• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NSW] Boost: REBOOT - Sunday, the 11th of September 2011

Nova

Banned via Warnings
Ok, I guess I'm over my little anti-smash mood I got into. I blame SA's ******** weather.

Mini-shout outs:

Luke: lolz, at least we actually spoke this time. Even if it was for like 10 seconds, and even if it was about speaking more. >_> I'm sure we will if we eventually get put in the same pool or placed in brackets against each other. In which case I'm not looking forward to it 'cause your Snake is scary and I hate his range and how long he lasts (I think it's like a smashboards thing to now point out the gay (wait is this one gay or just sexual) joke).

Scott: Congrats on coming 3rd. We'd probably work better in doubles if we had more practice. We both made some silly mistakes, but it happens. Definitely stick with the Falco though.

Meteor: I didn't actually see your Sonic play at all, how did it go? I know your ******* Ness was used in doubles and it's still a *******.

Shaya: I think I shouted out to you before but w/e. Playing you was fun. My Snake was really campy because in my view you have to be one of the best people at punishing and I just thought if I kept rolling around with grenades I'd get somewhere. I had more fun using Sheik/Zelda though; by far the best Marth I've versed, though you already know that.

Toby: Only played you in doubles but I could easily tell you would have whooped me in singles (especially Squirtle, ugh wtf). Hope I can play that PT in singles sometime. I'd like Zelda/Sheik against it. Transformers ftw.

Scabe: Yeah truth be told Olimar is one of my better characters, but I just don't see myself ever sticking to one character. I'm sure as hell not using Ganondorf in pools again though. I have so much respect for you as a player. Your abilities with Link are just ****ing crazy, and I envy your dedication.

AK: Both of our matches were really, really close. Wish I could have gotten some more in with you. Next time hopefully.

Vermy: You're awesome. Dunno what happened in that Fox V Falco match, it's like we switched positions near the end.

Ugly: It completely slipped my mind that you were the other person who actually reps Ganon in tournaments in that room. Arrrrgh we needed Ganon V Falcon or Ganon V Ganon matches.

Tedeth: I played you in a Ganon ditto in Melee. I failed, I need to use less C-stick (picking up Melee a bit, when I jump I now actually attack, isn't that awesome?).

DON: The 5 seconds I spoke to you was like the highlight of the day for me.

...Ellipsis...: You look awesome. Also your MK can go shuttle loop himself into an endless pit. Too good for me; I'll work on the Olimar a bit more as I'm generally awful as Snake unless it's teams.

Cao: lol. What a joke those two matches we had were. You still won easily and all you was doing was trying to rest me. I learned that Roy-Kill-Jiggs-In-One-Hit thing now though, so the stupid Balloon will die next time.

Ilag: Your E-personality does nothing for you. You're much more tolerable in real life. You did really well in your pool matches (much better than I did), congratulations.

Chu: Lol you seemed to be as out of it as I was near the end. Our Melee matches were hilarious, so much fail on both our behalves.

Condog: I'm glad I wasn't put against you. Kirby still remains as my most hated character and people who use him should be destroyed. jks.....maybe.... ^_^

Hotdog: Unlike Condog, I did verse your Kirby, and you can stick it somewhere where I don't have to look at it. Very very good with him and I hope I can play you again in the future.

J-Birds: Despite not going against you, your Snake scared me into not asking you for friendlies. Ugh the tech chasing I saw. You're a cool guy.

Silfa: Nah, that was entirely my fault. I honestly thought based on my previous track against DK that Ganon was a smart move, it sure as eggs wasn't though. You played excellently in the latter of our pool matches.

Other random people I've forgotten the names of: You probably beat me in Melee or I had like doubles with you in Brawl. Sorry, I'm bad with names.

J-Birds

Smash Lord
Am i the only one who prefers DThrow-FThrow repeats on chars like DK?
Ooh yeah i was meant to verse you for Kaion Nova my bad

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Rule Addition:

- Controller Port disputes are decided by rock paper scissors (best of one).

Set format:
Opponents choose their characters (blind picks may be called for if requested)
Opponents stage strike and pick to play the resulting stage. The first person to strike is decided by the player/team with the 'unfavourable'/lowest controller port.
Newly added in bold.

This literally means that:
You get the preferred highest port, the other player/team decides who strikes first in the set.

e.g.
Luke wants that port 4, and he wants to win the rock/paper/scissors.
Unfortunately for dear Luke, he loses it; thus Shaya gets port 4.
As a fairness point, Luke may decide if myself (Shaya) or himself picks who has to stage strike first.

Whilst the current norm is fine (whoever strikes/who cares; think of it similarly to the whole blind character pick rule), this has been added purely to avoid any disputes or the envitable 'YOU GO FIRST', 'NAH YOU GO FIRST', etc.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Shaya v ILAG:

Ilag: you strike first
Shaya: why don't you?

BAM.

As I said, it's not some sort of rule most need to abide by.
But it can be enforced even if ports were superficially decided. ;p

It's creating a standard rather than trying to fix a problem.

I LAG

Smash Lord
but shaya seriously what was the point of striking in that game
we just CPed the stages we striked which was like total mind games

tibs7

Smash Champion
i thought whoever cp'ed first was determined by port priortiy, whoever had the higher port chose second? or whoever won the rpc chose second....

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
If I believe what I think you're saying tibs,

This is exactly what I'm saying this is.

Except, in theory one could play Rock Paper Scissors to determine who get's the stage strike first OR who gets their port preference. The loser gets the other.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Foxy
That shoutout that you gave me, made no sense when you started talking about all those AT’s. I really wish you could have shown and taught me IZAC and SMS. :’(
Anyways it was good to hang out with you in the car and play Bomberma and have some karaoke. I’m so lucky I didn’t smell whatever it was that was in the car. Also nice friendlies we had. Link > Toon Link haha ;P
Made no sense huh. Hmm, ok well the IZAC is just, you know what, I've written this out before. Hang on. (Copy Paste) I'll also make some edits to make things easier to understand and stuff. Don't you feel special?

How to Perform: Pull out a bomb, Jump then Instantly Z-drop the bomb and catch it with an aerial. Edit: Actually, that needs to be changed a bit. What you wanna do is, Pull out a Bomb, Jump, Make sure your joystick is in neutral, Almost Instantly Tap Z to Z-drop your Bomb (too early and you'll Cancel your jump with a Bomb Throw, too late and, well it won't be an IZAC.) , Then Instantly Let go of Z (so you wanna make sure it's just a slight tap), Then Instantly catch the Bomb with an aerial. So you wanna make sure you hit Z just after when it would cancel the jump, you wanna make sure you let go of Z as quickly as you can (flick it, tap it, whatever works for you) then you simply instantly catch it with an aerial.
Effect: Similar to the ZAC, the only difference being that the IZAC comes out faster. Edit: And it's way more useful. Especially for Link because it means you can perform Lagless SH aerials with a Bomb amoungst other things.
Note: This is super hard to pull off. But if you do manage to pull it off it means that you can do things like use both hits of Fair while holding a Bomb in the one SH, then you can easily follow up with a bomb throw or whatever. Edit: Jeez this is out dated.... It can also be done with a Double Jump, not just a SH or FH. So yeah, super hard, super useful. Gords has it down, kinda.

And the SMS. Well that was more of a joke really. I'll put it this way. The SMS is potentially the best spacing tool for projectiles. The only problem is, it's frigin hard. Just ask Ted XD. But here it is.

How to Perform: Jump either Backwards or Forwards, Hit Backwards B, instantly hit Forwards.
Effect (Jumping Forwards): Link will Jump Forwards, Reverse his momentum but not the way he is facing and throw the boomerang.
Effect (Jumping Backwards): Link will Jump Backwards, Reverse his momentum but not the way he is facing and throw the boomerang.
Note: This can also be done with a tilted boomerang. To do this simply tilt the Backwards B then hit forwards as normal. This can also be done with arrows (look in the arrows section for information on SMS arrows).

And the arrows....

How to Perform: Jump Backwards or Forwards, Slightly tilt Backwards B, instantly Hit Forwards.
Effect (Jumping Forwards): Link will Jump Forwards, Reverse his momentum and stay facing the original direction and shoot an arrow.
Effect (Jumping Backwards): Link will Jump Backwards, Reverse his momentum and stay facing the original direction and shoot an arrow.
Note: There is a slight difference between a SMS arrow and a tilted SMS. You will need to try them both to distinguish between the two. Edit: But basically, with the arrows, you barely tilt at all.

There's more to it then that, like running SMS, Up-B SMS, but the ones I've shown you are the ones you wanna learn. That is, if you wanna learn them.
My advice? If you can do it consistently, without stuffing up and accidently using Up-B, then by all means use it. If not, then forget about it.

I love AT's!
(Bomber man was awesome. Or rather, you were way to awesome at Bomber man. Seriously.)

foxy: just thought I'd put you in here instead of being part of the rest... you are deffs one of my fav smashers, and we sure had some lols. also great work against my fox, I thought it was getting pretty good but you know fox inside and out, I can tell that with a bit more expericance you'll become a serial rapist so dont get too dissapointed when you dont make it through to the bracket.
Wow, I feel totally special now! This actually made my day. Which doesn't say much about my day XD. Also, that Fox match, I'm pretty sure that was the only match I played that was close to an even matchup. And it's not as if Toon has tones of bad matchups, it's just that there seem to be a lot of Snakes, MK's, Falco's, Marth's, and so on. And I definitely wasn't expecting to make it through the bracket. I mean, did you see who was in our pool? Oh well, I did what I went there to do. Not come dead last and meet new people.

Catcha next time man.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Wavebouncing is so hard. Wahwah. :(

Shaya - Isn't lower port better in almost all cases except if you're against snake? I mean, it doesn't matter since it's only a basis for striking order (rps?), but still...

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
If two people grab eachother at the same time in Brawl,
it isn't determined by whoever has lower port, rather it's decided randomly.

I don't believe lower port gets anything else.

I should probably edit it to be more like
"Rock Paper Scissors has the winner decide either:
a) Their preferred port.
or
b) Their preferred order in stage striking."

And scoot, don't be silly.
It has the same significance of a rule as "blind character picks" or port preference. How often are you doing RPS before a set anyway?

If there's issues with who stage strikes first, this is how the decision is made.
If there is never an issue, then this won't concern you, will it?

swordsaint

Smash Master
When was the last time anyone double blinded?
Who really cares who strikes first?

The only match that seemed to have that problem was you and ILAG, because Ilag's a troll.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Wait, so i provide an example, and you dismiss it as irrelevant? Arbitrarily diregarding examples does nothing for your argument.

The rule is there specifically for those one of occurances.

Bjay

Smash Lord
Gah, so many rules.

Oh yeah speaking of rules I wanted to ask you Shaya about the counterpicking.

Your counterpick goes basically, loser has to choose a stage, and winner can choose to change character if they want to. Well, something like that anyway.

What I want to know is, what is the reason for this order? We're counterpicking a stage for a reason, if the winner gets to change character after the stage has been decided, well that would usually make the stage counterpick a bit useless.

Now, I'm not complaining or trying to change it, since I accept your rules, I'm just trying to get an understanding of your counterpicking system.

If anyone else could help explain why that would be nice too, thanks. ^^

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Well, its obviously not one off, or the rule wouldn't be in place already. Just because it doesn't happen frequently doesn't mean the rule shouldn't be there

EDIT: bjay: it's so it gives the person who lost a chance to choose a stage they have an advantage on, but also allows them to choose a character that retains this advantage after their opponent has reacted accordingly to the stage choice.

Bjay

Smash Lord
Hmm I'm still somewhat confused. :(

If Player Y loses, picks Stage A, and Player X chooses a character which is good for Stage A, then Player Y's stage choice is less effective...isn't it?

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
If two people grab eachother at the same time in Brawl,
it isn't determined by whoever has lower port, rather it's decided randomly.

I don't believe lower port gets anything else.
These threads say otherwise. Explain?

When was the last time anyone double blinded?
Who really cares who strikes first?
Summoner and I double-blinded at Boost VI, "lolol oos, doesn't matter" doesn't really apply here.

Also strike order CAN matter, if two people have similar striking preferences. Say you have two strikes each, but one of these overlaps. So three stages get striked, the player who strikes last gets their preference of the remaining two stages.

bjay said:
If Player Y loses, picks Stage A, and Player X chooses a character which is good for Stage A, then Player Y's stage choice is less effective...isn't it?
Not really. The player who picked the stage can then choose a character that does better/just as well on that stage (eg I cp FD, opponent picks Diddy or something, I can still use MK even though I intended to use ICs). Also this way introduces some level of strategy, by CPing some stages you can make the opponent think you're going to choose a specific character (seen this happen before in finals), etc etc.

Also what Dekar said, other way around is harsher.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Literally -

Alternate System:

Ganon v Marth:
Ganon wins.

Marth: Changing character?
Ganon: No

Marth: keikaku doori.
*goes Meta Knight*

MK: "What stage you ban?"
Ganon: **** IM SCREWED, I CANT RECOVER ON ANY STAGE MK PICKS!?
*bans rainbow*

MK: FRIGATE ORPHEON IT IS!

-

The controller port guide thread you listed was from early in brawl's existance (early 08).
Michael Hey, a well known American/Japan ICs/finder of chain grabs confirmed that grabs are decided randomly when both occur at the same time.

D0N

Smash Ace
Hmm I'm still somewhat confused. :(

True, but player X has to know how to use that character if they switch. And even then, player Y gets to counterpick player X's character.

Bjay

Smash Lord
True, but player X has to know how to use that character if they switch. And even then, player Y gets to counterpick player X's character.
Ah, woops I see where I went misunderstood then. Thanks D0N! :)

I wasn't aware that Player Y would get to change character to "counterpick" Player X switched characters after the stage discussion has been taken care of. I don't think I was even knew that I was somehow thinking that Player Y had to change their character first. :S

Well, I understand now. Thanks D0N and everyone else, and Shaya. :p

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
Wavebouncing is so hard. Wahwah. :(
foxy was talking about Special Momentum Shift, which is different from Wavebouncing, wavebouncing in itself is really really easy, you shouldnt be having problems with it at all.
maybe I'm just a freak, ted told me I was like the only snake that use's it properly.

but if you really are having trouble with it ea I'll help you learn it properly, just come ask me next time we're at the same whatever together

oh and I'm pretty sure the lower port gets the grab, provided both characters try to grab on the EXACT same frame, which as you know is probably going to happen to each of us maybe once in our entire smash careers if at all, so either way, higher port sounds better.

although there are some characters and situations where lower port is better strats wise

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Wavebouncing is easy, SMS is not easy.

Against Snake, go for port 4, everyone else, port 1.

Toby: <3

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Luke - It was sarcasm, I don't have trouble wavebouncing at all; I was just poking fun at the whole "SMS is hard" thing. Really, an SMS is what, jumping in a direction and wavebouncing back-forward? Sounds like a fairly typical application of wavebouncing to me. I don't find it difficult at all. :/ (Standing Nana Desync has a similar motion, for the record.)

S.D

Smash Master
So basically two out of staters who probably won't come again for a long time. In either case, a one off is hardly relevant.

I call double blinds, sometimes you have to depending on player.

Gah, so many rules.

Oh yeah speaking of rules I wanted to ask you Shaya about the counterpicking.

Your counterpick goes basically, loser has to choose a stage, and winner can choose to change character if they want to. Well, something like that anyway.

What I want to know is, what is the reason for this order? We're counterpicking a stage for a reason, if the winner gets to change character after the stage has been decided, well that would usually make the stage counterpick a bit useless.

Now, I'm not complaining or trying to change it, since I accept your rules, I'm just trying to get an understanding of your counterpicking system.

If anyone else could help explain why that would be nice too, thanks. ^^

I think its already been cleared up but this way you dont have to get hard countered by stage and the other person has the ability to counter character after your decision anyways. This is the system dominantly used across the world.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
still not quite sure what the hell sms is because when people start to explain it I just zone out, but if its what I think it is then yes it is quite hard but I can indeed do it.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
1. Jump back or forward.
2. Wavebounce a reversed special.

YAY! You just SMS'd!

Fun fact: MK can't B-Reverse Tornado. (Not that it makes a difference.)

Top Bottom