• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic North [Nov 8, 2014] SypherPhoenix's Boosted Biweeklies! - Northern VA (Fairfax, VA, USA)

CTL17

Smash Lord
lol thanks for that <_< on a serious note though, I am rather honored considering this is like my 5th or 6th tourney. I wish I pulled out my pika for the second match but that probably wouldn't have changed anything since G-reg is lightyears ahead of me by both skill and experience x_x
I quote Pokémon:
"You're still light-years away from facing Brock! (Fights Red and loses) ... Darn! Light-years isn't time! It measures distance."

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
Hah, I remember that.

I think I have proper usage though since I could say 'miles ahead' and it would still make sense, at least more so than what Jr. Trainer♂ said.

chillindude829

Smash Master
good stuff chillin for having a bloated ego and still losing the majority of our last several confrontations and EVEN THEN still begging me to train with you
we havent played in literally years i think so congrats for beating me while i was playing brawl and **** LOL. and who's begging? ive been actively trying to get everyone around here who i think has skill to play, and you're no exception, even if i personally think you're on a swift decline

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
All I have to say is LMAO @ Tope for instigating ****. You used to be the stingiest mod ever rofl.

EDIT: EE, Chillin's tourney is like 5-10 minutes from Syphers next Sat.

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
Whenever I had to seed, I always asked for help from at least three different people. Then when making the bracket, I asked for help again so that certain people don't play each other too early. It's difficult, yes, and it never goes the way you want, but it's good to have a few people to fix some errors.
Just so everyone knows, I did ask for help from three different people.

Oh and of course good stuff to Sypher for helping to keep the melee scene alive. 25 peeps at a randoms dudes house is legit.
36 people! 39 if you count people who came after the crowd left! omgz!

Next time we should probably just do pools. Like, group 4-6 players of approximately equal skill level into a pool and let them play a round robin. Then they get seeded by their record in the pool. You could have a pool for the best players, worst players, and in between.

inb4timeconstraintjohns
That exact method is called swiss system, though you undoubtedly knew that. The biggest problem is time constraints but I'd still like to try this for one of my smaller biweeklies. I tried a few weeks ago but I incorrectly assumed there would be some sort of easy-to-use software available that would do everything for me. It turns out I'll have to do it by hand. Maybe I'll try at the next biweekly.

Mahone, I'd just like to point one more thing out before this ends...
Cyrain, don't worry, I don't think any of us hold it against you. I think we all understand that you weren't trying to be a **** or giving out specifics about Mahone and what's done is done. You're a cool dude and I don't think you need to worry about any sort of repayment.

CTL17

Smash Lord
Ok, so you did ask. Good. It's unfortunate nothing never goes well.

Was your basement alright? Nothing exploded?

Time constraints suck. Maybe we should make matches two stocks. Right.

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
Ok, so you did ask. Good. It's unfortunate nothing never goes well.

Was your basement alright? Nothing exploded?

Time constraints suck. Maybe we should make matches two stocks. Right.
Time wasn't that constrained. We had delays as usual but we really weren't pressed for time in any of the scheduled events. Just that people like friendlies... lol.

Vist

Smash Champion
damn if i coulda beat redd i might have been able to cheese my way to grand finals with character matchups vs mahone then chu lol :urg:

ill be reddy next time for all u spacies

Mahone

Smash Champion
lol, so true, i was hoping to get a chance to take the sunglasses off, but i was also happy with rematching redd, stilll... it would have made for a more exciting winners finals

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
lol, so true, i was hoping to get a chance to take the sunglasses off, but i was also happy with rematching redd, stilll... it would have made for a more exciting winners finals

You're saying Luigi/ICs would be more exciting than Fox/ICs?

*grumble* jiggs players...

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
Actual Statistics vs Chillin

In the last 5 tournament sets I've had with him I've won 3 to his 2.

In the past 10 money matches we've done, I've won 3 to his 7.

In the past 500 friendlies we've done, I've won 283 to his 217. (I played sheik in 86% of those matches and he played fox in 83% of those matches)

I'm ahead.

NO, I DID NOT MAKE THIS UP!

Also on a serious note, Cyrain and I are still the best team in MD/VA closely followed by Me+Chillin

XD

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
^ This is true, but it's really not that much of an issue regardless (if ICies cg)

I have a fair bit of experience in this matchup surprisingly.

Always always ban FD against ICies since they are weaker on platforms.
More often than not ICies will ban Yoshi's Story against Peach (Since it really messes with nana's AI and they die so easy)

This leaves Battlefield FoD and Dreamland. Personally I don't care for battlefield in this matchup since it really doesn't aid peach at all. FoD is better for those rare aggressive peach styles and Dreamland is better for the more common camp the **** outta you peach style.

A well placed float canceled fair to dsmash will typically crush nana's shield if its deteriorated at all. Once they are seperated focus on killing nana after she double jumps back on the stage. It's not too hard to fight lone IC... just throw turnips and stay off the group. The most they can do at this point is WD bair or try to get underneath and usmash/uair. Space for this and anticipate and it's easy money.

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
So why did you cp fd?

It's the stage I'm most comfortable on with Peach. It's what we ALWAYS used to play on back in the day so I just know the area better lol..

My peach is pretty new but I really like her, mine is janky as ****. Please mm it next weekend for $1. That goes for anyone. mm my peach hahaha.

Bones0

Smash Legend
14, 15) Milkman, Bones. Sorry Bones, this placing isn't gonna change my mind, since I look at who beats who, not the number next to the result. =\ I know you beat Wenbo, but he was seriously playing terrible there. I might be biased against you because I play you so much, I'm not sure.

After that, whatever. Sorry Minkyu, Eric, etc.
No need to apologize; I don't take offense from that ranking at all. If I had to turn to anyone to avoid biasing myself, it would definitely be you. I've always felt you had a good feel for sort of "pegging" players, whether it's what their strengths and weaknesses are or how they stack up. I kinda figured Wenbo wasn't at the top of his game; in fact, I'd say he's always played pretty inconsistently in tournament, at least against me. I think I lost to him at my first Graphix, then I beat him at my second Graphix, then he won at a later Graphix. Shell Shocked he was half asleep, and then at the last Graphix he won a 3-2 set that went down to the wire. He 2-0'd me at the CP smashfest free tourney, and then I came back and 2-0'd him here at Sypher's. I honestly don't know who is the inconsistent one, me or him. lol

As far as Sypher goes, not too sure what he would be ranked. Only played him in a few friendlies, and that was pre-Pound. I beat Juan in Falco dittos and Juan is the one who knocked out Sypher so I'm pretty sure I would win in a head-to-head, but as you said he seems to have weak gameplay against Falco players so I wouldn't necessarily rank myself above him just because of that.

So in general, I feel like my skill level is just really slanted based on the matchups I get. I openly admit I suck against Fox/Sheik, but against most other characters I do significantly better. Obviously Fox/Sheik covers a big chunk of players though, so like I said before, I'll just have to step it up and prove that this tourney wasn't a complete fluke. I'm definitely going to work on my matchup knowledge and experience, as I feel like that's most of what's holding me back, not really my spacing, approaching, mindgames, etc. (not saying those portions of my gameplay are perfect, but they have developed about 10 times more than my matchup knowledge because of only being able to practice against DJ). Now that Voodoo is playing again, I will have some good practice and hopefully be pulling some legit upsets not too far from now. ;)

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord

It's the stage I'm most comfortable on with Peach. It's what we ALWAYS used to play on back in the day so I just know the area better lol..

My peach is pretty new but I really like her, mine is janky as ****. Please mm it next weekend for $1. That goes for anyone. mm my peach hahaha.
I'll MM your peach, G6 sound good?

hot$

Smash Ace
Bones, I was watching you play, and you are funny to watch. Your facial expressions are very involved and it was humoring to see. (not trying to pick on you) just stating my observations. ;)

Bones0

Smash Legend
lol yeah, I know I have a funny gamer face. My mouth often gets dry after a long game because when games are close my mouth is just wide open. XD Can't help it. I also think I have a weird tendency to talk loud, borderline shout stuff when I'm playing. I think that might be a habit from playing Halo. LOL I'm also one of the few people I've ever seen literally facepalm when they make a mistake.

Cyrain

Smash Ace
Also, it really was distracting hearing you talk to him during the match, and tbh it took my focus off the match, i know thats my fault, but still, i couldn't help but think about what you were telling him
This. All argument aside, this **** gets to me too. During my set with PP at TO6 or 7 or whatever it was, 3rd match TCB was cheering for me cause i had just made a big runback on PP match 2 to win it. ****ing Yay (I love him) started saying things to TCB that i found to be genuinely insulting and it pissed me off, removed my focus and made me play aggressively/carelessly. I almost paused the match to cuss him out. I hate **** like that.

Cyrain

Smash Ace
Actual Statistics vs Chillin

In the last 5 tournament sets I've had with him I've won 3 to his 2.

In the past 10 money matches we've done, I've won 3 to his 7.

In the past 500 friendlies we've done, I've won 283 to his 217. (I played sheik in 86% of those matches and he played fox in 83% of those matches)

I'm ahead.

NO, I DID NOT MAKE THIS UP!

Also on a serious note, Cyrain and I are still the best team in MD/VA closely followed by Me+Chillin

XD
I just saw this, so ima double post cause i dont know **** about editing posts. We are still the best team in MD/VA despite Tope's hiatus. If he played a character that required skill then I might not think this. Luckily he plays Sheik and will probably just **** everyone despite his rustiness.

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
The edit button is big and blue, how could you miss it???? lol

any idea on a date for the next one of these?

chinesahh

Smash Lord
only shock was seeing azen get 9th. but clearly its only cuz azen lost to chillin/chu.

good to see things are picking back up

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
And Bones. Haha. I really really want to see that bracket.

Well, not so much now that pretty much everyone told me what went down. But it would be nice anyway.

Top Bottom