• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic North [Nov 8, 2014] SypherPhoenix's Boosted Biweeklies! - Northern VA (Fairfax, VA, USA)

chillindude829

Smash Master
yea cyrain couldve just told me one thing prior to the match and it probably wouldve secured my victory. the coaching during the match didnt affect the outcome very much

Cyrain

Smash Ace
That's sort of how I feel about it. In fact, I did explain the match-up before I coached you, particularly how to approach and force spacing against him. Either way, I wasn't trying to piss anyone off.

CTL17

Smash Lord
I think Pound 5 prohibited coaching. I don't think coaching is a bad thing. As long as it isn't distracting to the opponent. I mean, in many plots of random Japanese things, it is important to have the power of your friends and/or to increase the bond of your social links.

KageMurphy

Smash Master
Man who gives a ****? Chillin would of bodied ol boy anyway, lucky I wasn't there, I dare u new queers to try and shut me up, hoe cakes everywhere.

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
So why doesn't SoVa show up to these things? They need to try and get into the MD/VA scene...

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
shoutouts to syphers terrible bracket
Hey dawg, want to make a better bracket?

[collapse=Here are all the players.]Afro Bandit
Azen Zagenite
BigWenz
Bones0
ChaosKnight
Chillindude829
ChuDat
Cyrain
DJ
JCaesar
Juan
Klunky Monkey
Laijin
Mahone
Milkman
Poehlcat
Redd
SavEdge
ScrapMettle
SypherPhoenix
The Crimson Blur
Vist
Voodoo
Wenbo
cmart
dkuo
g-regulate
hot$
krnred225
thumbswayup[/collapse]

How about you post your bracket with expected results, then I'll post my bracket with expected results, and then I post the real bracket. It'll be a good learning experience.

What? There was coaching? I thought that was against the rules... :glare:
Coaching is illegal. I would have disqualified chillin AND Cyrain if I had been there. Don't let it happen again guys.

I don't really see the issue with someone coaching, though Sypher did mention a tournament rule against it. I don't know if that's true and if it is, then my bad.
Having a coach is basically like having an extra brain looking for mistakes the enemy is making. It's also far easier for someone watching to observe patterns and mistakes and recognize how to punish them properly than it is for someone playing the game.

If chillin wants to win, HE has to figure out how to beat Mahone, not anybody else.

Man who gives a ****? Chillin would of bodied ol boy anyway, lucky I wasn't there, I dare u new queers to try and shut me up, hoe cakes everywhere.

D

Deleted member

you think chillin beat you because someone with at most half of his tournament experience told him what to do? whatever, stay free.

Having a coach is basically like having an extra brain looking for mistakes the enemy is making. It's also far easier for someone watching to observe patterns and mistakes and recognize how to punish them properly than it is for someone playing the game.
if you're ****ing ******** maybe. even jersey falcos can figure their opponents out in like 30 seconds of autopilot.

you guys can't actually suck this badly.

edit: while we're talking trash, I'll put $10 on chillin next time this match comes up if someone wants to match me.

CTL17

Smash Lord
I am in process of making a theoretical bracket with assumptions of Cyrain being seeded correctly and the same upsets that happened.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Yessss, want to see the bracket.

Coaching before matches can't be moderated, and it shouldn't be anyway. If someone wants to give preparatory advice about the matchup or even that particular player, that's perfectly fine. Where would the cutoff be between giving advice and coaching? Does advice become coaching once you know who your opponent is, 5 minutes before you play, when? It's too abstract and pointless to try and control.

I agree with Max's main issue with coaching though. People who have a coach during the game or even in between games pointing out things that the player wouldn't normally notice. If you have Ken vs. Isai, but Ken has someone watching his game play and giving him feedback in real time ("he's doing this against you," "you're missing these opportunities," etc.) it becomes a huge disadvantage for Isai, and the game has changed from Ken vs. Isai to Ken and his coach vs. Isai. You could argue that Isai should have a coach as well, but even then you're playing some sort of singles-doubles hybrid. Once you and your opponent are plugged in, all lines of connection should be closed until one player has won and advanced.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
lol @ cyrain for getting in trouble for coaching..I remember toasty got on me once...long agoo...in the golden age of smash..i may have coached during a few important matches ..or something like that

in between matches is allowed though as i understand it.

"He's bigger than you, so you've gotta just bide your time and wait for an opportunity
.. when you find the moment just go low and come in with the uppercut"

chillindude829

Smash Master
Id first seed the players based on recent tourney results:
1 chillin
2 chu
3 redd
4 cyrain
5 azen
6 thumbs
7 mahone
8 g-reg
9 vist
10 savedge
11 sypher
12 ck
13 wenbo
14 laijin
15 poehlcat
16 milkman
17 bones
18 bigwenz
19 thecrimsonblur
20 dkuo
21 jcaesar
22 cmart
23 hot$
24 krnred255
25 AfroBandit
26 DJ
27 KlunkyMonkey
28 Juan

With these seedings, the bracket would look like:
1 Chillin bye
16 Milkman vs 17 bones
8 g-reg vs 25 afrobandit
9 vist vs 24 krnred255

4 Cyrain bye
13 Wenbo vs 20 dkuo
5 Azen bye
12 ck vs 21 jcaesar

2 chu bye
15 poehlcat vs 18 bigwenz
7 mahone vs 26 dj
10 savedge vs 23 hot$

3 redd bye
14 Laijin vs 19 CrimsonBlur
6 Thumbs vs clunkymonkey
11 sypher vs 22 cmart

Unfortunately I don’t have tio on this comp or id go through the whole bracket including losers, but as you can see the winners bracket would’ve been almost definitely down to me vs Azen/Cyrain and Chu vs Redd/Thumbs in the semi’s, making for a much more accurate bracket. I didn’t even consider crews or anything when making those seeds yet they still worked out excellently; I can’t see any cases of people playing their crewmates early at all.

So yeah, you could’ve done a much better job with the bracket. As long as im offering constructive criticism, let me also say that you were being kind of a **** when running singles. Sometimes that’s necessary as a tourney host, but it was you who said there would be a 45 minute break between singles and teams and then ended up taking almost 3 hours (maybe more?) to start singles. A good example of this is when mahone wanted to record our set, then you demanded we played immediately; then when he suggested we take the non-recording couch setup in the corner, you inexplicably demanded we play on the setup w/ chairs closest to you. Those kind of things could be expected for a tourney that was running as efficiently as possible, but again there was an almost 3 hour gap between singles and teams, during which you didn’t even create a well-seeded bracket, especially for the first “circuit event”

edit: thx for the info mow

CTL17

Smash Lord
This is my theory bracket.
Here are my assumptions, which may be true or maybe not so true:
Bones getting off
Cyrain sleep deprived and hungover
Some other results remain that happened that day.

Please don't shun me for that.

chillindude829

Smash Master
^ another excellent "theoretical bracket" which produces far more accurate results than the real one

just saying, considering this tourney's supposed to have actual effects on power rankings it couldve used a better seeded bracket

Cyrain

Smash Ace
For what it's worth, I wasn't pointing out or explaining mahone's style. I was explaining the match-up. 95% of my coaching was "stop obvious laser camping" and "get away from the ledge, it isn't worth it." That being said, I guess I won't coach anyone evar again.

chillindude829

Smash Master
my bad, those seeds are also based on my personal experience, and i dont think ive ever played juan. i meant to say that the bottom half of those seeds might be horribly inaccurate due to my lack of experience vs most of those players

Mahone

Smash Champion
yea cyrain couldve just told me one thing prior to the match and it probably wouldve secured my victory. the coaching during the match didnt affect the outcome very much
Ya, you're right, if that theoretical situation happened im like 90% sure you would have won too.... its a good thing you were so confident in that plan that you asked if we could wait for cyrain before the match started :glare:

you think chillin beat you because someone with at most half of his tournament experience told him what to do? whatever, stay free.

if you're ****ing ******** maybe. even jersey falcos can figure their opponents out in like 30 seconds of autopilot.

you guys can't actually suck this badly.

edit: while we're talking trash, I'll put $10 on chillin next time this match comes up if someone wants to match me.
I don't think you are smart enough to argue with, so i'll just take your money....

For what it's worth, I wasn't pointing out or explaining mahone's style. I was explaining the match-up. 95% of my coaching was "stop obvious laser camping" and "get away from the ledge, it isn't worth it." That being said, I guess I won't coach anyone evar again.
I mean, think about if you had told me what you did after the match before it started, i would have avoided a lot of falling upairs and possibly gotten rests off my upairs along with grab more of his aerials, that would have been more than enough to change the outcome.

I'm actually really surprised that you don't see anything wrong with coaching mid match. Even if it was in between matches, i think it is poor taste to coach the better player.

I still lost, but i thought chillin would at least be man enough to say that he needed help, but of course he has to act like it didn't matter. I don't think its fair that i had to watch my matches vs. redd and play tons of jiggs vs. fox with my friends to get my experience, and then chillin gets to have one of the best fox vs. jiggs players ONLY focus on his mistakes and spacing while he continues to have perfect tech skill :(

I don't want to argue about this anymore... it's already been made clear from most of the posts here that everyone is just assuming that you would have won anyways and they think i'm just johning, so you got what you wanted chillin.

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
seeding in order:

Cyrain
Chillin
Chu
Redd
thumbs
Vist
---
g-reg
SavEdge
Laijin
Voodoo
CK
Azen
Wenbo
Mahone
Sypher
Poehlcat
krnred225
---
Juan
ScrapMettle
Milkman
BigWenz
Bones0
hot$
dkuo
DJ
The Crimson Blur
Afro Bandit
JCaesar
Klunky Monkey
cmart

hard to seed: voodoo, g-reg
probably incorrect due to limited experience: savedge, poehlcat, juan

If my bracket had no upsets and I used the seeding information that I have now for determining winners:

1: Cyrain
2: ChuDat
3: Chillindude829
4: Redd
-
5: thumbswayupmybutthole
5: Vist
-
7: g-regulate
7: SavEdge
-
9: Mahone
9: Azen Zagenite
9: Laijin
9: SypherPhoenix
-
13: Voodoo
13: Poehlcat
13: ChaosKnight
13: Wenbo
-
17: krnred225
17: BigWenz
17: ScrapMettle
17: Juan
17: Bones0
17: Milkman
17: dkuo
17: hot$
-
25: The Crimson Blur
25: Afro Bandit
25: cmart
25: DJ
25: JCaesar
25: Klunky Monkey

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
lol Chillin has a much better idea of how good people are and he doesn't even play friendles most tournaments. What a terrible seeding Sypher.

I'm not even gonna trip about how he put me 5th to last, but how da **** you gonna put Juan below you when he whooped you in tournament?

BigWenz

Smash Ace
lol Chillin has a much better idea of how good people are and he doesn't even play friendles most tournaments. What a terrible seeding Sypher.

I'm not even gonna trip about how he put me 5th to last, but how da **** you gonna put Juan below you when he whooped you in tournament?
the same way he didn put wenbo above savedge after wenbo beat him in tourny. 1 tourny victory doesnt mean ur better than someone else.

Top Bottom