• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide "Not to be Taken Orally" Doc Guide by Cyphus *Plus tutorial vid by SmashMac*

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
oh you can (only on FFers), but not only is up+b cancelling for combos a gimmick, if you **** it up and actually go the direction with them, they pretty much punish with death.

Purple_Haze

Smash Cadet
Um, you mostly go the opposite direction if you fail up-b cancel. You only follow them of you really mess up, and those are usually the people who haven't practiced enough, or haven't practiced at all.
So it's either you get it, or you go the other way which is also a good thing cause your opponent can't get to you fast enough.
So your not setting yourself up for **** at all, unless you suck.
Oh and if they shield, that increases the chances of you actually pulling it off.
The only way you could get completely ***** is if they side-step. Cause your basically hitting nothing, and (if you haven't noticed) it's harder to pull it off when there is nothing there.
And it's better to try to do it when your opponent is at a high percentage so when he/she gets hit they have less time to recover. And yes, it is better on fast fallers.

Oh, and don't do it if you KNOW you can't or have little practice. Cause it will **** you up. BUT it CAN be used in a combo.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
I remember Smashmac telling me like 2 years ago that upb cancelling oos vs Peach is extremely good. Thoughts?

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
I've never been able to get the upb cancelling (that's right, not even once on normal speed). That's part of the reason I ended up not maining Doc like 3 or so years ago haha.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
It's not really so useful against FFers that know how to deal with it.

Floaties on the other hand, it's good for.

___

And there really shouldnt be any more discussion here.

It all outta be here

buDinoNC

Smash Rookie
i started maining doc few time ago. i have a question: i cant taunt cancel, can someone explain how to do it? and do u know if it works on pal too? (i use pal)

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
Woah...

I've been trying to find a new main lately, and I've found out that I'm not terrible with Doc. XD

Now, I've been playing some lvl 9 computers since I can't play with any human players, and This is happened to me multiple times: Doc's Fair has a phantom hit somewhere in there, because I'll execute his Fair, I'll land on the ground forgetting to L-cancel, and the opponent will take damage after I have already landed?

Can someone agree or disprove this?

SmashMac

Smash Lord
Hmm that sounds awkward CA5H but I wouldn't doubt that one of those hit-boxes in his fair is kinda broken. I have phantomed someone with it before as well. Oh and if you're going to practice some tech stuff against CPUs, make them level 4. They DI better.

omnibus2

Smash Cadet
Thanks so much for the details on the matchup for every single character. This will help my dr against dk.

Kapa

Smash Rookie
You're the man cyphus

Cyphus you are a new doc hero for me. Even though i'm a ganon main, i like playing doc as an equivalent secondary. This is the best guide out to date (trust me i've read them all). Mad props on the time you took to make this. Keep up the good work.

TheSweeper

Smash Rookie
I really enjoyed this guide, I often find myself going back to it to polish techniques. Definitely helped my game vs Captain Falcon, seeing as before I read the guide I barely shuffld bair. Great guide!

Grodion

Smash Cadet
hey guys, im a new doc main. i found all these techniques help my doc in general by alot, so thanks for that. the "docs checkup" video either wont work for me, or is down... is it possible to get someone to re-puload that? thanks.

VGmasta

Smash Lord
hey guys, im a new doc main. i found all these techniques help my doc in general by alot, so thanks for that. the "docs checkup" video either wont work for me, or is down... is it possible to get someone to re-puload that? thanks.
Welcome aboard the Doc mains, Grodion.

That hyperlink to the "Doctor's Checkup" wasn't working for me either. It took me a while to find the actual video. But here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp_qhEx3zKE

I've also added the video into my playlist of Dr. Mario combo videos. It consists of most (maybe all) of the combo videos with Dr Mario along with some other useful videos. Feel free to check that out as well:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL99BB8038C0A359FA

Grodion

Smash Cadet
thank you sooo much. i have been searching for this vid for more then a month, this will help my doc game alot :). ill be uploading videos of me playing soon.

SmashMac

Smash Lord
I've updated all of my links to my videos and this guide in my threads. I've also updated the link associated with my signature regarding "The Doctor's Checkup". Thanks for pointing that out guys.

Grodion

Smash Cadet
ugh, sorry for not getting my vids uploaded. my bro took the camera with him to college. ill just ask my friend if i can borrow his.

rk-9000

Smash Apprentice
damn long time since last post, anyways great guide cyphus helped alot but i was wondering just how important is WDing with doc, i know hes not luigi and he can function without it but i was just wondering

VGmasta

Smash Lord
i was wondering just how important is WDing with doc, i know hes not luigi and he can function without it but i was just wondering
It is imperative that one can wavedash as Doc. Wavedashing is a great movement and spacing tool. So Doc definitely needs it. Doc is otherwise, wayy too easy to punish because of how predictable his movements would become. His wavedash isn't as long as Luigi's, but Doc's wavedash still gives him a bunch of great options for moving in and out and excellent spacing.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yeah don't worry. Just try to learn the basics of Doc for now. When I started I couldn't WD for ****.

It's good to learn it tho. How was your progress on learning to WD?

rk-9000

Smash Apprentice
the thing is, i dont have any issues wding between kills and stuff i just have problems trying to implement that into when im actually fighting as a way to move, hopefully its just a practice thing though and ill get better over time

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yeah I also used to only be able to WD after someone was killed. I try to show that I can WD, but it's just that I couldn't implement in battle.

Just keep practicing it by yourself, like wave dashing and wave landing with your main. Then keep trying to do it in battle and if you can't do it, just play the battle out and try again another time.

Dunno why but after sometime I was able to wavedash in battle. : D

St. Viers

Smash Champion
I would say the most useful thing to learn with wding is to do it out of your shield, and wave-dashing off the ledge onto the stage. While actually fighting, use it to fix your spacing, mixed in with dash dancing.

I was the same way (I could wavedash, but didn't know how to use it), and I started overusing it, and now I think I got the balance right XD

Grodion

Smash Cadet
but not many people play melee these days... hopefully the next smash game will include wd

St. Viers

Smash Champion
melee still has a pretty active tournament scene but unfortunately its more likely that the next game will be more like brawl 2 than melee 2
The game cube is indestructable. As long as people keep the melee disc in the cube, you can play it forever lol. Screw newer games and systems

Grodion

Smash Cadet
your probably right, the next smash game will probably suck. im just glad that i switched back from brawl to melee

Grodion

Smash Cadet
ah. in that case, okay:awesome: back on topic
Edit: is it just me, or is doc a hard player to play with?

Top Bottom