• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Offical Pit Match Up Thread: Looking for Assistance!

MrEh

Smash Hero
I actually don't see the Marth matchup as anything more or less then 40-60 really.

Seems fine to me. lol

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Pit generally has more problems against smaller targets. It's harder for him to hit smaller targets with arrows, and they can easily avoid Pit's little F-throw chain, even though Pit now has his 0-30% mini-combo, aka, F-throw to Stutterstep Fsmash, which even works on Metaknight.

S.D

Smash Master
Speaking of small characters that are **** off hard to hit can we discuss PT?

I don't know what to do against Squirtle, and to a lesser extent Charizard.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I dont know much, but based on my experience, the little turtle seems to be mostly an aerial type, so maybe some U-airs can smack him away, idk... PT just isnt a common target for me, but I do agree on Squirtle being completely annoying.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
I agree. The marth summary is very seriously flawed. Something should be said about his ability to dolphin slash you out of absolutely everything-- jabs, fsmash, uair, nair, AR, even fair and bair if he times it well enough. Combined with his ability to reach you if you try firing arrows from above the ledge, it completely shuts down Pit's edge game and that alone makes Marth fairly strong Pit counter if you ask me. Without his edgegame, Pit can't spam arrows against a decent player. Decent players know how to powershield and advance... at that point he can dancing blade you out of any attack you might use to react to his advance.

The idea of pit's "wall of pain" gimping Marth off the stage is also really silly. Marth's aerials beat Pit's very badly. The only way you're going to hit him while he's recovering is if you use arrows (which can be very deadly, as described), or if he's an idjit and throws random attacks or airdodges instead of reacting to you.

Marth's biggest problem is getting back up onto the stage from the edge. No matter what it leaves him comparatively vulnerable. As long as you don't use a multi-hit move-- like fsmash-- he won't be able to dolphin slash you to save himself. Therefore, I think, Ftilt is Pit's best move against Marth. Placing it properly near the edge can really mess with that guy.

Sniper X

Smash Cadet
squirtle is one of the most annoying people to play against simple because his attacks often clank everything pit can throw at him. His shell can absorb all sorts of hits when he is rolling around, his aerials are rather powerful, and he has impressive control over his movements both on the ground and in the air. He can edge guard rather well and if u try to hit him with an arrow he has enough speed to get out of the way quite often.

My advice against him is to be rather aggressive. You can't dodge him forever due to his speed and if you don't fight back you won't stand a chance. By taking him out you'll force PT to rotate in one of his other pokemon, both of which are easier to handle then squirtle if you ask me. And if he tries to switch back to squirtle you can punish the crap out of him.

Afropony

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=233808
This thread, "Revising "Counterpicking made easy"
is pretty much a thread for people to say what there best and worst 3 stages are for counterpicking.

I thought we could discuss what our best and worst 3 are so I can get back to them.
ATM I'm pretty certain about Norfair and Lylat cruise being his 2 best and Yoshi's island brawl being one of his worst.

Coffee™

I need it....
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=233808
This thread, "Revising "Counterpicking made easy"
is pretty much a thread for people to say what there best and worst 3 stages are for counterpicking.

I thought we could discuss what our best and worst 3 are so I can get back to them.
ATM I'm pretty certain about Norfair and Lylat cruise being his 2 best and Yoshi's island brawl being one of his worst.
Brinstar and Delfino are better than Lylat and imo Battlefield is better than FD.

Afropony

Smash Lord
Brinstar and Delfino are better than Lylat and imo Battlefield is better than FD.
Are you serious.
I have never lost a match on Lylat Cruise during a tournament,EVER!

I can understand why you think that Delfine is good for Pit because you can just camp from under the stage and hit them with Uairs. But it also has a low ceiling which doesn't help Pit because most of the time Pit is going to be killing them horizontally.
Why do you think Brinstar is a good stage for Pit?
I don't know to much about this stage, is it because you can do the UAir throuh the stage thing again?
I agree with you on Battlefield being better then FD though, I think they just put it there because they think we only have to fire arrows to win a match.

Cha0tic NiGhTmArE

Smash Journeyman
Lakeway(at least 30 minuites from anywhere), TX
Are you serious.
I have never lost a match on Lylat Cruise during a tournament,EVER!

I can understand why you think that Delfine is good for Pit because you can just camp from under the stage and hit them with Uairs. But it also has a low ceiling which doesn't help Pit because most of the time Pit is going to be killing them horizontally.
Why do you think Brinstar is a good stage for Pit?
I don't know to much about this stage, is it because you can do the UAir throuh the stage thing again?
I agree with you on Battlefield being better then FD though, I think they just put it there because they think we only have to fire arrows to win a match.
level depends entirely on the char your playing..DUHHHHH XD

Cha0tic NiGhTmArE

Smash Journeyman
Lakeway(at least 30 minuites from anywhere), TX
I agree. The marth summary is very seriously flawed. Something should be said about his ability to dolphin slash you out of absolutely everything-- jabs, fsmash, uair, nair, AR, even fair and bair if he times it well enough. Combined with his ability to reach you if you try firing arrows from above the ledge, it completely shuts down Pit's edge game and that alone makes Marth fairly strong Pit counter if you ask me. Without his edgegame, Pit can't spam arrows against a decent player. Decent players know how to powershield and advance... at that point he can dancing blade you out of any attack you might use to react to his advance.

The idea of pit's "wall of pain" gimping Marth off the stage is also really silly. Marth's aerials beat Pit's very badly. The only way you're going to hit him while he's recovering is if you use arrows (which can be very deadly, as described), or if he's an idjit and throws random attacks or airdodges instead of reacting to you.

Marth's biggest problem is getting back up onto the stage from the edge. No matter what it leaves him comparatively vulnerable. As long as you don't use a multi-hit move-- like fsmash-- he won't be able to dolphin slash you to save himself. Therefore, I think, Ftilt is Pit's best move against Marth. Placing it properly near the edge can really mess with that guy.
this is my Matchup... bait the Dophin as much as possible..Marth is a character you can't jab cancel meaning you can't jab in to grab or smash etc.. so Jab to shield and if he takes the bait bair em out of the the cool down of the dolphin..he can also dophin out of the 0-30 combo made by KY but not all marths no that so try it and if he does dolphin out of it the just the next time you get a grab that early in the stock then fthrow and wait for him to react cause even if you don't follow up the the fsmash your not getting punished..other then that you have to PS the fair into dtilts.most good marths won't do the down version of the dancing blades for the simple fact you can DI so be alert for the the side B tricks, and if you end up shielding all of the side B don't try to run at em cause he'll just dolphin before you get to em so run up to em and shield then punish with a bair if he take the bait and dolphins. keep Marth above you as much as possible..and edge guard with arrows real good XD

KY_Des

Smash Ace
he can also dophin out of the 0-30 combo made by KY
The combo works on Marth. The timing is just alot more strict. Because of that, the fsmash doesn't hit as deep and it's easier to DI out of. The combo works on GnW too but if he jus holds back, he pops out of the fsmash. It's not really worth trying for against these 2 characters.

Also, Squirtles really not that bad. He's the hardest out of the 3, but he's still not too hard. Just get under him. Squirtle cant do anything to people below him. Plus you can kill him fairly easily bc of his weight. You outrange him too.

All Squirtle has on Pit is speed. Space, and zone him to the air. Then smash him. If he doesn't die, edgeguard him. Its a pretty simple matchup.

EDIT
**** Lylat. And **** Delfino against MK. **** Norfair too. That stage requires you to play too gay for me. YI really isn't all that bad unless you're playin against Marth or MK.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Hmn, just a nitpick, but why is Rainbow Cruise a Ban vs Yoshi?

When I last played a decent Pit there it seemed even based on the stage, with an advantage to him in some places where he could glide under...

(then again I might just be "meh" on teh stage >.>)

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
hey, this is probably well known already but just in case

did you guys know if you are gliding over MK and he shuttle loops, your glide attack will beat his shuttle loop, kinda nifty

Coffee™

I need it....
It'd be better if instead of just saying that this matchup chart is so wrong you say what matchups you believe are so wrong.

besides that, does anyone else apart from me think that the Pit Fox matchup should be in Pits favour?
Why do you think so? I've never seen anything that would justify Pit having a straight up advantage.

hey, this is probably well known already but just in case

did you guys know if you are gliding over MK and he shuttle loops, your glide attack will beat his shuttle loop, kinda nifty
Thats only if MK simply doesn't hit Pit's hurtbox, otherwise they will trade hits. Dair is the same as well.

Afropony

Smash Lord

• We can chaingrab them to 40%
    fairly easy to gimp because his upB takes so long to startup and can be reflected if you want.
    his main approach is to Dair us, I find it easy to powershield after that i could Utilt or grab.
    I find that using the jab infinite on him is really good and you can usually use a Dtilt after it.
    I'm fairly sure we have better range on most of our moves.
    Our recovery is so much better then Fox's.

The only thing that I find annoying is that they can kill us early with Usmash. Although they're fairly light.

Coffee™

I need it....
Fox has a multitude of ways to recover though. He's easy enough to gimp if he's forced to use Up B but that doesn't happen that often against good Foxes. I'd actually say his recovery is pretty good when you look at all the options he generally has. Also even though Pit can cg him to 40% a Dair to Utilt combo from 0% can probably put Pit around 40% as well. He also limits Pit's Arrows somewhat with his reflector and dying at like 90% is not fun.

kown

Smash Lord
so a years gone by and were still not done with this chart...honestly.... pit boards are so **** behind...we need to fix this.

Coffee™

I need it....
so a years gone by and were still not done with this chart...honestly.... pit boards are so **** behind...we need to fix this.
Noone posts in matchup threads so thats why **** doesn't get done. It's also why I have very little initiative to start new ones. However, if you or anyone else that feels they want and/or can manage the matchup thread feel free to let me know.

kown

Smash Lord
your a mod for a reason!...dont give me that ****ty attitude...keep trying....you prolly have the most influence in this thread...so get to it!

Ayoub

Smash Ace
Why don't we have a thread like all the other characters.

(Picture of the head from a char) - 40-60.

And then with all the chars, it's a lot easier. =P

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
LOL you guys aren't behind.
Samus boards have been trying to get a match-up guide up for a while now. we are on our third one, with 5 guys who actually post in that board. This is the porblem we can't agree on anything and xyro flames everyone who has a diff opinion lol. He's made people quit doing the thread, he's even made people leave samus lol

Ravyn if you could why not change the title to current character?
it'd be easier for people to help this thread out, just my 2 cents

VietGeek

Smash Hero
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=190543

^

Hello Pit mains. I hail from another land similar to yours; a land where we camp and cook smores by the fire, a land where young little boys enjoy the wilderness and its breathtaking beauty.

Err...yeah.

So Toon Link boards are discussing the Pit match-up. It seems the last discussion, roughly done over a millennium ago, is severely lacking in the Pit main output.

So if you could take the time to discuss the match-up, that would be splendid?

Thankies in advance.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Snakes in general: ban Norfair.
where pit does good against snakes would be... on a friggen Plane!
just kidding :) I prefer Final D as the nuetral and Pokemon stadium 1 as my CP.

I just enjoy Pokemon stadium 1 lol it's not really good for pit but it doesn't hurt him much either

Suyon

Smash Lord
I think we need to start with a Lucairo matchup since I 'm having trouble with one at my local tournaments. I'm 0-2 in our rival thing from AiB <.< I can't let him keep beating me.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
LOL you guys aren't behind.
Samus boards have been trying to get a match-up guide up for a while now. we are on our third one, with 5 guys who actually post in that board. This is the porblem we can't agree on anything and xyro flames everyone who has a diff opinion lol. He's made people quit doing the thread, he's even made people leave samus lol

Ravyn if you could why not change the title to current character?
it'd be easier for people to help this thread out, just my 2 cents
Cherry, people have quit because they are wimps. If they cant handle what i dish out, then they need to man up.

Top Bottom