, I just read a lot. It's been like that in every game I play. But i still practice my tech and have been practicing it for some weeks now. Good tech in addition to reads is what separates good players and bad players. Even if you're hella smart it only gets you so far, even in a thinky defensive game like this, i'm noticing.

zmx

Smash Lord
Spacing and reads is definitively much more important than tech skill. You can do well without tech skill. You can't do well without those two things.

I used to think this game was a matter of learning the most advanced techniques and then just throwing them at your opponent. That's not how it works. Smarter players will always win.

Tech skill compliments spacing and reads. Not the other way around.

Doc King

Smash Lord
Well I guess I can kind of understand. I have good tech skill, so it's hard to me to understand.

zmx

Smash Lord
Though I suppose it depends. How many people here consider excellent spacing to be technical skill? I think of it as a different kind of skill. Stuff like,BDACUS/ DACUS, B-reversals, CGs, Buffering etc. I would consider to be technical skill. But maybe that's just me.

Xubble

Smash Ace
@Doc King: So you're saying that you're not very smart? :troll:

I'm more of a mixed bag. I always try to tech bad landings and momentum cancel, but I can't DI very well. My SDI is pretty good, at least.

I'm capable of seeing simple patterns in my opponent's playstyle and abuse it, but I myself stay pretty predictable.

In the end, I just haven't played enough good players. I've learned all that I can learn on my own, I need more actual experience.

zmx

Smash Lord
^Facing level 9 CPUs should give you a good idea if you've learned all you can by yourself or not. If you can beat them easily with your main you probably have. Also facing them will allow you to notice patterns (yes they are often very predictable) and this will allow you to get used to looking for patterns. Not to mention it's a great way to practice DI, technical skill and a lot of other things at once.

It's better than just doing it in training because you at least have opponents and can somewhat emulate real matches.

zmx

Smash Lord
Perhaps not but you can still get rewards with zero tech skill. And sometimes it's better to go for a simple safe punish rather than a OMGzerodeathcombo-punish. I've lost track of times I've seen people go for the latter only to miss completely and get punished themselves. Though I suppose with good enough tech skill you'd never mess up but honestly I don't think there's anyone like that.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I can't count the number of times I've predicted an opponent and been unable to punish the way I intended or unable to use a technique I hadn't practiced nearly enough. You can make alot of reads and get pretty much nothing if you aren't in complete control of what you are doing.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
I think you mean you can get different types of rewards. Some punishers only work because your opponent doesn't read them. Tech skill can allow for a mix-up. Just look at bdacus

:phone:

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Salem convinced me that tech skill is important in Brawl. His tech skill actually created new options with ZSS, gave the character ways to punish moves that someone without his tech skill actually simply can't punish.

I think his tech skill is actually a huge reason he did so well at Concentrate 2, he repeatedly boned people for doing things they thought were safe only to be met with "nope, see, I can cancel this tether and side-b you," "nope, see i have tech skill, so there's an option to answer that ****."

-LzR-

Smash Hero
So where exactly does this magical techskill come in Brawl outside of SDI or awesome buffering?
Just look at my char, G&W, there is like absolutely nothing technical about him :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom