• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Offical Pit Match Up Thread: Looking for Assistance!

Suyon

Smash Lord
I would really really appreciate it if we had a Olimar and Lucario matchup discussion. Since I'm having trouble with them <_<.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
^Olimar is best countered by lots and lots of camping because his grab is stupid. You can reflect his Pikmin with an AR and cancel out of hit before you hit the ground, usually... but this is best done only when he's far away. Whatever you do, don't get grabbed when you're at 0%, he will take you to 40% at least every time.

Suyon

Smash Lord
For counterpicking against ROB at Norfair. What is the advantagaes and disadvantages with Pit?
What should Pit do? When I fought a ROB i got i kept getting hit by Uairs and Utilt and Usmashes. Dunno why I get hit by the usmash so much though on that stage.

ohaiduhg

Smash Lord
I have done a number of matches with my cousin who mains Pit. I can throw in a good bit of information about the matchup from a ZSS main.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I have realized that we haven't discussed Jiggz at all before, or a few other lower tier characters. The next discussion will be between the following: Zelda, Jiggz, Link, or Falcon.

My choice is simply because many players should be familiar with higher tiers, and they may be confused or not know what to do when they actually see a low tier.
Vote between the 4 characters to discuss first, and at the beginning of tomorrow of my time (it's 1:12pm here), we can continue with the matchups again.

More to come too.
Thnx to R@vyn for giving me the matchup thread as well.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Not many ppl really do respond -_-
Well, i'll probably give the selected matchup in the noon to give ppl a bit more time to speak. We seriously have to continue on the matchups, and finish them at least. In fact, we may have to revise some matchups we did already as well since it's outdated, and we need to have the latest info, for even 1 rough tech by a char can make a difference, like Snake's Mortar slide thing or Bowser's grab release game.
We may even have to do more than 1 at a time if we're progressing at a slow rate. Right now, I'm considering Link due to the only vote we have atm (by Afropony).

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I thought lucario Owwnned Frigate Orpheon?
The nature of Lucario's recovery makes frigate a bad place for him. There are some ledges on the stage (probably the right side, where there's a moving platform, before the stage flips once) that cant be grabbed, causing Lucario to be more limited there.

Pokkit

Smash Cadet
I'll vote Zelda. It has been stated before that the optimal strategy for Shiek/Zelda players is to switch between them, not to use one or the other. Discussing Zelda at least takes care of half the Zelda/Shiek character. Also, I think Shiek might be a little more common than Link at tournaments, so getting Shiek's other half under wraps would be good.

HammerBro123

Smash Cadet
well yes if u let a really good dk get in control for even a sec u probably will be screwed cause of his power like if ur a kind of light character u will die at like 50 or 60

Cia

das kwl
Your avatar is amazing :)

And why?
Thanks =]. And Pit doesn't really have the range/ priority to beat the crap out of puff like most of her counters. (GaW, Snake, Olimar, MK) So without those Factors, Jpuff gets in relatively easily. From there, it's just like.. Bthrow > edgeguard forever. Oh, and Pit's arrow's get Nair'd through. So they don't help much. On Yoshi's Island, Pit has NO safe recovery from below the ledge due to the wall (Same on Pokemon Stadium)

I think the Match up is something like.. 60:40. The only thing pit has that hurt's puff is Bair, but that will only get him so far. his smash attacks don't really matter because Puff will usually be in the air.

Xzax - I'm not saying Puff's a better character than Pit. I definitely think She's his low tier kryptonite. Similar to Young Link vs Peach (Melee)

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Really? cause i have no problems against jiggly puff. Sure i have to be more defensive and actually resort to alot of shield grabbing. One of jiggly's killing move, roll out, is actually pretty useless against Pit. Cant really charge it close when u are on the ground or arrow to the face. And off stage the pit can be prepared and just jump around till u finish rolling around.

Unlike jiggly puff. Pit isnt restricted to aerials, and jiggly will always have to approach if the pit wants to make her. Arrows are alot harder to block then u seem to think. Sure an nair might block one. But u probably have atleast 2 coming at you before you can recover from ur first nair. Not to mention Pits Fsmash, dsmash and bair kill jiggly really early if it isnt overused.

But then again ive only fought a few good jiggly's that could actually combo into rest.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
The puff is definitely not a counter to Pit. Sure, she may be hard to hit and has ways to gimp Pit badly at times, but Pit should be able to have better priority if the Pit spaces F-airs.
Puffy's ground game is bad, even though the nature of her F-smash may make you get hit by it after you sidestep early, simply to say that sidestepping quickly can get u hit by the move.

As you know, the Puff is an aerial kind, with some lingering hit-boxes, like the N-air and F-air. Try to Shieldgrab whenever possible, or try to use SH Aerials, especially F-air and D-airs, or try to Usmash her when the time is appropriate in hopes of getting her in the air. If the puff is at a high enough, she may retreat off stage and try to use Rollout. Shoot arrows to stop her rollout. If you miss her, predict when she's going to come after you, then simply stay in the air til rollout is over. Don't Mirror Shield it either.

Most of the time, Angel Ring outprioritizes Rollout, I can't tell you the ratio of it.

My style when fightin her is using a lot of SH aerials, F-airs for spacing, as well as as a few D-airs. Puffs usually use F-airs, or just aerials in general. N-air don't work much since the Puff is light, small, and her F-air could out-prioritize it. Angel Ring can be bad too, against the F-air when it first comes out too.
I would think that Piviot grabs help out quite a bit in the matchup, especially if the Puff loves to SH his/her attacks mostly. It takes prediction and timing, but can be done.
I would focus on spacing and defending, mixing up SH aerials with arrows to keep em guessing.

Oh yea, if Puff tries to get back to the stage, you can avoid rollout, and if she uses Pound to approach, be cautious of its lingering hitbox, and capability of breaking shields quickly.
If you're offstage, try to move below the Puff and sneak in a U-air, in hopes of knocking her off stage. Her F-air is rough against our glide, so keep that in mind. As for our up-B, you might as well hope for the best, and hope you're not on Stages we can't go under, like YI, and Both Pokemon Stadiums.

According to the old matchup thing, Pit has the slight advantage over her at 55:45. It takes a bit of time to get used to the puff I guess.

Cia

das kwl
A good puff would NEVER roll out against pit. he'll just do that weirdo shield thing that sends her back.. lol. And you'd be surprised at how well Puff's priority stacks up against pit's. And smashes are never really an issue for puff because her whole game is about putting a hitbox over your head. This keeps her out of shield grab range and away from pit's 'dangerous' attacks.

I don't consider puff to be a pit 'counter.' (counter match ups are like when someone has like.. 70 or more in their corner) It's more like 60:40. Puff just has a noticeable advantage. And i think the match up is even on a few stages. like Battlefield and Smashville.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
Ike boards is currently revising the Pit matchup, all Pit players are invited to join us. But first, please refer to the main matchup thread for information on our procedures and informative threads over Ike. I'll compile some links to threads with important information over Pit there as well, if you wish to add threads you consider important for this matchup analysis, please post the links there.

Main matchup thread:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=238648

Pit matchup discussion thread:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=241820

If you see the Snake's board match up about Pit, it's 55:45 Snake's favor but you guys say it's Pit's favor but for me I think it's a tie or snake's slight advantage.
:confused:

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
LOL, yeah I dun think juggz is a counter to pit, i always felt it was about even, the better player would win this one. on paper a lot of thigns can beat pits arrows in priority but for some reason our spam game is amazing why? you'd figure all the opponent would do is spam A button and it'd be a dead lock becasue his jab would be nulling our arrows out. Sadly no, we AIM our arrows so that they miss your hit box.

Afropony

Smash Lord
Starter Stages:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi’s Island (Brawl)
Lylat Cruise

Counterpick Stages:
Pokemon Stadium (Melee)
Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege
Battleship Halberd
Frigate Orpheon
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar
Jungle Japes

Out of these stages can someone order these stages from best to worst please, put them in two sections with "starter stages" and "counterpick stages"

I have a national tournament in a few eeks and these are the stages that are being used so I wanna get used to them and hear why people might think a stage is really good or bad for Pit.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
It varies with the matchups. FD, BF, and SV is good for Pit since he has the option to glide under stage. YI is Pit's worse neutral, with them shy guys and Pit being limited on recovery.

Coffee™

I need it....
Starter Stages:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi’s Island (Brawl)
Lylat Cruise

Counterpick Stages:
Pokemon Stadium (Melee)
Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege
Battleship Halberd
Frigate Orpheon
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar
Jungle Japes

Out of these stages can someone order these stages from best to worst please, put them in two sections with "starter stages" and "counterpick stages"

I have a national tournament in a few eeks and these are the stages that are being used so I wanna get used to them and hear why people might think a stage is really good or bad for Pit.

In order from best to worst.

Starter

Final Destination
Lylat
Battlefield
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

Counterpick
Jungle Japes / Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Castle Siege
Pokemon Stadium

Suyon

Smash Lord
I'm a bit surprised about Japes and Brinstar. Would you care to explain why it's good for Pit?
Also what would be a better choice to ban when a Falco C/Ps. His playground Japes or FD?
I'm pretty lazy to go back and read old post but if I have to then i guess i will.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Pit is bad on Brinstar, especially against a Lucas, with his lack of projectile mobility, and his great recovery really having no meaning since everyone can recover, and does only decent at japes, depending on the matchup.
Japes is sort of complicated, expect that he could try continuously shoot arrows at someone in the water to try to keep them from recovering and end up getting swept away and dying. Plenty of spiking chars should be avoided here.
As far as that falco... I'd get rid of japes. Never trust his Side-B Spike to possible Klap Trap... NEVER!

Afropony

Smash Lord
Japes is good for Pit because he can stand on the left platform spamming arrows and attacking when they are forced to approach. Although it may be more difficult when you play a falco but I wouldn't ban it. IMO it's a good CP against Snake especially because Snake's usually just ban RC.

Coffee™

I need it....
Pit is bad on Brinstar, especially against a Lucas, with his lack of projectile mobility, and his great recovery really having no meaning since everyone can recover, and does only decent at japes, depending on the matchup.
Japes is sort of complicated, expect that he could try continuously shoot arrows at someone in the water to try to keep them from recovering and end up getting swept away and dying. Plenty of spiking chars should be avoided here.
As far as that falco... I'd get rid of japes. Never trust his Side-B Spike to possible Klap Trap... NEVER!
Brinstar is one of Pit's best CP stages, obviously not against every character but against alot of them. Pit on Japes is also stupid. It's like a free win vs almost any character. As for Falco I'd rather ban FD. Pit handles Falco on Japes just fine.

Coffee™

I need it....
Pit wins vs Marth on Brinstar and vs DK it's like neutral. ZSS and Snake are a problem there though.

Top Bottom