• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL AZ Power Rankings & Social Thread (Updated: 11/27/13)

Jackie

Smash Journeyman
The problem is finding a venue big enough, cheap enough, close enough to everyone, and well-equipped for handling a video game tournament. Then, on top of that, doing it on a day that is agreeable with everyone, at a reasonable price for everyone, and having that date free to reserve at the venue. Last, people have to be dedicated enough to actually come to it, to advertise it to get people outside the core community to come, and have everyone supplied with rides and housing.

It's easy to point a finger and say, "You lazy shmucks, hold a tournament," but it's a lot more of a ***** than picking a day and telling people to come.
Under the assumption that was directed to me:
I'm pulling a Trey Parker and Matt Stone. My statement was directed towards all of AZ, including me. Of course we always want a serious regional but we only host one once every ~4 years it seems.

I'm not sure why you made a list of difficulties, as if I was saying it's easy to host a regional or if somebody was believing that? But since you did, I'll add that AZ isn't appealing to pay money to travel to, especially in the summertime where it's easier to catch people with more flexible schedules.

I find it difficult to believe that we will ever have a truly successful melee regional because I can't think of anyone talented enough or willing to take that responsibility.

Blood Falcon11

Smash Apprentice
How about The Gaming Zone where the biweeklies are held at? The venue fee is only $5 and Tempe is close enough for Phoenix, Mesa, and Tuscon to come.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
How about The Gaming Zone where the biweeklies are held at? The venue fee is only $5 and Tempe is close enough for Phoenix, Mesa, and Tuscon to come.
It's still a good 2-hour drive from Tucson. If it's a big enough tourney it might work, but I find it more likely that it'll still end up being more like a Phoenix-area regional.

Blood Falcon11

Smash Apprentice
A good amount of Tuscon players showed up to THC4 IIRC, including Silly Kyle. I'm pretty sure that Mesa and Tempe are nearish the same distance away from Tuscon. If they showed up to a 16 person tournament, they'll probably show up to a 30+ person tournament.

AXE 09

Smash Master
may i know who is the main TO in AZ ? I need to get in touch with them ASAP
OkamiBW has been hosting most of our tournaments for the past few years, but he's moving to Cali this week. So... I guess we really don't have a main T.O. right now. I would still suggest to talk to Okami though.

:phone:

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Gaming Zone is too small to hold a tourney, as 50+ people would be cramped. You need a venue that is auditorium-sized in order to comfortably have a regional.

OkamiBW has been hosting most of our tournaments for the past few years, but he's moving to Cali this week. So... I guess we really don't have a main T.O. right now. I would still suggest to talk to Okami though.

If you're talking Melee, Alex Strife, K9 has not hosted very many; that is, true Melee tournaments with more than 12 entrants or whatnot. Taj has definitely hosted a solid amount in the past couple years...5-10? Perhaps you've already found whatever you're looking for, but I'll drop my thread just in case. Link's in my signature. Click on the pic.

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
Haha I never said I want to get back into smash I have a lot going on right now but I do miss melee. It's good to know that there is someone in flag though just in case.

Where do you live in flag, angel if you ever see this post?

Yes it's been a while vman. U going to apex?

Edit: you know what, I wouldn't mind playing a couple of friendlies with angel. I haven't touched the game in five years though.

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
I live on the NAU campus for most of the fall-spring academic year. Over the summer and winter breaks I usually go back home in fort mohave.

So... unfortunately I'm not in Flag at the moment and wont be until mid-January :/

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
I live on the NAU campus for most of the fall-spring academic year. Over the summer and winter breaks I usually go back home in fort mohave.

So... unfortunately I'm not in Flag at the moment and wont be until mid-January :/
Oh lame haha. Right now is perfect for me to play a little bit just because I have like nothing to do. My gf comes back around the same time you do (she, too, lives on campus) so once she's back I'm not sure if I'll have any extra time to play! (between her, school, and work)

I'll try to sneak in a few games with you though haha. Btw, I live right by the bashas next to fmc.

Hi corigames!

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
My FB friends may have already seen this, but ...

ZIM AND I GOT ENGAGED!!!!

We got engaged on Christmas Eve and I proposed at the Broadmoor Hotel with a ring that once belonged to her great great grandmother!

oksas

oak-sauce
Had fun playinng bomber man the other night didnt do so well but it can go either way you never know GG$ Melee!?
hahahah i just saw this man. you're the best brian

more tucson melee (and bomberman lol) next week, stay tuned!!!!

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
<3 and THAT is the theme of our wedding!
Uh ... NO.

Requiring guests to equip both a Kokiri sword and a Kokiri shield before they can even enter the venue is unreasonable with today's economy--and heaven forbid they should each show up with their own fairy. Now, I like to think I'm a man who can handle constructive criticism, but when I have to hear "Hey, listen!" every two seconds while all your relatives try to figure out my weak points ... And do you have ANY IDEA how long it would take us to leave the church if we had to Z-target each other all the way down the aisle and everyone was throwing Deku Nuts instead of rice?

AXE 09

Smash Master
"PRE-APEX" SMASHFEST!

THIS FRIDAY, Jan. 4th

TAJ'S PLACE

Starting at ~2pm, ending WHENEVER YOU GET MELEE'D OUT (I'll probably be there until ~2am)

-Endless friendlies?

-Money Matches??

-Crew battles???

BE THERE

You won't want to miss it

Top Bottom