• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NSW] Boost: REBOOT - Sunday, the 11th of September 2011

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I think this is the difference. Why is your scene "Rome"? I would say that people like myself, James, Rom, aa, Pete, Kuro, Dsc, Dark, Karma who play online regularly, who take the time to organise 64 at tournaments and spend the majority of the day playing the game at said tournaments should be "Rome".

If we specifically go to Sydney to one of your meets, if that's what you're suggesting, then yeah, we'll be playing however you guys play. That said, we only really go to Melbourne to play because that's where the majority of 64 players are located, and are what I am referring to.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Rome is a metaphor for where you are currently located / a place different from 'home' (yes, I know you are aware of this)

zomehgee.
I don't think people care enough about 64 to want to compete with the current group if it forces us to use systems which aren't convenient for us nor are there many people in the scene who actually are able to.

Moral of the story is that likely every tournament I run in the future will have a small smash 64 bracket that will be played on VC.
If I'm running these at once a month on average that's likely more 64 tournaments then you guys/melbourne run (unless you do run 64 at couchwarriors?).

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
No ****.

My group of friends play 64 with eachother every weekend or so. That doesn't make us the capital 64 scene of Australia now does it? On top of that, we'll be doing the same thing. Melbourne once a month for a tourney.

At this point idc, you guys can do what you like. We will go ahead as normal at BAM playing on N64 and emulator just like at ACL. We'll probably end up playing with you guys casually anyway if you're there for it, mainly thanks to James' intellect and ability to have created a gamecube - N64 adapter =).

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Umm, i'm confused. If there is no real tournament scene then why not have both again? (i can look at the other pages but i mostly seem to recall that VC was easier and that for competitive reasons((which you just said don't truly exist)) ).

Just as a side note.

Anyway, i'm off pretty soon, i'll talk some more later. Tbh, i can play VC with GC controllers, it's just it impedes any skill i have for the game and so isn't really as fun. Not to say it isn't fun anyway, just that i find it more fun with the 64(probably cause of nostalgic reasons :p ).

:)

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Having both is dum because why split an already small community? I just don't think vc can hold water competitive wise. If there is one point I want to make abundantly clear, it's that N64 is objectively superior and compatible with the rest of the international SSB64 community. If I make a 9 hour trip to Melbourne and back to play talented players like Pete or Rom, we're not going to take the one chance we have to do so and play on vc. The same holds true for tournaments.

Moreover, having both will screw things over for organising tournaments at events like BAM. A split prize pool and a split tournament? It's silly.

EDIT: Alright so I DISCUSSED it with the more level-headed aa. I would rather compromise and play on vc with you guys rather than have 2 separate scenes. Unless you guys get as good as me. Then I want N64 only =3.

Sorry for the commotion.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
stuff should be up to the organiser, preferably one who knows the scene

shaya can have his VC tournies

any melbourne tournies (ie ones where i run or joint-run) will be N64 with laptop/VC only if needed

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
As someone actively trying to learn/promote 64 in nsw, for what it's worth I really don't care what system it's played on as long as:

1. I can use a GC controller.
2. I'm not bouncing around between versions.

Achieving both and still playing on N64 does present some challenges but is certainly possible. At present though it's certainly much easier for nsw as a state to pick up VC 64.

By the way, am I correct in assuming you "real" 64 players play NTSC-U?

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I'm assuming NTSC = NTSC-U

NTSC is greatly preferred as it is 60FPS, over PAL's 50FPS. Emulator also runs at 60FPS regardless if it is NTSC or PAL for whatever reason. "Real" players is a bad describing word but I see where you're going haha.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Well I don't really know what else to call you lol. The important thing is you know who I mean. :p

And yeah by NTSC-U I mean the NTSC that's not japanese, aka the US version (should have said this from the start). We are presently using the US version here but knowing what you guys use will make any kind of inter-scene crossover a bit easier.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Fair enough lol. Yeah (U) is used mostly.

FYI, Japanese don't play SSB64, they play NINTENDO ALL STAR! DAIRANTO SMASH BROTHERS =D

It is amusing to play from time to time for the hilarious sound-effects and near complete lack of DI. There are many, many other differences too.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Yeah we were playing the J version a bit today, foxy loves it cause of lolsfx. I have read the changelist, but is it just me or is mario's head physically bigger in J? tbh tho I would be more interested in a E->U changelist since that will be more relevant to us.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Mario's head is not bigger, his body is smaller. He looks weird lol. I'm not aware of an (E) > (U) change list though sorry. aa might have it however, he is very knowledgeable on this sort of stuff and theory-craft in general.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Only changes I know of are that Link+ Falcon have better horizontal airspeed, Ness' U-Smash has some slight trajectory changes (very, very unsure, this might be completely wrong) and I believe there was something about Onix, but that's basically it.

Oh, and the obvious 50fps dirkitry.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
In other news, been coding a new tournament organiser program.
started from 'scratch' again and started doing a single elimination one over wrapping my head around a DE tournament (doing it now will be easier when I have the time)

(This is from 'copying' the brawl singles bracket from last tournament):
Code:
> Round 1
Match: 1/15 Wvz vs. Invisi
> Round 2
Match: 2/0 Wvz vs. Ted
Match: 2/1 Rad vs. Scoot
Match: 2/2 Mungo vs. Shaya
Match: 2/3 Enemy vs. Zxv
Match: 2/4 Fishy vs. Zero
Match: 2/5 Didier vs. iKill
Match: 2/6 EA vs. Bjay
Match: 2/7 Gords vs. Alex
32. Invisi
> Round 3
Match: 3/0 Gords vs. Ted
Match: 3/1 Bjay vs. Scoot
Match: 3/2 iKill vs. Shaya
Match: 3/3 Zero vs. Zxv
16. Alex
16. EA
16. Didier
16. Fishy
16. Enemy
16. Mungo
16. Rad
16. Wvz
32. Invisi
> Round 4
Match: 4/0 Zxv vs. Ted
Match: 4/1 Shaya vs. Scoot
8. Zero
8. iKill
8. Bjay
8. Gords
16. Alex
16. EA
16. Didier
16. Fishy
16. Enemy
16. Mungo
16. Rad
16. Wvz
32. Invisi
> Round 5
Match: 5/0 Scoot vs. Ted
4. Shaya
4. Zxv
8. Zero
8. iKill
8. Bjay
8. Gords
16. Alex
16. EA
16. Didier
16. Fishy
16. Enemy
16. Mungo
16. Rad
16. Wvz
32. Invisi
>Round 6
1. Scoot
2. Ted
4. Shaya
4. Zxv
8. Zero
8. iKill
8. Bjay
8. Gords
16. Alex
16. EA
16. Didier
16. Fishy
16. Enemy
16. Mungo
16. Rad
16. Wvz
32. Invisi
Printing results is lame when you include byes :glare:

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
you probably got last for losing twice straight away in bracket making you last, but other people who also lost twice straight away and are placed higher then you would have gotten a 'bye' putting them further ahead of you in the bracket despite performing the same.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
yeach actually either that thing is ******** or I am reading it wrong since it has you out as of the beginning of round 2.

shaya and his crazy new systems that always get thrown out

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
it's a single elimination based of the winners bracket results from the last tourney

so yeah, that's why he's out round two.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Shummunar ish shmart.
fixed the printing of results anyway:

Code:
1. Scoot
2. Ted
3. Shaya
3. Zxv
5. Zero
5. iKill
5. Bjay
5. Gords
9. Alex
9. EA
9. Didier
9. Fishy
9. Enemy
9. Mungo
9. Rad
9. Wvz
17. Invisi
But yeah, ignore what it says if you don't get it, its based only on the winner's bracket from last tournament. While I somehow haxed myself into an algorithm for printing results for single elim, doing so for double elim would seem harder :(

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Shaya! have a tournament on the 8th and 9th weekend of october pretty please?

I'll be with ricky the bam weekend plus the extra week :)

And its school holidays!

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I don't think my dad would allow me to come if we did one too soon(although another would be awesome fun). He wasn't exactly fond of taking me all the way in to Sydney on the 11th.

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
Public transport? Also, if you're lucky you may be able to hitch a lift from someone in your area. Where are you from anyway?

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Central coast. Doubt i'd get a good lift unless melancholy decided to drop in on his way(although i think he wanted to meet up sometime soon for some brawl).

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
Oh wow, that is quite a distance lol. Though, like I said, there's always trains.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
where in central coast are you at?

wyong is about as far by train to sydney as where ted lives lol.

btw my grandmother lives up in central coast so if im ever in the area I'd be up for some smash. I dont visit as often as I should but I will definitely be in the area at some point in the future.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Uhh, you guys know Ettalong/Wagstaffe area?

*EDIT* BTW, i keep trying to message Melancholy, but he never responds. Is it possible for a message to not get through? I can't visitor message him either, the visitor messages page won't show up. :/

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
that's a bit of a drive from wyong but it's not like I'll have anything better to do lol. only thing is I will definitely need to be on my Ps (feb) because I dont want to make other people go out that far for me.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Well it is true i could do train. I'd need to talk to my parents about it. Of course, first i need to know if we're actually considering holding a tournament in the near future. (I'd be happy for it i suppose)

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
I'd prefer a Saturday for the tourney (8th). I'd definitely come if it were a Sunday, I'd just have to leave a bit early

Top Bottom