• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NSW] Western Sydney Dramacraft: The home of drama!

Gords

Smash Champion
I. Will probs come Wednesday Ted.

I don't really like the new smashboards, I can't find the settings to give me more posts per page, and worst cant find anywhere to reverse the order the posts are displayed :(

PaulieProcket

Smash Cadet
yeah come on wednesday guys! It'll be good fun, i really want to meet 'the cast' lol
hmm i need a dp, this question mark is too suspicious, and makes me look extra nooby lol

escro

Smash Ace
yeah don't worry about it. as soon as uni starts again chances are i'll be able to come every week like i used to so theres plenty of opportunity to have meets

tedeth

Smash Master
I'm kind of looking forward to getting a schedule going again if we can. If I can get escro/Foxy/Paul coming reasonably regularly it would be fantastic.

WTF happened to Wvz? I miss him... :(

PaulieProcket

Smash Cadet
Heck yeah get like a meet each fortnight/week would be amazing, it would attract more people to the scene to knowing that people actually play regularly haha awesome its kicking back off!

escro

Smash Ace
well regardless of what happens to the scene as a whole it's still good to see new people
i would recommend that you don't get too optimistic though, Paulie.

Gords

Smash Champion
dont lie to us now shaya,

also ted i assume time to get to your place tomoz is usual time of about 12-1pm. this right?

Wvz

Smash Cadet
D: i can always manage to come here to see that a meet just went past
i have work 9-5 monday to friday. So finding time during the week is a bit awkward, fridays i can't make it out. so if next wednesday the meet goes till like 8 or something like that i will try to get there =D
also if anyone could give me a text that a meet or something is happening they would be one step closer to making me love them =D =D =D

ps: i miss you too ted, as well as everyone else <3

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
i would recommend that you don't get too optimistic though, Paulie.
Shh, he'll learn it in time! :l

But hey there paulie! Nice to have new members on board and i'd totally love to meet you. I can only really come to tournaments though so if you like the meets, come to the tourneys, that way i can... well, yeah... meet you! :p

So guys, it looks like I may be hosting a smash tournament at school (with my friend). I've got most (not the really technical ones, obviously) rules there with a description on some of the harder ones, i've got precautions to keep the equipment safe, etc etc. But in terms of actually running the tournament, any tips? Be friendly but assertive or something? I wanna make this run smoothly, I think i've got it sorted out but if there's something you think would be helpful i'm all ears. =)

swordsaint

Smash Master
Everybody kill themselves, there is a trophy named after Mic_128.

1. 150
    Mic_128 is proud of you!

You have accumulated 25000 posts. You might catch up to Mic one day...

cheese619

Smash Ace
I CAN'T FIND MY CYANIDE CAPSULES SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE! I DON'T WANT TO LIVE ANYMORE, I'M SICK OF TOM'S BOOK AND I'M SICK OF NOT BEING SERIOUS AND THIS MIC TROPHY HAS PUSHED ME OVER THE EDGE! ;_____;

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
@Luco.

You don't need to run the tournament / have rules like we do. I don't/the ruleset we use doesn't necessarily cover your target audience for an in-school tournament. You may find a lot more success in running free for alls with items in a tournament sense rather than forcing people into a tricky/convoluted rule system that smash has created for itself over its lifetime. If everyone you know who'll show up is already in the "No items, fox only, final destination" death-hole than it's fine, sure.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
That's why i'm not using the more complicated ones. But that's good advice: If there's an issue with any of those rules, I can probably just take it out.

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
So, after half a day of research, I found out how **** Australian internet actually is. So much for the hope of streaming...

Gords

Smash Champion
@ luco
why dont you post your ruleset here (try to have it in a spoiler tag) that way the TOs can have a browse.
also what is your target audience, as in do they regularly play and if so how do they play?
what is your time frame and how many entrants and setups do you have/expect?
these are the kinda things you should be asking yourself before you think about the format of your tourney and then the ruleset.

@invisi
what did you find out?
there are a few people in sydney that stream on a regular basis without much problem (werster is huge in twitch and lives in sydney).
I dont think internet is what is going to stop you.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
@ luco
why dont you post your ruleset here (try to have it in a spoiler tag) that way the TOs can have a browse.
also what is your target audience, as in do they regularly play and if so how do they play?
what is your time frame and how many entrants and setups do you have/expect?
these are the kinda things you should be asking yourself before you think about the format of your tourney and then the ruleset
Yeah, i've had a think about those: The target audience is the kids of my school; so anywhere between 12 to 18 or so. It's an expression of interest thing, so I don't actually know who will be playing yet but I assume it will be people who are interested. I was originally scared it would lead to some kid coming in and breaking it for the fun of it but my friend said he had two wiis and would just bring in one of his; we also have rules designed to deter those that want to do that.

There will only be one setup, thus we'll be spanning the tournament over a period of weeks, having them on Friday lunchtimes and announcing the matches to be played (also e-mailing them and having a tournament bracket-image kind-of-thing that says who plays who when). If each set goes for an average of 15 (which it probably won't but who knows?) min, then I can probably have about 3 games per lunch-time.

I'm still unsure of whether to make it double elimination or just single, that would be dependent on the number of entrants, however since I expect to get a decent number i'm leaning towards single elimination, especially since entry to the tournament is free anyways.

The winner gets blues points (a reward system in our school), recognition as one of the best 'smashers' (we're thinking of making a little certificate for that :p) and both the winner and the runner up get to play me in a match where i'll be giving tips on how to get better, either generally or if i know the character well, then also tips and techniques on the character. I'm not entering in the tournament myself.

As for the rules, i'll be happy to post them a little later. =)

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
I was testing out streaming yesterday, and the best middle ground I could find was at about 360 Kb/s, where the quality was barely watchable, and I still had double my usual ping. Obviously ping isn't really an issue when streaming console, but I was trying to stream while playing online, and that just wasn't going to work.

I was researching options for increasing upload speed, and it basically came down to either installing cable at our place (which I'm not sure we're prepared to do), or waiting for the NBN to come to our suburb. I always knew it was going to be essential infrastructure, but I never knew how essential until yesterday when I finally realised how bad we have it at the moment.

Gords

Smash Champion
luco, it sounds like you completely missed the point of what i ment by your target audience.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Basically Luco, most people playing smash aren't playing it "competitively". Sure they like the idea of versing like minded players in a multiplayer game they play, but guess how a majority would likely play?

Some amalgamation of all items on high, all stages or FD only *shudder*, free for alls on TIMER, etc etc...

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Basically Luco, most people playing smash aren't playing it "competitively". Sure they like the idea of versing like minded players in a multiplayer game they play, but guess how a majority would likely play?

Some amalgamation of all items on high, all stages or FD only *shudder*, free for alls on TIMER, etc etc...
Yah I know... I just wanted to try seeing whether they'd enjoy it, a little more how we play it.

As I said, I plan on talking to them on the first day about this, so with any luck we can nut that out yes?

escro

Smash Ace
you can either talk to them on the first day and see how that goes, or you can just lay down a set of rules that you expect them to follow, depending on how strict you want to make this "tourney" of yours.
the more lax and such you are with the rules, the harder it will be to create order and achieve that kind of ranking system that you seem to want.
a piece of advice though- it's going to be pretty hard and probably not worth the effort to organise a "tourney" over the period of several weeks where you get 3 games in a week. if it were me i would just make it a more fun and enjoyable lunchtime weekly smash game play thing where people just come and play free for alls with items and stuff like that
yeah it wont be any bit competitive like the tourneys we have, but you cant expect much from the time and space you've been given.

Top Bottom