• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

North AL Presents: FAP! - Huntsville, AL. July 24-25 NOW WITH BRAWL+

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
If you ban wobbling, please also ban fox's shine, puff's rest, and peach's down smash, as those are also cheap moves =)
Why is wobbling's fairness a point of contention? Be realistic. The community will never approve, and its approval should be the TO's focus.

A set-by-set agreement between players is the only way to go imo.

Ballistics

Smash Champion
Why is wobbling's fairness a point of contention? Be realistic. The community will never approve, and its approval should be the TO's focus.

A set-by-set agreement between players is the only way to go imo.
Why would you have it banned? Because its easy to do? Because you don't like dying from one move?

Here's why I think people want wobbling banned. Although Jigglypuff's rest is also a one move kill, it happens so fast that people don't mind dying from it. When they get wobbled, they have to watch as the other player slowly butters them up to their deaths and this incapacity to fight back hurts their feelings. And don't get me wrong, I understand this and I have been wobbled many times and have also been frustrated by it.

But that frustration is not a legitimate reason to take away an advantage from the ice climbers. Impartiality and fairness should be the focus of rules not preference.

The only legitimate argument against wobbling is that it can be used to stall a match, but stalling is frowned upon in melee and noone would attempt to do this anyway. This problem can be solved by putting a percentage limit on the wobble (compromises are good!).

To further embellish on the rest - wobble metaphor, some would say that jiggs' rest is harder to accomplish than wobbling, however, this comes mostly from ignorant players that think wobbling can be achieved with any grab. In fact, wobbling is situational and can only be performed when nana is close at hand to popo, meaning that if you do get wobbled, you were either shield grabbed or grabbed while the ice climbers player was in his comfort zone. So ultimately you messed up somehow. Just as if you get rested its also your fault, because you either did a dash attack on the jigglypuff's shield or didn't DI an upthrow well or missed a tech etc.

Both moves are usually instant kills so if you ban wobbling for that reason you have to ban the rest move as well. They both take roughly the same amount of skill to pull off, or at least are both hard to set up, so you can't use the cheap argument. And the stalling argument can be nullified with a percentage limit.

But you're right, even though fairness should be the sole determinant of rules at a tournament, ultimately its up to the community, but I don't think JWT asked anyone whether or not they want wobbling banned. If you already did JW my bad.

The way I see it is that you have three options to vote on:
1) total ban; but be aware this opens doors to other move bans, now that you have started to ban non-glitch incorporating moves
2) no ban
3) a compromise where wobbling can only be done 30 percent at a time, since the strongest moves in melee usually deal 30 percent

But whatever you do, please stop assuming that it is evil and that it should be default perma banned

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Why would you have it banned?
arbustos said:
The community will never approve, and its approval should be the TO's focus.
I don't think wobbling is broken. It runs counter to everything I like about Melee, but objectively it shouldn't be banned. However, the community disagrees and that is really all that matters.

I guess a poll would be nice to back up that claim. Maybe everyone is really a closet-wobbling supporter.

Edit: If I were to vote on the issue, I'd be subjective as ****. Pro-ban all the way. It kills fun far worse than fox platform/bair camping or any other reprehensible tactic that wins.

Ballistics

Smash Champion
I don't think wobbling is broken. It runs counter to everything I like about Melee, but objectively it shouldn't be banned. However, the community disagrees and that is really all that matters.

I guess a poll would be nice to back up that claim. Maybe everyone is really a closet-wobbling supporter.
Word sorry for preaching to the choir. =)

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
wobbling should be banned all the time.

not that it matters, but wobbling legal = no Reneblade attendance.

(i believe in you j00t)

Wiggins

Smash Ace
I like renebladestorm though. I is want him to be going to this tourney for I has not sees him in so so sooooo long. Ronebladester you have to go.

Christopher if you don't go I shall jump off a bridge and leave a note saying you broke my heart. Same thing applies if you retire from meleez. Just sayin.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Reneblade said he isn't coming already.

He might as well say if rest is banned I'm not coming. If that holds weight with you, just wait until he says falcon only or im not coming.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
And just so everyone knows, J00t isn't going to change any rules based on whether people threaten to show up or not. Its just stupid for people to think that he will.

Reneblade said he isn't coming already.
Did he? I thought he said he wouldn't come if wobbling was unbanned.
And about when will the next poe be? ~Summer? It was enjoyable.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
im not coming cause no1 is stepping up to drive.

also, 1 hit kill is fine

infinites that take minimal technical demand/practice are not

Zone

Smash Champion
im not coming cause no1 is stepping up to drive.

also, 1 hit kill is fine

infinites that take minimal technical demand/practice are not
I didn't know it was hard to push Down+B at opportune times, it's almost as easy as pushing Z, or L(orR)+A, then tapping A button at the right pace, at the opportune times.

I'd have to agree with Ballistics, Wobbling shouldn't ever be banned. I don't know what the big deal is anyways. W/o wobbling, you're going to get wrecked nearly just as bad if a Good IC grabs you anyways.

How is you getting grabbed by IC(Your mistake.) into wobbling...

any different than jiggs jab reseting(Your mistake), Grabbing to upthrow with bad DI (Your mistake), Pounding(Your mistake), tech chasing, Rolling, out of shield into rests...

except for the one sole fact that one takes a lot longer than the other one.

I don't think it should be banned, but I'm not gonna cry over it if it is.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Banning wobbling is nothing more than non-IC mains trying to make it easier on themselves.

If a proposition on banning rest was made, who wouldnt support it! (unless you played Jiggs) I would love to not have to worry about Rest. After all, it takes minimal skill and Jiggs players don't need it anyway. They have broken moves all over.

Now I personally would of course not want rest to be banned for the same reasons I dont want wobbling to be banned, but you can see how easy it is to sh*t on someone elses character in order to make your life easier.

Zone

Smash Champion
Banning wobbling is nothing more than non-IC mains trying to make it easier on themselves.

If a proposition on banning rest was made, who wouldnt support it! (unless you played Jiggs) I would love to not have to worry about Rest. After all, it takes minimal skill and Jiggs players don't need it anyway. They have broken moves all over.

Now I personally would of course not want rest to be banned for the same reasons I dont want wobbling to be banned, but you can see how easy it is to sh*t on someone elses character in order to make your life easier.
It's just the look of how wobbling looks that makes people afraid. IT LOOKS like an infinite.

But oh that's right... we got 4 stocks so it's technically only 1/4 of your life. That's why I don't care about rest or wobbling. You get 4 chances to not get grabbed while nana is RIGHT NEXT to popo ready to go.

-Chad-

Slackerator

Try playing super smash bros instead of super grab bros.

Nite

Smash Champion
Actually a rest doesn't always kill you. Wobbling...pretty much does. You can't DI that ****. xD

PEEF!

Smash Hero
If you miss a grab, nana dies.

No, really. Thats how it happened 100% of the time vs RockCrock, and if you watched Wobbles vs Tink and Kels, it was miss a grab, nana dies.

And rest doesn't always kills you. It will always kill you after 30 or 40 though, Nite. You can also break out of a wobble anytime before 60 with Lovage-style mashing. Anyone can get out at 40.

Wobbling is stigma'd. That is the only issue. Banning it is a sad, non-competitive excuse for allowing yourself to be sloppy. I watched Kels 2-0 Wobbles, one of them being a 3 stock, the other 2, as Wobbles tried his absolute hardest to get a grab and wobble him. The thing is, Wobbles got ONE GRAB THE ENTIRE SET and Kels broke out before the wobble could start at 47%. What does this mean? The ICs can be (easily) beaten even when they can wobble. End of story, it isn't broken. Anyone that looks past that now is just trying to benefit themselves and take away useful tools from non-broken characters. A huge, one of a kind failing in Melee.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
I'm excited to fap.

I'm not excited to read all these posts e-arguing about wobbling and stuff.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
how is the internet connection at the venue?
if it's at least 1.5 or 1 mb up, i can do some cool stuff with the stream.

hey, does anybody have a powerful desktop (or laptop i guess) they could bring to this tournament for me?
i'm looking for dual or quad core, preferably quad, with 4+ gb of ram.
i can do some neato stuff with the stream with this computer and the internet

wobbling should be banned all the time.

not that it matters, but wobbling legal = no Reneblade attendance.

(i believe in you j00t)
And no Reneblade attendance = no videos :(
sreepyk records vids i hear

also hey guyse i guess i'll be in charge of the stream and recording of videos

also do you want me to help TO staff out i can do that

j00t

Smash Champion
Internet at the venue? Hrmm, I don't know. It's in an apartment venue so I don't think they'd have ethernet ports.

I could possibly bring my desktop, 4gb of ram and quad core.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
Internet at the venue? Hrmm, I don't know. It's in an apartment venue so I don't think they'd have ethernet ports.

ah, unfortunate. how about wifi?
perhaps some callin' is in order.

I could possibly bring my desktop, 4gb of ram and quad core.
that would be great! if you don't want to lug around your whole setup you can just bring the tower and i'll bring my monitor + keyboard + mouse. easier for you! just lmk.

I love you sleepy
ilu 2 bb

i probably cant come, my work isnt accepting requests off for the 24th anymore.
nuuuuuuuuuuuu

Zone

Smash Champion
that would be great! if you don't want to lug around your whole setup you can just bring the tower and i'll bring my monitor + keyboard + mouse. easier for you! just lmk.

ilu 2 bb

nuuuuuuuuuuuu
PC huh, Maybe I should bring mine and we can be stereotypes and play 1v1 SC

EDIT: TEAMMATE PLZ

Top Bottom