• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Norcal/Bay Area/DBR:NorCal Nevers: Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Gaara♥

Smash Master
i completely agree with the above post. I very rarely get to lay but when I do I can feel myself getting a lot better

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
i will never forget that cultural festival is bunkaisai
i was trying to find the right sub for LS ep 24, the one that skips the intro
so i heard
"bunkasaika?"
about 8 times in a row

SuperRad

Smash Master
so
i played against sheridan a TON yesterday
i wasn't doing that well

but i had a weird realization today:
during one of our last games [sheik vs his gaw] i was at my last stock around 60% and i had just killed him. all of a sudden i was just like "**** that, i'm not going to accept defeat" and i just went off. i think i got him to like 75% before he hit me again. but then all of a sudden he got some momentum and ended up donig a stupid gaw combo on me and i died.

i need to find out how to activate the inner beast and stop playing passively. for that split second i was playing like i didnt suck because i was thinking like i didnt suck.

i dunno, it was cool.

ps sheridan is the coolest dude

Naota21t

Smash Champion
i play better when im pissed and don't wanna lose.

maybe you're just more aggressive and controling as sheik.

control is exactly what you want as sheik.

Miztik

Smash Master
move out of the armpit
easier said than done lol, but when i do move out of modesto its going to be to socal for smash i mean school, unless i decide to go stay with my dad in fairfield when he moves there ina few months...

also i think playing with aggression makes you play alot smarter cuz your doing what ever it takes to win and your even more cautious.

Naota21t

Smash Champion
easier said than done lol, but when i do move out of modesto its going to be to socal for smash i mean school, unless i decide to go stay with my dad in fairfield when he moves there ina few months...

also i think playing with aggression makes you play alot smarter cuz your doing what ever it takes to win and your even more cautious.
that kinda contradicts itself. sorta... not really.

when i play to win, im just a lot more aggressive, which gets rid of what I think my biggest weakness is, shielding too much.

joeplicate

Smash Master
I find myself disagreeing with P's method of getting good

I do much, much better when I just try to play at my best, because otherwise I'll get too analytical over my game and lose my fighting spirit

maybe I'm just not used to playing at my best all of the time so I can't analyze myself as well while I'm playing

but nah, **** that, I'm a lot smarter when I try to go beast mode, too
it sort of contradicts my style/character, I'd imagine

when you play marth or sheik it's a lot easier to compartmentalize the game--dash away, grab, bait something out and punish, edgeguard mode
but with fox, I think, you're on the offense a LOT more and the game boils down to less of decision making and more putting your opponent on the defensive

which is really hard to do if you consciously think about every situation

I'd rather just play with my gut for now

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero

I do much, much better when I just try to play at my best, because otherwise I'll get too analytical over my game and lose my fighting spirit

maybe I'm just not used to playing at my best all of the time so I can't analyze myself as well while I'm playing

when you play marth or sheik it's a lot easier to compartmentalize the game--dash away, grab, bait something out and punish, edgeguard mode
but with fox, I think, you're on the offense a LOT more and the game boils down to less of decision making and more putting your opponent on the defensive

sounds like johns

the bold is totally wrong, fox is super easy to play. there's not much to think about, you just recognize certain situations and do it

the problem is you can't **** up with fox or you get comboed or edge guarded every time so the burden is on you to never mess up offensively. if you're playing sloppily then you will, and therefore you will lose.

and trying to play your best is no john for not recognizing habits/situations and performing accordingly. adjusting and punishing is everything, you're going to miss a lot of stuff if you keep playing automatica

LunInSpectra

Smash Lord
stackoverflow.com/users/1459556/rey-gonzales

I actually like P's method, I've used it before to improve. I think you can use it, too. When you're in a tournament match and a setup arises, you'd already know exactly what to do if you've pre-analyzed it. I don't consciously analyze, but I do consciously remember the decisions that work the best. When you don't do your homework, kids, you get punished.

Also, Fox is the hardest character to play because he's so freakin' fast. If I could think faster I'd be a much better player.

joeplicate

Smash Master
nah P I wouldn't call it a john

it's just that I have to get to my best level of play before I can actually start making improvements

if I **** up when I'm playing sloppy or I'm not into it, and if I focus on that mistake to try and fix it, then I'll just end up getting down on myself

plus it's not a "real" error in the sense that I might not have done that if I was playing up to snuff

which takes a lot for me to get to (at least as of now)

Lib3r4t3

Smash Ace
Would anyone be available to house me during and a bit after Genesis? I want to stay in Cali for a bit and leech off smashers, preferably of the Melee variety.

Vodage

Smash Journeyman
HEY GUISE WHATS UP

Zomg if you've never tried this play super sudden death with metal box, super mushroom, heart, and maxim tomato on very high...

Its hella awesome

Celph

Smash Journeyman
nah P I wouldn't call it a john
I'm not even trying to be mean, but that's exactly what it is, a john. I mean, there's nothing wrong with having to john as long as you recognize it for what it is and work on getting your mental past that point, but for right now it's a john.

if I **** up when I'm playing sloppy or I'm not into it, and if I focus on that mistake to try and fix it, then I'll just end up getting down on myself
Then that's your problem. Stop getting down on yourself. There's your john. There's no excuse for that. **** happens. I wasn't playing my best when I went over your house the Friday before SD, and it was annoying me a bit. But it's like, sometimes you're not playing your best, so you just shrug your shoulders and power through it, with the faith that if you keep that mindset, eventually it will come to you (and there's no reason it shouldn't since it's all muscle memory).

plus it's not a "real" error in the sense that I might not have done that if I was playing up to snuff
I wouldn't point out a habit of yours if it's not something I haven't seen regularly. You roll all the time, you get off the edge too early when it comes to edge guarding, you shield pressure too recklessly (spamming moves and allowing your opponent to roll out of them without getting punished), etc. Those things are bad habits you have, period, not only bad habits you have when you're playing poorly. Those are very basic things that you can make sure you NEVER do. Like no matter how bad I'm playing, I'm not going to be attacking you off the ledge.

The hardest part of this game is the mental. (Meditation helps FWIW.) Bad stuff may be happening to you, and in turn negative emotions, but you can look at them and recognize them for what they are while keeping in mind they don't make up you as a person. They're happening to you, but they're not you. Acknowledge it, move on and keep your head in the game.

Zoap

Smash Master
Justin please don't. Your transitions kill puppies. P's method of anything shouldn't be followed, he lost to Shroomed. Hey Shroomed how did you get so good?

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
by fast falling up airs and imitating his idol ... brandon
He actually just plays Doc like he plays Mario.

He doesnt like camping, and hes really impatient, but he can combo, and thats all he'll go for. He oftens gets **** for not finishing something when he could have.

Top Bottom