• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Norcal/Bay Area/DBR:NorCal Nevers: Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

aMtt

Smash Apprentice
how much time will there be before or during the tournament for some friendlies? I'll probably be out of the tournament pretty early, and I'm just wondering if I'll be able to play friendlies to get something out of the entry fee, or if I should just wait a few weeks, and come back after getting better.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
there are always friendlies at any tournament, just ask. just tournament matches take precedent. and once the tournament's over, friendlies for everyone ^^

Miharu

Smash Hero
how much time will there be before or during the tournament for some friendlies? I'll probably be out of the tournament pretty early, and I'm just wondering if I'll be able to play friendlies to get something out of the entry fee, or if I should just wait a few weeks, and come back after getting better.
It's going to be in pools format, so you'll get a lot more match as opposed if we were to run it as a standard double-elimination bracket.

If you don't want to enter, you can just come and play friendlies, but as was mentioned earlier, tournament matches take precedent over friendlies, so you'll be kick off of your TV if a tourney match needs to be played.

aMtt

Smash Apprentice
It's going to be in pools format, so you'll get a lot more match as opposed if we were to run it as a standard double-elimination bracket.

If you don't want to enter, you can just come and play friendlies, but as was mentioned earlier, tournament matches take precedent over friendlies, so you'll be kick off of your TV if a tourney match needs to be played.
sounds good, how many matches are going to be in pools?

Miharu

Smash Hero
HEY EVERYONE:

We need some input from the people that are going to attend!

For the NUB, the idea was proposed that we use that extra $300 or so we have sitting around from the failed NCT2 second tourney we raised. So, what would you guys like to be done with the money? Any ideas?

Also here is a preliminary ruleset, aka subject to change:

Pools to bracket. Each pool will have 6 people in it, so the number of pools will depend on how many people show up. The number of people that advance to bracket will be either 24, 32, or 48, whichever is closest to half of the number of entrants. For example, if we have 75 people, 32 people will advance to brackets: The top 2 from each of the 13 pools, plus 6 wild cards (top 6 records of people not in top 2 of their pool).

Each pool match will consist of a 2 of 3 set. The placings in pools are determined first by set wins, then individual game win-loss, and finally head-to-head. Head to head is last because overall diversity in winning and ability is more important.

Stage rules, etc., in pools and brackets may differ, with pools probably being simpler because it's hard to make noobs pay attention to rules.

But tentatively, pools will be what people are used to: 6 neutrals, advanced slobs, and 1 stage ban. Stage bans are to be done AFTER character selection. You may not change your character for the first game in response to the ban of your opponent.

In the brackets, Rainbow Cruise and DK64 will be added to random. In addition to a stage ban, each player gets one random reset.

Allowed counterpicks are: Rainbow Cruise, DK64, Corneria, Poke Floats, Mute City, Brinstar.

All other stages (including Green Greens and Jungle Japes) are BANNED.

You may ban neutral stages. If a neutral stage which was reset comes up a second time, it is still not played.

Wobbling is not banned.

Possible changes (your input here is greatly appreciated):

-Unbanning Green Greens and/or Japes. I personally think the random element of the falling and bomb blocks, and Brian the Klaptrap, are too much. Randomness itself is not necessarily bad (it's in even all our neutrals save FD and Battlefield), but the randomness has too high of a probability to significantly alter the outcome of the match, in my opinion.

-Allowing Peach's Castle as a counterpick in 2v2, or banning Corneria in 1v1. This stage has the same "problems" as Corneria, i.e. camping and a wall, and yet Corneria is still played, so I can't see the motivation to allow one and not the other. Additionally the random element of the Bullet Bill is easily avoidable and has the added bonus of forcing out campers. The random elements on Corneria, the arwings and lasers, are harder to avoid and more irritating.

-Alternative stage ban method. This is a stage ban method that I saw somewhere else that I think could find favor with all of you. Instead of picking a random first stage, each person takes turns striking neutrals until only one remains. That stage is then the first played. This requires an odd number of neutral stages, so for 5 neutrals, Yoshi's Story would be off, and for 7 neutrals, either DK64 or Cruise would be added. I think this method is good because then you truly get what both players think is the "neutral stage" in their particular matchup, and you eliminate the random element (ever notice how much people complain about randomness, and yet, to start every set, the first thing you do is hit a big button that says RANDOM). This method would be used in bracket only.

Let me know what you think!
Just re-quoting this in case people want to know the ruleset beforehand.

festizzio

Smash Champion
I like those rules, except I don't like the fact that Rainbow Cruise and DK 64 are on random for singles, those should only be counter picks.

quak

Smash Champion
peanut butter is the best cookie by far

followed by white chocolate macadamia

then snickerdoodle

but it is a proven fact that pie is the best desert ever

followed by ice cream

then brownies

and then cookies

FATTY HAS SPOKEN

The___cheese

Smash Lord
I'm gonna make a tier list of things that should be banned if we're hating on any sort of random whatsoever, and one for if we're allowing things.

No randomness at all bans:

Every stage with some like a tree that blows, or anything of that sort (even shy guys) = banned.

Luigi = banned for randomness.

G&W = banned for randomness.

Things that should be banned if we're banning corneria for camping:

Non aggressive Peaches.

Falco.

Donkey Kong against people that have no projectiles.

Young Link.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I'm gonna make a tier list of things that should be banned if we're hating on any sort of random whatsoever, and one for if we're allowing things.

No randomness at all bans:

Every stage with some like a tree that blows, or anything of that sort (even shy guys) = banned.

Luigi = banned for randomness.

G&W = banned for randomness.

Things that should be banned if we're banning corneria for camping:

Non aggressive Peaches.

Falco.

Donkey Kong against people that have no projectiles.

Young Link.
lol, wtf? Why would you ban dk against people without projectiles? which is only like 7 characters anyways, if that. lol, actually, i have no idea how many characters don't have projectiles, but i don't think that its many

Top Bottom