• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official NSW - Next Event: use discord or facebook i'm lazy

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I prefer inhumane fun. :grin:
That's the plan; have fun and aim for the wooden spoon, that way if I beat anyone I'll be staggered.
I didn't even really set aims for my first tournament; or if I did they were quickly drowned out by the fun of it. I hear when you get older it gets quite tiring, but I haven't stopped loving it so far. Not that I'm particularly old for the average smasher or anything. :p

Gords

Smash Champion
Smash City Easter events and schedule are up
https://www.facebook.com/events/1413346468978461/
EVENTS:
Project M Doubles
Project M singles
Melee Singles
Smash 4 WiiU Singles
Smash 4 WiiU Doubles (will only happen if we get 8 or more WiiU setups, otherwise we will not have enough time to run everything)

NOTE: Players will be allowed to enter into ONLY 1 Doubles event

Schedule:
10:00 - 10:40 Registration and Set up
10:40 - 1:30 Project M Doubles
11:00 - 2:00 Smash 4 Doubles (requires 8 WiiU setups, otherwise Smash 4 Wave 1 pools will start here)
12:00 - 2:30# PM Pools
12:30 - 2:30* Melee Pool sets (selected from melee only players to play on melee only TVs)
1:00 - 2:30 Smash 4 Pools Wave 1 (3 pools)
2:30 - 3:30 LUNCH
3:00 - 5:30 Melee Pools
3:00 - 5:00 Smash 4 Pools Wave 2 (5 pools)
3:00 - 7:00** Project M Pro Bracket
5:00 - 8:30 Smash 4 Pro Bracket
5:30 - 8:30 Melee Pro Bracket
7:00 - 9:00 Pack up and Watch Finals

Some Notes about the Schedule
  • # PM pools start after WF/LQ of the doubles Bracket (12pm is an estimated time). Those 6 players left in PM doubles will continue to play doubles to completion and meet up with their pool after wards.
  • * Melee Pools will be played out from 3-5:30pm. However during PM pools I will be using spare Melee TVs to assign Melee only players who are paired up in pools to play their set.
  • ** PM Pro Bracket will be played out during Melee Pools using only 4TVs. PM Pro Bracket Players should stay with their Melee pool until I come and get you for your PM Pro Bracket Match
  • - all pools will be a best of 3 Round Robin
  • - Schedule assumes a minimum of 12 CRT TVs, 9 of which can be switched to PM
  • - Schedule assumes a minimun of 8 Smash WiiU setups
  • - In the event that we get less than 8 WiiU setups Smash 4 doubles will NOT happen and we will start Smash 4 Pools at 11am. There will be 3 waves of Smash 4 pools if this is the case
If you are able to bring any monitors, CRT TVs, WiiU consoles, GC adapters, Wii that can Play PM and/or gamecubes with Melee please do.
Venue Fee Discount - Bring a WiiU and a Monitor/HDTV (with game mode) to play it on and get your $10 venue fee refunded to you.

Last edited:

Chris Sifniotis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
chrissifniotis
I didn't even really set aims for my first tournament; or if I did they were quickly drowned out by the fun of it. I hear when you get older it gets quite tiring, but I haven't stopped loving it so far. Not that I'm particularly old for the average smasher or anything. :p
I wouldn't call aiming for the very bottom a genuine aim, it'll simply help me appreciate every win I ever manage. Personally I'm going to have a look at and get a feel for competitive play and whether or not I can do well as a fighter. Of all the PC and console games I play Smash 3DS/Wii U is what I play the most right now and I notice that I'm getting better in general fighting, but until I get the chance to actually play with a proper competitor and not just the computer or my family I'll never truly know if I'm any good.

But to assume that I'll be any good now, entering my first tournament, is entirely unreasonable; I'm sure I'll enjoy myself on Saturday and maybe even expand my circle of friends a bit, but I do want to see how I'll go in actual competitive play. Depending on how well I do and if I feel I can do better I'll consider getting some online tuition on the boards.

In any event I'll have fun, and that's all that really matters here. :) Just a brief question while I'm here; I'll be bringing my Wiimotes, rechargeable batteries and possibly Wii U Pro Controllers - they have an annoying problem and I'm determining if it affects gameplay at all, but are the 3DS consoles acceptable controllers as well? If not it doesn't matter so much, I'll bring it anyway. :p

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I wouldn't call aiming for the very bottom a genuine aim, it'll simply help me appreciate every win I ever manage. Personally I'm going to have a look at and get a feel for competitive play and whether or not I can do well as a fighter. Of all the PC and console games I play Smash 3DS/Wii U is what I play the most right now and I notice that I'm getting better in general fighting, but until I get the chance to actually play with a proper competitor and not just the computer or my family I'll never truly know if I'm any good.

But to assume that I'll be any good now, entering my first tournament, is entirely unreasonable; I'm sure I'll enjoy myself on Saturday and maybe even expand my circle of friends a bit, but I do want to see how I'll go in actual competitive play. Depending on how well I do and if I feel I can do better I'll consider getting some online tuition on the boards.

In any event I'll have fun, and that's all that really matters here. :) Just a brief question while I'm here; I'll be bringing my Wiimotes, rechargeable batteries and possibly Wii U Pro Controllers - they have an annoying problem and I'm determining if it affects gameplay at all, but are the 3DS consoles acceptable controllers as well? If not it doesn't matter so much, I'll bring it anyway. :p
You can use any controller you want! You'll find that 90% of competitive smashers use the GC controller, but I've heard some good things about the 3DS controller actually, and Wii U pro controller is meant to be fine as well. I'd suggest if you take wii-motes, also to use the nunchuk as well, as without it you can find performing certain ATs difficult, but at this point in time it's just good to become comfortable with whatever you're using aside from that.

As for performance, I got quite a bit better than last at my first tournament. I wasn't particularly good, but I surprised a lot of people (although I heard more recently that some people just didn't really focus on their gameplay. I was 14 at that point after all!) - wild cards are SUCH a thing - and felt it was good enough to keep coming back. I really hope you enjoy whatever surprises you and whatever you can learn, and with any luck you'll discover an aptitude for what you're doing. Most of all though, take plenty of time out to, say, play friendlies with people, those around your skill level, others higher. It's often crazy fun, and you end up learning a lot.

So yeah, good luck and I hope you come back ready to improve from whatever you get the time after. :)

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
Coming to tourneys is about more than just winning or losing, its a chance to meet and hang around with people who share the same interests as you, people who love the same game as you. Some of my closest friends were met through smash, and if you stick around long enough you might just find yourself a new family or sorts.

As for the competitive side of it, winning is great and losing is not so great, we all know that, but I often see people hesitant to come to a tourney because they think they'll get bodied, and maybe they will, but you have to start somewhere. In general there is a (mostly) irrational fear of failure in this country (not just for smash, but for everything)
Losing is not necessarily a bad thing, losing is an essential step to getting better.
If you come into it with the attitude that you want to win and not lose, you are setting yourself up for disappointment most of the time.
If you come into it with the attitude of just wanting to improve, then you'll always 'win' even if you lose, because you'll be mindful of why you lost, and what you can do next time. If you ask questions about how you played people will usually be tripping over themselves to give you advice and feedback, and really the best part of competitive fighting games is that constant road of improvement that you walk, always testing and challenging yourself and trying to get better and better.
Don't be afraid to approach people for tips or advice (particularly if you find other players who play the same character as you) and of course you'll be playing a game you love so as long as you dont beat yourself down you'll have fun!

Chris Sifniotis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
chrissifniotis
@ Luco Luco @ luke_atyeo luke_atyeo That's really the end game for me, I know I said I'll be giving competitive play a go but as long as I have fun around like-minded people and met some new mates I really don't care if I lose. :) Saturday for me will be a great education in more than just gameplay, and that's exactly what I want out of it. I hope to see you both there.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
@ Luco Luco @ luke_atyeo luke_atyeo That's really the end game for me, I know I said I'll be giving competitive play a go but as long as I have fun around like-minded people and met some new mates I really don't care if I lose. :) Saturday for me will be a great education in more than just gameplay, and that's exactly what I want out of it. I hope to see you both there.
I would love to see you there too! If it wasn't for the fact I'm currently on a gap year program in Israel! :p :laugh:

If you're still around by the end of 2015, I'll be back by then, so I would be very happy to meet you! :D

Last edited:

Chris Sifniotis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
chrissifniotis
I would love to see you there too! If it wasn't for the fact I'm currently on a gap year program in Israel! :p :laugh:

If you're still around by the end of 2015, I'll be back by then, so I would be very happy to meet you! :D
*pretends to be Jeremy Clarkson* Oh....$#!+, I mean 'bother!' :grin: No matter, I'll stick around for you. :D

SethT

Smash Ace
I'll be showing up for this one. Reppin' Ganon this event boiz.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Sorry didn't know where to ask this, but I could't find info on the Sm4sh rulesets you use. Main things I'd like to know are the stock count and whether KJ64 is legal here or not. Thanks in advance.

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
BREAKING NEWS

Reports are coming in of a freak cyclone forming over Burwood. We cut now to live images of the storm from our weather satellite.

Our local Burwood report, Mike Wazowski joins us now for a live report from the cyclone.

There have already been several casualties from the freak cyclone. Please keep the families of Patv, iKill, and Ariel in your thoughts and we all hope they can overcome their sudden, immense loss.

EDIT: Reports are coming in that SydneySmash|Zxv has been seen leaving Burwood with a bag of money in each hand.

Last edited:

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
what the **** tom I am in tears, thats the actual best post I've ever seen on this site.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
There goes our banana crop again this year Australia. Look what you did guys, now nobody wins. >:I

Last edited:

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
Smash City Easter Melee Bracket
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
Zxv
$48.00
2nd
RJ
$24.00
3rd
Cunchy
$8.00
5th
MC
5th
Unreon
7th
William
7th
Zorsy
9th
Yam
9th
IU
9th
Patv
9th
Jnuts
13th
Cole
13th
Gabe
13th
Gords
13th
Kait
Smash City Easter WiiU Pro Bracket
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
Zxv
$48.00
2nd
Scarpian
$24.00
3rd
Kira
$8.00
4th
Atyeo
5th
M
5th
Mike Wazowski
7th
Randy
7th
iKill
9th
Bjay
9th
Saucy dancer
9th
Enn
9th
Patv
13th
Ariel
13th
Eval
13th
Fruity
13th
Denubis
Smash City Easter PM Singles
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
Zxv
$36.00
2nd
Cunchy
$18.00
3rd
Lux
$6.00
4th
Mike Wazowski
5th
Unreon
5th
Gords
7th
William
7th
M
9th
Cole
9th
iKill
9th
Flex
9th
Halim
Smash City Easter PM Doubles
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
Lux & Ronaldo
2nd
ZxGords
3rd
William & Gabe
4th
Julian & Unny
5th
Jnuts & Phibzy
5th
Ray & SaucyDancer
7th
Jim & Headphones
7th
IU & Cole
SC Easter WiiU doubles
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
Randy I kill
2nd
M atyeo
3rd
Enn scarpian
4th
PatV Bjay
5th
Brendan kristoph
5th
Seth Invisi
7th
Aerial denubis
7th
Gany connector
9th
Moog Kait
9th
Goldy lulu
9th
Vk Dave

EDIT: zxv can you stop playing every character in the game in tournament, I can only list two of them :[

Last edited:

Kaito King

Smash Rookie
Kait used Falcon and Marth in Melee Singles. Also, how many people entered Melee Singles altogether?

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Gee wiz Zxv that's one way to make a living outta smash. :grin: But awesome job, looks like you've really been pushing yourself and it's payed off. =D

And so hype at Scarpian at 2nd place, best falcon is best. :3

Chris Sifniotis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
chrissifniotis
Hiho! Reporting back from my first smash;

"Some say I lost every one of my pool matches,
and that my name is too long to fit in the player tag,
all we know is I am the Unusual Gamer."

It was fun and I enjoyed myself, but almost immediately I understood the gravity of just how far I'd need to good before I became anything that remotely qualifies as a decent player. Still I at least got to get in a number of friendlies and did some socializing, which is another of my personal goals since I am to a degree socially deficient. I also took part in the Wii U amateur crew match and bore witness to the epicness of the first few rounds. It was a good day and I'd love to come back. :)

PDoge

Smash Rookie
Hello fellow smashers, I have entered two tournaments so far, and have enjoyed both of them to a certain extent. I wish I had access to a Wii U to further improve my mains as I have no other way to do it besides using the 3DS. I also want to keep my circle pad safe on the 3DS, so I can't do any crazy movement on that compared to the Wii U.

Anyway, I have been happy with both results of my two tourneys, and I would also like to point out that I suffered the Gords seeding *shakes fist*. Hopefully, I will see you guys in the next tournament, but if it is my last then...I had fun, which is all I care about.

swordsaint

Smash Master
I don't play anymore, but do you guys record your smash 4 finals? Wouldn't mind watching a few, see how you guys are going.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
The guy whose PC we were using to record stopped coming to events. We're finalizing our own build right now, hopefully it won't be too much longer before we're back to recording.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I was more interested in the most recent tournament that ZXV won, but thanks Lucy.
<3

Oh that's where they'll be uploading the vids to I'm sure, that's why I linked it - I'll be really excited to see em too yup! =D

EDIT: Derp, I didn't see EA's post hahah. Well, that's where they will upload them in future! :p

Last edited:

PDoge

Smash Rookie
i would like to point out that I had nothing to do with the Smash 4 pool creation or bracket seeding, thats all @ luke_atyeo luke_atyeo 's doing
Bjay told me you handled it, so I just sorta stuck to it. But now I know I have terrible luck when Luke makes the pools.

Anyway, I shall be getting a Wii U soon...just because playing once a week feels bad for me, and by owning one, I should improve my Ness a lot, but who knows. See you all at UTS Underground this week!

PDoge

Smash Rookie
@ Luco Luco - When you get back next year or this year. Please allow me to play a friendly Ness vs Ness match with you. I would love to learn more from more experienced Ness players.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
But now I know I have terrible luck when Luke makes the pools

the way I make pools involves each pool having a 1st seed and a second seed in it from the top 16 players. (8 1st seeds and 8 2nd seeds) and 2 players from each pool go through so the idea is that the top 16 players who go through to bracket are the best 16 players there at the time.
who is actually top 16 is sometimes not super clear, but the last few tourneys results are used as the basis to decide who gets seeded most times.
so each pool will have a top 8 player in it and a top 16 player, at least in theory, so you should have 2 tough players in your pool, getting through to the bracket is supposed to be a bit tough. I'm super open to new ideas and new ways of doing things though so if you have any particular criticism or problem with how it went, or have a better idea on how to do it, by all means let me know.

Also where did all the top gear references come from all of a sudden in this thread.

@ Chris Sifniotis Chris Sifniotis ah you were the unusual gamer, nice to meet you man, I had you in my pools.
I hate giving people tips or advice right after playing because I feel like its kinda a douchy arrogant thing to do, but if you are interested I could give you a few pointers. Experience is the most important thing though, if you come to a few more events you'll find you'll have caught up in no time.

Also shoutouts to scarpian, you've improved a lot in a very short time man, well done on 2nd you earnt it.

PDoge

Smash Rookie
the way I make pools involves each pool having a 1st seed and a second seed in it from the top 16 players. (8 1st seeds and 8 2nd seeds) and 2 players from each pool go through so the idea is that the top 16 players who go through to bracket are the best 16 players there at the time.
who is actually top 16 is sometimes not super clear, but the last few tourneys results are used as the basis to decide who gets seeded most times.
so each pool will have a top 8 player in it and a top 16 player, at least in theory, so you should have 2 tough players in your pool, getting through to the bracket is supposed to be a bit tough. I'm super open to new ideas and new ways of doing things though so if you have any particular criticism or problem with how it went, or have a better idea on how to do it, by all means let me know.
Ah OK, thanks for clearing that up. I don't think there is a way to improve it because it seems fine as it is. I can see what you are doing, and it helps with newcomers such as me to go against tough players, which can teach me more about the top players and also improve on my characters as well.

Last edited:

Chris Sifniotis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
chrissifniotis
ah you were the unusual gamer, nice to meet you man, I had you in my pools.
I hate giving people tips or advice right after playing because I feel like its kinda a douchy arrogant thing to do, but if you are interested I could give you a few pointers. Experience is the most important thing though, if you come to a few more events you'll find you'll have caught up in no time.
Absolutely! At this point I'll take anything I can get. I won't be able to make Smashing Good Time this time but I'll keep an eye out for the next Wii U event. And yeah I remember seeing you, g'day from Carlingford.

Top Bottom