• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Apex 2013 Results Thread | Jan 11-13, 2013 | New Brunswick NJ

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
I think the pool system we used this year worked and saved a LOT of time. I also think we should only take top 2 for next year cause I think only the BEST should make it out. GF shouldnt be played out but the rest should. Either that or make the pools have more people. Things we can look at for next weekend.
There are normally at least two really good players per pool :( I'd much rather see more people per pool.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I understand but 128 man bracket on sunday was a bit rough. Maybe if we find a way to do some of it on Sat it might work? I just feel that the bottom half should not be at apex bracket.

It is a tournament it is about who is the best. It's a little meh to see people get in based on us trying to make people "feel" better. No matter what people had a great time, low and high level, I think people made too much of a big deal of anything.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I understand but 128 man bracket on sunday was a bit rough.
It was doing really well imo until you had to move the streams and had every single top 8 match played out individually on the new stream. That ate like 5 hours or something. I don't think the system needs to be changed in any way.

:059:

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Hm. Well I will see.

I have my opinions on things but I am willing to hear suggestions. I do LOVE that everyone got friendlies and mostly everyone I talked to , new and old, loved that.

We will probably change how top 8 is done and go back to 2/3 and the like.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
I'd like to use Pool 1 as an example, Armada's pool. I now have to outplace 9 other people to make bracket? :(

There are also at least two other players(other than Armada) in that pool that deserve a spot in bracket. This as well as other pools. Would top 3 somehow be a possibility? Also with only two making it out getting bracket ***** would suck :(

I am biased my opinion shouldn't matter I still suck at this game currently lol

TreK

Is "that guy"
I understand but 128 man bracket on sunday was a bit rough. Maybe if we find a way to do some of it on Sat it might work? I just feel that the bottom half should not be at apex bracket.

It is a tournament it is about who is the best. It's a little meh to see people get in based on us trying to make people "feel" better. No matter what people had a great time, low and high level, I think people made too much of a big deal of anything.
Are there the pools results anywhere ? I'd like to match the results of the actual brackets with the results in pools to see if there was any high ranking player that wouldn't have made it out of pools if only top 2 went through.
Not judging though, I think that being the best is also about consistency so if somebody does bad in pools there's really no reason to give him another chance.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Are there the pools results anywhere ? I'd like to match the results of the actual brackets with the results in pools to see if there was any high ranking player that wouldn't have made it out of pools if only top 2 went through.
Not judging though, I think that being the best is also about consistency so if somebody does bad in pools there's really no reason to give him another chance.
I would like to see this as well.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Like I said I will look into it. I am throwing out ideas.

Everyone deserves to be in bracket. That is the problem. I won't say that you or others don't but I think there is a little too much entitlement that goes on in the community about who should make it in or not.

I have no problem keeping things the same as to the amount that makes it out but I also think, that being in the bracket of Apex has to be EARNED and doing that would be something I'd want to find a way to make better.

It is becoming more clear, at least at Apex, that RR cannot be done to the way I would like to allow friendlies and the like. At Zenith I always do it though.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I guess Ill just throw out that I would've liked a bit more tournament matches whether its pools or wtv... but I understand that the tournament isnt just Melee so it wont be possible to do pools.

AustinRC

Smash Lord
I feel the need to apologize to a specific player. The first person I played in pro bracket I believe his tag was Beiber dunno if you'll see this but here goes. I shouldn't have stuck out my hand before the match was over, I meant no disrespect and I apologize for that. Anyway shout outs maybe later maybe not there were so many people here.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Xyro77!!! You left your boneless wings in my frieza at the Heldrich!!!
Oh **** you wanted to battle with DBZ jokes. Im afraid i gotta forfeit cause i only knew that one. I do know one other joke that has gotten me more zair time with the ladies than any other joke. Im telling you, if you bust this joke out on some hot girl, she will LEAP on you and beg for an F-smash. Its TASTY!

What do you call a FAKE noodle?

An "IMPASTA"

im here all week

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
I was going to do shoutouts, but then those puns.

:phone:

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Update:

Guys I have been really sick...I don't mean to make you wait for your monies.

Also paypal is asking for huge chunks of it. Some people will just have to get a check mailed and some will get paypal. I will work it all out one by one tongiht.

Thank you guys for being patient.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
its only up to a certain amount.

I mean MOSTLY everyone is paid its just the huge amounts...those i can wire transfer

Diakonos

Smash Lord
Top two would be too much, unless you have more pools.

Example: I had Sung and Hax in my pool. I beat Sung in winners lost to Hax in WF, and lost to Sung in LF. By this logic, I wouldn't have made bracket even though I placed 25th overall in the real bracket and beat the guy who got out second.

What slowed things down was the top 12 matches all being streamed. This was super hype, but also time consuming. Don't really have an answer for it.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Well I am throwing stuff out there but I think we can definitely fix a few things but I love LOVE LOVE the format we used. I think top 8 on stream would be enough and we jsut have to work harder is all.

Dekillsage

Smash Lord
Brawl is slow so top 8 shouldn't be put on hold to be streamed. Could probably let brawl run until top 4 while the finals for melee where happening. Other than that apex ran fantastic. A HUGE improvement over 2012. Only real issue was some of the seeding for pools. Apparently you guys said that seeding was affected by apex points, but my friend had 1 point and still got a random seed. While other people who didn't deserve it got 4th seed. :urg:

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
Too many people to shoutout, but thanks to each and every one of you that made this possible whether you watched, entered, supported with equipment, sponsored, etc.

You keep these games alive.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
There is a mistake in pool 8, i had to play cave dweller not bluEG in losers, also i beat paju in losers semi's

Edit: does this mean i was put as the 4th seed when really i was the 3rd, and b/c of this i had to fight a 1 seed instead of a 2?

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Too many people to shoutout, but thanks to each and every one of you that made this possible whether you watched, entered, supported with equipment, sponsored, etc.

You keep these games alive.
You are welcome.

Thank
God
For
Me

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Top two would be too much, unless you have more pools.

Example: I had Sung and Hax in my pool. I beat Sung in winners lost to Hax in WF, and lost to Sung in LF. By this logic, I wouldn't have made bracket even though I placed 25th overall in the real bracket and beat the guy who got out second.

What slowed things down was the top 12 matches all being streamed. This was super hype, but also time consuming. Don't really have an answer for it.

This this this.

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
Yeroc, I go by Mizuki now. Can you edit your post to reflect that?

The less people remember me by the person I used to be, and the more people know me as the person I am now, the better.

Also holy crap, my pool was stacked.

ugh, people like me are forever cursed to never make bracket. =[

Top Bottom