• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NSW] Western Sydney Dramacraft: The home of drama!

Zxv

Smash Lord
Oh **** Cal that sounds cool. I might be able to house you. Have you been to my house before? It'd be a lot easier to coax my dad if you've been here before. And roughly how long would you need to stay?

Right now I'm in Perth still, I get back on Tuesday 28th. I'll run it by my parents and get back to you later this week.

Ah, and I feel obligated to add: my Internet is omnitrash. You WILL have high latency if you try to play Dota or stuff like that at peak hours (7pm-11pm). It fluctuates a considerable amount during the course of the day, too. You have been warned.
:phone:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
who are you?
Ryukario, to answer that. Why does everyone call him bacon?? :confused:

Anyway, if you were trolling, I apologize... I can never really tell the difference here...

Also, I'd consider coming to the tournament but if only a couple people are going then there wouldn't be much incentive. :/ Waiting for the next tourny at the bowling alley or maybe wollongong... dunno at this stage.

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Its because hes username used to be like BC or something. Cant remember it exactly, but toki started calling him Bacon creator and since then, everyone calls him bacon now lawl.

BC are his initials

CaLibUr_1337

Smash Lord
Oh **** Cal that sounds cool. I might be able to house you. Have you been to my house before? It'd be a lot easier to coax my dad if you've been here before. And roughly how long would you need to stay?

Right now I'm in Perth still, I get back on Tuesday 28th. I'll run it by my parents and get back to you later this week.

Ah, and I feel obligated to add: my Internet is omnitrash. You WILL have high latency if you try to play Dota or stuff like that at peak hours (7pm-11pm). It fluctuates a considerable amount during the course of the day, too. You have been warned.
At this stage I'm not really sure but I imagine it would be around 2 weeks at the most. I've been to your place once for Leisha's birthday last year.. I'm pretty sure I was a good guest from memory xD

I can put up with terrible internet if it means a roof over my head haha. You can teach me melee during the downtime periods hehe. Jokes aside I appreciate the offer dude :) I'll be keeping in touch with Ted and Luke regularly for the next few weeks so I should have more info in regards to acquiring a place during the next week or two.

Its because hes username used to be like BC or something. Cant remember it exactly, but toki started calling him Bacon creator and since then, everyone calls him bacon now lawl.

BC are his initials
I remember his very first username was BC25. Maybe the 25 meant the number of bacon strips :p

Gords

Smash Champion
Also, I'd consider coming to the tournament but if only a couple people are going then there wouldn't be much incentive. :/ Waiting for the next tourny at the bowling alley or maybe wollongong... dunno at this stage.
well you may be waiting a while then, it doesnt look like there will be a bowling alley tourney in a while.

depending on how i feel after this weekend, i might make semi-regular tourneys at my place. whenever i get weekends off that is. which should be May/June/july-ish

Remastered

Smash Lord
Your post assumes Scoot can actually get a woman Ted.

They probably earn more in a year wearing a beard, than most of you neck-beard sporting gentlemen will earn in a lifetime. Sad truth.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
well you may be waiting a while then, it doesnt look like there will be a bowling alley tourney in a while.

depending on how i feel after this weekend, i might make semi-regular tourneys at my place. whenever i get weekends off that is. which should be May/June/july-ish
Aiight, i'll try to come to one of those ones then I suppose. How many were in attendance at the one just held? Anywhere near the usual and i'll be stoked to turn up. I can take less but I'd just prefer the more people.

Anyway, that's just me. :)

Gords

Smash Champion
Saying things like that spreads, in other words if one person says that they probably wont come or will come if only... then another does and then you have a low turnout. On the other hand people making the effort to come and saying they will creates hipe and then you get more people coming.

My next event (meet/tourney/whateves) won't be for a couple of months at least

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
As I said, i'll probably still come, i'd just prefer if there were more people. I understand what you were saying, just that i'm not saying I won't come, just that it'd be awesome if more people said they'd like to come.

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
I've been thinking for a little while about starting a stream. Fortunately, as my summer internship comes to an end, I will be able to afford to replace my current computer and internet setup. However, I'm not exactly sure what kind of setup I'd need to be able to run a reasonable stream.

I figured here was a good place to ask since I know at least two people run their own streams on a semi-regular basis. What options for quality are there, and what do you recommend? What kind of specs would I need, both for a PC, and for upload speed? How much would you expect all this to cost?

Any other general advice would also be helpful. Thanks in advance =)

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
good specs/internet are not so vital (there is an extremely low bare minimum though). it's possible to have a decent-looking stream with crappy hardware and crappy upspeed, but the crappier your conditions the more effort/creativity you need to configure everything just right. anyway, basically every capture device will encode the video itself before your pc will ever see it, so your pc doesn't really need to do a lot of work; it just needs to be able to run the streaming software and handle encoding the final video that everyone else sees. use: xsplit (easier to use), obs (more resource-efficient).

for reference my upspeed is 0.6 mb/s (extremely bad) but I make up for it with an i7. other aspects of hardware are not nearly as important as the processor, although i'm guessing simply having a graphics card at all will broaden your options quite a bit. obviously the greater your upload speed the less efficiently your pc will need to encode to get it to look nice. it's fairly common for most to stream somewhere between 1-2 mb/s (their actual upspeeds are usually in the 3-5 mb/s range; it helps stability to stream significantly under your max). I personally stream at 450 kb/s, still very nice-looking considering.

I'm guessing you want to stream skyward sword-related stuff? keep in mind that even via component the wii will only output at max 720x480 video, so there's no need to buy anything fancy in the way of capture devices, anything made for standard def will do. buy: ezcap (cheap/great value), dazzle (slightly better quality), also anything in kmart/bigw/whatev labeled as a dvd maker or vhs digitizer or similar are basically just capture devices bundled with (usually ****ty) dvd authoring programs.

cost-wise? anywhere from $5-$50 for the capture device. you almost definitely do not need to upgrade your pc/internet but if you choose to do so then you will need to do your own research.

i think that covers the basics. i can help later with setting everything up once you get it all going if you have questions about programs/codecs/drivers and whatnot.

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
Hm, that's quite helpful. I'll look at getting a capture device and seeing what I can do with what I've got.

However, I was thinking of streaming LoL (don't judge me...) as well as Skyward Sword, so I'd imagine that would require a bit more grunt - as you mentioned the capture card does a lot of processing that would have to be done by the PC if you're streaming a PC game. Also, the few times I've uploaded to youtube about a year back caused my ping to spike to 1.5k, which would be less than ideal when trying to stream an online game.

If you have any additional advice for streaming PC games that would be useful, and thanks again for the help.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
I'm not too familiar with streaming PC but in my very limited experience I would say you probably don't need as much grunt as you'd think, but it also probably depends a lot on the game. Chances are the game will mostly compute via graphics card, in which case it probably won't compete too much with streaming software (encoding is done via cpu), but if it becomes a problem you can always set the cpu core affinity of the game/stream so that they're not clashing.

streaming is nothing like uploading to youtube in terms of effect on bandwidth; streaming is done at a set data rate, youtube tries to use up as much as possible to get the upload done asap. obviously your latency will take a toll either way though.

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
Alright, that's really helpful. I'll definitely see what I can do with what I've got. I'm kind of expecting to need to upgrade, but it's definitely worth trying beforehand, and from what you're saying there's a decent chance it could work, so here's hoping =)

PaulieProcket

Smash Cadet
Well just thought I should at least introduce myself, yes I'm the newbie -__- hahaha not much experience with melee, though I can play Brawl ok and I love Project M :) (also smash64 is just sick as in awesome) so yeah just thought I should say hi and would love to get together and play or something sometime

RJ<3

Smash Journeyman
NNID
peachyandfabrj
3DS FC
4554-1137-4668
hahaha thanks guys! Im really looking forward to my first meet up or anything, never played anyone outside my brother before so it'll be really fun! :)
Hope to see you at a tournament. I'd be happy to play some games with you.

tedeth

Smash Master
Ohhhhh Foxy's "busy" on Valentine's day.

Something you want to tell us champ? ;)

EDIT: Also me and Jake may be going climbing tomorrow arvo. Give me a call if you're interested.

escro

Smash Ace
heya i should be free next thursday and or friday so if you set the meet on either of those days i'll try to set it aside and not make any plans then
=)

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Do you mean like this arvo? Yeah I just went for a run so I'm done anyway. Doesn't matter. Have fun.

EA!!! Come to this meet thing! I need you to hack my wii. It'll be fun. Like old times.

tedeth

Smash Master
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH IT'S ALL DIFFERENT!!!

My entire world view is shattered...

Meet on Wednesday? If not, rock climbing YEEEAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

...... who am I kidding nobody ever goes climbing...

EDIT: WTF YOU CAN LIKE AND REPLY TO POSTS!?!?!?!?

Also this editor is ****ed nice website assholes.

Also meet AND rock climbing YEAAAAHHHHHH!!!!

Top Bottom