• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official NSW - Next Event: use discord or facebook i'm lazy

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Hey everyone, again @Noserus and I will be having a meet this Friday in Castle Hill from 5pm onwards. Message me if you're interested! Already 3 setups there capable for PM and Melee but 64 is welcome as well if people can bring setups. (Smash 4 at the moment is an impossibility as we do not have monitors)

If we can get this meet to become big enough I'll likely make a thread and fashion it more officially. Last time we ran a small 8 man PM bracket and it was pretty fun! I hope you all can make it :)

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I didn't betray you I swear! I'm just, err, practicing, with the ME scene, yeah, that's it...

Actually I'm really excited to play some of the competitive smashers around here. Don't think I'm not practicing for when I come back! :bee:

Last edited:

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
go to tournament, it's tomorrow: https://www.facebook.com/events/1587957838125490/
it's at UTS Concourse, where ever that is?!

Come stake your claim on the leaderboards!

SGT. will begin a ranking of both titles and respective characters.
Think you're the most styl'n Cpt. Falcon in Sydney? Think you have the smoothest 64 jank? Prove it.

A point system (yet to be decided) spanning over multiple tournaments should add a intresting king of the hill aspect to the Sydney Smash Scene.
More details to come....

Regarding the actual tournaments, it will be pretty standard.
$10 Entry
$5 Per Tourney
Free for all spectators and friendlies

Receive your $10 Entry fee back if your bring a set-up**

Prize pool made up of aggregate tourney fees.
1st (60%)
2nd (30%)
3rd (10%)

WiiU Rules (coming soon)
Melee Rules (coming soon)
N64 Rules (coming soon)

Get practising to go down in the Sydney Smash history books!

**Either:
WiiU + adapter + game
Or
Melee + crt
Or
N64 console + game

Bring it all if you've got it :)

be there or be square bear

Last edited:

Chris Sifniotis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
chrissifniotis
IT LIVES!!!! THE SCENE LIVES!!!!
*coughs*
Yeah, nah, too late notice for me. I do have a fortnight off of work though, so lay anything else on me.

Last edited:

Lex__

Smash Journeyman
Mate, you really have to get in on the facebook group it is prob the first place news of a tourney is posted and sometimes the poster forgets to post on the smashboards thread.

That one was posted like 7 days ago from memory.

GTR

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, the UNSW Smash Brothers Society will be running its second Never Stand Still tournament on the 4th of July. (i.e. week before Town & Sydney)

https://www.facebook.com/events/838844719517364/

Currently the confirmed games are:
- N64
- Smash for Wii U
- Project M

Melee has not been confirmed due to it being reliant on the number of setups/people on the day.

All rules will be the same as those used for Town & Sydney in order to get everyone prepared for the occassion.

Hope to see you all there!

https://www.facebook.com/events/838844719517364/

Zero

Smash Hero
Seconded. At least make the group open to the public, if you expect people to read it as the first source of information.

oh the irony

Fun tourney yesterday, let's make doubles a thing at events again!!!!!

Last edited:

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
Public isn't really an option, way too many bots try to join the group (turned away at least 5 yesterday, pretty normal day). Realistically, people just need to post the info both places. I'll mention it to the TOs and I'll try to keep people up to date here if they forget :)

Hmm, I may as well make a link dump here for people about various sydney smash stuff

Skype Group: [link under construction]

Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/145359035665748/

Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/sydneysmash

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/SydneySmash

Twitter (dead?): https://twitter.com/sydneysmash

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
speaking of keeping people up to date :/

There's a UTS event tonight open 5pm-5am. Gold Coin entry. Event here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1576122079318409/
It's at UTS concourse or something? I'm not sure either lel
EDIT: "Walk in the front door off of the street (Broadway)into the main(old ugly) building and go down the stairs. Turn left and look for a down wheelchair ramp on your left again. I'll post a video around 4"

I'll probably be running a FERN ladder. Don't worry if you don't know what that is.

Last edited:

Gords

Smash Champion
Guys the next UNSW tourney is on the 4th July
Never Stand Still #2

should be a great opportunity to practice some smash for the Major tournament Town and Sydney the following weekend.
link to the face book event is in the OP

Scarpian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scarpian
SGT. Wii U Doubles and Singles this Sunday https://www.facebook.com/events/1170617256288850/

At the UTS Concourse

$10 entry (Spectators/guests and people just playing friendlies are free)
$5 Singles
$5 Doubles

Receive $10 if you bring a Wii U + GC adapter

There will also be a 'Royucas" only Singles tournament

I will see you all there :172:
I also need a partner for dubs :3

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Just passing this through the vine, but Smashcapps is working on a project that should make day to day tournaments easier to access by the larger smash audience, and NSS#2 was entered into it so hopefully the stream will have a decent amount of viewers. :D

Last edited:

eRonin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
eRonin
3DS FC
3969-5180-1975
Will the stream be just for Melee? Will there be a Smash 4 stream?

luxingo

Smash Journeyman
The stream for Never Stand Still #2 will be for Melee and PM, due to the way the room is set up.

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
speaking of keeping people up to date :/

There's a UTS event tonight open 5pm-5am. Gold Coin entry. Event here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1576122079318409/
Are these Tuesday night things at UTS on every week, or every fortnight, once a month...or...how does it work? Thinking of popping in every so often as it's just down the road from work for me.

(I'm not on facebook)

Last edited:

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Wasn't going to go tonight anyway :) But maybe next week. Might look to come down maybe once every 2 weeks to play some Smash 4.

I'm not on facebook so is there another location that I can check to make sure it's on week to week?
Not from what I know of. You'd have to ask individual people. Perhaps Budd will start a Smashboards thread for the UTS series soon.

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
Yeah there should definitely be at least a thread on here that's regularly updated with that kind of thing for those of us that don't use facebook, which I imagine is a reasonable number of players.

Last edited:

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Yeah there should definitely be at least a thread on here that's regularly updated with that kind of thing for those of us that don't use facebook, which I imagine is a reasonable number of players.
You'd be surprised; Australian smash is on Facebook frequently, at least in comparison to other regions.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
I know it has only been a week and a bit since Town and Sydney, but is there any idea as to when the next monthly will be? Thanks :)

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Just to let you know I'm still alive (UK is strong):

Well, here's my first English tournament! :o

5th out of 34 / Meltdown weeklies / 20/7/15 / London

Bracket: http://gp-tips.challonge.com/dmm5

This tournament I finally learnt the Sonic MU! That cost me winners bracket and also almost sent me straight out of losers bracket :p What happened is that I went against the second best player (well I mean he went on to win the tournament so....) in the UK (Ixis) and even won game 1 (although I suspect he was playing off point and under-estimated me), but lost games 2 and 3 (I really did have a chance to win them though, especially game 2). The Sonic MU is hard. I think there's counterplay to it though, I was just being too aggressive, throwing out stuff when I shouldn't have.

I know this isn't chronological, but a quick step back, I faced a Marth main who had only been playing the game for 2 days in round one. He was actually rather good for his first time in smash 4 (I think he was a melee player normally) and our first match wasn't too far apart, although I was using Lucas that match. Actually I might have used Lucas for both. :o

Going into losers, I had to face Jamz, another Sonic main who was also terrifyingly good. When I lost game 1 I thought I was out of the tournament. In game 2, it came down to last stocks high percent and I clutched out the Bthrow, and in game 3 I got really lucky and Nair stage spiked him when he was trying to recover. In both game 2 and 3, I calmed myself down and started doing a lot better, although it was still really close.

From there my winning streak started - if you look down the bracket you'll see a bunch of 2-0's in my favour. I went against 4TFYER (can't remember who he used actually), LDR100 (A Link main - I thought I'd have a lot of trouble but I did my newer strategy of keeping calm and analytical and not blindly rushing in and it was much easier), EDC (A Sheik main, I was able to kill him before he killed me, usually) and NW (an MK main, I thought this MU was going to be really hard but in the end it was actually okay, his upB stuff stopped working on me because I started DI-ing it (or something happened) and he's usually get punished for it as a result, in neutral I was able to come out on top the vast majority of the time).

I went up against SmashBound, UK's best Ness (I'm pretty sure). I was really excited for the ditto, but it turned out his Ness played so differently from any other I'd seen. He also knew how to recover (dem AD cancels), and I found myself having to think about my own habits as a player and how I'd go about beating myself in order to beat him. Alas, it was too late and he had won both games. I think I'll be able to figure that one out next time though, he's super risky, often going for PKT2 reads or Fsmash, so I just have to be a little more respectful and it'll be fine.

I'll hopefully go back next week. It was really fun, and if I can get better here I think it'll do loads for me going back home. <3

Last edited:
Top Bottom