• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic North [Nov 8, 2014] SypherPhoenix's Boosted Biweeklies! - Northern VA (Fairfax, VA, USA)

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
As long as im offering constructive criticism, let me also say that you were being kind of a **** when running singles. Sometimes that’s necessary as a tourney host, but it was you who said there would be a 45 minute break between singles and teams and then ended up taking almost 3 hours (maybe more?) to start singles. A good example of this is when mahone wanted to record our set, then you demanded we played immediately; then when he suggested we take the non-recording couch setup in the corner, you inexplicably demanded we play on the setup w/ chairs closest to you. Those kind of things could be expected for a tourney that was running as efficiently as possible, but again there was an almost 3 hour gap between singles and teams, during which you didn’t even create a well-seeded bracket, especially for the first “circuit event”
The food break ended up being 90 minutes long. Obviously this wasn't intended and I'll go ahead and take the blame, but just because the food break was long doesn't mean that the tournament shouldn't be run effectively.

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
the same way he didn put wenbo above savedge after wenbo beat him in tourny. 1 tourny victory doesnt mean ur better than someone else.

This. Stop saying scrub things Crimson LOOOOOL. How would it be fair to bump Juan up above Sypher JUST cause of that? A lot of people were hard to seed and that's how it's always been; that's why the PRs were so difficult.

God, my set with Chillin was balls. I'm embarrassed. Literally.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
This. Stop saying scrub things Crimson LOOOOOL. How would it be fair to bump Juan up above Sypher JUST cause of that? A lot of people were hard to seed and that's how it's always been; that's why the PRs were so difficult.
Sypher has earned respect with his recent upsets, but that list is garbage. I am under DJ and hot$ despite the fact that I have beaten them both in tournament. I think even they would tell you I deserve to be over them. Mahone has taken sets off lozr, you, and now Chillin, but according to that list hes just middle of the pack. Bones is below Wenz, and Milkman is placed in bottom tier despite making it to 3rd round pools at Pound. There are like a hundred mistakes in that ranking.

I don't actually give a **** about seeding, but its just shocking how off Sypher is about people's skill level.

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
Sypher has earned respect with his recent upsets, but that list is garbage. I am under DJ and hot$ despite the fact that I have beaten them both in tournament. I think even they would tell you I deserve to be over them. Mahone has taken sets off lozr, you, and now Chillin, but according to that list hes just middle of the pack. Bones is below Wenz, and Milkman is placed in bottom tier despite making it to 3rd round pools at Pound. There are like a hundred mistakes in that ranking.

I don't actually give a **** about seeding, but its just shocking how off Sypher is about people's skill level.
As long as people are grouped similarly by skill, it really won't make that much of a difference. There were other factors here: upset, and TR being beyond ****ed up LOOOOOOL.

Anyways, it's not fair to assume Sypher can do ALL of that work by himself. Next time, ask to help.

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
I think I'm just going to stop arguing about anything to do with the bracket, seeding, organization, and anything to do with how the tournament was run in any of my future posts because there's just seriously no point. I already have approval from anybody I care to have approval from. If anybody has any concerns or comments as to how my tournaments are or have been run you can go ahead and PM me and we'll have a nice civilized discussion.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
As long as people are grouped similarly by skill, it really won't make that much of a difference. There were other factors here: upset, and TR being beyond ****ed up LOOOOOOL.

Anyways, it's not fair to assume Sypher can do ALL of that work by himself. Next time, ask to help.
I agree. It really doesn't matter. The only thing I care about is crews (H2YL, Richmond, College Park, etc) being separated as much as possible. The rest is variable and people need to just win the matches given to them instead of johning.

But Sypher is a panelist of the Power Rankings so he should have a better idea about this sort of stuff than he does.

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
Crimson. That's not a god damn ranking list. It's a grouped seeding. It's not like what chillin posted or what you would see on any PR.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Crimson. That's not a god damn ranking list. It's a grouped seeding. It's not like what chillin posted or what you would see on any PR.
So basically you wrote the post in the same format as Chillin's, said "seeding in order", and then put numbers next to the names if there were "no upsets" and you're telling me that was a grouped seeding.

K. Sure Sypher.

MinQ

Smash Apprentice
Milkman >>>>>> krnred. No offense, Min Kyu.
I mean, he placed the same. I'd want to play him for the first time before making any assumptions, but you're entitled to your opinion and I won't take it personally or anything. I know I have a lot of work to do anyways.

Also, seeding is never going to come anywhere close to perfect. It doesn't matter who does the seeding, personal opinion always plays a factor.

Cyrain

Smash Ace
Mahone, I'd just like to point one more thing out before this ends. it turns out there is a rule against coaching, so my bad. I sincerely apologize for breaking the rules. hoooowweeeevvveeerrrr, I wouldn't have told you something like "he was falling through platforms onto your shield a lot and you were just taking the pressure when you could have rolled or up-aired". I would've told you "if fox gets above you, you need to watch your spacing and keep in mind that your up air has a huge hitbox and huge priority and can lead to easy gimps if they throw out obvious high aerials." I didn't break down YOUR style and tell him how to beat YOU. I just gave him pointers on the match. I still don't even really know your style. Still, it was against the rules and for that, I totally do apologize. If we ever play in tournament, feel free to have someone coach you against me. That's all I think I can really do to repay you for breaking the rules.

CTL17

Smash Lord
Whenever I had to seed, I always asked for help from at least three different people. Then when making the bracket, I asked for help again so that certain people don't play each other too early. It's difficult, yes, and it never goes the way you want, but it's good to have a few people to fix some errors.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I mean, he placed the same. I'd want to play him for the first time before making any assumptions, but you're entitled to your opinion and I won't take it personally or anything. I know I have a lot of work to do anyways.

Also, seeding is never going to come anywhere close to perfect. It doesn't matter who does the seeding, personal opinion always plays a factor.
It's also hard to judge how good you are if you insist on playing Falcon vs me.

And if I'm beating you with my trashy Pikachu, it's not exactly helping. :bee:

Pikachu is pretty cheap though. :awesome:

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I don't deserve to be in the same skill bracket as Mahone, he's way better vs spacies (i.e. the only relevant characters haha)

If Juan is a space animal he's going to **** me stop betting on me you ****ing noobs

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
You're only saying this because Remen shut you down at Pound V. But I don't think there can be a comparison between Remen and this Juan guy right now. :ohwell:

Just nair a lot like S2J, and you will be fine. Unless it's Falco, then you're in for it.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Yeah he's a Falco
I'm so free vs Falco
T_T

And whatever at Pound 5
I'm more disappointed by my play vs UUAA

I still don't deserve to be in the same skill bracket as Mahone haha

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
Damn, who are all these random *** kids with terrible *** opinions? MD/VA sure has changed a lot.

A shame I have to work every weekend otherwise I'd show all these new kids what a real smasher can do.

Good stuff Bones on 7th even if it was (mostly) due to a wack bracket.

Good stuff Mahone for taking a set off Chillin, awwww you hurt his pride.

Good stuff TR for never EVER being sober at a tournament.

Good stuff Azen for 9th. LOL

Oh and of course good stuff to Sypher for helping to keep the melee scene alive. 25 peeps at a randoms dudes house is legit.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Next time we should probably just do pools. Like, group 4-6 players of approximately equal skill level into a pool and let them play a round robin. Then they get seeded by their record in the pool. You could have a pool for the best players, worst players, and in between.

inb4timeconstraintjohns

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
Lol. So loving this drama. Makes me wanna come back.

:phone:
STOP SAYING THIS AND DO IT.

****. That's like the 4th time. Quit that garbage other game plz.

LOL Wenbo you need to be more cocky. As a falcon player I feel like it's necessary hahaha.

Mahone

Smash Champion
Mahone, I'd just like to point one more thing out before this ends. it turns out there is a rule against coaching, so my bad. I sincerely apologize for breaking the rules. hoooowweeeevvveeerrrr, I wouldn't have told you something like "he was falling through platforms onto your shield a lot and you were just taking the pressure when you could have rolled or up-aired". I would've told you "if fox gets above you, you need to watch your spacing and keep in mind that your up air has a huge hitbox and huge priority and can lead to easy gimps if they throw out obvious high aerials." I didn't break down YOUR style and tell him how to beat YOU. I just gave him pointers on the match. I still don't even really know your style. Still, it was against the rules and for that, I totally do apologize. If we ever play in tournament, feel free to have someone coach you against me. That's all I think I can really do to repay you for breaking the rules.
I mean like i said before, even if you are giving advice you think is general, i think it is in poor taste to give it to the better player. Also, it really was distracting hearing you talk to him during the match, and tbh it took my focus off the match, i know thats my fault, but still, i couldn't help but think about what you were telling him, and it was frustrating when he was going towards the edge, but then i would hear you, and he would suddenly stop.

You're a really nice guy, i know you weren't trying to cheat or disrespect me, so I'm not mad or anything, i was just joking before. Also, i'm not going to get coaching against you, two wrongs don't make a right, and again don't worry about it, i know you didn't know it was illegal, so its fine.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
yea man these brackets were so lame.... i had to play DJ first round, wtf is that? dont you know im g-regulate? then... DQuo....a falco.... blatant counter to me soooo lame..... then third round i have to play poehlcat? i mean what kind of seeding is this? its amazing i placed as high as i did with such a stacked bracket. i totally feel where everyone is coming from :)

CTL17

Smash Lord
yea man these brackets were so lame.... i had to play DJ first round, wtf is that? dont you know im g-regulate? then... DQuo....a falco.... blatant counter to me soooo lame..... then third round i have to play poehlcat? i mean what kind of seeding is this? its amazing i placed as high as i did with such a stacked bracket. i totally feel where everyone is coming from :)
DKuo will be honored to hear that you consider him a threat of some sort. I mean, he did beat a rusty Laijin, who beat a thumbs, who beat you once, so Inui logic says hi.

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
good stuff tope for never really being all that good at melee singles...... and continuing this trend
good stuff chillin for having a bloated ego and still losing the majority of our last several confrontations and EVEN THEN still begging me to train with you

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
I want to respond to all this arguing but its so goddamn terrible there's nowhere to start. I'll just post my list, of the people who entered, with actual explanations...

There are some tied because I don't want to arbitrarily decide to favor consistency over peak performance or vice versa, and because most of the people outside of the top 4 are so matchup dependent.

(?) Cyrain, Savedge. I can't rank these guys, for obvious reasons.

1). Chillin. He may have lost this recent GFs to Chu, but they split the sets 1-1, and he has the advantage in the head to head vs. Chu overall. He also beats Vist quite consistently, while Vist has had the advantage vs Chu recently. Sometimes loses to thumbs/mahone/whatever in winners, but pretty much always wins the rematch in losers. Still my favorite to win a tournament he's at over anybody, except possibly a serious Cyrain, who I can't rank.

2). Chu. Not much to say, clearly top 2 by results, and I've already argued for Chillin at 1.

3). Redd. Can be really ****, and is definitely capable of beating Chillin/Chu, but way too inconsistent to put over them.

4). Azen. Only putting him this low because of recent results really; he's way too smart. I'm convinced he's here at least, if not 3rd. Sypher doesn't think too much of him based on their tournament set, but I think that must be an anomaly, or a style counter, or something.

From here there start to be some ties:

5, 6, 7). Vist, Thumbs, Mahone.

Not really ordered within here because they each are favored/unfavored vs different people. Mahone and Thumbs have shown that they can take sets off Redd/Chillin. Vist doesn't do quite as well vs the foxes, though almost as well, but he does a LOT better vs Chu. Thumbs and Vist go pretty even from what I can see, Mahone is favored vs Thumbs somewhat, and Vist is favored vs Mahone. I'd pick these guys to beat pretty much everyone below, with the exception that Vist goes even-ish with G-reg. Thumbs has the best peak performance between these three but I can't say he's clearly better because he's also the least consistent of the three.

8). G-reg. Very close to the above three, and does really well vs. Chu (and probably well vs. Azen, I haven't seen them play that matchup though). Will pretty consistently beat those below him. The only reason I put him below those three is he does significantly worse vs Redd/Chillin, from what I've seen.

9). Voodoo. Often gives the top players close games but doesn't often take sets from them. I might be slightly underrating him here, it's hard to say because of inactivity.

10, 11). CK, Laijin. CK is really consistent, but doesn't really beat people above him. Laijin sometimes beats Vist, Thumbs, whatever, but I'd say he's not favored over them. He's also not so great vs Space Animals, which is really important.

12, 13). Wenbo, Sypher. Strong mechanics in a lot of areas, but they also have some bad habits/weaknesses, and bad matchups (cough falco).

14, 15) Milkman, Bones. Sorry Bones, this placing isn't gonna change my mind, since I look at who beats who, not the number next to the result. =\ I know you beat Wenbo, but he was seriously playing terrible there. I might be biased against you because I play you so much, I'm not sure.

After that, whatever. Sorry Minkyu, Eric, etc.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
So, circuit events/Power Rankings bring: bigger attendance, more hype, drama, and more people putting in serious effort/training for events.

Pretty much everything we wanted. Complete success. :)

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
DKuo will be honored to hear that you consider him a threat of some sort. I mean, he did beat a rusty Laijin, who beat a thumbs, who beat you once, so Inui logic says hi.
lol thanks for that <_< on a serious note though, I am rather honored considering this is like my 5th or 6th tourney. I wish I pulled out my pika for the second match but that probably wouldn't have changed anything since G-reg is lightyears ahead of me by both skill and experience x_x

Top Bottom